facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 15, 2008, 04:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

I think it's time to bring this old thread back to attention.

Old March 15, 2008, 04:56 AM
Cricket Guru

We need to finalize a model for our cricket. We are running out of time. Every body understands it except persons who are concerned directly.
Old March 18, 2008, 10:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Sri Lankan cricket model is likely to go through much change anyway. Ppl are not happy with it, and new head Ranatunga is eager to improve Sri Lankas cricketing structure.
Old March 18, 2008, 11:27 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

This infrastructure is NOT so much a bad idea, I agree. However, I also believe that cricket is played the wrong way around the globe. The right way to play is create a private league and make the game played through private franchises (e.g. NBA in the USA). For example players like Jason Gillespie is no more making the cut in the Australian team; however, he can make a serious contribution for the Bangladesh team. Following are my 2 cents into the mix:

1) Think long term to establish Private Leagues (Test/ODI/20-20)
2) Also think long term to significantly reduce powers of national cricket boards. Cricket Australia, BCB and ECB should be more an advisory board for the game in respective countries.
3) Have private investors pump in money and that will create the path of infrastructure. Only real money will bring the brightest people playing the game.

Dissapointing that the world is not thinking the right way for cricket. I was hoping folks at banglacricket would at least propagate the vision.

Last edited by ZunaidH; March 18, 2008 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Old March 19, 2008, 01:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZunaidH
I also believe that cricket is played the wrong way around the globe. The right way to play is create a private league and make the game played through private franchises (e.g. NBA in the USA).

2) Also think long term to significantly reduce powers of national cricket boards. Cricket Australia, BCB and ECB should be more an advisory board for the game in respective countries.
3) Have private investors pump in money and that will create the path of infrastructure. Only real money will bring the brightest people playing the game.

Dissapointing that the world is not thinking the right way for cricket. I was hoping folks at banglacricket would at least propagate the vision.
Interesting post. I really don't like your proposal. Privatization of cricket may bring it's death.
Old March 19, 2008, 03:54 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

We are already in the process of following the Ausie model. Ausi/SA/Sri etc almost every country who has been successful in producing quality cricketers have a good system in place. It is virtually impossible to follow a model in totality. Lessons learnt from different systems has to be blended to our context to achieve the best results.

Srilanka possibly has the best structure in the subcobntinent. We also have to consider our national realities before we try to copy someone.There is nothing in pak cric structure worth following and many of Indian approaches are impossible to follow as we don't have such strong private sector to back the game. Ideally SA with limited private sector assistance, have a good structure and have a very dynamic structure. While Aus has a very stable and sound structure in place for a long time. To produce players in short term I think SA does a good job and for long term, we have a lot to take from Ausies.

Leaving more controll on the private sector is possibly a good idea, but unfortunately we don't have such capable private sector and if the focus is only on money and board does not have much controll, then 100 % matches will be fixed.
Old March 19, 2008, 04:25 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, Moyna, Cutter, Task

to me it seems they're already following the SL model
Old March 19, 2008, 05:41 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
Interesting post. I really don't like your proposal. Privatization of cricket may bring it's death.
are you kidding? Privatization is the ultimate direction for growth on anything. Why would cricket be any different. Get your theories straightened buddy...
Old March 19, 2008, 08:23 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
are you kidding? Privatization is the ultimate direction for growth on anything. Why would cricket be any different. Get your theories straightened buddy...
I am not thinking about marketing of cricket dude. Cricket is a game which is supposed have some aristocracy and i like it to be that way. I don't like it to be manipulated by businessmen just to make money (the way BCCI and indians are doing right now).
Old March 19, 2008, 09:17 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
I am not thinking about marketing of cricket dude. Cricket is a game which is supposed have some aristocracy and i like it to be that way. I don't like it to be manipulated by businessmen just to make money (the way BCCI and indians are doing right now).
Brother you don't want to market cricket and want development and keep the aristocracy attached to it. Where from the money will come for that development & aristocracy, without marketting it?

I'm afraid, that will turn into, "Goriber Ghora Rogue"

I don't mean that we have to turn into BCCI, how much control should be given to the private sector and how much to keep with BCB, that of course needs careful deliberation. Partial maketing has already began, question is how much more to go? There is no alternative to private paticipation.
Old March 19, 2008, 09:36 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: আশরাফুল

Good thread. WarWolf, can you please shed some light on the proposed model for Bangladesh in much more detail? And if possible break them into a work breakdown structure model. Thanks in advance.
Old March 19, 2008, 10:16 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruTM
Good thread. WarWolf, can you please shed some light on the proposed model for Bangladesh in much more detail? And if possible break them into a work breakdown structure model. Thanks in advance.
You can read the detailed model here...
Cricket: Sri Lankan Model and Its Possible Adoption in Bangladesh
Old March 19, 2008, 12:10 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Brother you don't want to market cricket and want development and keep the aristocracy attached to it. Where from the money will come for that development & aristocracy, without marketting it?
You probably misunderstood the post of ZunaidH. Here is what he proposed.

Quote:
I also believe that cricket is played the wrong way around the globe. The right way to play is create a private league and make the game played through private franchises (e.g. NBA in the USA).

I don't think playing the game throught private franchises or establishing private TEST or ODI is a wise thing at all. That was my point actually.
Old March 19, 2008, 12:32 PM
Cricket Sage

We are already following bits and pieces of Sri Lanka Model already. No?

For example: questionable team selection by the selectors, super star(s) uses their last farewell limelight as a tool of get even with the selectors, etc.
Old March 19, 2008, 12:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
We are already following bits and pieces of Sri Lanka Model already. No?

For example: questionable team selection by the selectors, super star(s) uses their last farewell limelight as a tool of get even with the selectors, etc.
We are following their negative things; not the positive ones.
Old June 14, 2009, 10:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Time to dig this old thread back again.

Two years have passed. Nothing changed.

Last edited by WarWolf; June 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM..
Old June 14, 2009, 12:41 PM
BanglaCricket BPL Fantasy League Winner 2012

Favorite Player: To Bash = AshDaFool

"Srilankan Model"....It sounded good in the beginning!
Then i realized, its only about cricket!!.......
Old June 14, 2009, 03:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Quote:
Time to dig this old thread back again.

Two years have passed. Nothing changed.
We're can we find a spinner that is allowed to Bowl 35 Degrees?

The Angelo Mathews, Jehan Mubarks of the world that are coming up are not good, In 10 years Sri Lanka will not be a good team, they find unorthodox bowlers that keep em competitive
Old June 14, 2009, 03:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
We're can we find a spinner that is allowed to Bowl 35 Degrees?

The Angelo Mathews, Jehan Mubarks of the world that are coming up are not good, In 10 years Sri Lanka will not be a good team, they find unorthodox bowlers that keep em competitive
This also a product of their cricketing system. They culture unorthodox beauties.
Old June 14, 2009, 04:02 PM
Banned

u did good wo.wlf bhai. u right. but our managemant not gona understand, what ever u saying....because there born to be illitarate. and dont forget, their politician. they will do what they wana do. at the moment thier making good money. so they dont have any excuse about their fainancial cause. bangladesh has lots of ability to playing good cricket. they have more oppurcunity, rather than srilanka. so where we behind? we dont have a commitement,
we dont have a country love
we r selfish
we can leave the country for money
and we dont play for team, we play for own++++++++

thats why srilanka 10 years ahead , rather than us. because they dont have a those kind problem, excepted economical problem. which because they r war zone. no body wants to go there....otherwise they r in top...
Old June 15, 2009, 02:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Nice proposal. Our cricket structure is also good. From my experience, I can tell one thing that we need better club officials. If we even implement this structure the problem will be same. Our club cricket officials are not good enough to be the officals of First Class Cricket.
Old June 15, 2009, 02:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

For that many years, we could not upgrade our club cricket tournament to first class cricket. In NCL, actually players does not feel pressure to perform as players have to motivate themselves to perform in NCL. Its a completely different scenario in Club level. Here lots of pressure comes from Officials and fans to perform. It's not close to the pressure of national team, but at least players get practice to perform under pressure situation. We need to upgrade the status of our club cricket to first class tournament and make it as important a tournament (if not more) as NCL.

My proposed model for club cricket is something like similar to Bangladesh Premiere League in Foot-ball. We should allow top 10 clubs of Dhaka Premiere League and 5 Champion clubs from 5 divisional leagues, and make a Bangladesh Premiere League with 15 clubs participating. By doing this we can have some real competitive cricket with interest/pressure from fans like we used to see in late 80's and early 90's. These will benefit us in many ways -
- It will ensure to have regular leagues in other divisional head-quarters and step forward for decentralizing cricket.
- Interest on Domestic cricket can come back as fans will be eager for their Abahani/Mohammedan
- BPL can be organized through out Bangladesh as there will be clubs from outside Dhaka.
- To make it more competitive, over time when more clubs will be involved, there can be relegation system introduced in BPL and BPL Division -1 , BPL Division -2 can be introduced.

I always think players from late 80's and early 90's generation, namely Lipu, Nannu, Bulbul, Akram, Athar, Saiful; they were not equal in quality of the current bunch, but on their time, they were more matured headed players. They had cool brain and used to perform under pressure. It had lot to do with playing some serious pressure cooker Abahani-Mohammedan matches in-front of 50,000 people. The real rise of Bangladesh cricket began on that time too when we started to have jam-packed stadium in Dhaka Premiere League.

I know we cannot get back those same intensity in domestic cricket for obvious reasons. But still there are many scopes to make it more competitive than what it is at the moment. There is no way out other than strengthening the club cricket if we really want competitive domestic structure.
Old June 15, 2009, 03:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

i still very much like the aussie model. you have 5 or 6 state/province or maybe in BD's case city teams, then within each of those you have about 15 maybe even 20 club teams and within each club there are about 6 different grade teams. give each city an academy team and a 2nd xi team as well as their #1 team and then you should breed players who've gone through the hard yards to get where they've got and also players who have played alot of cricket even if they are only young.

the other thing to do is to have regular A team tours where they player the strong state and province teams wherever they tour, BD should also compete in the emerging players tournament and if possible send a team to compete in the icc intercontinental cup (preferably an A team or development team). imo that would be a good structure, other things to think about are better qualkity facilities, umpires, management and creating an environment where players develop a certain attitude which will help them develop and perform as cricketers.
Old June 15, 2009, 05:50 PM
Cricket Guru

I personally don't think following the Aussies will be a wise decision for us. It could have been best if we were able to make our own model. As due to lack of vision this is not possible, we are bound to some other existing model. Due to economic, cultural and regional similarities, Srilanka should be the best model for us to follow.

As pointed by Yaseer, our cricket runs around clubs which is partially similar to them. Back in the 70s they had been an associate member of ICC and finally achieved full membership in the early 80s. Since then they constructed their path so well that they could become the world champions in 1996. We got some similarities in cricketing history so it's wise to follow them to get on the top of others.

Australia is one of the two first test playing countries and established their cricketing culture with more than 120 years of time. We are so different from them in every way that there is no real reason to follow them at all.
Old June 15, 2009, 11:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

After everything, One nation needs 2 things to maintain their sports.

1. A strong National Team for which people will dream to play
2. A good, unbiased and strong pipeline as player supplier (Containing A team, club cricket, U19/17/15 etc)

If we don’t have the combination of these, it will be difficult to maintain performance in International level. Do we have both of these?

I think we have.

Our national team is definitly dream for other young cricketers to play.
The pipeline is not unbiased fully but on an average it is unbiased comparing with other sports. We have A team, Club team, Divisional team, U19/17/15 team.

So, our structure is not so bad. We just need some good club officials, who has knowledge about cricket. Who doesn't come like Mastan to Club Officials.

Last edited by Imteaz; June 15, 2009 at 11:21 PM..