facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: Do you agree with my views?
Yes 3 75.00%
No 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 12, 2007, 04:16 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default ড. ইউনুস এর কাছে চিঠি

Dear Dr. Yunus,

All words have already been used to congratulate you for the huge honor you have brought to Bangladesh and to praise you for efforts in trying to create a clean fair political party, I offer you the same congratulations and praise. I am not going to stress on those and get right to my point.

For a while I have been thinking about the fundamental problems of Bangladesh and I have identified a few fundamental problems, fixation of which will automatically lead to healthier socio-economic and political environment. Today I am describing an issue for which the time is right and it is more convenient to implement now rather than later.

Identity Problem:

Unlike any other developed country, even our neighbors, Bangladeshi's do not have any trustworthy identity verification system. While lots of debate are going on about voter ID card, National ID card, I am afraid all of these will go to vain unless a full proof system is installed. If you think of it, among all documents, getting a passport involves the highest level of authentication in Bangladesh. Yet it is very easy for one to have several passports. So what benefit will traditional Voter or National ID card bring?

Proposed Solution: The only way to solve this problem is to integrate Biometric data, such as fingerprint, palm print, voice print, retina scan etc. into the ID card. Out of these, fingerprint is the least expensive and should be used as the default choice and should be made available in every ID Collection Booth. However, for people with amputation, burn etc. who cannot give fingerprint, other modes should also be made available in selected booths. Needless to say, the proposed ID card using this method is National ID card which can be used for Voter ID too.

Benefits:
1. Full proof method and almost no risk of manipulation. 2. Trend of Lowering age etc. social crimes will reduce as only one Basic record will be kept per person for his entire life. Lowering age would result in certain disadvantages in marriage, property ownership, contracts, voting, driving license etc. therefore tendency of lowering age will reduce.
3. The same database can be used to identify criminals and a separate database linked to the central one can be used for crime record keeping. With biometric records, crime scene investigation will also become more effective.
4. Businesses will flourish as implementation of Credit card systems, giving loans etc. will become very easy and risk factor will come down a lot.
5. Governments revenue collection will increase and peoples tax evasion can be eliminated as this ID will be tagged to a person's TIN, Bank Accounts, Property deeds etc.

Problem:
1. Implementation of National ID with biometric data will be costlier than regular voter ID card project.
2. Implementation of this project will require slightly more time than regular voter ID card Project.

Solution to problems:
1. Despite being more costly in the short run, this all-in-one ID card project will be much less costly than the regular cost of making / updating voter ID cards every 5 years or so. Combined with the other benefits it offers, the extra cost involved is insignificant.
2. Donor countries and agencies will be more inclined into funding this project as it will result in more transparency in every sector of the country.
3. Business houses, Banks etc can be motivated to provide fund for this project. After all, they will reap huge benefit of this system and it will also be used for credit rating etc. purposes.
4. The required time to implement this project can be reduced to tolerable limit by efficient planning, procurement and execution, something that lacks in our Government activities. My guesstimate would be around 6 to 12 months from getting fund to completion of the project.

The above proposition is just a sketch of what can be done. However, such a movement cannot be successful unless it is promoted from a strong platform. Sir, you have that platform and if you agree with my views or would like further clarifications, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

--
Zakir Chowdhury

Last edited by zakirc; February 12, 2007 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: Formatting got spoiled :S

Old February 12, 2007, 12:47 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

1. Unless one can put in place effective checks and balances this proposal would be heavily abused by the banks, donors. The data one would collect would be highly personal and sensitive data. Everyone in the business industry would try to get hold of it. Data security is my #1 concern.

2. Another concern is would the program that would add, maintain data be internet based? That is the fastest way to get to the rural areas (wireless) and have data communication.

3. Highly trained people must be involved to collect data. Otherwise, it would be garbage in, garbage out. May be the Army can assist in this regard.

4. Planning something this big will take a minimum of 12 months. Let alone the building the infra structure and then implementation and maintanance.
Old February 12, 2007, 01:21 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I dont understand what "voter identity system" has anything to do with Dr. Yunus? I unerstand DR. Yunus asked our opinion on how to form a political party and how it should work.

This letter should be addressed to Dr Fakruddin instead.
Old February 12, 2007, 01:39 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
1. Unless one can put in place effective checks and balances this proposal would be heavily abused by the banks, donors. The data one would collect would be highly personal and sensitive data. Everyone in the business industry would try to get hold of it. Data security is my #1 concern.

2. Another concern is would the program that would add, maintain data be internet based? That is the fastest way to get to the rural areas (wireless) and have data communication.

3. Highly trained people must be involved to collect data. Otherwise, it would be garbage in, garbage out. May be the Army can assist in this regard.

4. Planning something this big will take a minimum of 12 months. Let alone the building the infra structure and then implementation and maintanance.
Thanks for your valuable inputs. While all the data will be entered into one database, who can access which part should be well defined. Creating problems rules for data access with ample hardware-based firewall and encryption should solve most problems, however, is you talk about top notch hackers, well, everyone is vulnerable to them.

Regarding internet based app. I considered that as an option but then decided against it due to security concerns. This can be done in 2 different ways. One would be creating a nationwide WAN utilizing GPRS capabilities of cellphone operators and the other would be to have a server with each data collection team and data from all the servers will be integrated into one master server (Probably a super computer). Any redundant / confusing entries will be marked for further investigation.

Along with the Army, I was thinking of utilizing senior students from BUET, Shahjalal Uni. etc. top universities as well as our already trained IT manpower (BASIS & BCC can help in this regard). Training of these people can run parallel to the procurement process which should be the lengthiest (3-6 months at least). You can get the data collection modules and database designed pretty quickly because despite the fact that it will deal with millions of records, the actual database structure does not need to be too complex (At least initially).

Fortunately our EC and "Buero of Statistics" already have systems implemented for consensus type data collection. So I don't think planning will take that much time. My guess for planning would be 30-60 days, provided we can involve the right people for the job. This time will be required for the technical planning, software design etc.

According to my guesstimate, the time line should be as follows:

Planning - 45-60 Days
Software Procurement - 75-90 Days
Hardware procurement - 90 - 120 days (Parallel to software procurement)
Training - 60-90 Days (Parallel to the above)
Data Collection - 30 - 45 Days (Depending on volume of hardware purchase)
Data Integration, sorting, verification etc - 30 - 45 Days
Printing of ID card & Distribution - 45-60 Days (Depending on volume of hardware purchase)

Total Time: 60 + 120 + 45 + 45 + 60 = 330 Days Max
45 + 90 + 30 + 30 + 45 = 250 Days Min
Old February 12, 2007, 01:42 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood
I dont understand what "voter identity system" has anything to do with Dr. Yunus? I unerstand DR. Yunus asked our opinion on how to form a political party and how it should work.

This letter should be addressed to Dr Fakruddin instead.
my last para

"The above proposition is just a sketch of what can be done. However, such a movement cannot be successful unless it is promoted from a strong platform. Sir, you have that platform and if you agree with my views or would like further clarifications, please feel free to contact me."

Do you know Fakhruddin Sir's e-mail address? I would definitely love to forward a copy to him.
Old February 12, 2007, 02:21 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I think the idea of posting a open letter on a popular forum is, you dont need to know his address, someone may see it and bring it to his or the decision makers attention.

It has happened few times in BC now.
Old February 12, 2007, 03:13 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood
I think the idea of posting a open letter on a popular forum is, you dont need to know his address, someone may see it and bring it to his or the decision makers attention.

It has happened few times in BC now.
Thanks, thats one of the reason I posted here, I want to draw the attention of policymakers to this burning issue.

Also inputs from other users can help shape this thing plus identify any potential weaknesses.
Old February 12, 2007, 03:18 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakirc
Thanks for your valuable inputs. While all the data will be entered into one database, who can access which part should be well defined. Creating problems rules for data access with ample hardware-based firewall and encryption should solve most problems, however, is you talk about top notch hackers, well, everyone is vulnerable to them.
Think of these things: A database of 150 million people. To cover 150 mill there should be minimum of 10,000 data collection teams. With how many hits per second to updates, additions or deletions? May be there can be upload mechanism at the end of the day or something instead of realtime update when the data is getting gathered. Before the election time one can create standalone machines/laptops at the poll areas to verify real identity (info of people with that location or site).

I think any permanent structure can't be guarded 24/7. heck the small light post covers in the main streets in Dhaka gets stolen. The Telephone cable line gets stolen. We have to be realistic and know there are forces that would not want this type of improvement in BD.

Quote:
Regarding internet based app. I considered that as an option but then decided against it due to security concerns. This can be done in 2 different ways. One would be creating a nationwide WAN utilizing GPRS capabilities of cellphone operators and the other would be to have a server with each data collection team and data from all the servers will be integrated into one master server (Probably a super computer). Any redundant / confusing entries will be marked for further investigation.
This is a massive project itself to have a WAN which can handle the traffic and maintain a database. I have no idea what the infra structure is there in the first place which can handle data transfers of finger prints, retina scan etc.

Quote:
Along with the Army, I was thinking of utilizing senior students from BUET, Shahjalal Uni. etc. top universities as well as our already trained IT manpower (BASIS & BCC can help in this regard). Training of these people can run parallel to the procurement process which should be the lengthiest (3-6 months at least). You can get the data collection modules and database designed pretty quickly because despite the fact that it will deal with millions of records, the actual database structure does not need to be too complex (At least initially).
One must have a software in place first before we can have trainers and trainees. Do you have any software in mind or it would a writter by our local programmers? In that case the software must be compatible with the existing hardware. Are you planning to convert exiting data or start from scratch?
Quote:
Fortunately our EC and "Buero of Statistics" already have systems implemented for consensus type data collection. So I don't think planning will take that much time. My guess for planning would be 30-60 days, provided we can involve the right people for the job. This time will be required for the technical planning, software design etc.

According to my guesstimate, the time line should be as follows:

Planning - 45-60 Days
Software Procurement - 75-90 Days
Hardware procurement - 90 - 120 days (Parallel to software procurement)
Training - 60-90 Days (Parallel to the above)
Data Collection - 30 - 45 Days (Depending on volume of hardware purchase)
Data Integration, sorting, verification etc - 30 - 45 Days
Printing of ID card & Distribution - 45-60 Days (Depending on volume of hardware purchase)

Total Time: 60 + 120 + 45 + 45 + 60 = 330 Days Max
45 + 90 + 30 + 30 + 45 = 250 Days Min
This is a massive project with lots of players involved. Each and every division or stakeholders must be identified, co-ordinated and communicated thoroughly. That is the planning stage. 60 days planning phase is not an enough for this kind of massive project. Just to test/survey and feedback what will work, it may take 60 days. better to spend more time here than facing issues in implementing stage.

And printing 50 Million cards with fingerprint and photo in 60 days would not be feasible for even a Multinational company.

Some of the parts of the project must be outsourced if one has to make this project successful and in time.

No doubt, we must have something like this to move forward. Any govt. coming into power should address this issue.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; February 12, 2007 at 03:25 PM..
Old February 12, 2007, 03:39 PM
Cricket Savant

This project is not like making a bridge or an hospital etc.

Project at this scale has never been done before where one can get some benchmark data. We have to patient and this will not be perfect 100%. but this will be a start.

Issues that would be most important and the decision makers would want is

1. How much this will cost?
2. Where are we getting the fund?
3. What resources are out there?
4. What are the pros and cons?
5. How soon this can be implemented once it is approved?
6. What are the backup plans?
7. How much additional funds would the project need for the backup plans?
8. Where is the detailed time/project layout?

There are thousand more questions but those are major ones that the decision-makers like CEO, Board of Directors (Most likely the Pri Minister) would ask.
Old February 12, 2007, 04:16 PM
Cricket Legend

An open letter to Dr. Yunus was sent by Taj Hashmi too. I found his letter to be very thoughtful too. Please read his letter here

http://www.priyoaustralia.com/writer...pen_letter.htm
Old February 12, 2007, 04:55 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
This project is not like making a bridge or an hospital etc.

Project at this scale has never been done before where one can get some benchmark data. We have to patient and this will not be perfect 100%. but this will be a start.

Issues that would be most important and the decision makers would want is

1. How much this will cost?
2. Where are we getting the fund?
3. What resources are out there?
4. What are the pros and cons?
5. How soon this can be implemented once it is approved?
6. What are the backup plans?
7. How much additional funds would the project need for the backup plans?
8. Where is the detailed time/project layout?

There are thousand more questions but those are major ones that the decision-makers like CEO, Board of Directors (Most likely the Pri Minister) would ask.

This is exactly what I hoped for when posting the message in this forum.

1. I have no idea about the cost as this will require detailed budgeting that can only be done after a policy approval of the project.

2. I gave indication of possible sources of fund in my mail.

3. I already addressed the issue of (Human) resources in my letter. Apart from that, we now have a pretty strong GSM coverage as well as fiber optic connection between major cities.

4. I wrote a few pros and cons ... can you add more?

5. I believe this project can be completed in 250 - 330 days .. lets say max 1 year. It will actually depend on how plan on implementation. Targeting a very complex system in the beginning will definitely kill this project. But if we can start with a simple, basic solution just to store required information along with any one form of Biometric data, and then once the Election is over proceed to fulfillment of other objectives, I think my time line can be met.

6. There will be hard copies of all collected data. These can be utilized in case there is any problem.

7. Additional fund for the backup plan shall not be significant (percentage wise) as the most costly part ,i.e. data collection will be done.

8. Please see answer 1.

Please bear in mind that a project for VOTER / National ID card is already under consideration. My proposition is to make it a National ID card and to include one Biometric field.

If you consider my proposition as a standalone one, it will sound impossible to achieve within my suggested time line. But given the fact that a lot of the work has already been done and many systems are already in place, the additional work should
not take that long.
Remember, I want this to happen now only so that we can avoid duplicate cost later. Success of this project alone can and will take Bangladesh a long way.
Old February 12, 2007, 05:19 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrounder
An open letter to Dr. Yunus was sent by Taj Hashmi too. I found his letter to be very thoughtful too. Please read his letter here

http://www.priyoaustralia.com/writer...pen_letter.htm
Bash koto prokar o kiki hotey parey one can understand by reading this article.