facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 9, 2007, 12:48 AM
Cricket Legend

For all the CG's fight against corruption the voip case is just a case of govt's corrutption. They are getting their pants on fire just because they arent being paid hefty fees by callers in BD. The alternative is that companies get licenses via a high fee to let people call for cheap with their loved ones.

At the end of the day the high call charges or the license fees will go to the pockets of our dear government.....

Old February 9, 2007, 07:39 AM
Cricket Legend

VOIP is illegal. It is a grey area of telecom act and policy. I know because my doctoral research is on telecom in Bangladesh. Those who claim that they legal business actually have contract with BTTB who itself run an illegal VOIP operation. The ISD call made from Bangladesh using 012 instead of conventional 00 use VOIP technology.
For the last 2 and half years BTRC* could not decide how to legalize it because of continious infighting of the operators. The major obstacle is BTTB.
It is not BTTB's job to identify the illegal operators, it is BTRC's job. BTTB now just took the chance of the emergency suppressing others. Why RAB is not catching the big shots of BTTB for operating VOIP? The only victims are small scale operators and we the customer. I used to call Bangladesh paying 0.01 eurocents to any land and mobile phone and call quality was good; call connection instant and drop out rate is negliible. Now the same company charging me 0.03 eurocents per minute. quality is dropped and rarely I finish a call. When contacted them they told me that they have to change their operator in Bangladesh as their previous operator could not provide the service. The new operator charging them more so they have to increase the price and they could not find any alternative now. You can identify who is this new opertor now.
*BTRC stand for Bangladesh Telecom Regulatory Commission
Old February 9, 2007, 07:44 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
VOIP is illegal. It is a grey area of telecom act and policy. I know because my doctoral research is on telecom in Bangladesh. Those who claim that they legal business actually have contract with BTTB who itself run an illegal VOIP operation. The ISD call made from Bangladesh using 012 instead of conventional 00 use VOIP technology.
For the last 2 and half years BTRC* could not decide how to legalize it because of continious infighting of the operators. The major obstacle is BTTB.
It is not BTTB's job to identify the illegal operators, it is BTRC's job. BTTB now just took the chance of the emergency suppressing others. Why RAB is not catching the big shots of BTTB for operating VOIP? The only victims are small scale operators and we the customer. I used to call Bangladesh paying 0.01 eurocents to any land and mobile phone and call quality was good; call connection instant and drop out rate is negliible. Now the same company charging me 0.03 eurocents per minute. quality is dropped and rarely I finish a call. When contacted them they told me that they have to change their operator in Bangladesh as their previous operator could not provide the service. The new operator charging them more so they have to increase the price and they could not find any alternative now. You can identify who is this new opertor now.
*BTRC stand for Bangladesh Telecom Regulatory Commission
I don't get it! You mean VOIP is illegal or is it illegal only in BD?

Old February 9, 2007, 08:58 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

VOIP is legal in USA, I'm sure about that. As far as I knew, VOIP was illegal in Bangladesh completely. Members here convinced me otherwise. Finally, thebest is making sense with my knowledge.
Old February 9, 2007, 09:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Bhai VOIP is legal is bangladesh provided you have the license to operate such businesses. The telecom ministry hands out these licenses. There are several firms in bangladesh who had taken VOIP licenses at the fag end of the BNP regime. I know this personally. Keno je manush uradhura news choray god knows.
Old February 9, 2007, 09:05 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
Bhai VOIP is legal is bangladesh provided you have the license to operate such businesses. The telecom ministry hands out these licenses. There are several firms in bangladesh who had taken VOIP licenses at the fag end of the BNP regime. I know this personally. Keno je manush uradhura news choray god knows.
Agreed. Amio setai jani.

Old February 9, 2007, 10:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
VOIP is not legal in Bangladesh. Under Telecom act 2001 only BTRC is allowded to provide license to telecom firms to operate any business. If the telecom ministry hands out these license that is also illegal though i am not aware of such practice by telecom ministry. Can you provide any source
Old February 9, 2007, 10:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
VOIP is not legal in Bangladesh. Under Telecom act 2001 only BTRC is allowded to provide license to telecom firms to operate any business. If the telecom ministry hands out these license that is also illegal though i am not aware of such practice by telecom ministry. Can you provide any source

Unfortunately there is no source as such but this is something I know of personally which I feel is more credible than any source for me. I know of a person who has obtained a VOIP license but I am not at liberty to disclose names due to personal reasons. Also a BTTB director approached someone I know (again cannot disclose identity) with a proposal for a call centre for outsourcing jobs. Call centre's use VOIP to run. The director of BTTB would not put such a proposal if it was not legally possible. Moreover there were some firms who went to court with this issue and tried to stop VOIP licensing for God knows what reason but recently the HIgh court dismissed their case I think. This news can be found in the DS.
Old February 9, 2007, 11:18 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
After the High Court clearance yesterday. Telecom Ministry/BTRC can give VOIP licence but the problem they are not keen to issue. Although It is now legal.

Source
Old February 9, 2007, 11:28 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Spintel: don't go through.
AccessAsia: Couldn't get a line after trying say one hour last night.
Diamond: Sucked as well. Then tried mobile phone and asked them to call me back. Grrr!!!

it will take 3 months+ to get the VOIP back on-line. NTV reports.
Old February 9, 2007, 12:41 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

I talked using AA this morning got the line one try to banani but had try couple time to get to Jhigatola..
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old February 9, 2007, 09:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Unfortunately there is no source as such but this is something I know of personally which I feel is more credible than any source for me. I know of a person who has obtained a VOIP license but I am not at liberty to disclose names due to personal reasons. Also a BTTB director approached someone I know (again cannot disclose identity) with a proposal for a call centre for outsourcing jobs. Call centre's use VOIP to run. The director of BTTB would not put such a proposal if it was not legally possible. Moreover there were some firms who went to court with this issue and tried to stop VOIP licensing for God knows what reason but recently the HIgh court dismissed their case I think. This news can be found in the DS.
Telecom Act provide sole right for issuing license to telecom operator to BTRC. Any permission by BTTB and ministry is illegal. Anyway, I mentioned in my earlier post that BTTB also running illegal operation.