facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 15, 2004, 11:29 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Despite all these disasters..!!

Despite all these disasters all over...
I loved the power shots of Nafees.. (40 vs SA)
Aftab was Surprisingly alarming for the opposition.. (vs WI)
Nazmul was sharp and cool
Tapash’s all-time thinking head...

And I still love... (though wasn’t found in this Tour)
Ashraful’s lively displays..
Rajin’s stickiness
Pilot’s guardian role
Fire in the BD tail from Rafiq
Rana’s eyes full of dreams for the team..

Despite this completely heart-breaking showdown by the squad...
I’m now pretty sure that Whatmore Isn’t wrong when he is saying “They are failing to play upto their real merit...!!”

Because this is the very team, yes our BD team, who...
Earned some real respect from the Aus Soil !
Scared the hell out of Pakistan !!
Made England take the tour seriously in the Dhaka Stadium !!
Almost whitewashed Zimbabwe in their own backyard !!!
Made King Lara think hard on how to retain his captaincy in the WI !!!

Now the hard critics may not even bother to mention these ‘Hidden Prides’... but I say they do count!!

In my whole sane mind... the only reasons (not excuses!) that I can think of are:
# Panic of losing the Test-Status ?
# Constant pressure of Improving total performance every day??
# Serious lack of Senior players setting any kind of real remarkable examples to be proud and confident of for the new-comers???
# Imbalance of a workable Senior-Junior Ratio in the team... causing an overall ‘Inexperienced’ side???
# BCB’s complete Ignorance in Conducting highly competitive and standard level of Domestic cricket ???!

Well I guess for some or all of these reasons... the team looks hopeless and spineless!!...
We got the pearls but not the master-plan to bring out a precious necklace out of those!!!
BCB MUST TAKE SERIOUS STEPS...

Because as the old saying goes “Shomman orjon kora joto kothin... dhore rakha tar chaiteo onek beshi kothin!!”
So its only the beginning of the real and long hard work for BCB... do they realize it??!

Edited on, September 15, 2004, 4:40 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: Please do not use all caps. Thank you

Edited on, September 15, 2004, 5:11 PM GMT, by crickethorizon.
Old September 15, 2004, 11:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

I also think the three new kids did fairly well. Nafis played well first game, Aftab is full of promise and its his only second intl ( won't criticize him for not carrying on today ) and Nazmul, I thought was our best bowler in the tournament. Those two batsmen, I believe, will play well for us for a long time. Their talent is unquestionable.

However, I am very dissapointed with Ashraful. When will he fullfill his promises? He is still very cavalier and gets himself out more often than getting out by a good ball. I am not sure if he is suited for opening. But, they want him as an opener and they should stick to it for a while. Rajin, I am afraid is getting worse and worse everytime he comes into bat ( in One dayers ) and may soon have to make way for somebody else if he doesn't help himself. Golla..well..don't have much expectation from him. I know everybody was excited when he got back to back fifties in Sri Lanka and I hope he can get back to his familiar self when he returns to the flat tracks of Bangladesh against New Zealand.

Once Bashar comes back, he will take his no3. Nafis has to play top of the order. So, maybe he can go back opening and Ash back to no.5. Its a thought. We gotta find a way to play both Nafis and Aftab..
Old September 15, 2004, 12:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash,Rafiq,Wasim,Lee,Inzy

Ya, you are right. Agreed with both of you.
Old September 15, 2004, 01:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Because this is the very team, yes our BD team, who...
Earned some real respect from the Aus Soil !
Scared the hell out of Pakistan !!
Made England take the tour seriously in the Dhaka Stadium !!
Almost whitewashed Zimbabwe in their own backyard !!!
Made King Lara think hard on how to retain his captaincy in the WI !!!
No point dwelling on the past. They hardly inspire us anymore.

I'll have to agree with what Beamer said. The majority of the failure is due to the reckless batting display by the players who were relatively more experienced. One might think that Ashraful isn't suited for the opening slot, but I think Dav's intentions are rather long-term. He wants to groom him for the 2007 WC. Though that doesn't justify his irresponsible strokeplay and continuous fishing outside the offstump. I don't know what to say about Rajin anymore. I didn't expect much from Golla either. I don't consider him ODI material anyway.
Old September 15, 2004, 03:14 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
crickethorizon
# Serious lack of Senior players setting any kind of real remarkable examples to be proud and confident of for the new-comers???
An integruing point, I always thought of. 80's SriLanka or 90's Zimbabwe always had 2/3 players who can save their blushes/salvage pride or lead by example. I'm pretty sure young Ranatunga and De silva was inspired by consistant dazzling batting of Roy Dias or Deleep Mendis ( both scored few centuries with decent average). In Zimbabwe's case Devid Hutton's double century or Dankan Fletcher's inspiring batting must had influence on young Flower brothers. De Mel took 5-for few times for SriLanka at that time. Unfortunately our best batsmen of transitional period - Nannu, Bulbul or Akram, no disrespect intended, were not in the same league as them. So our transition was not smooth. Even in present situation, bar Bashar's test batting which is decent but not extra-ordinary, our senior batsmen continuously failed to score respectable runs let alone leading by example. Hence young guns actually make some history by themselves without any inspirational innings from a senior player.

Quote:
Beamer
I also think the three new kids did fairly well. Nafis played well first game
I would rather be careful in my selection of words from now on. They didn't do well, in my opinion, they did better than our so-called experience tossers. Don't get me wrong. Nafees was dropped twice (at 1 and 10), but didn't capitalize his chance. And I would not clap any 30s and 40s anymore. But I gotta say I'm pleased with them and the way they played still gives us little hope.

Quote:
Once Bashar comes back, he will take his no3. Nafis has to play top of the order. So, maybe he can go back opening and Ash back to no.5. Its a thought. We gotta find a way to play both Nafis and Aftab..
Agree. Ash always bats at 5 in my team.

I didn't have high hopes for Golla. This is him, he gave his best shot. If he manages to stay at the crease for 10+ runs, most likely he would stay longer than most of the other bats without throwing his wicket away. But he's not the most prolific one and was better choice than other openers (Hannan, Bidyut).

Edited on, September 15, 2004, 8:46 PM GMT, by Zephaniah.
Old September 15, 2004, 04:35 PM
Cricket Legend

we need a team of experts(international and national) to review the BD cricket for over the past 5 years or so and then give recommendation to the BCCB.

They can even give recommendation to make changes to the BCCB if they find that they need changes in adminstration more than players or coach. I think players and coaches are fine we need to really resolve this ASAP before we continue playing cricket and do more harm than good to our performance and morale, thinking that we will get better by playing more and more at the international level.
Old September 16, 2004, 04:19 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

I think I gotta say something being a tv-viewer to most of those who did not have the opportunity to watch the matches:

Nafees and Aftab looks like Akram Khan's uttorshuri - in One Day batting style - dhishum dhishum big shots players. But the major thing is that I believe they lack some crucial technical abilities, and they'll struggle after they lose their initial confidence against quality opponents. May be in the home series or in all the matches in the sub-continent, they'll be useful, but outside the sub-continent? They'll be found wanting.

I suppose its not their fault that our basic structure doesn't allow young players to be technically efficient - so the BCB should do what it must - at least to go to the standard that the Zimbabwe Board is, within the next 10 years.

Do you remember Taibu's words that I wrote in a new thread? He was right in one sense that our players do not have the basics as most of the young Zimbabwe players do.
Old September 16, 2004, 02:34 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

wel to me.... the problems r more psychological then in basics or techniques..

Edited on, September 16, 2004, 7:37 PM GMT, by crickethorizon.
Reason: typo
Old September 16, 2004, 02:46 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

i don't think the problem is that simply. i mean simply psycological. its actually a complex compound of all of them. and thats why it will be hard to get rid of. the only hope is, if someone can do it, its whatmore. despite all the disasters there are two good things in last two tournaments:

1. Rajjak Raj as a wonderful spinner and useful tailender.
2. A very good adition to our paper thin middle order, Naif Iqbal.

they both will continue playing for quite a few years in our cricket. and, this two inventions are some real light in deep, deeeeeeeeep dark.
Old September 16, 2004, 03:06 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Aftab looked good too
also Nazmul..

dont u think?
Old September 16, 2004, 03:17 PM
Cricket Legend

I think technique is something I would'nt worry too much about. Seriously, and I dare say that Dave is thinking along the same line. It can be fixed and the young age of our upcoming players provides enough time to correct the most common flaws. I also do not put too much concern about Taibu's remark that their players have their basics right compared to us. Looking at Nafees, he is quite capable of those orthodox classy shots, and would'nt be surprised if some of the other players are capable too.In some of Nafees shots, the talent required was a sense of shot anticipation, timing and follow thru. I am pretty sure that's what I saw in a few occassions. Plenty of reason to build up the fledgling team amidst all the gloom about lack of technique.