facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 8, 2012, 04:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_master
Shohag Gazi, Abul Hasan get maiden call-ups
ESPNcricinfo staff
November 8, 2012

Offspinner Sohag Gazi and medium-pacer Abul Hasan have been selected in Bangladesh's Test squad for the first time, for the opening fixture of the home series against West Indies in Mirpur from November 13.

Hasan, a 20-year-old fast bowler from Sylhet, has played four Twenty20 internationals for Bangladesh this year. In six first-class games, he's taken eight wickets at 43.37 apiece. Gazi, 21, has 87 wickets at an average of 24 from 18 first-class games for Barisal.

Squad: Mushfiqur Rahim (capt), Mahmudullah (vc), Tamim Iqbal, Junaid Siddique, Shahriar Nafees, Shakib Al Hasan, Naeem Islam, Nazimuddin, Nasir Hossain, Elias Sunny, Shahadat Hossain, Rubel Hossain, Abul Hasan, Shohag Gazi.

Link
----
So, no Enamul Jr. or Anamul Haque. Why Abul Hasan?? Is he better than Shafiul?
Shohag Gazi is getting test cap for sure !?!
Mahmudullah or Naeem which one to be in XI?
I liked the team. But only one question from me, If selectors were determined to call Shohag in test team then why they did not give adequate exposure to him? Why he was not in the A team against WI HP?

Old November 8, 2012, 05:35 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H.Rubel
I liked the team. But only one question from me, If selectors were determined to call Shohag in test team then why they did not give adequate exposure to him? Why he was not in the A team against WI HP?
My thoughts exactly! I found that odd.
Old November 8, 2012, 05:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
ESPNcricinfo staff
November 8, 2012

Offspinner Sohag Gazi and medium-pacer Abul Hasan have been selected in Bangladesh's Test squad for the first time, for the opening fixture of the home series against West Indies in Mirpur from November 13.

Hasan, a 20-year-old fast bowler from Sylhet, has played four Twenty20 internationals for Bangladesh this year. In six first-class games, he's taken eight wickets at 43.37 apiece. Gazi, 21, has 87 wickets at an average of 24 from 18 first-class games for Barisal.

Squad: Mushfiqur Rahim (capt), Mahmudullah (vc), Tamim Iqbal, Junaid Siddique, Shahriar Nafees, Shakib Al Hasan, Naeem Islam, Nazimuddin, Nasir Hossain, Elias Sunny, Shahadat Hossain, Rubel Hossain, Abul Hasan, Shohag Gazi.

Link
----

Man nothing change on selection, selector still think abul hasan still Bangladesh's best bowler
Old November 8, 2012, 05:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Abul and Shahadat can destroy us. I hope I am wrong I can't see bangladesh even have any chance of competing
Old November 8, 2012, 06:01 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mij
Man nothing change on selection, selector still think abul hasan still Bangladesh's best bowler
Abul is the best pacer ever born on the earth.
Old November 8, 2012, 06:20 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Guys, relax.
I dont think Abul is getting any game.
He is there simply as an understudy and to carry the drinks.
If he is getting picked repeatedly that means the coach, captain and the selector sees something in him which obviously we the computer sit in experts are missing.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old November 8, 2012, 06:24 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Guys, relax.
If he is getting picked repeatedly that means the coach, captain and the selector sees something in him which obviously we the computer sit in experts are missing.
Bujhlam.
Old November 8, 2012, 06:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Guys, relax.

OK, we are sitting behind the computer missing things, but his career stats / performace doest not even suggest that he should be in the team.
Old November 8, 2012, 08:14 AM
MLC World Series I

Quote:
Guys, relax.
As an understudy to SRK?

Imagine him bowling to Gayle in a Test match! Thinking of it, is giving me a depression
Old November 8, 2012, 09:17 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
Tamim's Test average at 38 is not the highest to be honest and is certainly way less than many established players such as Strauss (plus 40), Trott (plus 50), Cook (47) and Bell (46) who have all batted at the top for England recently. The England fixtures against the top 4 countries in full 5 Test match series, are arguably far more tricky than Bangladesh's.

Shakib's batting average at Test level is 34 batting and 31 bowling. Kallis (56 bat average and 32 bowling) and Watson (37 bat ave and 29 bowling) Ashwin (39 batting and 26 bowling) have far superior stats - again against mostly top 4 teams regularly.

Even spinners Swann (29 bowling average), Harbajhan (32 bowling average) - not even in India's team atm and Ajmal (27 bowling average), are stand alone spinners who are game changers.

I think Shakib is a talented cricketer, no doubt about that. Tamim had still some way to go to be classified as 'world class' though.

We will never know how Shakib would perform in another country's team in different conditions and expectations of winning. It's all speculation.

On the basis that most believe Shakib (and a lesser extent Tamim) to be truly world class, I would expect some consistently outstanding performances at home against West Indies in Test matches.

The only top 5 team England have played a full 5 Test match series with in the last 7 years is Australia. Even the recent battle for the No 1 Test spot with South Africa was a 3 Test match series.

Joe Root averaged 23 on the recent Lions tour to Bangladesh in ODIs. Although that's another format, those are hardly the stats of a 'World Class' opener. Cowan doesn't even average 30 and he's never scored a Test century. Tamim averages 49 against top 5 teams. He averages 63 against England and 58 against India.

Ashwin averages 62 with the ball against top 5 teams and Tahir averages 44. Neither even hold a candle to Shakib's average of 35. Even Lyon averages 37. Only Ashwin has a better batting average but his highest score is only 62. Shakib scored 144 against a Pakistani bowling attack that annihilated England's batting lineup.

I agree Tamim needs to score some more centuries and take his average above 40 to be considered World Class. But I still stand by statement that Tamim could get into the England and Australia teams right now and Shakib could get into the South Africa and Australia teams right now.
Old November 8, 2012, 09:17 AM
Cricket Guru

First of on what basis you are putting an Abul understudy ...what he will do hanging out with Sharapova of Banglar cricket and Shahrukh of Bangla cricket..will he develop himself to be the Abul of Banglar cricket...also stop giving free ticket to captian and vice captain...he failed to perform in NCL...if they don't perform they better step down or get booted. What a mess even after getting chance after so many months but totally unorganized, unplanned, non professional standard of our team and management. big disaster ahead of us.
Old November 8, 2012, 09:30 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by maysun
As an understudy to SRK?

Imagine him bowling to Gayle in a Test match! Thinking of it, is giving me a depression
At this point, which pacer makes you feel confident bowling to Gayle...??
Old November 8, 2012, 09:37 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
First of on what basis you are putting an Abul understudy ...what he will do hanging out with Sharapova of Banglar cricket and Shahrukh of Bangla cricket..will he develop himself to be the Abul of Banglar cricket...also stop giving free ticket to captian and vice captain...he failed to perform in NCL...if they don't perform they better step down or get booted. What a mess even after getting chance after so many months but totally unorganized, unplanned, non professional standard of our team and management. big disaster ahead of us.
Top post buddy.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:33 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

I would bat Shakib at #3. #2 is still an issue and both SN and JS can be tried here. Unfortunately, there is no better prospect at the time.

One of the pacers will not make it and I think we all know who it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
My Test Match XI....

1. Tamim Iqbal
2. Shahriar Nafees
3. Junaid Siddiqi
4. Nasir Hossain
5. Shakib Al Hasan
6. Anamul Bijoy
7. Mushfiqur Rahim (c/wk)
8. Elias Sunny
9. Shafiul Islam
10. Nazmul Hossain
11. Rubel Hossain

Should take 3 seamers into a TEST match. Need one swing bowler, one seam bowler and one pace bowler.

Anamul should bat 4th wicket down to give him time.

Batting looks light from number 8, so top 7 HAVE to get the runs.

Nasir is a quality batter, must bat up. Nafees is a fighter as is Junaid. I would want fighters at the top to battle it out.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
True but our #4 and #5 spinners could probably get a cap for sides like WI, NZ, AUS, and perhaps even RSA.
I was thinking the same. Spin, especially left-arm spin, is our strength.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar89
1) Gayle to score double ton?
2) Samuels to score century + Man of series?
3) Darren Sammy to be leading wicket taker (out of all people)?

all this looks realistic
4) Tamim scores a 15--ball double century,
5) Shakib scores 150 and takes 12,
6) Sunny takes the other 8.

All these look realistic.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:46 AM

Correction. Not one of the, but the.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
First, let me congratulate you to join BanglaCricket - you have choosen one of the best cricket forum on earth!

^^^ all those scores could save WI from a humiliating defeat by losing three wicket to the Tigers!!
Old November 8, 2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maysun
As an understudy to SRK?

If that happens, Gayle will take 100 from him in an over!

Dear selectors, bowling quick is not everything.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:14 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
The only top 5 team England have played a full 5 Test match series with in the last 7 years is Australia. Even the recent battle for the No 1 Test spot with South Africa was a 3 Test match series.

Joe Root averaged 23 on the recent Lions tour to Bangladesh in ODIs. Although that's another format, those are hardly the stats of a 'World Class' opener. Cowan doesn't even average 30 and he's never scored a Test century. Tamim averages 49 against top 5 teams. He averages 63 against England and 58 against India.

Ashwin averages 62 with the ball against top 5 teams and Tahir averages 44. Neither even hold a candle to Shakib's average of 35. Even Lyon averages 37. Only Ashwin has a better batting average but his highest score is only 62. Shakib scored 144 against a Pakistani bowling attack that annihilated England's batting lineup.

I agree Tamim needs to score some more centuries and take his average above 40 to be considered World Class. But I still stand by statement that Tamim could get into the England and Australia teams right now and Shakib could get into the South Africa and Australia teams right now.
It's always nice to see how people tweak the stats to prove a point and strip out games.

I was using seasoned players (not Cowan or Lyon or Root - all of whom are almost unheard of). Shakib and Tamim are well known and always thrown forward as 'legends' of cricket by local fans.

I cannot say that Root, Cowan and Lyon have remotely the same experience!

I also used career stats and not partial stats.

But anyhow, let's hope Tamim and Shakib.. who can get into the England or Australian sides right now according to a few ... can dominate the West Indies and take the Bangladesh team to a well-deserved series Test win 2-0.

Let's come back to this after and see.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
ESPNcricinfo staff
November 8, 2012

Link
----
I'm sorry but Abul Hasan is not close to the right standard yet and Shohag Gazi is not required due to Ryad and Naeem.

Two glaring omissions in selection - 1. Shafiul appears to have gone completely backwards in the last two years, and 2. Nazmul has disappeared... with Rubel a recovering injury risk.

It just feels like no planning, no development and no concept of coaching has taken place.

Oh boy... all we can hope for is the pitches turn square, West Indies bat like Sylhet Royals and Tamim and Shakib score heavily
Old November 8, 2012, 11:23 AM
Cricket Guru

Coach did you have any chance to watch Al Amin Hossain? Any comments on him?
Old November 8, 2012, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Hey Coach, off-topic but your boys Budhwar/Vashisht got creamed, what's up with that? Tsk, tsk
Old November 8, 2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Hey Coach, off-topic but your boys Budhwar/Vashisht got creamed, what's up with that? Tsk, tsk
Smoked more like it!

I saw highlights and Vashisht looked like Shahdat at one stage on the world's flattest pitch.

Sanjay Budhwar, to be fair to him, has missed a whole year with an injury. It was his first match back and lacked any control or rhythm.

However, I am not with Haryana at this time sadly. I haven't seen the guys since May so no idea what they have been doing.

The best bowler looked to be Sachin Rana, who ironically, still does his bowling drills I gave him and stays in touch. I think it's going to be a long season for Haryana unless Mohit Sharma and Harshal Patel can swing it in partnership. Both destined for Indian Test cricket at some stage, but neither played against England...
Old November 8, 2012, 02:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

Waiting for the day when Ian Pont comes back to BD.

PS: www.dhakagladiators.com website spelled Players as Playesr!
Old November 8, 2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
I would bat Shakib at #3. #2 is still an issue and both SN and JS can be tried here. Unfortunately, there is no better prospect at the time.

We do have - Anam/Mominul