facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 17, 2017, 09:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing
Default Is it a real wonder why Shakib is Shakib?

Is it a real wonder why Shakib has earned so much money playing for nearly 10 years? This guy works tremendously hard, for the current calendar year he is going to play:

Lets look at his crazy crazy schedule in one calendar year.

International
1) vs NZ - 2 Tests, 3 ODIS, 3 T20s. That is close to 16 days in total of game days.
2) vs INDIA - 1 Test . 5 days
3) Vs SRI LANKA - 2 Tests, 3 ODIS, 3 T20s. Close to 16 days again.
4) Vs IRE/NZ - 4 Matches. 5 if Final. Let's count it as 5.
5) Champions Trophy - 3 Group matches. Lets count 4.
6) South Africa tour - 2 Tests, 3 ODIS, 2 T20IS. Totals to about 15 days.

Domestics.

He plays CPL, IPL, BPL, PSL, at times even County and Big Bash. But let's count the ones he is regular at. Obviously also the Dhaka Premier League.

1) CPL - Counting a Maximum of 5 games
2) IPL - More taxing and gruelling fixtures. I will count 12 games.
3) BPL - He played 14 group games, 2 final games. 16 days in total
4) PSL - Counting a maximum of 6 games in PSL.
5) DPL - Guestimate of 10 match days.

This is a grand total of - International (61 game days) + Domstics (49).
Guys, that's a total of 110 days he is just on the field.

This is just crazy. I am not counting the practice matches he plays, for example they played 2 practice matches in Aus, 1 in NZ. They will play more in South Africa, and obviously internal ones as well. He might play NCL or BCL if he is in Bangladesh. The point is not that since he is a professional he needs to toughen up and just play, but the point is it is not humanly possible to play for this long, to keep the hunger and the perform year around. Just look at his crazy crazy schedule. This doesn't even take into account the time he spends travelling in between games. I have kept IPL total only to 12, but they play a hell lot more than that, so my guestimate of 110 is actually very low. Don't forget the times he spends doing ad shoots, doing post and pre game interviews, he is a spokesman for many charities, he even has a restaurant he owns.

We need to take care of our players, specially the likes who are travelling all year around, from fatigue and keep the satisfaction of playing cricket high. Take yourself in Shakib's position, yes you would be privileged and you would have a 300 crore+ in your bank account but wouldn't you think of this just as a job and something you start hating on day 110th? Maybe hate is a strong term but you would be tired as hell for sure.

Shakib himself is quoted to be saying he doesn't play for individual glory anymore, maybe it's time to rethink about how to motivate players like Shakib. I don't think you can motivate him with money, he is probably the richest out there right now, but you need to motivate him something he thinks is a reward. If individual success is not what is looking for he needs to set target of something like an ICC trophy. He needs to be rested as well, at times he is looking dejected to be on the field. I caught a few glimpses of his face when he was bowling against India and it was clear he didn't want to be there, you can't possibly want to be playing 110 days of cricket and travel another 30 to 40 days, and play cricket half of the entire year. When will he take some time off and spend time with family and re-energize?

I guess as fans we forget the other side and always want to see the team fight it out days after days, but with players like Shakib it is going to become increasingly difficult to focus days in days out. We need to have a better system around to handle players who are playing international leagues. I know they are professionals, but I can't see other professionals in any other sport playing so much and dedicating so much of their time in lives to a sport. It's time to think about their body and mind as well.

Old February 17, 2017, 10:25 PM
Cricket Legend

PL's can do more harm than benefit to international cricket. Obviously it benefits the nation where it is held, but it may not be good for others. Other than creating conflict of interest, players also end up tired, fatigued, more injury prone. Some might decide to cut short their international career to focus on the lucrative T20 leagues. Why play international cricket, when you can earn enough by just playing cricket for a month or so. Not just players, even big name coaches dont like to join international teams anymore.

I really want Shakib to be around until at least 35-36. I reckon he can end up with tremendous figures-runs, wickets. But like Tanvir mentions, the grueling schedule is taking a toll. Now in tests he appears hesitant to bowl long spells.

BCB will have to devise a strategy to look after these guys better. I can see BCB being clever with regards to IPL, they have the Ireland series, Sri Lanka series, and some other bilateral tournament. All smack in the middle of IPL. Lets hope the players dont get disgruntled for not being able to play abroad.
Old February 18, 2017, 03:45 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

He doesn't need to bowl the same spells he did when he was a one-man attack now that we have Taijul and Miraz.

Shak said not too long ago that his target is the 2023 World Cup. So 6 more years, meaning he will retire at 35 ish.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 20, 2017, 10:50 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Like most of us, he does not have a day job. 3 consecutive T20 can count as a 1-day job worth. Most PL matches are more of a picnic league for fun and do not count as your typical work day.
Old February 22, 2017, 12:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Like most of us, he does not have a day job. 3 consecutive T20 can count as a 1-day job worth. Most PL matches are more of a picnic league for fun and do not count as your typical work day.
A lot of serious preparation goes into even a T20 match. There is practice, as well as warm ups. I don't think you can call them as picnic leagues, look at David Warner's expression after he won the IPL and compare it to the World Cup win in 2015. For me it looked he was happier to win the IPL. There is a lot of stress too in the leagues, it still is a match and they are getting paid a hell lot of money. Point is, at the end, he is still on the field, off the field travelling doing other things for a LONG TIME.
Old February 22, 2017, 12:13 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

What about other international cricketers in comparison? That would be a good measure to make a proper assessment
Old September 10, 2017, 05:53 PM
Cricket Legend

I caught this long ago, I told you guys he was feeling tired! Being an allrounder and playing in all these matches and being in the field for so long takes huge toll on the body and mind.
Old September 11, 2017, 12:32 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
I caught this long ago, I told you guys he was feeling tired! Being an allrounder and playing in all these matches and being in the field for so long takes huge toll on the body and mind.
Yes true. Playing 5-6 test matches a year takes a huge toll on your body.

BCB should reduce the huge overload our players are taking. Poor souls. Its totally unfair on these guys.

Look at BCCI and India. They hardly play any cricket matches in a year with an aim to keep their players 'fresh' for the world cup.
Old September 13, 2017, 09:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Shakib s autobiography..

https://youtu.be/krbYvhk3lxI
Old September 13, 2017, 11:14 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana Melb
Shakib s autobiography..

https://youtu.be/krbYvhk3lxI
Thank you. Much appreciated. Loved every second of it.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 14, 2017, 12:23 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Does he have a book coming out anytime soon?
Old September 14, 2017, 02:00 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wang Liqin

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Which regular job actually requires sprinting 22 yards back n forth + running around the field & throwing?