facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 20, 2007, 09:15 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
Also this is a lame attempt at humour.
So to the cartoonist and to the public.
I don't think it was an attempted joke. Rather, it was a satire, poking at mullahs. What the cartoon showing is, a mullah giving a child an advise that is not proper Islamic (like most of their advises). And what the outcome is for those made up fatwahs.

Basically, what the cartoon is saying is: if you listen to those illiterate mullahs (99% of Bangladeshi mullahs are illiterate), you are going to end up in trouble.

Old September 20, 2007, 09:33 PM
Club Cricketer

Fazal, since when Shibir and Jamat is a standard of what is right and wrong. Shibir publishing the same cartoon a decade ago does not take away anything from what it is. A tasteless joke. Not exactly the right place and time for this. Also it is sheer stupidity to call for actions against Shibir for a tasteless cartoon they published in 1998. Arent you 9 years too late.

Anyway, there is something really wrong with both Fundamentalists who thinks they are given the right to protect Prophets (PBUH) name by making a big fuss out of nothing. And there is something really wrong with secuars who thinks anything and everything goes. And always blame the Mullahs, Jamatis and Rajakars for everything.
Old September 20, 2007, 09:35 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i cannot read bangla...but nonetheless i have figured out the gist of the cartoon and i will say this:

there was no need for the cartoonist to be punished as (from my understanding) he did not insult the prophet, but rather a peculiar tradition of bangladesh (and i'm sure many other muslim countries).

at the same time, this article was at least moderately irresponsible, witty though it might have been. why so?

there was absolutely no reason for lamenting this "tradition." i can name 100 other flaws of the way islam is practiced that it is worth getting fired/jailed or even killed over. how about cartoons making fun of:

- the fact that muslim women usually aren't allowed to set foot inside the mosque
- the fact that islam is being used as cover to harass ahmadiyas
- the fact that islam is being used to fight illegitimate battles
- the fact that some muslims feel its their right to trample on the rights of others
- the fact that most muslims don't even have basic understanding of islam
- the fact that the words "muslim world" are the biggest oxymoron on earth
- the fact that many so called muslims oppose grameen banks aid to women

and the list goes on and on. when you have people speak its either wrong (danish cartoons terrorist spiel) or utterly pointless (prothom alo's 'why is your name mohammad?')

how utterly unsurprising?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 20, 2007, 09:36 PM
Club Cricketer

maybe its high time we call on all the razakar mullahs to publicly apologize for their anti-state role during 1971 or face eviction!
lets see where our alem olama khatibs stand on that demand!
Old September 20, 2007, 09:37 PM
Cricket Sage

btw, naming someone "muhammad" is not at all essential, as the prophet himself said that the best name for a muslim is "abdullah" (slave of allah)

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 20, 2007, 09:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream theater
Fazal, since when Shibir and Jamat is a standard of what is right and wrong. Shibir publishing the same cartoon a decade ago does not take away anything from what it is. A tasteless joke. Not exactly the right place and time for this. Also it is sheer stupidity to call for actions against Shibir for a tasteless cartoon they published in 1998. Arent you 9 years too late.
Dream theater its not me who thinks people should go to jail for tasteless joke. Nor did I mentioned anywhere that Shibir and Jamat is a standard of what is right and wrong. So you are asking to the wrong person.

Quote:
Also it is sheer stupidity to call for actions against Shibir for a tasteless cartoon they published in 1998. Arent you 9 years too late.
Ahhaa its stupidity to ask for action if its against Shibir published in 1998 and I guess its a matter of great intellectual superiority to send a cartoonist to jail for a tasteless joke... ok I got it... thanks but not thanks I would rather be a stupid than an intellectual then.

Quote:
Arent you 9 years too late
Now about is 9 years too late? Why is that? We can send Hasina and co. jail for crimes close to 9 years old, why not for this case? Why not the same people who sent the cartoonist to jail can do the same for the joke published in Shibir Magazine? As far as I know, there shouldn't be any legal barrier doing that. They should try their best. At least no body will be able to say there is a double standard there.

Last edited by Fazal; September 20, 2007 at 10:00 PM..
Old September 20, 2007, 09:48 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruTM
I have very limited time. But still i will have my 2 cents.

Religion can sometimes be regarded as soft targets for quick fun. What bothers me here is the cartoonist did this during the month of Ramadan. Is it mere coincedence or lack of respect towards the religion of the majority? I would get offended absolutely at anything i love, do, like to do, believe, like to believe, think, like to think, any rituals, any religions that i practise, like to practise no matter how stupid it is; if someone makes fun of it. The person who is making fun of what i love, do, like to do, believe, like to believe, think, like to think, any rituals, any religions that i practise, like to practise; is making fun of me, not the things i love, do, like to do, believe, like to believe, think, like to think, any rituals, any religions that i practise, like to practise.

Fun, most of the times; very closely related to disrespect.
also agree with this guru

such a cartoon, as benign as it is, insults all those people who have named their sons mohammad (my grandfather included). it includes ashraful's father. these people didnt deserve to be insulted. naming your child mohammad makes you no less illiterate than naming him stalin, george, OJ, kareem, paris, tony, or santino.

as such the cartoon was pointless to the max. he could have satirized, attacked, or brought to light the million and one other things wrong with muslims and the way islam is practiced and interpreted today. who can argue with this?

if naming your kid mohammad was the only thing wrong with muslims, we'd be in a very good position.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 20, 2007, 09:59 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul
The mollahs are bad people. They are bastard. They are idiot. They are non-sense. They are extremist. They are backdated. They are .................the list continues

But still they are good people than the so called intellectuals like Daud Haider, Ariful Rahman. Because despite all the criticisms from the intellectuals like Ahmed Sharif, Humayun Azad, it were the mullah's who said their Janaja prayer. The day I will die, it will be the mollahs who will say janaja for me. They will be the people who will at least recite Innahlillah or some other prayer,and put me in the grave according to Islamic manner. , Those intellectual, educated, progressive people will not. They will at best write a poem, or publish an essay, which will be of no use for me.
BD shardul bhai, i understand what you are saying, but this does not give the right to mullahs to do what they do.

i may be pious, i might pray, i might do dhikr...but this doesn't automatically give me license to sin and be half educated.

we need people who understand islam, implement it, and also embrace the modern aspects of life. modern as in going to school, women can drive, girls go to school. having enough female doctors so women don't have to to go to men doctors, having schools that teach math, science, english, computers, history, in addition to islamiyat and not in place of it.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 20, 2007, 10:00 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:

Anyway, there is something really wrong with both Fundamentalists who thinks they are given the right to protect Prophets (PBUH) name by making a big fuss out of nothing. And there is something really wrong with secuars who thinks anything and everything goes. And always blame the Mullahs, Jamatis and Rajakars for everything.
Nobody is calling for action! as u can well understand, those who want to point this out don;t see any need for action! fact is "WHERE WAS THE OUTRAGE THEN? WERE WE LESS MUSLIM THEM? " and shibir being the so called "dharok" "bahok" and "rokhkhakorta" of islam, HOW, tell me HOW could they even contemplate publishing in their own magazine something which is 'supposedly' so controversial! So controversial that an editor virtually has to go down on his knees and beg for forgiveness! So controversial the cartoonist is languishing in the jail for 2 days with no justice in sight whatsoever! the whole magazine is to be banned from publication! ALL THIS OVER A CARTOON which an islamic party magazine themselves dimmed fit to be published on their own magazine some years back! Do u see the massive discrepancy here?? the fact it was printed 9 years back is a non-issue, the fact is that they (meaning shibir) DIDNT see anything wrong with publishing the same cartoon!
something tells me that there is much more at play than this cartoon!
Old September 20, 2007, 10:29 PM

Where the hell those 'democracy lover' politicians now? While Mullahs are jumping up and down on this issue, why they remain dead silent? What kind of political gain they are going to have being silent? No need to go for 'street protest' or 'bhangchur', but shouldn't they express their thoughts and support in the line of democracy?
Old September 20, 2007, 11:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Fande Poria Boga Kandey Reee...
Old September 20, 2007, 11:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

For those who can't read Bengali or has trouble with it.

Mullah: Hey kid, what's your name?
Kid: My name is Babu.

Mullah: Before you say your name, you should say "Mohammad". (i.e put Mohammad before your name)

Mullah: What is your father's name?
Kid: Mohammad Abu.

Mullah: So, what's that in your arm?
Kid: Mohammad Biral (cat).
Old September 21, 2007, 12:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
we need people who understand islam, implement it, and also embrace the modern aspects of life.
Problem is that such people don't exist and if they do they don't stand out much.

We live in an age of ignorance. We are all most happy to point the finger of blame towards the mullahs but seldom look the mirrors. End of the day, they do the very things that we do not (including the intellectuals not to mention some end up like Rushdie and Taslima Nasrin).

Fair enough they are misguided, lost, badly interpret the Quran, but end of the day they made the effort to do so which we intellectuals don't due to or work commitments, career or fun lives. And that includes people like myself who has a translation of Quran in english sitting in the bookshelves and never went through the whole book once.
Old September 21, 2007, 12:13 AM
Test Cricketer

they are using this for their own political benefit now. i have no problem with molla's. i respect them because they are the one who preaches our religion. but i do have problem with molla's who uses islam for their own personal and political benefit. there isnt anything wrong with that cartoon. when i first read at in the newspaper the newspaper made it sound alot different then what it really is. i feel bad for the guy who drew it.
Old September 21, 2007, 02:28 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
there was no need for the cartoonist to be punished as (from my understanding) he did not insult the prophet, but rather a peculiar tradition of bangladesh (and i'm sure many other muslim countries).

at the same time, this article was at least moderately irresponsible, witty though it might have been. why so?
and the list goes on and on. when you have people speak its either wrong (danish cartoons terrorist spiel) or utterly pointless (prothom alo's 'why is your name mohammad?')
I think it was just a light hearted joke about the mullahs, as many jokes exists about all kinds of professionals. It's hard to believe that the cartoonist tried to imply anything at all about Islam or Islamic culture.

Now the poor guy is being either labeled as villain (by Mullah and supporter group) or hero (for trying to make a "bold statement")
Old September 21, 2007, 03:41 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

good post babubangla bhai.
amader "dormio onubhuti" r foundation boroi dhurbol, na hoile ki ar ekta shamanno cartoon niya eto matha batha, Lal Shalu'r Majeed (a famous novel by Syed Waliullah published in 1948!!) re deikha ei 2007 eo amra bhoy pai.
Shibir bahini eki type er jokes chapaile oita tik ase, prothom-alo te ashlei amader dommo gelo ga, hayre Matiur Rahman- ei rup o dekte hoilo eksomoy er "Ekota" shompadok er.
Old September 21, 2007, 04:24 AM
ODI Cricketer

and the fightings hae started.
Reports of clash between police and people left around 50 people injured near bait al mukarrak.
Old September 21, 2007, 04:27 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special 1
and the fightings hae started.
Reports of clash between police and people left around 50 people injured near bait al mukarrak.
Prothom Alo faces demonstrations in Baitul Mukarram

Fri, Sep 21st, 2007 3:15 pm BdST
Dhaka, Sep 21 (bdnews24.com) – Many Islamist organisations including Hizbut Tahrir have started demonstrations against the daily Prothom Alo in Baitul Mukarram after Friday prayers.

Hundreds of demonstrators gathered at the north gate of the national mosque at around 1:25pm just after the prayers ended amid the state of emergency.

Earlier Hizbut Tahrir burnt an effigy of the Prothom Alo editor Matiur Rahman in the mosque complex.

Islami Oikya Andolon, Islamic Constitution Movement, Khelafat Andolan and Islami Chhatra Majlish also carried banners in the processions.

The processions demanded closure of the publication of the Prothom Alo, which they termed "Friend of the Jews and Christians" for carrying a rogue cartoon strip in its satire magazine Aalpin.

The agitators also chanted slogans for besieging the paper's office in Karwan Bazar.

A huge number of riot police deployed in the area played the silent spectators during the demonstrations.

The protestors took out processions from Baitul Mukarram north gate to the High Court area.

Source
Old September 21, 2007, 07:27 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

As I said, the joke has nothing to do with Islam or Islamic tradition, but it has all to do with illiterate mullahs who give wrong sermons. He showed what the result of those wrong sermons. Rajakars do have things to worry here, as they use those wrong sermons as their source of bread and butter. I'm surprised that not CTG not any other group pointed that out and asked them to shut the F up.

Now, to make my point I'll give another joke here, I'll try to make it G rated, but might end up G+. Basically, they both have the same message:

একজন লোকের বাবা মারা গেছেন। সে তখন তাদের বাড়ীর কাছের মোল্লাকে যেয়ে জিজ্ঞাস করল, কেউ যদি মৃত্যুর আগে কিছু খেতে চায়, কিন্তু খাওয়ার আগেই মারা যায়, তাহলে কি করা উচিৎ? মোল্লা বলল, তাহলে ভাল কোন মোল্লা ডেকে তাকে খাওয়ায়ে দেবেন। (বলা বাহুল্য ধর্মে এধরনের কোন নিয়ম নেই। মোল্লা একটা দাওয়াতের আশায় এটা বলেছে) । তো মোল্লা যা আশা করেছিলো, লোকটা বলল, তাহলে আপনিই কাল আসেন আমাদের বাড়ীতে। পরদিন, মোল্লা বসেছে খেতে, কিন্তু সে ঠিক চিনতে পারলো না কি খাচ্ছে। তো সে, বলল, রান্না তো খুবই ভাল হয়েছে, খেতেও ভাল, তা জিনিসটা কি? তখন লোকটা বলল, শেষের দিকে বাবাতো কিছুই খেতে চাইতো না, মেজাজও খুব খারাপ থাকতো। তো আমি যখন যানতে চাই কি খাবেন, তিনি বলেন আমার _____ খাবো। তাই কেটে রেখে আপনাকে রান্না করে দিয়েছি।

Last edited by Rubu; September 21, 2007 at 07:34 AM..
Old September 21, 2007, 08:55 AM
Cricket Sage

Where is Rubu's Joke Gone?

Is he also sacked from BC Staff.... or he is sent to jail?
Is BC editors are going to aplologize to the public for posting it in the first place?
Old September 21, 2007, 09:12 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Classic mollatantrik demonstration in Dhaka today. Tilke tal baniye rajnoitik phayda lotar fyashibadi cheshta ... CTG's steps to avoid this crap fails.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old September 21, 2007, 09:40 AM
Cricket Legend

I don't get why some of us are calling the cartoonist a 'genius'. What's so genius about writing 3 page cartoon that causes nothing but controversy?

Also, CTG should ban this demonstration and use similar police presence as in DU to break it up. We had enough of this kind of rubbish where people take law into their own hands. Let's be fair here and treat the mullah in same line as politicians.
Old September 21, 2007, 09:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I don't get why some of us are calling the cartoonist a 'genius'. What's so genius about writing 3 page cartoon that causes nothing but controversy?
I wouldn't quite call him a genious but he is a good cartoonist no doubt. He did not cause the controversy, and it should be apparent to anyone that there isn't anything controversial in the cartoon. The controversy has been caused by the same religious mafia that starts riots and cuts tendons of the "infidels".

Quote:
Also, CTG should ban this demonstration and use similar police presence as in DU to break it up. We had enough of this kind of rubbish where people take law into their own hands. Let's be fair here and treat the mullah in same line as politicians.
This I completely agree with. CTG should deal with this in the same strong fashion. Part of the challenge for CTG would be to do a great PR job so that the moronic masses don't digest any crap that says CTG is anti-islamic.
Old September 21, 2007, 10:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialbd
.... If he stood by Aslam, his effigy would have been burning in Paltan by now....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Prothom Alo faces demonstrations in Baitul Mukarram
Earlier Hizbut Tahrir burnt an effigy of the Prothom Alo editor Matiur Rahman in the mosque complex.

Source
eto kisu koreo shesh rokkha hoilona....
Old September 21, 2007, 10:32 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialbd
eto kisu koreo shesh rokkha hoilona....