facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Support

Support Help & Support

Old May 24, 2007, 06:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger
Default Enlarging image without quality loss

I'm trying to do a minor enlargement on an image, but I'm experiencing a bit of quality loss in that. I tried Photoshop and IrfanView, but they both had a quality loss, and I can't afford any loss of quality for the image.

Just searched Google, and here are a few tools I found about. I need a FREE one.
- PhotoZoom
- STOIK Smart Resizer
- Focus Magic
and a few more

The enlargement isn't even too big...just making something 120% of its original size. My assumption is that the original picture (given to me for this work I'm doing) has been enlarged quite a bit...which is why I'm experiencing quality loss on any enlargement.

Any suggestions there, anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Old May 24, 2007, 06:39 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Fractal manipulation will give you the best quality, but there are not too many apps out there with fractal interpolation.

Try this: Fractal

I remember long time ago there was a fractal plugin for Netscape that could zoom images many times without loosing much quality.

More image apps
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old May 25, 2007, 12:51 AM
Cricket Guru

Thanks Nasif bhai. Lemme see if I can get that to work.
Old May 25, 2007, 10:02 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Try this link (last one was wrong). They have trial version download of Genuine Fractals
http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2

Click on the pics and see the detail levels.

800x zoom Original pic

Genuine Fractals 800x zoom
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old May 25, 2007, 10:12 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

I must say that is good quality. Mmbaaa!
Old May 31, 2007, 03:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
Try this link (last one was wrong). They have trial version download of Genuine Fractals
http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2

Click on the pics and see the detail levels.

800x zoom Original pic

Genuine Fractals 800x zoom
Cant believe that,even with photoshop,It'd take you more than 15 minutes to do that.
Old August 4, 2007, 07:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

i don't know if you are still looking to enlarge images. the term is called upscaling. you can do it in photoshop but most semi-pro photographers tend to use fractals. the stock agencies want 50mb files as a minimum, the magazines sometimes demand 100mb. so a lot of pro photog's tend to take their pictures at around 10, 12 or 15mb and then use upscaling. if you still need more information please send me a private message.
Old August 4, 2007, 03:06 PM
Cricket Guru

I'm through with that work, so I don't need that at the moment. But if you feel it's appropriate, you can post it here too, so that other forum members can see it too

If you don't think it can be or should be posted in the forum, no worries. But thanks for the offer
Old August 4, 2007, 04:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
i don't know if you are still looking to enlarge images. the term is called upscaling. you can do it in photoshop but most semi-pro photographers tend to use fractals. the stock agencies want 50mb files as a minimum, the magazines sometimes demand 100mb. so a lot of pro photog's tend to take their pictures at around 10, 12 or 15mb and then use upscaling. if you still need more information please send me a private message.
This is good stuff. Please share the information in public.
Old August 9, 2007, 12:33 PM
Cricket Legend

1_as soon as you open your file in CS (photoshop), sharpen it ligthly with smart sharpen to remove the slight blur that raw have. dont over do it.

2_do your darkroom as usual

3_save your original well retouched. flatten a duplicate version (to save time, and easier for the processor) and save as with another name.

4_image size, bicubic smoother (you can go up until 200% in one shot without any problem. if you go at 400% start checking for moire or artifact. If you want to go at 800%, go with a 400%, save it and go back for another 200%, sound crazy but you will get better result.

5_when finish, add some sharpen (again i use smart sharpen, but use the method you like and feel comfortable) maybe some noise, on another layer fill with gray, overlay, 80% opacity. as for the noise, monochromatic, gaussian use the number that give you some light noise at 100% view.

6_Enjoy your new big poster size file interpolated with a expensive software...but without any external expensive plugin that will give you the same result; in 20x time the time it took you with CS alone.
Old August 9, 2007, 09:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

Wow I never knew you can do that with photoshop and etc as I only used those for adding graphics and etc to my projects in school but I am pretty sure this will help me this year in my computer class as we are supposed to have projects surrounding these stuff so I might need help from you guys when I get these projects. Anyways thanks a lot Puck bhaiya for this!!
Old August 10, 2007, 06:36 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Quote:
2_do your darkroom as usual
How do I do that?
Old August 10, 2007, 09:53 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Interesting 1-to-6 tips Puck. I often need to enlarge images to very high resolutions for my work. Will try your tricks next time and see how it turns out.

Same question from me: What you mean by 'do your darkroom' ?
Old August 12, 2007, 06:11 AM
Street Cricketer

Default Free online image enlarging - reshade.com

Hey,

Reshade.com offers free image upscaling without creating fuzzy edges. This is the main purpose but, it also reduces noise and jpeg artifacts in the resized image. It works very nice even for small enlargements like below 200% that many people need. It also works great well above this limit (500%).

Regards,
subpic
Old August 18, 2007, 12:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood
How do I do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_B
Interesting 1-to-6 tips Puck. I often need to enlarge images to very high resolutions for my work. Will try your tricks next time and see how it turns out.

Same question from me: What you mean by 'do your darkroom' ?
i am sorry, i thought i was posting this in a photographic forum! forget about the darkroom, that is a reference to the digital darkroom processing that photographers use to 'postprocess' RAW files to tiff, png or jpeg versions, or for printing on other formats. the darkroom in that sense refers to changing the white balance, contrast, colour curves, sharpness etc.

if you are taking pictures on jpeg, forget about darkroom as the benefits are lot less reqarding.
Old August 18, 2007, 01:13 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Well... if you know details on post-processing TIFF's for press prints... pls do post it here. And what do you mean by RAW files?
Old August 26, 2007, 02:46 PM
Cricket Legend

for details of photographic terms please see my thread on digital photography - http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=23128

RAW is an image format used by dslr as well as bridge digital cameras that provide full manual controls. please note that canon bridge cameras like the s or a series don't have RAW anymore.

pictures taken in raw format contain as much data as the ccd or cmos photosensor can pack in. these RAW enabled cameras usually come with a manufacturers raw converter that you can use later to adjust white balance, sharpness, contrast, curves and a variety of other functions. i'd really suggest reading my link above as i wrote a guide to digital photography in simple terms.

if you really want to manipulate tiff you shoould think about buying adobe photoshop or photoshop elements. gimp is a free version offered for linux.
Old August 26, 2007, 02:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_B
Well... if you know details on post-processing TIFF's for press prints... pls do post it here. And what do you mean by RAW files?

would you clarify press print please. are you talking about stock for photo agencies or simply trying to send pictures taken ona digital compact to some online newspaper?