facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

View Poll Results: How many medals (any color) will South Asian teams, representing close to 1.5 BILLION people can win
5 or more 4 21.05%
Less than 5 12 63.16%
Jiru 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 28, 2012, 02:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roni_uk
How do I do that... I thought I am already PM'able.. No?
Roni_uk has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

Old July 28, 2012, 02:38 PM
MLC World Series I

Ye breaks the WR and takes Gold for the 400m Individual Medley

Stephanie Rice fails as she finishes 6th
Old July 28, 2012, 03:38 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Sharmin Akter Ratna, Bangladesh's only shooter in the London Olympics, finished a dismal 27th among the 56 shooters in the 10m Air Rifle event at the Royal Artillery Barracks in London on Saturday.

The 24-year old SA Games gold medallist, who underwent extensive training in Bristol under Bangladesh coach Shoyebuzzaman for more than two months, shot 393 (95+99+100+99) to wrap up her Olympics campaign.

Her first series of shots cost too much as 95 is considered a poor show. Though she bounced back with three good series, the five-point deficit was too much to overcome.

Sylwia Bockaga of Poland and Yi Silling of China topped the eight-name final qualifiers list with 399 points. 397 was the cut out point and it was earned by Katerina Emmons of Czech Republic.

Yi Silling, the world champion later won the event with 502.9 points.

Meanwhile, Bangladesh archer Emdadul Haque Milon, who finished 61st out of 64 in the Men's ranking round, will face Great Britain's Larry Godfrey in the archery event at Lord’s on Monday.

Milon is ranked 127th while Larry is ranked 10th. The Bristolian has competed in the last two Olympic Games but is yet to claim a top-three finish.

±±±±±±±
source:http://www.daily-sun.com/mob/?view=details&type=daily_sun_news&pub_no=218&cat_id=1&menu_id=4&news_type_id=1&index=1

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old July 28, 2012, 05:02 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Most legit article from ESPN. http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2...-espn-magazine

See you b****s in Rio!

(I like how the black condom is the biggest one.)
Old July 28, 2012, 05:04 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Antonija Misura
Old July 28, 2012, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Most legit article from ESPN. http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2...-espn-magazine
Appalling.
Old July 28, 2012, 08:04 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis
Roni_uk has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.
Now I know why I don't have any gf in BC .... It's been 5 yrs since I have joined and never knew it

Re: olympics ....what a first day I had... Left home at 9:30 in the morning to the west side of the town for badminton, enjoyed some superb games by the Malaysian. Japanese, Chinese, Taipei, GBR, turkish hotie (yigit) and sexy Indian duo (ashwini ponnappa and Jwala Gutta). Then straight after back to east end for some brilliant Artist Gymnastics by ESP, GER, UKR, ROM, RUS. Got back home an hour ago at 1am... Exhausted but was totally worth it.
Old July 29, 2012, 02:42 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Just awful stuff from the Bangladeshi contingent so far, AGAIN
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old July 29, 2012, 05:09 PM
Cricket Sage

So far it's China and U.S. neck and neck at the top.

Phelp missed out to on the gold to a french dude. I guess it's revenge, since last time phelps beat out a french guy to win the gold.

Spain lost to Honduras by 1 goal. That must be a big upset. Spain is one of the favorite to win the tournament.
Old July 29, 2012, 08:32 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roni_uk
Now I know why I don't have any gf in BC .... It's been 5 yrs since I have joined and never knew it

Re: olympics ....what a first day I had... Left home at 9:30 in the morning to the west side of the town for badminton, enjoyed some superb games by the Malaysian. Japanese, Chinese, Taipei, GBR, turkish hotie (yigit) and sexy Indian duo (ashwini ponnappa and Jwala Gutta). Then straight after back to east end for some brilliant Artist Gymnastics by ESP, GER, UKR, ROM, RUS. Got back home an hour ago at 1am... Exhausted but was totally worth it.
Thats a loooooong day out considering you only live few miles away. BTW so far I have managed to avoid the Olympic area. Also because it was weekend the traffic was not much. But tomorrow is Monday, lets hope it turns out to be a "Funday" not a "Moanday".
Old July 29, 2012, 10:16 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

-So happy to see Spain lose - their reaction afterwards was priceless. Out of the tournament already!
-Phelps hasn't had the best of starts, but 5 more events left and he's only 1 medal away from tying the most ever(17 plays 18)
Old July 29, 2012, 10:49 PM
Cricket Savant

Hats off to the Chinese swimmers. Now that they've won gold in men's swimming also, it's a treat to see another country, especially an Asian country emerge to challenge the USA and Australia in the pool.

Phelps? Two words: Mary Jane. Not performance enhancing in the pool that's for sure.

Korean archers continue their dynastic dominance in the women's team event with their 7th consecutive gold. I love archery. Just don't wear anything yellow when I'm shooting.

Not at all surprised to see Indian athletes failing to live up to their own media generated hype yet again. Amazing how so many always buy into the delusions they spin so freaking often. We suck worse but at least we know it. Nobody here expected any of our athletes, including the Michigander, to qualify in any of their events and that expectation was met.

"Great" Britain so far?

Spain put up a better fight before losing to a spirited CONCACAF side. They're lucky that Japan didn't didn't beat them 6-0 or more. Look at the highlights if you don't believe me. They're an ordinary side without their Barcelona and Real Madrid superstars, and the midfield in particular looks suspect without Xavi and Iniesta. The defense is error-prone and simply awful with its monumental lapses at regular intervals. Rooting for Japan to win it, their finishing needs to get a frack of a lot better FAST for that to happen, but Brazil would be tough to beat.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; July 29, 2012 at 11:55 PM..
Old July 30, 2012, 03:44 AM
Banned

I see the whispers(not of the Chinese variety) have started up after the performance by Chinese swimmer Shiwen Ye.

Only 16, and smashed the previous 400m medley WR by a whole second - and that record was set using one of the, no banned, space age body suits.
Old July 30, 2012, 10:05 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Just saw the news about an important set of keys for wembley stadium lost by metropolitan police.

Big facepalm to them!!!!!
Old July 30, 2012, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Just saw the news about an important set of keys for wembley stadium lost by metropolitan police.

Big facepalm to them!!!!!
Mo - check your wallet.
Old July 30, 2012, 11:19 AM
Banned

After the Greek athlete, now a Swiss footballer has been expelled for racist tweets.

How stupid can people be?

Oh and India have their first medal from these games - Bronze in the men's shooting
Old July 30, 2012, 11:57 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Look at this article.

I found this portion to be particularly interesting:

"Their medals could also owe something to the unique talent identification system China uses to stream children into different sports. In his excellent 2003 profile of Yao Ming for the New Yorker, Pete Hessler, talks about how Chinese basketball players are selected strictly on the basis of their height and genealogy. "We go to the schools and look at the children's height, and then we check their parents' height," Hessler was told by one high school coach. "The method of early recruitment is a product of China's inability to provide every public school with coaches and sports facilities," Hessler wrote. "The system has proved effective in low-participation, routine-based sports like gymnastics and diving." And also, it seems, swimming.

Ye says she started swimming in 2003 because her "teacher spotted she had big hands". In swimming, where physique determines so much, the rather-rudimentary method of recruiting young athletes on the basis of their physical characteristics rather than their talent or inclination for the sport, appears to work well. It is coupled, of course, to an infamously fierce training programme, to the point where Ye was asked whether she resented being treated like a robot. "Of course not," she replied. "I think we have very good training, very scientific-based training, that's why we all have progressed.""

Could this be a way of investing in Bangladeshi athletes across the country while there is a dearth of funds for the sport(s)?
Old July 30, 2012, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Of note are the strong work ethics of the Chinese people too. Can you expect, say, someone like Aftab Ahmed or Nazimuddin to thrive under fierce training programs especially when they don't necessary have an inclination for the sport in question? Heck even Shakib doesn't like to train hard and he's the best we've got.

This sort of hand-picking may yield an athlete or two who will at most win gold medals at the SAAF games, but we're generally a very lazy nation. Combine that with organizational incompetence, lack of funds and the subsequent poverty resulting in kids leaning towards careers that yield greater immediate monetary returns, corruption, lack of skilled coaches and we basically have no hope. Hmm...this might be one for the why_are_our_athletes_so_hopeless thread in the other forum.
Old July 30, 2012, 01:16 PM
Banned

major drama in the gymnastics and fencing
Old July 30, 2012, 02:42 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Lochte cost us a gold. Phelps had a huge lead and he just blew it.
Old July 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

He seems to have come to London with one goal - deny Phelps a gold medal at any cost, swimming with or against him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Lochte cost us a gold. Phelps had a huge lead and he just blew it.
Old July 30, 2012, 03:47 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ lol I was sort of thinking that too. It's not totally out of the equation. He looked super slow and felt like he wasn't even trying. To top it all up, he looked super happy bitting on that sliver with his ridiculous grill.

Phelps looked good though. Lot better than day 1. I can see him winning at least 2-3 more gold.
Old July 30, 2012, 05:22 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Of note are the strong work ethics of the Chinese people too. Can you expect, say, someone like Aftab Ahmed or Nazimuddin to thrive under fierce training programs especially when they don't necessary have an inclination for the sport in question? Heck even Shakib doesn't like to train hard and he's the best we've got.

This sort of hand-picking may yield an athlete or two who will at most win gold medals at the SAAF games, but we're generally a very lazy nation. Combine that with organizational incompetence, lack of funds and the subsequent poverty resulting in kids leaning towards careers that yield greater immediate monetary returns, corruption, lack of skilled coaches and we basically have no hope. Hmm...this might be one for the why_are_our_athletes_so_hopeless thread in the other forum.
It wasn't too long ago that these very same Chinese people lived in an opium-induced haze and were themselves reluctant/unable to work. They suffered from maladministration and their country was divided by skirmishing warlords. We're lazy but our general situation isn't nearly as bad as that.

Now, the circumstances that our Olympic athletes are in is appalling. But it isn't anything that cannot be remedied with an administrative re-haul, which I am suggesting. I think hand-picking, as suggested in the article above, coupled with strict discipline and the lure of lucrative financial incentives will be the kick that our Aftabs and Nazimuddins will need. There may still be the matter of skilled coaches but as we can also see from the Chinese example, they still use a majority of Chinese coaches for their sports/athletics teams - coaches who may not have been personally very successful in their respective fields but still have skills to pass on to a more talented, better funded generation.
Old July 31, 2012, 12:17 AM
Banned

Bangladeshis are generally lazy - I completely disagree. This country runs on the sweat that drips from the backbreaking labor of the vast majority.

We generally suck at sports and lack natural athleticism.
Old July 31, 2012, 02:27 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
Bangladeshis are generally lazy - I completely disagree. This country runs on the sweat that drips from the backbreaking labor of the vast majority.

We generally suck at sports and lack natural athleticism.
Thank you for putting things in perspective. We're a nation of stoners who don't need to consume anything to achieve a semi-permanent state of stoniness. Explains the slow responses, love of music and munchies, propensity for pointless adda, and the incessant procreation. All great things IMO. So, even if we invest heavily in purely endurance sports such as walking, sailing, sculling and cycling -- things our people do every day -- the general lack of natural athleticism will be a mitigating challenge to overcome with considerable patience and difficulty.

The Chinese approach however, will ensure the survival of the fittest as most of us simply die training. That sort of grim Darwinism won't go unchallenged by our people once their children get picked into certain types of sports only to die in camp.

Also, I doubt that we as a nation have the willingness to systematically pay attention to that kind of strategic and deployment details for long enough. So lets just focus on cricket, golf, archery and shooting while we continue to live vicariously when it comes to all other sports.

I don't thing we'll allow ANYONE to do this to our kids: