facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old September 19, 2014, 10:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.
Default NHL 2014-2015 Season Thread.

A brand new year is upon us. Training camp starts today all across the league. Welcome you all NHL fans here. Please share your comments and posts related to NHL and your team here.

Thanks..

Old September 19, 2014, 10:36 AM
Cricket Guru

As a Pens fan, I am really looking forward to this year. So many changes that were overdue. The room got stale and we desperately needed a new voice and new players. Gone are Shero/Disco. Gone are Orpik, Niskanen, Neal, Engelland, Jokinen, Vitale, Glass etc. New comers are Hornqvist, Spalling, Erhoff, Downie, Comeau, Carcillo etc. I anticipate the first few months to be full of ups and downs. New coach and new system always bring that to the table. We shall wait and see..
Old September 23, 2014, 03:45 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Not a bad effort against the Pens in our PS opener, despite the absence of a recently injured Anthony Mantha, our most exciting offensive prospect in a decade. I thought our defensive prospects looked good, especially Sproul and Marchenko. Backman and Ouellet also did OK. Hope they'll do in this season what our offensive prospects did during last season. The PP showed promise and both Howard and Mrazek made some good saves. I hope Datsyuk is OK after that Scuderi hit. Bennett, Sutter, and Hornqvist were impressive for the Pens.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old September 25, 2014, 10:24 AM
Cricket Guru

Did you see the game ? I missed it.

One huge difference for the Pens this year is the continued influx of European players, both on the roster and in the system. Shero avoided them for some odd reason. We now have on D- Erhoff, Maatta. Forwards- Malkin, Hornqvist, Goc. Goalie- Griess. Of course, no 1 pick was Kapannen.
Old September 28, 2014, 01:48 PM
Cricket Savant

^Guilty! For us, this is the most important preseason in recent memory. With our defensive prospects trying to break into the NHL, and Anthony Mantha, we're excited.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old October 8, 2014, 01:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Happy New ( Hockey ) Year !!
Old October 9, 2014, 07:30 AM
Cricket Savant

Season opener against the Bruins without Datsyuk. Not good. Poor Mantha didn't even have a chance to play any of the preseason games. Not good. Disagreement between Babcock and Kenny as to which one of our defensive prospects is NHL ready. Not good.
Old October 10, 2014, 03:48 AM
Cricket Savant

It's always great to win the season opener in such a dominant fashion against a contender like Boston. Rask, as always, kept his team in the game by making quite a few clutch saves. Howard also made a couple of great saves when it mattered the most, and our PK looked especially good. That said, Boston's only goal on their first shot was unacceptable. Ericsson's error followed by some pond hockey type defending led to a good Bergeron goal Howard should've had. He guessed short side and was caught totally off guard by the high glove, over the shoulder shot. He needed to be more square. It was painful watching Quincey and Kindl as usual. I wonder how long it'll be before Babcock has his way and we see Sproul and Ouellet. Anyway, good birthday present for our captain.
Old October 10, 2014, 04:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Will Follow the season (Will Attend a game, Highlights) but won't pay close attention until the final 1/3rd of the season, when teams start jockeying for Playoff Positioning.

Nice start for Nash, he's got alot to prove this season.
Old October 12, 2014, 02:07 AM
Cricket Savant

Man, it's infuriating when a non-call with seconds left determines the adverse outcome of a game you should've won! Then again, we shouldn't have put ourselves in a position to lose. George Malik sums things up well, as usual.

Quote:
The good: the Red Wings rallied from another 1-0 deficit, Jimmy Howard steadied himself after giving up a poor goal and the Red Wings were all of 24 seconds from taking the Ducks to overtime via out-shooting, out-hustling and out-working a mean, nasty Anaheim team.

The bad: with 27 seconds left in the game, Ryan Getzlaf very blatantly hooked/tripped Niklas Kronwall, skated toward the net, and as Jonthan Ericsson, who had a terrible game, stood and watched (and forced Howard to remain in his crease), Getzlaf roofed it.

No call. Ducks win 3-2, Babcock stands at the end of the bench after the game and the refs refuse to talk to him. Textbook hooking penalty yields a goal, negates a staggeringly good performance by Gustav Nyquist, Kyle Quincey of all people and what was at least a make-up-for-his-awful-stickhandling performance by Howard.

I don't know what to say here. I did quite a bit of swearing on Twitter that I don't regret, and I have absolutely no respect for that asshat baldy Getzlaf, Underwear Model Kesler or Corey "The Gimp" Perry, nor the chicken-**** game the Ducks play.

LINK
Old October 18, 2014, 05:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Good win 1 against the Center of the Hockey Universe. Not sure if we're that good or they're that pitiful. They usually are, but this team seems totally out of sync. Most AHL teams do the small things better than this bunch. Kadri went high sticking last night after being beaten by better players one-on-one. What an impetuous little ****! Good to see a dirty team turning a genuine prospect into a dirty player, again. Maybe he should go to Syria and fight for ISIL. I'm sure he's good enough to captain their hockey team. I'd like to see them crushed again tonight. Shouldn't be hard provided Franzen is OK. Nyquist remains the MAN, and Hank had a great night. Hit repeat at the Joe, please!

That said, Howard stole a point from Boston before this win. He's looking sharper than ever so far. Being pushed by Gustavsson and Mrazek will do that to you. Kenny's boy Andreij Nestrasil has failed to impress so far, and like his other boytoy Bekub Kindl, clearly doesn't belong at this level from the looks of it.

Last edited by Sohel; October 18, 2014 at 03:11 PM..
Old October 18, 2014, 07:35 AM
Cricket Guru

Come on Bro. Thats a bit too much. I know you dislike Toronto, but, don't you think its getting a bit of of hand ?
Old October 18, 2014, 03:13 PM
Cricket Savant

It is and I apologize. Kadri nearly blinded Franzen with a no-call high stick and then tried to do the same with Helm, and I just lost it, lol! These perennial losers do bring out the worst in me with their dirty play and bizarre arrogance. I'm beginning to hate Boston too but at least those guys can back it up.
Old October 18, 2014, 11:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Gustavsson got the shutout and I'm obviously glad that he did, but Bernier stopped better shots and kept Asgard in the game. Anyway, looking forward to the game Thursday. Hoping to get Datsyuk and Franzen back by then. Watching Weiss, Nestrasil, and Kindl have been painful. Sadly, Kindl will get more chances to turn the puck over.
Old October 19, 2014, 10:19 AM
Cricket Guru

I know you mean no harm.

It been a small sample size, but what a difference maker Hornqvist has been for us. I don't think we ever a had a player in last six years that brings the element that he brings consistently. He basically parks himself in front on the net and he shoots at every opportunity that he gets. Got nice hands too. 4 goals already and if he stays healthy along with 87 all year, he will get 30+ goals.

MAF still MAF. I don't think we can ever win another cup with him. Too frustrating. A great athlete capable of brilliant saves, but its the normal ones that he lets in all the time...
Old October 19, 2014, 10:24 AM
Cricket Savant

Hornqvist is Holmstrom 2.0. Plays hard and unrelenting.
Old October 21, 2014, 01:44 PM
Cricket Guru

Thats a lofty comparison, but the guy sure does reminds me of Holmstrom. I don't know what's up with the Pens schedule this year. Only four games so far while other teams have played 6-7 games already. Hate waiting five days between games. Flyers tomorrow. Bylsma always lost to them. Lets see if anything is different this time around. I have no clue whats going on with Oilers. All those first overall picks in a row and they cant win any games.
Old October 24, 2014, 01:35 AM
Cricket Savant

What a breathtaking rally to beat the Pens! Our strongest third period performance since 2009. I hope it changes things for a team with arguably the worst third period performances recorded over the past three years, especially with less than four minutes to go in the game.
Old October 29, 2014, 06:57 PM
Cricket Savant

Man, possibly the worst call ever! We just had a goal called back because Holtby just lost his edge and fell. Glendening was nowhere near him. So not only were we robbed a goal, but had to kill a penalty without one of our top PK guys. These refs should be punished.
Old October 29, 2014, 10:45 PM
Cricket Savant

Just look at this!

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/616920
Old October 30, 2014, 09:25 AM
Cricket Guru

That's comical. I was watching the NHL Network last night and they showed it. Refs challenge has to be incorporated like NFL. The other night, Pens were playing Devils. We were on a PP. Crosby jammed it in. Video replay showed puck crossing the line, but stuck underneath the skate of Schneider. On the same PP, Devils scored a short handed goal, and only then they reviewed the Crosby goal. Incredibly they said no goal ( even though the video frame by frame evidence was indisputable ) thanks to the geniuses in Toronto game room. I don't know why. Maybe, they didn't wanna take a goal away from the Devils. It didn't matter since we scored 7 unanswered. But, Crosby was denied of his hatrick, as he ended up with only two goals.
Old October 30, 2014, 04:32 PM
Cricket Savant

Yep, NFL-type challenge is a must.
Old October 31, 2014, 03:56 AM
Cricket Savant

Facing the Kings tonight to finish our best first month of the season since Lidstrom's retirement. Good sign for a team that tends to get stronger as the season progresses. Very happy with the overall speed and hustle of the team. Howard's being pushed by not one but two good goalies and as a consequence, is having his best start since his rookie season.

Defensively, Kronwall has been solid at both ends of the ice, and Ericsson has been an imposing presence in our own zone. DeKeyser and Smith have finally become quality NHL defemsemen, and Quincey has been good defensively. Sadly though, he has the most pathetic shot of any, and I mean ANY NHL defenseman in recent memory, and no matter how many he lets loose, those weak and inaccurate shots always end up comfortably handled whenever on goal. Pretty $hitty for what Kenny touted as an "offensive" defensemen. Kindl sucks and should be donated to say, the Maple Leafs for hidden talent their archaic philosophy simply doesn't allow them to recognize and patiently develop. There are real reasons behind their spectacular failures, but perennial losers are never willing to get past their arrogance, and rectify those issues. 1967 guys, 1967! Anyway, I hope Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko, or Backman replace Bekub Kindl sooner rather than later.

Offensively, Nestrasil's gotta go down to the AHL, and Tatar must get his timing right SOON. Sheahan and Jurco are creating decent chances with their feisty forechecking, and it's just a matter of time before more of their SOGs find the back of the net. No complaints about the current and the next captain. Both Zetterberg and Nyquist have been very good, and with Datsyuk getting healthy and getting his timing right, we're likely to have a formidable offense with at least 3 point-per-game two way forwards going into our 24th consecutive playoffs, InshAllah. Both Tatar and Abdel Kader may join them by the end of the season. Franzen will never have that breakout season but I'll be happy as long as he elevates his lazy game in clutch situations. Kenny will NEVER be forgiven for losing Hossa in order to keep him. Defensively solid Abdel Kader has also been good offensively. Simply love our checking line. Glendening, Andersson, and Miller are very tough to play against. Their combined speed, toughness, and fearless persistence will continue to disrupt the opposition for years to come. That said, it would be nice to have a look at Mantha after the all star break. I have no doubt that a healthy Mantha will tear-up the AHL and earn that look with the big boys.

Last edited by Sohel; October 31, 2014 at 09:44 AM..
Old November 1, 2014, 06:36 PM
Cricket Savant

Smile Red Wings 5 Kings 2

It was SO good watching my beloved Detroit Red Wings play Red Wings hockey again for the first time since June 6th, 2009 at the Joe. That was Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals against eventual champs Penguins.

The Detroit Red Wings jumped to a 4-0 lead after one with flawless tape-to-tape, puck possession hockey with strong checking in all three zones. Not bad against the current Cup holders, one of the two dynastic teams of our era since 2010.

So we became a little complacent in executing the way we did in the first, and BAYM, they come out flying with some serious Sutter-hockey, loosening those 50-50 pucks in their favor, winning penalties, and forcing the defense in front of of Howard collapse into chaos with suddenly decloaking shooting lanes. A sharper Howard could've made that highlight save, but NO goalie stays sharp like that after his team gives him a 4 goal cushion against Jonathan Quick and the usually error-free, superior defense of Champions in front of him.

So the momentum shifts right away when Martinez gets one back, making sure his whole team smells that freshly spilled blood. Character time for the Red Wings. But we have doctors like Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kronwall, Helm, AND Abdel Kader to turn that shift in momentum into a spank of pure inspiration and reawakening. 4-1 after two with an enthralling contest awaiting us in the third.

What a game for the ages, and this early in the season too! A rare disconnect between Howard and Zetterberg lead to a shorthanded, freakishly bad goal from an opportunistic Tyler Toffoli. 4-2 Detroit early in the third and the Kings are right back in it, smelling an epic comeback worthy of the blue collar stature of the game.

The overachieving talent of Tomas Tatar is having issues with making 50-50 plays because he's too damn skilled and smart for his own good. The boy thinks too many moves ahead before gaining firm control over the puck. So his growing pains lead to a Dustin Brown breakaway, and forces a takedown from his future Team USA teammate and local boy Danny DeKeyser, those two have been battling it out all night. Second string USA goalie Howard then denies Brown LA's third and possibly game changing goal from his penalty shot. Talk about a dramatic reversal of momentum in the unfolding drama.

Down but not out, the champions get even more physical. Bullies of the block sending a message. Helm gets boarded by Nolan, but before any of that nastiness could settle in, Ericsson decks him. Message received and quickly sent back like a debilitating virus. The Wings control the game from there with unrelenting speed and skill, creating chance after chance to get their fifth of the night.

But there is Jonathan Quick, the number one guy for Team USA, shows Howard who's still the boss with tough saves to keep his team in the game. Time elapses and utter pulls him in desperation. Seconds later, Datsyuk gets the ENG. Game, set, match Detroit. Another great chapter comes to an end. Hopefully, a chapter that we'll look back as the one that changed the novel for the better. A chapter we in the Red Wings Nation have been waiting for since game the end of Game 5 in the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals.

Thank you Los Angeles Kings for this hard fought battle. Truly worthy adversaries from a rink that Wayne Gretzky himself built in our Golden State. Who knows, we may meet in THE best of seven series in May or Early June next year.

Last edited by Sohel; November 1, 2014 at 07:44 PM..
Old November 2, 2014, 09:56 AM
Cricket Guru

I went to the Sabres -Pens game last night. I have seen a lot of bad teams, but Sabres are by far the worst team in a long long time that I have seen. Pens possibly played their worst game of the season and won 5-0. Sabres don't even get a shot on goal. They don't even try. They remind me of 2002-04 Pens teams. But, those Pens teams had more heart. Sabres have none. They don't hit, don't skate, don't come to defend any teammate. McDavid is going to be a Sabre. No question. I would be surprised if they get more than 50 pts for the season. Its hard to feel bad for a team that don't even try. That team is full of quitters. Sorry for the harsh words, but its the truth.