facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 18, 2009, 03:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib
Thumbs up So how did they do (BD in ZIM Aug 09)

No grades, just observations:

Tamim Iqbal : Great series and deserving man of the series. Three solid innings (one being a record breaker for Bangladesh) and two duds. I think he works better as the anchoring opener who builds the innings instead of the slogging opener.

Junaid Siddique: Three starts but no follow through. Gave BD a start and Tamim was the beneficiary each time. Don’t agree with the 3rd ODI drop and him not batting even in the top 7 in game 4.

Mohammad Ashraful: Eid and then disappear. A well played century (as always with minimal pressure : good opening stand, small total to chase) and then THUD. 45 in the four innings post century. Started as the highest scorer to be surpassed by Tamim, Rokibul, Mushfiq & Shakib (with the latter two having played one less innings).

Rokibul Hassan: Solid batting, good starts and one conversion to half century. Gave BD hope in the 3rd ODI on what would have been a first 300+ total chase. Looked good at the number 4 after struggling in the WI series. Almost pushed up his average to 30. Only Shakib, SN and **ahem** Mahbubul Alam have better.

Shakib: He really is the accelerator in the team. Not a capable patient innings builder but that shouldn’t be his role in the team. Captaincy was solid with a couple of blips in game 3 and 4 but delivered almost always when needed. Didn’t pick up much wickets but then again he’s not the strike bowler in ODIs. His role is to keep the pressure with low economy. Not bad on a pitch that didn’t offer much to the bowlers. Had it not been for the run out in ODI 2, that century may have been a big one.

Mushfiqur Rahim: All solid innings (23*, 33, 15, 98) and timely. Deserved the century in the last match. Still shakey with the gloves. Should really cement himself as a batsman and let more apt keepers stand behind the wicket.

Mahmadullah Riyad : Played the closer role well in the final two ODIs. Didn’t bowl much.

Naeem Islam : Seemed lost. But probably because his role was not defined. Got to open in the 3rd ODI and was rarely used for bowling. Can’t really judge as he didn’t get a real opportunity to bat in normal circumstances and didn’t bowl as much either.

Enamul Haque Jr.: Got to bowl almost all of his overs the first four matches but wasn’t anything to write home about. Just there, nothing positive, nothing negative.

Nazmul Hossain: Picked up 5 wickets in the first 2 ODIs before injury. Bowled well.

Syed Russel: Bowled economically and opened the bowling well. Not bad in a pitch that offered not much to the bowlers.

Mehrab Hossain Jr.: Not sure why got his quota of 10 in the 3rd ODI. Was used late in the order in 3rd ODI and didn’t need to bat in 5th. Picked up 1 wicket in the final ODI but nothing of significance.

Mahbubul Alam: Expensive but picked up 4 wickets in 2 games and scored a quickfire 59. A duck by Tamim in the final ODI and he would have had the highest batting average this series.

Dollar Mahmud: Good thing he wasn’t kept too far away from the national team. Made most of his call up due to injuries to 4 pacers before him (Mash, Rubel, Nazmul, Alam). Man of the match with 4 wickets in a batting friendly pitch. Should be a confidence booster.

Batting in general : Solid. With the exception of game 3, planning was right. 3 (almost 4) centuries and 5 half centuries

Bowling in general: The pace needs to improve so its justifiable to play 3 of them. If the top 6 click in batting, loading up on batting spinners will not be needed. Can’t fault the bowlers too much in this tour.

Captaincy: Imaginative and innovative. Not always good but got the results and better than anything BD has ever produced. Led from the front and has been a breath of fresh air for Bangladesh cricket.

Team: The team seems to be enjoying playing with each other. A different MOM in every win. Nuff said.

Last edited by Raynman; August 18, 2009 at 04:07 PM..

Old August 18, 2009, 03:37 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Player

MatInnsNORunsHSAveBFSR1005004s6s
Tamim Iqbal5530015460.0033589.55121197
Raqibul Hasan5511837845.7523976.561142
Shakib Al Hasan5417010442.50131129.771146
Mushfiqur Rahim5411699856.3319387.561151
Mohammad Ashraful551148103*37.0018679.561142
Junaid Siddique43863828.6680107.5013
Mahmudullah5426827*34.007590.6661
Mahbubul Alam21595959.0043137.20123
Mehrab Hossain jnr21252525.004062.501
Naeem Islam542124*6.001580.0012
Enamul Haque jnr42854.001266.66
Nazmul Hossain21111*-1100.00
Syed Rasel51111*-250.00

I think this table is appropriate here. I will post the bowlers stats shortly.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; August 18, 2009 at 04:15 PM..
Old August 18, 2009, 03:57 PM
Cricket Savant

Player

MatOversMdnsRunsWktsBBIAveEconSR4
Syed Rasel (Ban)544.52241745/234.425.3738.4
Shakib Al Hasan (Ban)5464238639/239.665.1746
Nazmul Hossain (Ban)214.578529/315.65.2517.8
Dolar Mahmud (Ban)18128428/473.5121
Mahbubul Alam (Ban)2171147463/236.758.6425.5
Mahmudullah (Ban)5321166439/241.55.1848
Enamul Haque jnr (Ban)439191451/247.754.8958.5
Mohammad Ashraful (Ban)5511322/16.52.615
Naeem Islam (Ban)51794225/1475.5251
Mehrab Hossain jnr (Ban)21799143/1995.82102

Interesting part was both Nazmul and Robin had a better SR than the spinners. Althought they bowled less than half of the regular spinners on a pitch where spinners were assisted more.

And like to add that Shakib took the ball in his hands when the pressure became unbearable or Powerplay was on. Leading from the front.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; August 18, 2009 at 04:02 PM..
Old August 18, 2009, 04:12 PM
Cricket Legend

thanks for the stats. Hoping to keep this thread subjective and not a Worship or Bashing thread.

Note: My comments on Ash are not meant to be insulting just stating the obvious as it is of importance when analyzing hte performances
Old August 18, 2009, 04:14 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

great stuff tigers eye. You are our BC accountant.
Old August 18, 2009, 04:28 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseshah
great stuff tigers eye. You are our BC accountant.
HHS. Accountant without a CPA.

I thought the analysis was front page worthy. Right on the money.
Old August 18, 2009, 04:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Good thread. Tamim did great with an avg of 60. Nothing too special from the bowlers though.
Old August 18, 2009, 05:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Good thread

Ashraful: Once again, he showed in the WI-Zim tour that he works hard for runs only when he is under pressure to retain his place in the team. Once that pressure is gone, he goes back to his old self. It's very tiring to watch him go through the same cycle over and again. It's time management try out someone else in the #3 slot. May be Naeem or Imrul?
Old August 18, 2009, 08:09 PM
Cricket Sage

My observation....

1. Tamim is maturing to my surprise. Playing according to Siddon's guidance.

2. Even though Junaid was dropped in 3rd and ignored at 5th ODI, I have to say, I am more hopeful about Junaid than before. But to solidify his position he need few bigger scores that Siddon is looking from his openers.

3. Less I say about Ashraful, the better it is as it not a bashing thread. One century followed by 4 single digit is not what I am looking from my #3. Plus a overll SR of 79 is not what I am looking for from my top five slots. As a bowler, I would like to see a little bit more of Ashraful and what he can bring as a part time bowler.

4. Unlike others, I see some future in Rakibul, even though a SR of 76 is not going to cut it in long run. However I see some promise and once he solidifies his position, I hope he will seriously look at his slow SR and address this issue. He (along with Rahim) brings a strength in this team and that is stabilizing a batting collapse .

5. Shakib kind of disappointed me with his batting and his maturity as a batsman. He is playing with confidence, but sometimes he looks like trigger happy too soon too often. may be I have too high expectation from him. As a bowler is his indeed maturing beyond my expectation.

6. Ryiad is a indeed a surprise the way he is developing as a bowler as well as a batsman. Now we can really depend on him that he will bowl 10 overs with good economy rate and batting wise finish the innings with confidence and purpose.

7. Rahim is improving a bit with his wicketkeeping (one of my concern). He is batting with more confidence. May be its time to promote him further up in the batting order. #7 is too low for him, specially the way he is batting right now.

8. I had really high hope for Naeem. But I was kind of disappointed, mainly with captain/coach for not handling this young inexperienced player the way they are supposed to do ..AND ... with Naeem for not utilizing the opportunity that he is getting. I was hoping he would bowl better with experience. I haven't seen any progress yet, may be its too early to expect progress. With batting, he kind of failed to grab the opportunity. For suddenly letting him play from #8 to #2 is mind boggling.... specially when he is not your typical opener and he is too young to experiment like that.... I am afraid this is how we spoil young talent ... set up some target which he is not experienced enough ... and then when he fails... we will use that to dump him forever. But at the end its upto Naeem to grab the opportunity and show the world what he is capable to do.

9. Dollar surprised me in a positive way. The way some fans were trashing him for seleting him as a substitute, I thought he is indeed a damaged good. But boy, he proved all of them wrong and proved bagh Mama is no Brial Mama, he knows something that some of us don't know.

10. Nazmul surprised me kind of similar way Dollar did, but not as much. Again bagh Mama was on the right side by selecting him

11. I am not a Rasel fan, even though I understand why we need a bowler like Rasel. Nothing earth shattering but, to my surprise he got the most wicket.

12. Unlike others, I see future in Robin in ODI. He need to address his econmy rate though. But his dashing batting can fill up our much needed power in lower order batting lineup.

13. Enamul changed my mind. I think he can be our regular ODi player. however I was hoping his bowling would be much more penetrating. However when Razzak comes back, it would be hard for him to keep his slot.

14. I see Mehrab as a Batting allrounder, not the other way around. However his SR is too slow for my taste. when he settled down, I hope he will address this issue. otherwise it will be hard to justify his inclusion. His bowling is nothing special, and I donl't see how he can make a case as a bolwer in the team considering we already have Shakib, Ryiad, Naeem, and Enamul/Razzak in the team.

Last edited by Fazal; August 18, 2009 at 08:34 PM..
Old August 18, 2009, 08:18 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Not bad...pretty good! Enjoyed it very much! Much appreciate it!
Old August 18, 2009, 08:24 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Batting: ok but more improvement necessary.

Fielding: Very poor ground fielding in Zimbabwe, needs to improve.

Bowling: Must have 2-3 backup bowlers ready when going on a long tour.
Old August 18, 2009, 08:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahela Jayawardene

Just scared that the results are not disappointing when we play a top 7 team (taking the current WI team out). Till then we shud not be quick to judge!!
Old August 18, 2009, 09:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Good performance. There were some immaturity on overall game of Bangladesh team. But, I think it is just matter of time to improve it. I was expecting 5-0 but it didn't happen. Thats not a problem because just in the very next match after losing, Bangladesh proved that they have learn to learn from mistakes. Previously, it was absent from our cricket.

Some of our players need special caring. I dont know our think tanks (Coach, Managers, Selectors and Captain) planning. They may have proper replacement. But Bangladesh is on the right track. If they even lose in next series, I will request to have patience. Lots of "Songbordhona" are coming for our players. From our history we know our players do not have that psychological strength to keep foot on the ground (Without Shakib I must say). I hope they can do it this time.

Hope for the Best.

Old August 18, 2009, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Where are the grades?
Old August 19, 2009, 02:03 PM
Cricket Legend

would that be the US standard, BD standard or the British standard grades
Old August 19, 2009, 02:24 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Was doing some work on fielding.......

BD dropped 17 catches and missed 4 runout chanches in only 5 match

Thanks allah it wasn't against any big team otherwise they would have take the Sittttt of us.
Old August 19, 2009, 03:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
Was doing some work on fielding.......

BD dropped 17 catches and missed 4 runout chanches in only 5 match

Thanks allah it wasn't against any big team otherwise they would have take the Sittttt of us.
That is a concerning statistic. Lets gauge that in october (same length, same opponent) to see if we've learned from that.

Thats over 3 lives an innings. Why somebody could score a world record innings with that kind of generosity