facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old June 2, 2008, 10:09 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
So is it 3-1 now? Where is the next game gonna be? Detroit?
3-1 for Wings.
Next game @ Detroit- Today 8pm EST!!

Old June 2, 2008, 11:47 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Next Game, Wednesday 8 P.M @ the Igloo..
Old June 2, 2008, 06:37 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
Next Game, Wednesday 8 P.M @ the Igloo..
Keep supporting your team Beams. I like your spirit. It ain't over till it's over.
Old June 2, 2008, 07:23 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
IC,

Good take on the 5 on 3 PK, really enjoyed reading it for obvious reasons. Hank has the Selke all but sewn up with his heroics, although IMHO Pav should get it for his overall defensive play, especially 144 takeaways, during the whole season.

Before the SCF, I thought Malkin was their all-important X-Factor and Beamer identified Ozzie as ours.

Ozzie keeps on clicking while Malkin continues to choke and make lame excuses.The results speak for themselves.

No Hart trophy for Malkin with attitude like that, I'm afraid. If you can't stand up and be counted when your team needs you the most in the SCF, you are worthy of nothing IMHO.

Luckily, he's still young and can overcome the SCF jitters with time just as Hossa has.
True, Osgood never gets mentioned as a top goalie in the NHL but after and if he wins his thrid cup, people will hopefully give him the due respect. Most goalies in his place would be bored to death because he only has to make "some occaisional god-damn saves" (borrowing John Tortorella's list of demands from his goalies here).

Sohel bhai the Selke may go to Zetterberg but if I am not mistaking the votes for the annual invidual NHL awards are based on regular season only so, that save on Crosby may not count to enhance his chances. It would be an utter shame though, if that play doesn't count for the Selke trophy competition.

Most people I know including myself prefer Ovechkin over Malkin because Ovechkin has this aura about him that inspires teammates which Malkin visibly lacks. Granted Malkin is a centre and the roles are a bit different from a winger but one can never accuse Ovechkin of quitting on his team or a play; the same cannot be said about Malkin. Malkin is young but Ovechkin is no old geaser and even though Malkin's younger he arrived in the NHL only a year later. To Ovechkin's credit he seems to have revitilised Federov's career who with the jackets simply collected cheques from the booth, or so it seemed. Although, Malkin scored heavily during regular season, with the added pressure of SCF he is missing the more often than Shaquille O'Neal does in free throws. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that the cheques stopped arriving. Malkin has ways to go before he can be compared in the same breadth as Ovechkin and Crosby in my humple opinion.
Old June 2, 2008, 10:35 PM
Cricket Guru

OT 0.0 123OTT
Pittsburgh 20103
Detroit 01203
0.0 End of period.
Last Goal: 3rd, 19:25 PIT - Talbot, GOAL, Wrist Shot. Assist: Marian Hossa, Evgeni Malkin
Old June 2, 2008, 10:56 PM
Cricket Guru

2OT 12:22 123OT2OTT
Pittsburgh PP 201003
Detroit 012003
Last Play:2OT, 07:38 PIT won faceoff.
Old June 2, 2008, 11:00 PM
Cricket Guru

50th save by Fleury!!
Old June 2, 2008, 11:13 PM
Cricket Guru

2OT 2:16 123OT2OTT
Pittsburgh 201003
Detroit PP 012003
Last Play:2OT, 17:44 DET won faceoff.
Old June 2, 2008, 11:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

2 mins left in the 2nd OT. Det on PP.
I am tired and i want to sleep but this is just going on and on.
Old June 2, 2008, 11:16 PM
Cricket Guru

End of 2OT....still 3-3.....GO WINGS!!
Old June 2, 2008, 11:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Someone win already. I can barely keep my eyes open right now.
Old June 2, 2008, 11:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
Someone win already. I can barely keep my eyes open right now.
it's going on and on.......
3OT 15:28 123OT2OT3OTT
Pittsburgh 2010003
Detroit 0120003
Last Play:3OT, 04:32 DET - Drake shot on goal. (Snap Shot)
Old June 2, 2008, 11:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Pens win.

Congrats. Awesome game
Old June 2, 2008, 11:48 PM
Cricket Guru

3OT 0.0
123OT2OT3OTT
Pittsburgh PP 2010014
Detroit 0120003
0.0 End of period.
Last Goal: 3OT, 09:57 PIT - Sykora, PP GOAL, Slap Shot, Unassisted.
Old June 2, 2008, 11:55 PM
Test Cricketer

Giving a PP in the 3rd OT is a cruel way to decide a game. Congrats to the Pens, they live to see another day. Fleury played a big hand this game for the pens. Beamer's wish came through. Game 6 in Mellon Arena. Make some noise Beams.
Old June 3, 2008, 04:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin
Angry Missed the game, NO INTERNET !!!

What a heartbreak!

First, my ISP goes off line around 4 AM, just 2 hours before face off. I go through all the “release/renew/retype” motions to realize that it was indeed an ISP issue.

Sadly, since it was early in the morning and literally 5 or 6 hours before I could talk to my ISP guy, I just had to bite the bullet and MISS THE GAME IN ITS ENTIRETY with no TV updates available until at least lunchtime, such is the popularity of hockey in this crappy-@$$ed South/Southeast Asian market !!! … ...

Way too devastated to call my friends in California or British Columbia and annoy them for SMS updates, and with the knowledge that all of my cousins, nephews and nieces in Detroit are at the Joe, I called my ISP guy around 9 and just waited with no clue as to what was happening in the game.

But my heart was sinking all the time, with the gut feeling that this wasn’t to be our night. Like Dallas before them, the Pens will take this one from us and force game 6 in their building.

Anyway, around 1 PM, I got a BBC World update about the results and my fears were confirmed. The Pens had won what the numbers suggest was the game of games in the SCF.

Before the SCF started, I told Beamer that I was hoping a nerve wrecking, classic, 7 game series with a triple OT goal to decide it all in the 7th. Looks like we’re getting there

... Congratulations to the Pens for showing this much character and pushing us to where we’ve never been pushed before in the SCF before, at least in the modern era. No sweeps or lame 4-1s this year Mashallah. Hats off to Fleury for "pulling a Fuhr, or a Roy, or a Beezer, or a Marty B" and be counted with the very best ! ...

Although we live and die by the Winged Wheel, we’re first and foremost hockey lovers. Let's have an SCF for the ages, worthy of the greatest game ever invented, and the sacred grail most difficult to win.

BTW, we ain’t dead yet, and the Pens have to get one more before being forced back into the Joe, so the pressure's more on their young minds as far as I'm concerned.

... Beamer, it makes me happy to feel your happiness even in this dark day, so congrats to you my twin, and all other Pens fans for supporting a hockey club well on their way to greatness, despite all of the unfortunate gender identity, mobile housing, and media-slutting issues.

I don’t use the word “greatness” lightly BTW. Mario better not screw this one up for the good of hockey.

Having said all that, we’re neither panicky nor worried as usual, simply because we know who we are and what we’re capable of.

Not that anybody gives a rat’s @$$, but I’ll post something about the game once I go through the highlights and stuff.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 3, 2008 at 07:18 AM..
Old June 3, 2008, 08:31 AM
Cricket Savant

OK, I've just been through scrutinizing the nhl.com Play By Play and seen all the freely available highlights. I've also talked to my cousin Sabina, a native of Detroit who was at the Joe, and a few friends.

The conclusion is simple enough: character and Fleury did it for the Pens with 35 seconds to go before our 11th cup win. Heartbreaking to come so close after a methodical comeback from a 2 goal deficit ! ...

Way.To.Go. Penguins ... []

Lilja and Junior's nervousness or putting ourselves into a 4 minute PK notwithstanding, excuses are nothing but excuses at the end of the gloomy day. That said, we may see Cheli instead of Lilja in game 6.

Anyway, Babcock summed it up pretty well.

Quote:
Game 5 postgame quotes: Mike Babcock
NHL Public Relations Jun 3, 2008, 1:35 AM EDT

Q. I think people certainly watching in the stands and at home and looking at the shots on goal, territorial advantage, and say: How did you not win this game? What's your sense of that?

COACH MIKE BABCOCK:
Well, I mean, I thought we -- we had every opportunity to win the game, obviously. And saying that, though, we started slow.

I thought we were really nervous. We never made a play in the first period, for whatever reason. And whether that's focusing on outcome rather than just process and doing what you always do. You know, we really battled our way back, we had every opportunity. And we had it twice, one at the red line and one on the half wall. And we didn't get it deep, and we never got it out. In the end, they scored, and we never scored on our chances in overtime. So that's the game.

Q. A lot has been said about experience and age in this series, and given the fact that this went into six periods, what does age have an effect in a game like this?

COACH MIKE BABCOCK:
I don't know. I guess -- I think what you're getting at is it should help the young people, is I think what you're getting at, right? I think a lot of our players are pretty young as well and pretty fit.

I think the hardest thing in a game like this is the mental part. It's not the physical part. The mind drives the body. Your body can keep going. It's the mental part. You were that close, and then, oh, tough. And I think it's natural to feel bad for us for a bit, and feel bad for yourself. But it's the Stanley Cup playoffs. It's not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a battle, and obviously we're in one.

Q. I guess the mood was on to where do you go from here, how do you get this team now ready to play Game 6 after that many overtimes and travel, in a game you probably thought you weren't going to have to play with a minute left in this one?

COACH MIKE BABCOCK:
I don't know what you do about that, though. I mean, it happened. We got a game. That's all there is to it. We'll have an optional tomorrow. The guys can go right to the flight. And just have to ask yourselves how bad we want to win, and how determined we are. I think the resolve of the group is real good. I think the determination is real good. It's not like we didn't have every opportunity. I believe when you do good things, good things happen. Just do good things again.

Q. Is it fair to say that Marc-Andre Fleury stole that game, would that be a good way to put it?

COACH MIKE BABCOCK:
Well, I thought he had some help. They got down to five "D". Their "D" battled real hard. They got off to a good start tonight. They had two goals early. And I hated to see Petr Sykora get that puck late. You just know it's going in. He's that kind of guy. He won a game for me like that in Dallas in five overtimes. So Petr has that ability to score. And Fleury was good, and we didn't beat them.

Q. Can you talk about the feeling on the bench after that game-tying goal with :34 left?

COACH MIKE BABCOCK:
I didn't feel like that. I mean, sure you're disappointed. But we had such a great third period. We outshot them 14-4. We went into the third period, and we were down. We came out with an opportunity to win the game in overtime.

And so I guess it's all on how you look at it. Would we have liked to have got the puck out? Sure. Would we have liked to get it out deep when it bounced over Z's stick over the red line; it didn't happen that way. I thought ultimately we showed good resolve and played hard. We had lots of opportunities. It doesn't go in.

Q. Can you give an idea what it's like to go into a room after that, where you've had it so close and you play so long, almost another game, and lose that way, what as a coach do you say or can you say anything to them?

COACH MIKE BABCOCK:
I don't talk after we win, and I don't talk after we lose. So I don't have to think of something to say. I'll deal with that tomorrow.

When I walked in and talked to [Nicklas] Lidstrom, basically, and talked to the guys about our plan for tomorrow, basically just said: 'Hey, it's not easy. Keep your head up, let's get going.' But they're big boys. They understand this.

LINK
Here's a typical Detroit postgame bulletin ...

Quote:
Wings unable to close out series
Detroit has gone 10 straight playoff series without clinching at home
Michael Caples Detroit Red Wings Jun 3, 2008, 1:00 AM EDT

DETROIT -- Clinching at home continues to be a problem for the Red Wings, who failed to wrap up the Stanley Cup at Joe Louis Arena in Game 5 -- the second longest game in Red Wings’ Cup finals history.

Pittsburgh right wing Petr Sykora scored at the 10:03 mark of the third overtime to send the series back to the Steel City for Game 6 on Wednesday at 8 p.m. EDT.

The Red Wings mounted a third period comeback on goals by Pavel Datsyuk and Brian Rafalski, but it wasn’t enough to hold off the Penguins, who forced overtime on Maxime Talbot’s goal with 35-seconds left in regulation.

“You know, we really battled our way back,” said coach Mike Babcock, who’s Wings were behind 2-0 after the first. “We had every opportunity. And we had it twice, one at the red line and one on the half wall. And we didn't get it deep, and we never got it out. In the end, they scored, and we never scored on our chances in overtime. So that's the game.”

The Red Wings have not clinched a playoff series at Joe Louis Arena since they captured the Stanley Cup on home ice in 2002.

“Well, I mean, I thought we, we had every opportunity to win the game, obviously,” Babcock said. “I thought we were really nervous. We never made a play in the first period, for whatever reason. And whether that's focusing on outcome rather than just process and doing what you always do.”

After losing two straight in Nashville to let the Predators climb back into the opening round, the Wings were not able to clinch until Game 6 on the road. Detroit proceeded to sweep Colorado, which meant another road-clinching game.

With an opportunity to secure a trip to the Stanley Cup finals, the Wings dropped a 2-1 decision in Game 5 to Dallas at JLA in the conference finals. They bounced back, however, and beat the Stars, 4-1, in Game 6.

Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall said that his team never underestimated the Penguins.

“No one thought they were out of it,” Kronwall said. “Obviously they battled hard. They played well and (Marc-Andre) Fleury in particular had a good game. And we just have to do better from the start, I think, and hopefully we can execute a little more on our chances.”

The Red Wings out-shot Pittsburgh, 58-32, on Monday, but with Jiri Hudler in the box serving a four-minute high sticking call, Sykora beat goalie Chris Osgood from the top of the right circle. The winger took a feed from Evgeni Malkin, and ripped a shot over Osgood’s left shoulder.

Sykora said that during one of the overtime intermissions, he told his teammates that he was going to score the winner.

“Between the periods, something stupid I said, ‘I'm just going to get one,’ ” Sykora said. “So just don't worry about the game. I'm going to get a goal. And luckily, I got a great pass from (Malkin). I missed it one time before, probably by 20 feet. And it was kind of a lucky play. It hit the ref and went behind the net and (Malkin) got it, made a beautiful pass. I tried to put it upstairs, and the puck went in.”

When asked about what his team showed him in the overtime victory, Pens coach Michel Therrien said it was nothing he hadn’t seen before.

“They didn't have to show me,” he said. “I know my team. I know the character of those guys.”

LINK
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 3, 2008 at 08:41 AM..
Old June 3, 2008, 10:03 AM
Cricket Guru

Sohel bhai- you were being missed in today's game time.....only me and Bancan was here!! Inshallah next game.....

বিমার ভাই কি এখনও ক্যাম্পিং করেন নাকি!!
Old June 3, 2008, 10:09 AM
Cricket Guru

This will go down as one of the greatest win in Pens history. I am too tired and worn out to talk about it right now. Just couldn't sleep and kept on watching NHL Network until 3 am, now unable to keep my eyes open at work. Luckily, I am not alone. Its worth it. We live another day. It was really a game of many momentum swings. We jumped early on them in the First period. They looked a bit in disarray which is very unusual. However, right after helm scored, it was all Wings up until almost the finish. We kept losing players as well. Serge probably has a separated shoulder. Bugsy too a puck straight in the face right where he already has broken nose to show for. But, we didn't quit. We played much much better as the OT moved along. We played simple. Clear, dump, chase. Shifts were short and crisp. Wings kept on piling on and our five men D in absence of Serge kept giving up body to to block the shots. Highlight of the game for me when Bugsy laid down face first to block a shot in 2 OT after getting hit in the face like that. He also battled to screen the shot from Sykora's winner. Maybe, he heard Grapes in game 4 !When all else failed, there was Marc-Andre. He was stellar and showed us why Patrick moved up to pick him first over all. I am ecstatic to say the least. Our young team won't quit. Bring em on..
Old June 3, 2008, 10:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishtylish cricketer
Giving a PP in the 3rd OT is a cruel way to decide a game. Congrats to the Pens, they live to see another day. Fleury played a big hand this game for the pens. Beamer's wish came through. Game 6 in Mellon Arena. Make some noise Beams.
Bro..he had to call it. It was so obvious. Also drew blood. What a shot by Sykora. Feel for him. Poor guys is playing through bad injury. Once its all over, you will hear about his foot and Malkin's broken rib, courtesy Mike Richards...
Old June 3, 2008, 11:48 AM
Cricket Guru

IC

A.O is a better pure goal scorer than Malkin. He is better than everybody. But, Malkin is a better passer. Witness the career year enjoyed by Bugsy and Siky. All because of him. 47 goals is not too bad either. A.O is more expressive and inspirational. But, Gino is not too far behind in his quiet own way. When Sid went down, there was no dispute that he was the best player in the NHL who carried his team to the playoffs, which continued all the way to conf finals. He was leading all playoff scorers with points. He is clearly hurt and we know in Pittsburgh that he is carrying a rib injury. Its hard to breath with cracked ribs. He is trying. You make an unfortunate comment about him not playing hard because there are no cheques coming his way! Care to look at his stats through out the playoffs up until the second game of the Conf Finals? He was a Conn Smyth candidate. Maybe, thats what happened to your Habs, you know the no.1 seed in the East who needed seven games against the lowly Bruins. Price wasn't happy not getting paid ? Expected better than this.
Old June 3, 2008, 11:53 AM
Cricket Guru

Sohel

Not up to Mario to screw it up. We live in a salary cap era now. Everybody has to play by the rule. Shero will have to make some hard decisions after the series is over. He will build around Sid, Gino, Jordan and Marc-Andre- the four man who will eat up most of the yearly salaries. Staal will be a great player one day. We just have to build around them.
Old June 3, 2008, 12:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishtylish cricketer

Game Six indeed just as I called it. There is no quitting in this team. Lets go Pens. Give the seniors on skates hell! Give that Saskatoon ( wherever that is ) hick Badcock hell. Give the sweet soft Swedes some cough medicine. Put the cheap champagne away. We are not gonna go away specially when Ozzie is around. Not very smart to leave your post exposed with 30 seconds to go! And finally, give the other Nicole a GPS system
Old June 3, 2008, 06:30 PM
Cricket Legend

That was an amazing game. Detriot played better most of the game but Pens especially Fleury never gave up. The beginning few minutes of the 3rd period was amazingly fast. But that intensity for obvious reasons died off in the OT. You could tell the players were tired.
I was actually rooting for the Pens towards the end of 3rd. Surprising.
Old June 4, 2008, 03:36 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Sohel bhai- you were being missed in today's game time.....only me and Bancan was here!! Inshallah next game.....

বিমার ভাই কি এখনও ক্যাম্পিং করেন নাকি!!
Missed you guys too, bro ...

And the game itself ...

My fingers are crossed for towmorrow morning. I'm talking about my ISP's reliability here, not necessarily the outcome of the game.

Hell will freeze over before I doubt my Wings, or vote Republican for that matter.

Anyway, here's The Crow breaking game 5 down as well as only he can, now that The Great Scotty Bowman's not talking to the media. Led by TGSB, we've had some of our most intense battles with the mind of this great young coach. Ironic that that he thinks very much like TGSB, perhaps even more so than the classy Babcock.

Quote:
Crawford breaks down Game 5, looks to Game 6
Shawn P. Roarke | NHL.com Managing Editor Jun 3, 2008, 6:13 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings coach Marc Crawford knows what it takes to win the Stanley Cup. As a player with the Vancouver Canucks, Crawford advanced to the Stanley Cup Final in 1982 before his Canucks lost to the Islanders. As a coach, he won the Stanley Cup, leading the Colorado Avalanche to the 1996 crown, defeating Florida in four games.

Now the coach of the Kings, Crawford has agreed to share his expertise with NHL.com, breaking down the 2008 Stanley Cup Final between the Detroit Red Wings and the Pittsburgh Penguins.

In his exclusive NHL.com analysis of Game 5 at Joe Louis Arena – a game that may be remembered as one of the most dramatic hockey games in recent memory – Crawford breaks down the game and offers his own unique insight on the game and the series.

"It was a classic, definitely, and if the Red Wings won it would've been a fitting end, but obviously this has got the Penguins right back into this series and right now, man, it's anybody's ball game," he said.

Watching the game with his coaching staff in an Los Angeles-area sports bar, Crawford, his coaches, and the rest of the patrons knew they were watching something special.

From a 2-0 lead, to a 3-2 deficit, to an emotional last-ditch effort by the Penguins to tie it up, the game was up for grabs for 60 minutes of regulation, and throughout a Herculean three overtimes that left players, coaches and fans alike physically and mentally exhausted.

For Crawford, it was easily the most entertaining game of the entire 2008 playoffs. And as impressed as he was with the Penguins, specifically Ryan Malone and Marc-Andre Fleury, he was just as impressed with the Red Wings' performance in Game 5.

"This is a hardened, battle-tested Detroit Red Wings hockey club and they know how to play, they know how to get themselves up they know what has to happen and it's not just in their star players, its in their role players and their veteran players and really it’s been passed on to their young players," he said.

"The big ticket now is to try and park the game and recuperate as much as you can and get ready for the battle of Game 6," he said.

Until then, check out what else Crawford had to say, including the following points:

* The impact of fatigue on both the Red Wings and the Penguins, and the difference in how that fatigue will be managed by two very different teams.

* The emergence of several Penguins as true leaders.

* Ryan Malone and Sergei Gonchar's gutsy performances in getting back on the ice after suffering serious injuries, and what that will mean moving forward.

* And finally, as a coach, what can be said, if anything, to keep a team in the Red Wings’ shoes from getting down on themselves and what can be said to a Pittsburgh team to keep them level-headed and focused on Game 6 at home.

Scroll around and LISTEN TO THE WHOLE INTERVIEW
LET'S GO RED WINGS !