facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old June 4, 2008, 08:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24957002/

Looks like the hick has got tired of moonshine and now the newest member of whinefest.

I guess it didn't matter to him when Ryan Malone was called for goalie interference in Game 2 for barely touching Osgood.

Old June 4, 2008, 08:57 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
IC

A.O is a better pure goal scorer than Malkin. He is better than everybody. But, Malkin is a better passer. Witness the career year enjoyed by Bugsy and Siky. All because of him. 47 goals is not too bad either. A.O is more expressive and inspirational. But, Gino is not too far behind in his quiet own way. When Sid went down, there was no dispute that he was the best player in the NHL who carried his team to the playoffs, which continued all the way to conf finals. He was leading all playoff scorers with points. He is clearly hurt and we know in Pittsburgh that he is carrying a rib injury. Its hard to breath with cracked ribs. He is trying. You make an unfortunate comment about him not playing hard because there are no cheques coming his way! Care to look at his stats through out the playoffs up until the second game of the Conf Finals? He was a Conn Smyth candidate. Maybe, thats what happened to your Habs, you know the no.1 seed in the East who needed seven games against the lowly Bruins. Price wasn't happy not getting paid ? Expected better than this.
There are many quiet superstars in the league Beams but they don't quit on their teammates. Talbot the checker from the 4th line scored the gwg. Gary Roberts was old man was trying rally the troop. Malkin probably didn't need a fully functioning respiratory system to utter some words. I thought both Malkin and Hossa played on Crosby's line which is why they have the number of points that they have. Sykora has been struggling (9 points but has an acceptable 3 +) thoughout the playoffs so he couldn't be playing on Crosby's line which probably means that he played on a different line than Malkin and or with Malkin when Malkin wasn't playing with Crosby. Based on stats 5 on 5 Malkin isn't doing that well. Crosby has 24 points 5 on 5 while Malkin has 16.

Getting away from points analysis...there's no substitute for passion in the playoffs and Malkin seems disinterested (in the finals) when things are not going his way. I am aware that Malkin is still top 3-4 in points among the pens but he had no points in this series untill last game. It's also true that his presence created the chance of the gtw which Talbot burried on the rebound. But it's irritating to see someone of his calibre coming up with excuses. Malkin can't give excuses for lack of trying. That's more of a mental illness than physical. You don't think some of the wings players are injured as well? Ryan Malone a fellow teammate of his as you so accurately pointed out played with a broken nose and probably may had it broken again from Hal Gill's shot (with all due respect Gill has no place in any NHL's team's powerplay). Blood seemed to explode from Malone's nose but he soldiered on. Let me remind you that narrowness in airway of the nose makes it hard to breathe as well. Malone continued and blocked shots covering his face with one hand. These things inspires teammates. He may not earn the big bucks but he seemed committed to winning. I admired that.

I remember telling you that Grapes was mad with Malone and other pens forwards because they weren't willing to pay the price but last game all of them did which is why they won. Surprisingly most of the players who I thought weren't giving it there all ie. not trying hard, when they did Pens won. In my past posts I was unhappy with the way Dupuis, Sykora, and Malkin were playing but in game 5 they all stepped and contributed to the win which means i was right to criticise those guys. I will say this much in my defense. Injured or not Malkin for as long as he's considered a top player, he'll have to deal with the pressure of producing just like everyone in the superstar category. Bottom line is everyone plays injured during the playoffs, and those who can transcend beyond the physical limitations imposed by injuries are the ones who shall be the winners. Just remember, a 6 still counts for 6 runs even if it goes 124m and analogously a pretty goal or an assist still counts for one point.

As for the habs losing getting out quickly well, let's just say playing net in the playoffs comes with a lot more pressure than playing as a forward in team with at least 6 players of star quality. Price panicked and couldn't overcome the mistakes mentally but he never gave excuses, faced the music like a proud person should. Remember the real hero of game 5 was behind the mask.

Last edited by Ishtylish cricketer; June 4, 2008 at 12:31 PM..
Old June 4, 2008, 10:29 AM
Cricket Guru

Fair criticism is appreciated and I would be the first one to admit that Malkin hasn't been the same in this series regardless of the injury situation. But, I take issues when you say that the cheques stopped coming and that is the reason he is quitting. Its only fair for me to refer to the Habs and accuse them of doing exactly the same of what you are accusing him of. Unless you retract that comment, I don't care what happened to Price or his other teammates, it will be only fair to make the assumption that they didn't show up because they didn't get paid.

Malkin and Sid occasionally plays together with Hossa in the same line. Sometimes MT will put them together when we are trailing. They are also together in PP's. Other than that, they are not not line mates, not even in playoffs. Malkin, Bugsy and Syki are part of the " Steel City Line " as they are known for their place of origin. Bugsy is form the Burgh, Gino from Magnitogorsk ( Steel city in Russia ) and Syki is also from steel/miming town in Czech. The production from that line has nothing to show for because of Malkin's lacklusture play. Bugsy at least kills penalties and joins the PP. Syki, until he got the OT winner, has been a ghost. Whatever is ailing Malkin, he needs to suck it up, since without him being a factor tonight, we have no chance against the Wings. They are a superior side, specially that D unit, and can't rely on Marc-Andre to bail us out yet again. If we win, it will be because of our character guys, where we have the edge over them, albeit slightly.

Is it me or it seems like that N American media are overly critical of any player of Foreign origin whose play dips during a series in playoffs? I remember how Datysuk was treated earlier in his career for vanishing in playoffs. He seems to be doing fine these days now that he is 30 years old. Malkin is alll but 21, who has played every game this season with highest number of mins. Carried his superb form to the playoffs and racked up goals after goals, points after points ( 20 points now..is it that bad? maybe by his standard..yes )and now that he is not producing as much, all types of allegations are flying , including not getting paid, or doesn't care, not tough etc..He is the only guy known to me who sent Ovechkin flying to the board, or how he crushed Coburn on open ice..Anyway..on to game 6 and boy we need Malkin..

Gino is super quiet, partly due to his inability to speak in English IMO, but he let his actions speak for himself throughout this year. Sure, he is not playing up to his superstar status, but I am not gonna forget what he has meant to us this year. Without him, in Sid's absence, we might not have been in playoffs ( along with Ty ). Even in the early playoffs, he carried the team vs Ottawa ( Sid was just coming back from injury and wasn't much of a factor ) and vs Rangers. He continued that up untill the second game vs Philly until he got injured.

I agree with what you said about Bugsy, Dupuis and Talbot. Bugsy is the heart and soul of this team. Roberts is from another planet in terms of intensity. Gill had no business in PP's. But remember Serge was out ( what character to come back ) and we had to rotate the D-men. He only came towards the end of the PP. But, shouldn't be there. I agree.
Old June 4, 2008, 01:04 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Beams, North American players dream of playing in the Stanley cup finals. To them Stanley cup is the ultimate prize so they play their hearts out and lay every thing on the line to win it. Most europpean though they dream of playing in the NHL don't realize just what it takes to win in the playoffs and are not accustomed to blocking shots (though there are exceptions like Volchenkov, etc), hitting hard, paying a hefty price to make plays. They learn those things during the regular season but in the playoffs the level goes up a few notches and sometimes they fall behind. I know it's a bit unfair to criticise them for that because they play in bigger rinks, a slower style of game, etc but professionals have to adapt quickly. Dealing with unfair criticism is part of being a professional player, they have to get used to it.

Volchenkov the russian defenceman, "the human backboard" who plays for Ottawa Sens throws his body in front of the point shots as if they are from a water gun. My point about Malkin only playing for money is based on the fact that if he stops competiting. If you stop competing you're basically saying the opposition's better than us there's nothing to be gained. Maybe he needs to meditate or something to improve his mental toughness. He's a fine player no doubt about that but he can be even better and he needs to realize that quickly. His mantra should be very simple, play and compete hard, the sterotype will be soon removed. Game 6 stanley cup finals, he should see this as an opportunity to grow his reputation as a player.

In the playoffs it's more than numbers. Yes, superstars must produce but if you're struggling you should find other ways to contribute to the team. Check out what V. Lecavalier and Iginla do for their teams. Iginla in particular has no stars to play with him but never complains finds ways to get it done. If you can't score, you should get backcheck, block shots, and even fight just to send the message. He just has to make his presence felt. You can be struggling physically but you can't show that. He will learn with time.

Ps. Are you watching from the Mellon Arena tonight?

Last edited by Ishtylish cricketer; June 4, 2008 at 04:47 PM..
Old June 4, 2008, 01:40 PM
Cricket Guru

IC
Well said as always. Point well taken and understood. I didn't say that he doesn't deserve any criticism, as he surely does, and I have said it often here that he needs to suck it up for his mates regardless of his injury situation. I defend him because I know what type of energy he plays with. Anyway, we need him more than anyone. He needs to farther than draw inspiration from Mad Max Talbot. His broken foot hasn't healed yet and still he does his job.

Anton Volchenkov is one tough hockey player. This year in the playoffs against us, he took a slap shot straight in his forehead, broke a bone and only missed one game I think. Last year also after that Gary Roberts hit in the playoffs he just shook it off. It was one of the most crunching hit I have ever seen.

I am watching at home. They had only 1,000 tkts available and it was gone by 15 minutes. I heard people lined up very early in the morning.

Health wise we are fine. Bugsy plays. Not surprised. Serge is playing as well. We might dress an extra D man . In that case, Letang should be back in the line up. We will leave everything out on the ice. Thats the only way we are gonna beat this team..

Lets Go Pens
Old June 4, 2008, 07:02 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Bismillah !

No Internet issues this morning Mashallah, and we're ready to go.

NO PRISONERS, NO MERCY, NO DOUBTS, NO EXCUSES !

LET'S GO RED WINGS, TIME TO GET WHAT BELONGS TO US !!!
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 4, 2008, 07:06 PM
Cricket Savant

Gotta try and get an early goal, maybe two Inshallah.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 4, 2008, 07:20 PM
Cricket Savant

14' wrister from Franzen ! Fleury's there !
Old June 4, 2008, 07:22 PM
Cricket Savant

We get a PP thanks to Sydor ...

LET'S DO IT !
Old June 4, 2008, 07:25 PM
Cricket Savant

34' wrister from Rafi and HE SCORES ! 1-0 Wings !

THAT'S THE FIRST GOAL !!!
Old June 4, 2008, 07:31 PM
Cricket Savant

Pav's doing great against Crosby.
Old June 4, 2008, 07:32 PM
Cricket Savant

Dumb stuff from DD ... PP for the Pens.
Old June 4, 2008, 07:34 PM
Cricket Savant

5 on 3 for the Pens as Kris goes into the box ... he's one of our best PK guys, questionable call ...
Old June 4, 2008, 07:36 PM
Cricket Savant

OUTSTANDING PK from Hank and Ozzie !
Old June 4, 2008, 07:39 PM
Cricket Savant

2nd PP for the Wings, thanks to Hall, a former Spartan ...
Old June 4, 2008, 07:41 PM
Cricket Savant

Hudler misses the target from 18'.
Old June 4, 2008, 07:45 PM
Cricket Savant

Hank's 20'-er just wide off the net !
Old June 4, 2008, 07:47 PM
Cricket Savant

Too many TVTOs already ... :grrr:
Old June 4, 2008, 07:56 PM
Cricket Savant

End of 1, Wings lead 1-0, SOG Wings 9-8.

Good start but we need an early goal in the 2nd.

We'll get it Inshallah, both Pav and Hank are due.

Last edited by Sohel; June 4, 2008 at 09:00 PM..
Old June 4, 2008, 08:14 PM
Cricket Savant

Here we go.

LET'S GO RED WINGS !
Old June 4, 2008, 08:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Lilja hits the box for slashing, PP for the Pens.
Old June 4, 2008, 08:19 PM
Cricket Savant

Good PK, Ozzie, the Saint and Junior do what's necessary.

Great clean hit on Crosby from Stu, took him out of the PP ...
Old June 4, 2008, 08:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Missed 14'-er from Filppula.
Old June 4, 2008, 08:24 PM
Cricket Savant

Gill blocks Hank !
Old June 4, 2008, 08:26 PM
Cricket Savant

Filppula SCORES, 2-0 WINGS !

YESSSS!!!