facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 25, 2014, 02:17 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default Kumble: Bangladesh not repaying faith of adoring fans

Quote:
Former India captain Anil Kumble believes that Bangladesh have not done justice to the level of support they receive at home. The World Twenty20 hosts lost to two Associate nations this month, first to Afghanistan in the Asia Cup and then to Hong Kong in the first round of the World T20 last weekend. On Tuesday, they begin their Super 10s campaign with a game against defending champions West Indies.

"They've played at the highest level for a good number of years but the worrying thing for me is they have yet to arrive as a top-class international team," Kumble wrote in his Times of India column. "It is bewildering when you consider the immense passion for the game in the country. The game is played at a reasonable level throughout the country but the national team is still to repay the faith of its adoring public."

Having played nine international matches in Bangladesh between 1998 and 2007, Kumble has seen the home side's wide following first-hand. He believes that if Bangladesh were to beat West Indies, despite West Indies' own shaky form, it would be considered a shock result. "They are in their own backyard with the conditions more than suited to their players. Yet there is that unfortunate feeling one gets that should the Windies stumble, it would be seen more as an upset win for the hosts rather than a victory which shouldn't raise any eyebrows," he said.

Kumble compared the team to Sri Lanka in their early days, but said Bangladesh are still to arrive as a major force.

Recently, Bangladesh whitewashed New Zealand in a home ODI series for the second time in three years, while also beating West Indies in ODIs in 2012. They have defeated each Test-playing nation at least once in ODIs, though they haven't beaten Pakistan since 1999. In Test cricket, Bangladesh recently drew a series against New Zealand and a Test against Sri Lanka. But since that draw in Chittagong in early February, they lost two T20s and seven ODIs in a row, before beating Afghanistan and Nepal in the World T20's opening round. Then, they lost to Hong Kong.

"They [Bangladesh] have scored some good wins in the ODI version but not consistently enough to be taken seriously for a big team," Kumble said. "With a tournament of this stature having arrived at their doorstep, it's a fantastic opportunity for Bangladesh to make people look at them in a different light."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...tml?CMP=chrome
Sort of random from Kumble, eh?

Old March 25, 2014, 02:38 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Kumble haa, who could take 10 wickets in his own backyard but failed miserably overseas year after year after year after year after year....
Old March 25, 2014, 02:40 AM
Administrator

It does not matter whether he took 10 or 0 wickets. He does have a point, no?
Old March 25, 2014, 02:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

We've known this for years. By stating the obvious and yes Kumble does have a point, I don't see what he's likely to accomplish. Our players don't read, and when they do, they don't read English well enough to finish this. Even if they did, I doubt they'd have a cathartic moment and do things differently.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old March 25, 2014, 02:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Quite random

But it would have been better if he conveyed this message directly to our team.
Old March 25, 2014, 03:04 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

if the players cared they'd have done something about it by now, all we can do is wait until there are some talented players who care enough to put in the work, on the plus attitudes are getting better but still there is much work to do in this aspect.
Old March 25, 2014, 03:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib

Bangladesh has become stronger than before. Yes, They are not up to the levels of some top teams but they are going up to the ladder. Where as some teams are going down to the ladder. After 100 years of cricket history they are just simply pathetic in the foreign soil.
Old March 25, 2014, 03:57 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: will let you know after

I think its wrong to read into the HK defeat too much. Yes, recent months result has not gone BD's way, but they are much dangerious LOI side these days than they ever were before. Still not top top team like in the top 5ranked, but do pose a threat to others. Yes these loss against associates are unacceptable, but it doesnt hide the fact BD been hammering good NZ sides recently, and beat windies (who were in great high after winning 2012 WorldT20 just before) quite comprehensively last time (check the wins, see yourself). at home BD cant be understimated, there is no shock at home if BD beats "G8" team maybe abroad, not home.
Old March 25, 2014, 04:21 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
It does not matter whether he took 10 or 0 wickets. He does have a point, no?
Exactly. He does have a valid point
Old March 25, 2014, 04:32 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Kumble banged the nail with his article. No hiding from the facts.

Our players dont have the passion these days when they put on the jersey.

However I dont agree when he says when BD beat W Indies it will be an upset.
Old March 25, 2014, 04:32 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Can't disagree with anything Kumble said. He was a champion cricketer and had a tremendous devotion to the team. I still remember him bowling with a broken jaw in a Test match. His assessment about our situation is quite fair. We need performances to back up all the big talk that we engage in. Lets beat West Indies and another team in this T-20 and then we would earn the right to defend ourselves from critics once again. As it stands we lost to two associate nations in a matter of weeks. Completely unacceptable
Old March 25, 2014, 04:51 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Can't disagree with anything Kumble said. He was a champion cricketer and had a tremendous devotion to the team. I still remember him bowling with a broken jaw in a Test match. His assessment about our situation is quite fair. We need performances to back up all the big talk that we engage in. Lets beat West Indies and another team in this T-20 and then we would earn the right to defend ourselves from critics
Well said! He does have a valid point! No need to malign his overseas record simply because he has an opinion you don't share!

Old March 25, 2014, 04:58 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: will let you know after

He has a point in the sense that the team has let the nation down, and havent arrived to the international class (test playing class;like a good team home and away) yet, despite playing for more than 15years. But, i dont agree with him, winning at home isnt a "shock" win.
Old March 25, 2014, 04:59 AM
Cricket Legend

I guess no nobody is wrong if our team going to lose like this to other Associate nations anybody can make a point.
Old March 25, 2014, 05:13 AM
Cricket Legend

here are some wonderful comments:

Wise thought by Kumble. We should work to go a level. We have players to go top level but we don't have people who can manage the team well and nurture those talented players. Our boards and selection committee are sometimes horrible.
Posted by Care Less on (March 25, 2014, 9:44 GMT)
we saw Indian team in last England tour repaying 100% faith of their fans
Posted by abcdef_12345 on (March 25, 2014, 9:42 GMT)
Reza, Mahmudullah and Nasir are there in playing 11, what more we can expect apart from some ducks, slog sweep and run outs, oh yes, Abdur Razzak is also there for the opponent to score some quick runs and break free.We are preserving Mominul, Shamshur, Zia and Sunny for World Cup 2050.
Posted by Oshen Jayasuriya on (March 25, 2014, 9:27 GMT)
well said @Anan3t
Posted by Monjur_Elahi on (March 25, 2014, 9:24 GMT)
How about ZIM then which is declining alarmingly? And how about England which is living on oxygen now? Bangaldesh is just going through a rough patch and soon these so called critics will hide in their shell. The fans are forever beside their team and that's why we are passionate Bangladeshi fan!
Posted by wonderstar1 on (March 25, 2014, 9:23 GMT)
@Md Iqbal Eusuf going up to the ladder. you mean like loosing to Hong Kong? haha. We won Champions trophy as recently as last year in England even when we are going down the ladder(as you say) right. so you see even in our worst phase we have managed something. guess what your team did in CT last year? Oh now i remember now they dint even qualify for the CT. right.
Posted by P.BIPULKUMAR on (March 25, 2014, 8:59 GMT)
BD`s main problem is their bad team selection policy
Posted by Des_65 on (March 25, 2014, 8:51 GMT)
I hope Kumble's comments don't spur BD to the point where they defeat India in super 10's. I just hope they don't.
Posted by Proud Punjabi on (March 25, 2014, 8:36 GMT)
Dear Kumble, you are very much correct in your article. After reading some of the comments by BD fans, I reckon commenting on such a pathetic team like would belittle your expertise and wisdom. In my opinion BD team should be a topic for such any cricketing professional or a true cricket lover. BD team is itself a shame for world cricket. Keep rocking Kumble sir, we still need your services for our beloved Indian team as a bowling coach.
Posted by Warm_Coffee on (March 25, 2014, 8:34 GMT)
Rahim captaincy is so poor. He needs to resign as captain and instead we need an attacking captain otherwise Bangladesh would've won 40% of their games against the better teams this year.
Old March 25, 2014, 05:59 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Goboy, #1-Allrounder

Like Sohel has mentioned, he is just stating the obvious. Nothing groundbreaking at all.

A batsmen hits a boundary, and I tell, hey thats a 4! I do have a point. And yet whats the point of it? Just because a legend says it, it makes front page news.
Old March 25, 2014, 08:09 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: amla,tendulkar

kumble just stating facts there..
Old March 25, 2014, 08:27 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Anyone remember what happened to India last time when Kumble opened his mouth against Bangladesh?
Old March 25, 2014, 12:39 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib

Reading some of the comments I feel sad. I mean all of us no that Kumble was a limited bowler he was never a Warne or a Murali. But he still took 600+ test wickets (and that is a lot.) I respect him because he exemplifies what hardwork can do for you even if your talents are lmited.

And someone with such pedigree should just be respected. Just like when our fathers and uncles tell us something and we listen, we should listen to such people too.
Old March 25, 2014, 12:40 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
Anyone remember what happened to India last time when Kumble opened his mouth against Bangladesh?
point me one thing he has said against Bangladesh in this article
Old March 25, 2014, 12:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib/Anamul

I dont see anything wrong he said in here, some of you guys just dont like any criticism from anyone. At the end of the day you cant be saying that what he said isnt true because its more than true. We watch them play day in day out whether its early in the morning or late at night and for them to play like the way they have been in recent times is totally unfair. So I say good on Kumble for saying this!
Old March 25, 2014, 12:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Morgan and Big Z

Kumble is just stating the obvious. I believe he should be our new Coach.
For batting let's hire Ganguly as our our coach and for bowling Saqlain Mustaq and Fannie Devilliers. Head Coach Dav Whatmore. Instead of spending money on building stadiums in Gopalgonj, Syhlet and Cox'z Bazar, let's get the basics right.
Old March 25, 2014, 12:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Insecure people taking a dig at Kumble and India for saying it as it is.
Old March 25, 2014, 12:54 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

He makes valid points. Beside India, no other country can fill the stands like us. For 10+ years, we have been supporting the team like maniacs. The country stands still when these losers play. We make cricketers the biggest celebrity in the country. Poor slum kid, who sells flowers for living, gives one to Shakib for free and in return asks him to hit 6 for us. In return we have not received much.

So yes, the cricket team has not repaid the love/affection/sacrifice of its millions of fans.
Old March 25, 2014, 01:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
Insecure people taking a dig at Kumble and India for saying it as it is.
This

This was a random comment but I don't see any reason for people in CI to make cheapshots. I think its true that we have not made much progress since 99. Can't believe that we are hosts and every other team in the group thinks of Bangladesh as an easy target and takes the field with the head-ache of NRR. That too in our own backyard