facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 29, 2016, 09:50 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim
Default Not just the selection!

its not just the selection. I know its easy to blame the selection when things go wrong and we lose games. But his approach has gone all downhill. There was a time when we played 4 full time seamers on home ground which is slow and low. Here we are playing on a wicket that has some grass, good bounce and carry and here we are playing 3 seamers 1 of which is making an international debut. You leave out a bowler who is not only the fastest in the country but also an experienced one.

Haturi used to be someone who put importance on developing the struggling experienced players like Tamim and Riyad. Now he is more concerned about bringing players according to their attributes and throwing them under the bus without any coaching or development work. Imagine how close someone like Ibadat Hossain is from making a debut!

He made bold moves before and they initially worked. But then he seemed to keep on going with it even when it doesnt work. We all liked his strictness as he disciplined arrogant players like Shakib. But then there is a difference between strictness and ego! His strictness has transformed into ego which is very unhealthy. When u are strict, you discipline the players but when you have plain ego, you just punish them. It is so sad to see players like Nasir Hossain so far away from contention. Guys like him, Al Amin Hossain are nearing their prime years and the damage Haturi da is causing by keeping them away at such a crucial stage of their career is inexpressible.

Why does Haturida and the staff need to take such radical steps when the team was doing just fine? the intention to give Haturi total selection control wasnt bad as it was unhealthy to have disagreements between selectors and coaches before every series. But then it was Haturida's responsibility to put in that extra effort and educate himself with our domestic scene in an attempt to familiarize himself with the local players. He did nothing! Its almost like he wanted a TV and he doesnt care if its Sony or Toshiba or Walton. As long as he has a tv he his happy. he wanted a leggie... doesnt matter how talented the leggie is or how bad his record is. He wanted an attacking batsman who can bowl seam... doesnt matter if he has an abysmal batting record and a part time seamer even for para cricket.

You simply cant be in charge of the selection process and rule out the most competitive domestic competition which he did very recently. if you think that competition is irrelevent, where is your plan to identify local talents?

Haturi da needs to calm down and realize he can also make mistakes. We want him to stay long term and we are ready to support him if he can bring results. We understand the results may not be in our favor all the time or a lot of the times its the players who are at fault. But here we can clearly see a flaw that can be rectified and should be rectified before anything else!

Old January 1, 2017, 12:09 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Imran Khan, Gary Sobers

Ami to kotodin dhoira koitesi, BCCI after that WCT202016 close call, Hathuri re collar dhoira bujhaise: araam se bhai, eto nachon kisher? Bohut korso, ekhon shothik pothe choila asho.

I'm not even joking anymore. This is not #pizzagate. This is daily reality of subcontinent.
Old January 1, 2017, 12:42 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Imran Khan, Gary Sobers

Important to keep perspective: Selection strategy is a HUUUGE issue, and overall player performance drop since the giddy heights of early 2016 is ALSO a Huge issue. Both need to be addressed, without either hogging the limelight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorHawk
I keep hearing Trump's voice when I picture what Hathuri must be thinking. "Nobody gets Bd cricket like me folks let me tell you. I have a very smart brain and I dont need to keep up with day-to-day domestics. I mean, who cares right. Domestics are for losers. BPL is for losers. I'm trying to build a team. It's gonna be the greatest team ever.Believe me. Its gonna have the best people. It's gonna be so awesome..... So I said we needed a leggie. If there's one thing all winners have, it's a leggie, and I said we needed more. In fact I said we needed a leggie who can bat. So they got me a list, and I said wow there's this great guy. His name's Tanbir. He's done a really good job. He's great. Tanbir. Tremendous. We also have an off-spinning allrounder that I've personally picked, Hom he's got a great record, I've personally seen him bowl a few times in the nets, he's tremendous, it'll be great......"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorHawk
I dont think our cricket is crumbling. By 'Everything' I meant my (and some of my Ind/Pak friends' ) sky-high expectations from the likes of Sabbir, Soumya and mainly Hathuri, the last of whom had this aura of invincibility after the SA series in 2015. When I heard him talk about planning backwards from 2019WC, I really believed this guy can make us win. I was starting to believe like I believed in Bernie Sanders this election. THAT is what has crumbled. My genuine belief and expectations from our current people.

The series vs Eng with our first major Test win is actually the PERFECT EXAMPLE of why I said 'crumbling'. The entire team was way worse than they had been at end of 2015 vs SA : the selectors with their undying faith in Hom/Rabbi/Shafiul, the absence of Nasir and the wonderful pace battery we built under Streak (though admittedly most were injured), Mushy with his classic captaincy and batting, Shabbir and Riad looking convincing for only 1/4 innings each if I recall etc. etc. Leave out this one young kid who debuted in the series and failed spectacularly with the bat (making up for it with the ball obviously), and it would have been an easy whitewash. Shakib/Tamim did ok (though Shakib's batting dissapointed), but that wouldntve saved the series.

The team from 2015 on the other hand, could have easily beaten England even without Miraz.

Cuss at me if you want, but other than Miraz (who's selection was always predestined anyways, given his heroics in 2016 U19 WC, and not some flash of brilliance from Hathuri&Co.), our cricket is taking a couple steps in the wrong direction since 2015, or maybe we weren't that good in the first place. Also, after looking at Soumya/Shabbir, I am less hopeful about Saikat/Shanto, while hoping to hell they all prove me wrong.

I'm done with the "We shall overcome some day"/ 4 steps forward 2 steps backward/ Incremental progress crap. We need to win something big while Mash is still around. I thought we easily could with our rate of progress. That belief has crumbled.
This is ALL I've been saying since joining BC. A rational response at the time, which now is a bit less accurate given recent performances, was

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
Only thing that is crumbling is the hype around the new group of players

Litton has disappointed. Soumya lost his mojo. Rony couldn't replicate his BPL- 3 form. Mosaddek looks like a walking wicket against pace. Miraz's batting doesn't aspire much confidence.

However, the senior crop is strong as ever.

Tamim
Riad
Shakib
Mushy
Mashrafe
Imrul
Rubel

Are all in great form
which is a big bonus. Bangladesh are finally reaping the rewards of continuing with senior players albeit less gifted ones.

However all the senior players I mentioned are in their peak age which means they arent likely to get much better which means we need to ensure that the next crop of players are well matured.

Tamim Riad Shakib Mushy have 2 world cups left. Barring riad the others might even be fit to play 3 world cups.

What we really want is some strong group of young players coming through the ranks. We have quality bowlers but not quality batsman. That comes down to playing very few A team matches or basically touring abroad.

BCB doesn't bother to arrange academy and A team tours. These tours build character of players.

Away from home
Different pitch
Playing against different group of players with different skillsets and technique
I was shocked by our drop in quality vs Eng at home (evident in every single player, except Tamim with bat, and Shakib with ball) but then Miraz saved the day, and everyone hit the delete button on critical thinking. If we win any match in NZ, or one of our boys get a 5-for/100/200, the same thing will happen again. Just because Pak still chokes doesn't mean Ban needs to be like that forever. We need proper systemic change and consistency. Main players are still unreliable. Needs to change.