facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 31, 2016, 01:20 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

So so so happy he finally gets to be part of the celebration. He was missing out not being a LOI players. This win will be > than all the LOI's we won recently
Old December 4, 2016, 02:00 PM
Cricket Guru

With Soumya so horribly out of form, this is the perfect time to give Momin another run in the LOIs. Someone needs to tell Hathuru to put his biases aside and do the right thing.
Old December 4, 2016, 02:08 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

^^Agreed. after Kayes, He is currently the best for the opening slot. kid works really hard, still long way to go but he is a fighter
Old December 4, 2016, 07:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

nah id put Nafees ahead of Mominul at this moment.
Old December 4, 2016, 07:38 PM
Cricket Guru

^^ SN having a mental meltdown as soon as his chance for a return to the national team came close to reality. We need someone with good mental strength to succeed outside subcontinent, and Momin right now is the best top order candidate we have in this regard.
Old December 4, 2016, 07:56 PM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz

Yeah Nafees clearly lost his mojo after Papon's comments about his chances to return. Quite unfortunate.

Would love to see Momin in ODI kit again. I think if we persist with him like we have done with Soumya, he will definitely come good.
Old December 5, 2016, 02:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Mominul is not proven in the 50 over format at all. I think people keep on forgetting that.
Old December 5, 2016, 10:53 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Mominul is not proven in the 50 over format at all. I think people keep on forgetting that.
coming from a hardcore kayes fan? Wow BP. I'm surprised.
Old December 5, 2016, 04:58 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Neither was Kayes and he was given a lot of chances til he finally clicked.
Old December 5, 2016, 08:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
Neither was Kayes and he was given a lot of chances til he finally clicked.
Kayes started off decent in odis and as for test, we didn't have much better

Saying that I am not against mominul in shorter formats in the top 3

Old December 6, 2016, 04:09 AM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1000
Kayes started off decent in odis and as for test, we didn't have much better

Saying that I am not against mominul in shorter formats in the top 3
Kayes had a decent start in ODIs but he was hella slow for an opening batsman. He had a strike rate of only 65 for the first three years. It was really frustrating watching him play a test innings out there.

Even Anamul has a better strike over the same period of time(three years).
Old December 6, 2016, 05:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausif
Kayes had a decent start in ODIs but he was hella slow for an opening batsman. He had a strike rate of only 65 for the first three years. It was really frustrating watching him play a test innings out there.

Even Anamul has a better strike over the same period of time(three years).
We didn't have other options though
When anamul came he became our opener

Old December 5, 2016, 04:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Well you have to give him a chance. His skill and temperament are more suited for 50 over cricket than 20 over anyway.
Old December 5, 2016, 04:43 AM
Cricket Legend

This guy should be an automatic choice for Tests and ODIs in the subcontinent. Cannot believe a guy of his quality is sitting out.
Old December 5, 2016, 04:47 AM
Banned

yea should play in ODIs, hes a bangladeshi Quinton De Kock
Old December 6, 2016, 08:37 PM
Cricket Legend

I think people didnt get the memo. I said Mominul wasnt proven in the 50 OVER FORMAT. By that i also mean 50 OVER in domestics. And people want to some way or somehow compare it with Imrul? Your shooting yourself in the foot. NoName its a complete myth that "Imrul was given a lot of chances til he finally clicked". Pls don't make such ridiculous remarks with no proof or stats to back your claim. Imrul was hella proven in 50 overs in domestics. He was even top runscorer in DPL a few years ago. And Imrul did very well early on in his ODI career.

You can argue he may have been slightly slow with his batting till the cows come home however back then it wasn't costly as such to score slowly rather its only now with T20 style of cricket being incorporated into ODIs nowadays you really needa up the ante early on. Also it wasn't like Bangladesh were regularly putting up scores of 260 back then either. That's why I feel Imrul has adapted fantastically to the modern day way of playing cricket in the sense that before he was slower but now he looks to hit boundaries early on.

Mominul has played 26 ODIs. So lets take Imrul's first 26 ODIs. Imrul was averaging 31.07 with his notable scores being 70 v India, 101 v NZ in NZ, 63 v England, 66 v Pak, 76 v Eng in Eng. So as you can tell he had scored decently at home and abroad hence he 100% deserved to be in the BD ODI team. Compare with Mominul in 26 matches he averages 23.60 with only 3 fifties to his name. So i have no idea how people think that Mominul's situation is even remotely comparable with Imrul's in LOI. So please don't make me laugh by commenting "Imrul had lots of chances" and "he wasn't performing" etc.

Do I think Mominul is very talented? Yes ofc i do. Would he able to play in the limited overs format for BD? Yes ofc i do. But does he deserve to be in the limited overs format at this point in time? I'll have to say no for the time being. He needs to stamp his authority in domestics and show he can score quicker. Cos right now i think Shahriar Nafees can do that role much better than Mominul can. But yes you can argue that its better to go with a youngster rather than an older player but SN is 31 and in the world of cricket 31 is not old.

The other point about Mominul is him batting in his own gear. I feel he gets too uncomfortable when he needs to bat in a certain way in a certain time i.e. when he needs to be aggressive etc. Whereas in test cricket he can just bat his own game and not worry too much about the situation. That's why i feel he excels in test cricket and he showed that by scoring big runs when the team collapsed. Whereas in ODIs when the situation requires to specifically be aggressive he will look out of sorts.

Imrul throughout domestics he has showed he can crank it up a notch and score big and fast. Mominul hasn't had many innings in domestics where he cranked it up and went bizerk. Mominul doesn't have a 6 hitting ability at all. Regardless I wont put too much emphasise on 6 hitting but at least score at a high strike rate. And i'd say thats not his best skill. So he will heavily rely on strike rotation which I feel isn't necessarily helpful in the initial powerplay overs. Unless he opens and it complements Tamim's style.

And guys please when i critique a player please don't just randomly compare it with Imrul even though he wasn't even part of the subject. Imrul has had a pretty decent ODI career. Where it went pear shaped was in the span of 11 matches between Oct 2011 to Mar 2015. In that time span he was also out of the national team for almost 2 years. He was in very poor form in that time. Out of those 11 matches his highest score was 59 and his next highest score was 11. That means he had 9 matches with a single digit score during that period. Take those 11 matches out and his average woulda been 32.41 and his average woulda been very similar with among the likes of Tamim, Riyad, Shakib and Mushfiq.

So please no random comparisons with Imrul tyvm. Side note. Mominul is one of my favourite players. In fact when he debuted I heavily campaigned around BC saying this guy is a star etc etc. I've even met him. He signed my Bangladeshi jersey.

p.s. here is Imrul's first few games for BD in ODIs

Old December 6, 2016, 11:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

^Excellent post.

Agree with most things. Except the fact Nafees isn't that old.One needs to look around see how many played well into 30s, and how many players still player past 30s. Ms Dhoni, Misbah, Are few names. Many recently retired being well over 35s. Nafees is only 31 and in the best shape of his life.Nafees more than capable batting in any gears, people forget Nafees is a big hitter; he was one when he first started someone who can hit sixes well but had a safe approach to it and not wild likes of Aftabs.
Old December 7, 2016, 10:02 AM
Cricket Legend

I guess its true that perhaps being 31 yo isnt young as such however at the same time its safe to say SN's experience will surely benefit the team immensely one way or the other. He would be a more polished batsman than Mominul at this point in time. Mominul is still unproven against world class pacers in test cricket whereas SN we know has handled the likes of Brett Lee in the past. And like you said SN has that gear to crank it up if need be. Mominul is yet to find that gear. I don't mind too much if he doesn't develop that gear but at the same time he needs to find ways to compensate such as hitting the regular boundaries and looking to play attacking strokes more often.
Old January 12, 2017, 04:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

I guess none of you appreciate this guy's effort today. Let me re-iterate,

This guy didn't play any match in the ODI or T20 series, comes back to play in a green top, alien condition and 35mph wind blowing, he scores a test fifty in the first innings he plays, stays not out till the end. He didn't play a single match in NZ and how he scored a fifty in the first innings is something only God can answer. It is almost super human effort.
Old January 12, 2017, 04:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
I guess none of you appreciate this guy's effort today. Let me re-iterate,

This guy didn't play any match in the ODI or T20 series, comes back to play in a green top, alien condition and 35mph wind blowing, he scores a test fifty in the first innings he plays, stays not out till the end. He didn't play a single match in NZ and how he scored a fifty in the first innings is something only God can answer. It is almost super human effort.
He needs to get a hundred, he's far above being happy getting 50s

Old January 12, 2017, 06:05 AM
Club Cricketer

Greatest test batsmen ever produced by BD, One of the best international players at the moment
Old January 12, 2017, 06:16 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Pls convert it into 3 figures tomorrow.

Commis were praising him highly yesterday
Old January 12, 2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadim
Pls convert it into 3 figures tomorrow.

Commis were praising him highly yesterday
A 100 won't do any good to BD

We need a 200 + as this is the new standard!
Old January 12, 2017, 06:36 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

oh well. i thought he cant handle quality pacer in tough condition unlike most of our batsman. too bad he proved me wrong today.
Old January 12, 2017, 06:43 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Hopefully he converts this, it will be his first ton outside of BD and would prove that he can play long innings in tough conditions, great start for him today.