facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 28, 2011, 02:16 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom
Default Ross Turners Centre of excellence by Isam and Bishwajit Roy

The vision of creating a "learning centre" that will work as a full reservoir for primed cricketers is what Ross Turner has visualised for the GP-BCB National Cricket Academy.

After joining as the head coach back in May, Turner has been given 24 players who are projected as hugely talented and potentially of Bangladesh A or national standards.

"Ultimately, the goal for me with these players would be to see them as leaders with the bat and ball in different high-level competitions and see how their physical performance and skill levels develop after they get out," said Turner during a recess yesterday.

During the long conversation, he outlined his views on the make-up and impact of the Academy. It is projected as a centre of learning the game so that the cricketers can be prepared properly for major challenges like international cricket after a few years of experience in the first-class structure.

But it is evident that there is a huge gap between learning (Academy) and giving the ultimate test (national team). The players will not face the level of competition that they are equipped to face and as it happens, they slack off and go back to square one when they are included in the national setup.

But programmes such as the Academy are primarily important so that they don't have to be taught how to bowl, bat, field and behave when they are an international player. It has happened as recently as Jamie Siddons's final months as coach of the Tigers. It is highly necessary to have players who only need to adapt to life in international cricket and not the skills.

Turner wants the trainees to turn out as complete cricketers who are capable in all three formats (Tests, ODIs and Twenty20s) and who realises that there is more to cricket than just aggressive batting and bowling left-arm spin.

"There are a number of things that need to change among these players. Here the cricket is built around instinctive play -- aggressive batting. I want to teach them the different, productive ways of playing.

"A batsman can move his feet to the spinners and pace bowlers. He needs to know where to stand to certain types of bowlers. It is not just a new style of play but also their thinking.

"Even for left-arm spinners, they need to cut their fingers over the top of the ball which will help in surfaces that offer bounce and not just undercut them like they do here," he explained.

The training has gone through the phase that dealt with physical fitness and classes on developing a positive mindset, envisioning outcomes and learning techniques for building resilience as well as leadership, accountability and trust.

After the month-long programme ended on June 23, the boys got a four-day break and from today, the skill development phase begins with Alan Campbell coming in for a month to share his expertise with the batsmen and wicketkeeper. Though Geoff Lawson was announced as the other visiting coach, he will probably arrive a bit later as his stint is not finalised yet.

Turner has said that he would like to see more short-term coaches to not just facilitate cricketers but also the local coaches who can pick ideas and teaching techniques from the foreign coaches, a fine way to make the country's cricket self-sufficient.

"The overseas coaches are of the highest quality and who have dealt with international players. They will demonstrate a very clear understanding of the game and pinpoint the key elements," he said.

"Also, the Bangladeshi coaches can learn from them and reinforce those methods," added Turner who has undertaken several coaching and umpiring coaches over the years in the country.

Turner ultimately wants to leave behind a successful legacy which not only bring out highly-skilled cricketers but also have satellite academies across the country which can feed to the centre.

"It will be a network all over the country. The satellite centres will have a similar template as this one so that they come prepared from Rajshahi, Khulna, Barisal and Sylhet," he said.

When asked to find similarities between young Bangladeshi cricketers and those from other countries, Turner's opinion was a clear reflection of how cricket is run in this country.

He said that at the Under-19 level, the players are very similar with very few divergences but it all changes after a few years.

"You have to see the difference between (ages) 19 and 23. The rich cricketing culture in Australia, England and South Africa and the high-quality competition ensures they develop and that is where the difference comes out," said Turner.

This Academy concept will definitely help Bangladesh cricket for years to come but the need for a proper first-class structure is highly significant but the dry pipeline that everyone is talking about is slowly filling up.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=191963

Old June 28, 2011, 03:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

How do we manage good coaches for our national academies(e.g. McInnse, Williams) when our national team's coaches are frustrating?
I hope Turner will do well with our youngies and turned them into the likes of Shakib and Tamim.
Old June 28, 2011, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Finally someone gives a crap about T20s.
Old June 28, 2011, 05:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

More to cricket than bowling left are spin...
That is the quote of the day.
Old June 28, 2011, 05:56 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

He is the best man for this role. Hope he will be allowed to work freely to achieve his vision. His appointment is one of the best things happened to our cricket. Now how can we utilize his effort is totally up to us. We (BCB) need to make sure we get as much as from Ross and help him to revamp our domestic system.
Old June 28, 2011, 05:58 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
"You have to see the difference between (ages) 19 and 23. The rich cricketing culture in Australia, England and South Africa and the high-quality competition ensures they develop and that is where the difference comes out," said Turner.

This Academy concept will definitely help Bangladesh cricket for years to come but the need for a proper first-class structure is highly significant but the dry pipeline that everyone is talking about is slowly filling up.
We at BC have been asking for it for a long time
Old June 28, 2011, 10:14 PM
Cricket Legend

A lot of us slammed BCB when he was appointed. But i am sure he ll do a superb job organizing our cricketing base.
Old June 29, 2011, 04:35 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
A lot of us slammed BCB when he was appointed. But i am sure he ll do a superb job organizing our cricketing base.
Nobody slammed BCB for hiring Ross Turner.

On the topic, excellent news !!
Turn it around for us Turner.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 29, 2011, 05:35 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Not really check this thread when he joined.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ht=ross+turner
Old June 29, 2011, 06:04 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Turner has said that he would like to see more short-term coaches to not just facilitate cricketers but also the local coaches who can pick ideas and teaching techniques from the foreign coaches, a fine way to make the country's cricket self-sufficient.
Local coaches will never be able to implement their learning properly by working only with the national team or academy team. Because they will not be given proper opportunity as it's too risky. We need regional cricket bodies and full time local coaches for regional teams. That's how cricketing culture can grow in our country.

Unfortunately Lota will not fulfill his promise regarding this issue.
Old June 29, 2011, 06:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

Quote:
Huh? I thought everyone loved the idea, and it was a step towards a better future.
Old June 29, 2011, 08:39 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
He is the best man for this role. Hope he will be allowed to work freely to achieve his vision. His appointment is one of the best things happened to our cricket. Now how can we utilize his effort is totally up to us. We (BCB) need to make sure we get as much as from Ross and help him to revamp our domestic system.
now thats the big qus..will he..
Old June 29, 2011, 09:13 AM
Banned

What I am loving about Ross Turner's appointment is that he has been used to train local coaches which never happened with the previous accademy coaches.
Old June 29, 2011, 09:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

i like the way this coach has always been upto something or the other, which is very good, ever since he has arrived
Old June 29, 2011, 10:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib, Mashrafi, Mushfiq

Satelite academy is a good idea. If BCB can implement the idea we can search our players from root level where lot of our boys cann't come in lime light.
Old June 29, 2011, 12:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Slowly Loita and Co. is making some good decisions.

Now go and please fix the standard of domestic competetions.
Old June 29, 2011, 02:28 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Slowly Loita and Co. is making some good decisions.
ঝরেও বগা মরে
Old June 29, 2011, 02:55 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

This is the way forward. It will be very hard to get good coaches to come over on a long-term basis so the next best option is to get them on a short-term basis one at a time and let them conduct intense coaching programmes. We have a good man in Ross Turner to oversee all this.
Old June 29, 2011, 10:22 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

দেশ তাহলে এগিয়ে যাচ্ছে ???? কি বলেন ???
Old June 30, 2011, 04:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by offstump
দেশ তাহলে এগিয়ে যাচ্ছে ???? কি বলেন ???
একাডেমিতে গাজী ট্যাংক লাগানো হয়েছে নাকি আপনার বাসায় ?
Old June 30, 2011, 07:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir/Taskin/Anamul/Sohag

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
i like the way this coach has always been upto something or the other, which is very good, ever since he has arrived
Quote:
Originally Posted by deshimon
Satelite academy is a good idea. If BCB can implement the idea we can search our players from root level where lot of our boys cann't come in lime light.
wonder whether he had something to do with the arrival of coaches like campbel, lawson..

he surely sounds highly pro-active!

'satellite academy', if used properly, can change the face of our cricket
Old June 30, 2011, 07:08 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstlane
একাডেমিতে গাজী ট্যাংক লাগানো হয়েছে নাকি আপনার বাসায় ?

একাডেমি আর উনার বাসা কিন্তু ভাই খুবই কাছাকাছি ।
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 30, 2011, 09:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim

such a good appointment this was!
It is good to let Shakib off captaincy, it will relieve some pressure. He will be offered captaincy again in a few years when he will be more than ready, Bangladesh will voyage into a new horizon then