facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 15, 2014, 10:37 PM
Cricket Legend

I actually see Afghanistan as a bigger threat. Passion and interest in a sport plays a huge role. Was just following a recent match against Bangladesh Under 23 football team. Although we won, there is a massive gulf in quality between the two sides. Unbelievable considering they have started playing football seriously in the last 5-7 years. Supposedly they are ranked 40 odd places above us, even higher than India who spends so much on their football and have a good domestic setup and a huge player base.

Cricket of course is a sport which requires more technique, and skill. But with good help from their neighbours they improve significantly. Already we have seen how their bowlers have overtaken ours in a matter of a few years. Even their spinners have caused more trouble than ours. Matter of time before their batsmen start firing.

It ll be a test for Ireland after some of the older guards move on-many of they in mid or early 30's and are key players. There are some good young players like Dockrell and Stirling. As long as they are not poached by their neighbours they ll do well. But Ireland needs more of such players. We Bangladesh might not have quality players, but we have a system in place to keep pumping in players. Thats sth where most associates will lag behind.

Old September 15, 2014, 10:57 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Afghanistan is the more promising side I agree. I think a lot still depends on how much the safety improves. It'll be very hard for them to progress if they can't play home games. It might be even hard to host domestic matches. So there are still a few question marks which unfortunately is out of the players control. If the state of the country can improve, I can really see them take off in cricket.

And I think Ireland will be able to put a system in place. Their board is much better than ours. Coach McInnes talked about how their doing a good job over there developing the players and says they could become another NZ. They might have a limited pool but with a decent system in place they could be pretty good.
Old September 15, 2014, 11:55 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Both very promising teams but agree that atm at least Ireland has the better chance for the reasons already given, these two teams actually want to progress and you can see they want to do what it takes to make it, BCB could actually learn from these associate countries in that regard.
Old September 16, 2014, 12:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
Afghanistan is the more promising side I agree. I think a lot still depends on how much the safety improves. It'll be very hard for them to progress if they can't play home games. It might be even hard to host domestic matches. So there are still a few question marks which unfortunately is out of the players control. If the state of the country can improve, I can really see them take off in cricket.

And I think Ireland will be able to put a system in place. Their board is much better than ours. Coach McInnes talked about how their doing a good job over there developing the players and says they could become another NZ. They might have a limited pool but with a decent system in place they could be pretty good.
That is very true!
Old September 16, 2014, 01:49 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Porterfield,Mushy,Rogers

I'm not in denial about our future.

At best we'll be another NZ but alas the ICC are intent on not letting this happen so maybe it'll never occur.

Anyone here aware of the new Interprovincial system set up last year?? Its the first domestic tournament among Associates that I'm aware of thats actually got promise.

Scotland and the Netherlands held a joint system of games this year called the North Sea Pro Series I think?? But that ended early and as far as I'm aware may not continue.

The Interpros is basically our gap from club cricket to the A and senior sides. Its only in its second year but its gotten off to a decent start and gives players a platform to perform on. Craig Young has used it well and is almost certain to play at the WC now. Some of our U19 and U17 squads have got a place with one of the three sides and have done pretty well so far.

Munster are scheduled to join the t20 version in 2016 and if that goes well will join the 50 over and 3 day formats as well, so we could well have a 4 team system in just 3 years. If Connaught develop or Leinster, the most populated region by far, is split into 2 we could even have 5 or 6 sides playing regular, multi format cricket, which will only boost the game.

I'm annoyed at how people brush us off as another UAE or Kenya because that is simply not true and any amount of basic research wouldve shown you that.

More info on the domestic tourneys in Afg/Ire are available on the ACBOfficials twitter account or facebook, and the cricket Ireland website respectively

Afghanistans domestic system is primarily focused on short 2 week events like the recent t20 competition they held. I've no idea as to the standard of it but its a good start for them. Unfortunately a lot will depend on off the field situation in Afghanistan and if that continues to deteriorate they will always be held back I feel. You cant have a regular stream of players coming from refugee camps like some of the current squad have. Its just too unstable. If they sort that out though they could well be a top 6 side IMO.
Old September 16, 2014, 01:58 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Ireland shouldn't blame ICC for anytihng. Their board is over a century old. What did they do to improve in all these years? They had the backings of England but still they couldn't set up a FC system.
Old September 16, 2014, 02:12 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
Ireland shouldn't blame ICC for anytihng. Their board is over a century old. What did they do to improve in all these years? They had the backings of England but still they couldn't set up a FC system.
Hope this is a joke

Age means absolutely nothing, especially when for the majority of the 20th century cricket was derided and not at all in the public domain due to a successful campaign against English sports by the GAA during the civil war and independence years.

Since when has Ireland had the backings of England?? Please point this out to me. Up until 2007 Ireland as a cricketing entity was nonexistent, the English didnt give a toss about us and to be fair why would they??

The reason I blame the ICC fr some of our issues is....

Lack of funding especially compared to Zim who are as corrupt a board as you can find.

Lack of matches. I mean BD have had more matches in the last 3 weeks than we've had all year. You'd think the ICC would give Cricket Ireland more money to actually arrange matches?? But never mind they dont want cricket to expand outside of Asia so lets disregard that...

The literally tried to kill off cricket here by booting us out of the World Cup until they had to reverse the decision

What kind of sporting body kicks out all Associates from the World Cup, even though we ran BD,WI close and beat England??

A sporting body more concerned with maintaining a status quo than expansion is the answer...
Old September 16, 2014, 03:26 PM
Cricket Legend

The ICC has 2 grant first class status to Ireland who have 3 domestic sides,there is talk Leinster will play 2 sides,which would make it a 4 team comp.Icc should give it first class status now.

Not aware of Afghanistans' comp,but tip them 2 do well in the Asian games,wouldn't be surprised if they upset bangladesh.
Old September 16, 2014, 11:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Thanks to Bangladesh i think ICC will take a bit of time to award test playing status to the next country.

After every defeat, cricinfo other international forums are full of comments: Revoke Bangladesh's test status. Sorry naysayers i dont think this is happening. Cricket is facing quite a fight from other sports. Now with competitions like ISL, maybe some kids in India will want to follow the path of their EPL heroes rather than cricketers. ICC has a massive challenge keeping the game alive. The business perspective is also there. No sport can be run without following, without spectators in the field. Look at the grounds in West Indies during the test matches. 10 times more people will turn up in BKSP or Abahani ground if an international game is being played.

This is one challenge Ireland will face. Never been there, but i am sure cricket isnt even in the top 5 sports. ICC will look at the business, following aspect besides the sporting, administrational side.
Old September 16, 2014, 11:48 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

I'm with Donal here...IRE could be another NZ. It takes time to develop cricket culture and tradition - we still don't have one, you can't in just 15-20 yrs at the top. Ireland are different than Kenya. They keep making good cricketers and they punch above their weight like NZ.

AFG also has potential but not playing at home is a disadvantage. Still they are fighters and have a pretty impressive record. I hope one of these two teams wins the test challenge and gets test status. Its time to expand the test club and the world cup to 12 teams.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 17, 2014, 06:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Then finally we can win a few test matches!
Old September 17, 2014, 06:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Ireland and afghanistan will give a decent run against bangladesh.
UAE not having a good trip so far beaten by a WA 2nd xl twice,did win against northern territory but they don't play in any national comps.
Old September 28, 2014, 03:32 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Shakib

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/765557.html

Afghanistan beat NSW Second XI by 5 wickets.

And we wonder what will happen next WC?! I am sure we cant even beat this NSW team as well in Aussie conditions..
Old September 28, 2014, 07:12 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out_You_Go
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/765557.html

Afghanistan beat NSW Second XI by 5 wickets.

And we wonder what will happen next WC?! I am sure we cant even beat this NSW team as well in Aussie conditions..
UAE have won 1 out of their 5 matches IIRC.

Afghanistan lost heavily in their first two games but have beaten NSW Second XI twice now.

Us and the Scots start next week