facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 28, 2010, 07:11 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose
Default Muralitharan slams Bedi, calls him controversy monger

Muralitharan slams Bedi, calls him controversy monger

Quote:
Retired spin great Muttiah Muralitharan on Wednesday lashed out at his long-time detractor Bishen Singh Bedi, calling the former Indian captain a controversy monger and ordinary bowler who would have been hammered by any batsman if was he playing now. Bedi has been an untiring critic of
Muralitharan by repeatedly calling the Sri Lankan a "chucker" and asking the ICC to ban the Sri Lankan's "doosra" as it was illegal.

Muralitharan, who retired last week after completing 800 Test wickets at Galle against India, made an uncharacteristic attack on Bedi, saying that he was just an ordinary bowler.

Asked about the lack of world-class spinners in India, except for Harbhajan Singh, Muralitharan said Bedi was not in the league B S Chandrasekhar, Srinivas Venkataraghavan and Erapalli Prasanna.

"Bedi, I don't think he does not even come to a contest on that. I saw some (of his) bowling of his playing days. In modern era, if he plays he will get hammered every ball, that is what will happen. So no comparison," the world's most successful spinner said in an interview.

"Prasanna is a good bowler. I have seen his bowling. Venkataraghavan is good. But Bedi does not come under it," he said.

Though without mentioning the constant criticism he got from Bedi, the affable Sri Lankan advised the former Indian captain to refrain from whipping up controversies.

"He (Bedi) is also a controversial person. He has lot of controversies everywhere in the world. And he should think about himself first rather than talking about other people," Muralitharan said.

Asked about Bedi's comments to ban the 'doosra' from international cricket, Muralitharan lampooned the Indian by saying that he has no variations in his bowling and was therefore critical of others.

"He (Bedi) did not have any variation. He just bowled left arm spin and pitch did the variation for him. That is what he bowled,"
he said.

Muralitharan said Anil Kumble was the best spinner India has produced and records speak for themselves.

"You forget the best spinner is Anil Kumble. Not Bedi or Venkataraghavan or any other. I think the best ever spinner produced (in India) is Kumble. No doubt about it and nobody can doubt it. Statistics-wise and on the basis of other things, he is far ahead than other guys", he said. Muralitharan refused to compare between Sachin Tendulkar and Brian Lara but said on the basis of statistics, the Indian maestro was far ahead of any batsman.

"Sachin and Lara have been the most consistent batsmen in the world (to face my bowling). I admire them. I have most regards for those two guys and now place Ricky Ponting also in that list.

"I don't know who plays me the better. They are different individuals. Statistics-wise Sachin is heading the pack. You can say Sachin is the best on that basis. But you see the other two players are great players, they are also legends. I think you cannot make comparisons. They play in different conditions and situation,"
he said.

Muralitharan said he has no regrets in his cricketing career though it was haunted by controversies over his bowling action.

"It (controversy) did not haunt me at all. I went through it and I have done what I wanted to do in my cricketing life. So no regrets. Nothing. I am very happy to retire (from Test cricket)," he said.

He does not agree that players are getting injured due to more volume of cricket now that Twenty20 has become big.

"I don't think so. If a player is fit to play he should play every format. The players careers are very short, they enjoy all form of the games. So the three forms of cricket will continue though Test is the ultimate," he said.

Muralitharan said it would be difficult for India to come back into the three-match series against Sri Lanka as they have little chance to win the second Test.

"Sri Lanka is too strong at the moment. They are playing really well and the batsmen are getting lot of runs. It could be difficult to get a result in this match unless Sri Lanka wins. India cannot win this Test match. Unless something unpredictable happens,"
he said.

He refused to think that the era of Australian domination was over and said they are still a force to reckon in world cricket.

"Very difficult to say Australia have declined. They may decline for about a year, six months, five months. Then they can come back. So you can't say they are a bad side. They are a very good side," he said.

"Statistically, they were performing brilliantly during the last decade. Now they missed players like Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath ... Matthew Hayden and Justin Langer to open. So the youngsters will have to come and fill the void. It took a little bit of time for them," he added.

Old July 28, 2010, 01:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

+1 to Murali on Bedi. enuff said.
Old July 28, 2010, 01:35 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
"I may not agree with Murali's action or may have called all Murali wickets as run-outs, but I have highest respect for him as a human being, a kindhearted man."
Bishan Bedi, the former India spinner and a long-time critic of Murali's action, can't find any fault in the man himself
This is what Bedi said about Murali after he retired.
Old July 28, 2010, 02:57 PM
Cricket Legend

said much worse before. his TV comments and body language while talking about Murali was downright rude.
Old July 28, 2010, 03:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Wish Murali bashed Mandira Bedi like this.
Old July 29, 2010, 01:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Well said Murali
Old July 29, 2010, 05:19 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

This Bedi has some real mental problem. He seriously lacks manner. He thinks himself as a genius but the truth is, he always makes himself look like a fool ! I had no respect for him in the past, not even now !
Old July 29, 2010, 07:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
This is what Bedi said about Murali after he retired.
I thought Murali in person was much better than the player.
Old July 29, 2010, 08:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

By any chance, is Bishan Singh Bedi related to Mandira Bedi?
They both talk rubbish.
Old July 29, 2010, 10:54 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Whether anyone likes it or not, cricket does need controversial talking heads, and while I disagree with Bedi, I like his courage for saying what he believes in. Same with Boycott.
Old July 29, 2010, 11:32 AM
Cricket Legend

asddsa, it is plain jealousy. beaner bhai, difference is boycott talks only from cricketing point of view and thus makes sense 90% of the time, bedi talks from petty biases.
Old July 29, 2010, 12:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

I know. But, cricket does need colorful characters, even foolish ones. As long as he has a voice, he should be able to say whatever he wants, even though it might not make any sense. I don't agree with him, but like his guts regardless !
Old July 29, 2010, 01:13 PM
Cricket Legend

ok ! you mean he is the GW bush of cricket ?
Old July 29, 2010, 10:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
I know. But, cricket does need colorful characters, even foolish ones. As long as he has a voice, he should be able to say whatever he wants, even though it might not make any sense. I don't agree with him, but like his guts regardless !

French writer Moliere, once said, "I assure you that a learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant fool” ! Now you decide, will ya call him "brave" or "fool" !
Old July 30, 2010, 03:04 AM
Cricket Savant

I like the fact how he tries to cover it up by saying how murali is a great human being and all after scoffing at him. Sthu dude, you are not fooling anyone. The man retired ffs, give him some respect instead of being a flat-earther. Guys like him, Prasad, got some serious attitude problem with big brother attitude. No offense Neel da and respect to you for staying unbiased.

And lol @ habib...

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old July 30, 2010, 08:44 AM
Cricket Legend

which prasad, venky ? did he say something like this ?
Old December 15, 2010, 04:39 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Murali didn’t take 800 wickets’

Quote:
Former India captain Bishan Singh Bedi, who never misses an opportunity to take a dig at Muttiah Muralitharan and Harbhajan Singh, has once again lashed out at the two premier off-spinners.
‘I called him (Murali) a javelin thrower. I can call him a shot-putter. People say that he has got 800 wickets. I would rather say that it’s 800 run-outs!’ said a sarcastic Bedi on Tuesday during a panel discussion at the RSD Summit on World Cricket, organised in the memory of late Raj Singh Dungarpur.
‘On one hand you have Shane Warne who is a magician and then you have Muralitharan on the other hand. It’s total shambles. And Harbhajan Singh is no different,’ Bedi was scathing in his criticism.
But when former UCBSA supremo Ali Bacher said that he didn’t find Murali to be a chucker, Bedi found a supporter in former Australian captain and legendary coach Bob Simpson.
‘You can’t bowl a doosra if you don’t straighten your arms and that’s chucking,’ both Bedi and Simpson said in unison.
Asked about how they got clarified by International Cricket Council, Bedi was curt, ‘When they are taken in the laboratory, you find them within the permissible limit but not during the matches. It’s all useless to say about 18 degrees. Their arms bend at 35 to 40 degrees.’
However another former captain Kapil Dev begged to differ on the chucking issue. ‘I don’t blame Murali for this problem. The problem is with the authorities who allow people to do wrong things.’
Another issue that came up for discussion was match-fixing and spot-fixing.
Nawab Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi said, ‘It’s time we have a much more pro-active, eloquent and constructive BCCI for the benefit of the game.
‘I have spoken to a lot of senior police officials and they say that laws of gambling in this country are very vague. There are lot of central cabinet ministers in BCCI and also the leader of opposition. They should press hard for more stringent laws as 80 per cent of the viewership is in the sub-continent.’
‘The ICC is the voice of cricket but BCCI is the invoice,’ Pataudi said during his closing lecture on Raj Singh Dungarpur.
Kapil was in fact more concerned about the youngsters getting obscene amount of money playing in IPL.
‘There is no harm in players getting money but, if you give a youngster million dollars, it’s very difficult to manage that amount of money,’ Kapil said.
From newagebd