facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 24, 2005, 02:21 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Lord\'s a new landmark for Bangladesh

by Martin Gough
BBC Sport at Lord's

South Africa's Makhaya Ntini cried when he took a five-wicket haul against England and got his name on the honours board in the Lord's pavilion.

New Zealand batsman Mark Richardson felt that scoring a century at the home of cricket was such a career highlight he retired shortly afterwards, all his goals achieved.

If I play in this match it will be the best cricket moment of my life
Enamul Haque

Even for the most gnarled Test veteran it can be overwhelming, so imagine how the Bangladesh players feel as they prepare to play at Lord's for the first time.

Wicket-keeper Khaled Mashud played in his country's first ever Test almost five years ago, but readily acknowledges this is a landmark.

"This is our first match here but in future Bangladesh will play more here so we are making history," he says.

More wide-eyed is Enamul Haque, even though the left-arm spinner has already played his part in history.

Listed officially as a 18-year-old, he claimed figures of 6-45 to complete Bangladesh's maiden Test victory, at home to lowly Zimbabwe in January.

But he says: "If I play in this match it will be the best cricket moment of my life.

"It is cricket's Mecca."

Bangladesh have toured England for one-day series before but have never played a Test here or appeared at Lord's in any form of the game.

A date to emerge from the famous Long Room, to applause from the august members of MCC, means they have officially arrived as a Test nation.

The Tigers still lack the success to prove it. From 36 Test matches, 31 have resulted in defeat, 20 by an innings.

And even without the daunting statistic that no previous Test nation has won its first ever Test here, they knew they were unlikely to come away successful.

However, those who dismiss this side as the weakest ever to play a Test on English soil neglect to take note of their recent history.

Since Dav Whatmore took over as coach, they have impressed on tour in Australia, and almost forced a victory in Pakistan, who just scraped a single-wicket win.

Whatmore has tried to instil an ethic of not worrying about the enormity of the situation, the reputation of the opposition or the glamour of the location.

Their eyes are set firmly on a step-by-step improvement. The score line is far less important than successful individual performances.

Enamul clearly gained confidence from his performance against Zimbabwe but has been working hard to adapt to the damp and cold in England - anathema to a spinner.
Code:
 FIRST TESTS AT LORD'S
Australia 1884 Lost by an inns & five runs
South Africa 1907 Match drawn
West Indies 1928 Lost by an inns & 58 runs
New Zealand 1931 Match drawn
India 1932 Lost by inns & 158 runs
Pakistan 1954 Match drawn
Sri Lanka 1984 Match drawn
Zimbabwe 2000 Lost by an inns & 209 runs
He made the most of the tour match against Sussex to prise information out of Pakistani Mushtaq Ahmed on how to adapt.

"He said lots of things about these conditions and has really helped me," says Enamul.

"I feel a little bit scared about the conditions but I hope I'll do better.

"I saw the last Ashes series [on TV] and Shane Warne can turn the ball here. After three or four days it will be turning."

Former captain Mashud looks to the strides made on those previous tours as inspiration here, and a method to confound the critics.

Bangladesh players take in the surroundings at Lord's

"Everybody [in Australia] was saying we would be out in two days, saying lots of things, but we played some good cricket in Australia and then in Pakistan," he says.

"This is a good opportunity for us to play a big side. If you play big sides it's easy to play any other side."

And if you impress at Lord's you will make a mark that all of world cricket will notice.

-BBC

Edited on, May 24, 2005, 7:24 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.

Old May 24, 2005, 02:27 PM
Chief Moderator

Default Lord\'s practice photos

Bangladesh's 16-year-old batsman Mushfiqur Rahim may play in the first Test after scoring a century against Northants

-BBC

Edited on, May 24, 2005, 7:28 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.
Reason: source
Old May 24, 2005, 02:27 PM
Chief Moderator

Bangladesh batsman Shahriar Nafees Ahmed trains in front of a huge picture of England's Marcus Trescothick
-BBC
Old May 24, 2005, 08:43 PM
ODI Cricketer

Old May 24, 2005, 10:44 PM
BC Editorial Team

>> India 1932 Lost by inns & 158 runs

Major exaggeration. Just 158 runs - not innings and 158.
Old May 24, 2005, 10:50 PM
ODI Cricketer

the pic of Rahim... its awesome.. looks like he is a ball boy.. but its going to be his first test i guess.. and lords is the perfact place for the start

Edited on, May 25, 2005, 3:52 AM GMT, by Alomelo.