facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 30, 2004, 11:47 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default Caption Title

"You rock man, give me a hug, Rafique. Congratulation to your big ton"

Who comes up with the caption titles? If nothing else please make sure at least the grammer is correct. Change the "Congratulation to your big ton" to "Congratulations on your big ton".
Old May 30, 2004, 11:57 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

just a question, if u don't mind. what does "caption title" means?

caption: the description of a picture below it.
title: the heading of an article.

i think caption title does not make any sense.
Old May 30, 2004, 12:21 PM
Retired BC Admin

Thank you very much guys. I do maintain and manufacture those captions. Usually I don't pay much attention to grammar (well I'm really poor at it however do not wish to go back to the school to make improvements :P) as it doesn't have to be a complete sentence. Besides, we have limitations on the total number of chatacters that can be used. Thanks again.
Old May 30, 2004, 12:41 PM
First Class Cricketer

Well AgentSmith, I googled "caption title" and got many hits. Believe it or not, the use of "caption tile" is common, even though at times it might be redundant. And on my post it was redundant. Thank you for pointing that out.

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by Ockey]
Old May 30, 2004, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally posted by Ockey
Well AgentSmith, I googled "caption title" and got many hits. Believe it or not, the use of "caption tile" is common, even though at times it might be redundant. And on my post it was redundant. Thank you for pointing that out.

and where'd u get the word "grammer" from? i thought it was "grammar"
Old May 30, 2004, 03:28 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default Suggestion

AsifTheManRahman,

The word "grammer" doesn't come from the anywhere. It is an obvious spelling error. It is nice to see members like yourself and AgentSmith carefully and meticulously pointing out spelling errors and redundancies in other member's posts. I commend you both for your efforts. I am sure all Banglacricket members can benefit from your hard work as it will give then a chance to improve their written English, which so crucial in making online posts in today's world.

However, I would like to make a suggestion if I may. In addition to pointing out spelling/grammatical errors and redundancies in members' posts, if you could also do the same for articles that are contributed by members and captions on the homepage, I, along with other members, would be eternally indebted to you.

Thank you again and keep up the good work!

Old May 30, 2004, 03:50 PM
Retired BC Admin

Let me sneak in with a small note before I urge you all to end this discussion.

We all make mistakes. Some are willing to take the responsibility while others are not that kind. On top of this, most mistakes do look annoying. So what to do? I think it is wise to ponit out any mistake privately rather than public comments. That helps everybody's ego to remain unhurt. Then again there are people who doesn't like to deprive themselves of the instant gratification of catching others off guard. So it comes down to individual choices and practices in the end. And it shows!

Finally, I don't know about what shows of you guys, but it clearly points to my poor English knowledge, but I'm not ashamed of admitting it.
Old May 30, 2004, 04:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Chinaman, don't worry about the english. How is your Cantonese and Mandarin?
Old May 30, 2004, 04:08 PM
Administrator

as good as my swahili
Old May 30, 2004, 04:21 PM
First Class Cricketer

chinaman,

The reason I asked "Who comes up with the caption titles?" is because 1) I thought the caption was terrible 2) members should be able to send U2U messages to correct grammatical and spelling errors on captions on the homepage as well as to make suggestions on the wording.

I have been member of this forum ever since it was part of teststatus.com and have seen to grow over the years. I am not sure if I have contributed to that growth but I would like to think I have some right, as any other member would in this forum, to make comments. I feel we owe it to the team and the fans to make the site look as professional as we can. My intensions were not to embarrass or humiliate the person who wrote the caption, which is why I can't quite figure out the reactions by AgentSmith and AsifTheManRahman, who apparently had nothing to do with the caption
Old May 30, 2004, 04:22 PM
Retired BC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq
Chinaman, don't worry about the english. How is your Cantonese and Mandarin?
Baapre baap, kee kotin bhashai kotha bolen, kichchu bujina. Banglai bolen bhai, banglai bolen.
Old May 30, 2004, 04:33 PM
Retired BC Admin

Dear Ockey

I'm cool. Don't worry about me. I'm really open, and I mean it, to all suggestions, corrections and comments. Without your comments it is hard to run everything smoothly. Please feel absolutely free to express your views. I really appreciate it. Thank you.
Old May 31, 2004, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally posted by Ockey
AsifTheManRahman,

The word "grammer" doesn't come from the anywhere. It is an obvious spelling error. It is nice to see members like yourself and AgentSmith carefully and meticulously pointing out spelling errors and redundancies in other member's posts. I commend you both for your efforts. I am sure all Banglacricket members can benefit from your hard work as it will give then a chance to improve their written English, which so crucial in making online posts in today's world.

However, I would like to make a suggestion if I may. In addition to pointing out spelling/grammatical errors and redundancies in members' posts, if you could also do the same for articles that are contributed by members and captions on the homepage, I, along with other members, would be eternally indebted to you.

Thank you again and keep up the good work!

ok mate u got me there...now that's gonna be a tough one...i might as well have to pull an all nighter for that one...