facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 22, 2004, 02:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara
Default Australia win, Congratulations!

And kudos to India. Well fought. Gilchrist had taken the game away in the first 10 overs. To come back from the dead and hang on with a chance till the 3rd last ball, speaks volumes for the sheer determination of the team. Ganguly epitomizes this fighting spirit of this team and the other guys follow to the hilt.

A few myths have also exploded in the VB series.

1. Michael Bevan is the best finisher in the game. No he is not, Bret Lee is better.

2. Ian Harvey is the best bowler in the death. No he is not. He got taken for a bit in Brisbane and was slaughtered in 1 over by Yuvraj at the SCG.

3. Damien Martyn is a classy Number 4. He is not. He is a bunny for the Indians.

4. The Australians are a class batting act. No they are not. Barring Gilchrist, Hayden(one innings) and Symonds (on a couple of occasions), they have been pathetic.

5. You need neutral umpires in an international game. No you do not, particularly if one of them is Steve Bucknor, you can well do without the neutral umpire. His interpretation of the wide balls today was pathetic in the Indian innings. And when Australia batted he was at his strictest best. And I don’t know how an umpire can deny a batsman the right to change his bat, if the batsman so desires. Not that it mattered, Yuvraj tonked Harvey for 22 with the same old bat. I am not saying that any of Bucknor’s decisions influenced the match, but his very attitude is partisan.

By the way, does anybody know if the umpires are already picked for Bangladesh-Zimbabwe series? I pray that at least they will not be the elites like Ashoka De Silva and Steve Bucknor!

Old January 22, 2004, 03:05 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I actually watched the game. After the rain delay I thought Aus would succumb to pressure. But the Aus power was greater than ever. What a show. But Inida did fight, no doubt about it.

I wish one day BD batsman can bat like this ("akash-kusum").
Old January 22, 2004, 03:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

No, not "akash-kushum", Nasif! I firmly believe that its not too long before our boys will show their class. And why not? The infra-structure is developing, there is more and more motivation by the youngsters, there is zeal and enthusiasm in the mass etc. Look at Sri Lanka. If they can make it, then why not us?

I never give up hope.

[Edited on 22-1-2004 by Navarene]
Old January 22, 2004, 06:02 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Yes, yes I'm one of the hopeful people here. I believe we will do it one day...the time will come and its not too far.
Old January 22, 2004, 09:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

1. Bevan and Bichel together are the best finishers in the game

2. Ian Harvey is a great bowler at the death you can't judge on him from just 4 amazing shots by Yuvraj

3. Marto is a classy 4 whether he's in form or not

4. Watch it!!! You can't base a team on one tournament which they happen to be winning and call them bad! Clarke's done his bit. Martyn and Ponting were brilliant in the WC Final. Gilchrist and Hayden have done well this series. Symonds has been great in the WC and in the VB Series. As I said before you can't judge a team on one tournament
Old January 22, 2004, 09:33 PM
Test Cricketer

1. Yes, I doubt Bevan could have pulled off a brilliant six like that in the last over.

2. Habibul_fan - what about Harvey's performance in Brisbane? Nothing to write home about. btw, i think that guy might improve if he gets a friggin hair cut. I'm surprised he can see anything through that mop!

3. I think it's unfair to write him off like that. Damien Martyn just isn't in form. I'm sure the Indians will be praying that he stays that way for the rest of the series

4. I'd say any team that can score in the high 200s - low 300s in what.. four consecutive matches has a class batting act (and that means the Indians too of course!). hmm but then again the bowling in this entire series has been quite abysmal.

On another note, I dunno much about this Yuvraj guy. The commentators were saying that in India he has a yoyo like status of being a hero and then suddenly a villian. What's with that? So far (apart from his direct shot at the wicket attempts) he's been great with the bat!
Old January 23, 2004, 04:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Ian Harvey's over reminds of another one of his overs. But that time he was batting. It was against a game against Zimbabwe the last time they were in Australia to play one day.