facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old July 2, 2004, 09:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara
Default woman sports in BD vs radical islamic force

First national woman wrestling competition is threatened by radical islamic forces in Bangladesh. Worth to mention that the woman footbal in BD organized by BFF was also threatened by the same reactionary fundamentalist forces.

Source

"...Let Allah put a black blindfold on their impure sight"

Old July 2, 2004, 11:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

I have read about it. These backward non-progressive people, hiding under the religious banner, are a cancer to the society. They have no other agenda but to incite hate and division. Their talibanic agenda is out in the open these days with the ruling parties tacit support. How else can these people organize and vocalize their demands right under the steps of the national mosque is beyond comprehension, and quite clearly they know that the Govt. won't utter a single word if they carry on.
Old July 2, 2004, 11:56 AM
Cricket Legend

I don't consider women's wrestling to be "progressive", it's more like "barbaric". But hey, if they are REALLy good looking, not like those freaks at WWE, I am all for a few beautiful bodied women doing jhaptajhapti in scanty clothes. All the women in the world can see lengta male wrestlers doing gay a$$ **** with each other. I want my equal opportunity right.
Old July 2, 2004, 12:08 PM
Cricket Legend

What wrestling we are talking about? The fake one (WWE) or Grecco Roman Wrestling.
Old July 2, 2004, 12:11 PM
Cricket Legend

They're all the same to me.
Old July 2, 2004, 12:19 PM
Cricket Legend

I see all WWE wrestlers on drugs.

Grecco Roman Wrestlers are all about solid power. I am definitely sure they are not on steroid . If they are there is no place for them in the Olympic.
Old July 2, 2004, 12:26 PM
First Class Cricketer

do they (BD WOMEN WRESTLERS) hav enough muscles n power to play wrestling..... i thnk they can do chula-chuli fight only.......:P
Old July 2, 2004, 01:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

The wrestling in question here is a olympic sport and the person(s) who can't differentiate that fact from other cheap entartaintment version of women's wrestlings, has obvious shortcomings of his own. Wrestling is not the point here. Its womens sport in general. From time and time again, any sort of attempt to popularize sports among women have drawn the wrath of these zealots. They were against womens football, against wrestling now..whats next education??or women in workplace??
Old July 3, 2004, 09:23 AM

I have a bad feeling that our society is moving towards Afgan or Pak or Algeria
If we take a look at newspaper we will find so many MAULOBI or MADRASA related
news everyday and it's becoming more and more. Not unexpected if they stand
against wresling or footbal.
Old July 3, 2004, 05:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Eves\' wrestling to go on

Despite threats from Islamic fundamentalists the first ever National Women's Wrestling Competition will be held today.
But the day-long meet, originally scheduled at National Sports Council (NSC) gymnasium, has been shifted to the Dhanmondi Women Sports Complex.

General secretary of the Bangladesh Amateur Wrestling Federation (BAWF) Tabiur Rahman said yesterday that they have got assurance from the law enforcing authority to stage the event.

Taibur also refuted the allegation that the sport was a violation Islamic values.

Radical Islamic Constitution Movement in a meeting on Friday demanded a ban on the women's wrestling in the country and warned the government to bear the responsibilities for serious consequences.

"There is a misunderstanding. They might have thought that it would be a tournament like WWF, but we can assure them there will be nothing like that because we are fully aware of our religious sentiments," said Tabiur.

Nearly a hundred wrestlers from 11 districts are going to take part in nine weight categories.

Daily Star
Old July 4, 2004, 11:39 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Women\'s wrestling called off

Bangladesh's first women's wrestling competition has been cancelled at the last minute because of opposition from a number of Islamic groups.
Protesters had threatened to storm the competition venue to stop the event, describing wrestling as "indecent and vulgar for Muslim women".

Women shouldn't take part in "vulgar sports", protesters say

Women from all over Bangladesh were due to take part in the event.

The state-run wrestling federation said it hoped to be able to hold the competition in a few months' time.

Venue change

The federation's insistence that the competitors would be fully dressed and would not be wearing shorts failed to reassure Islamic protesters.

"There is a misunderstanding. They might have thought that it would be a tournament like WWF [World Wrestling Federation], but we can assure them there will be nothing like that because we are fully aware of our religious sentiments," the federation's director, Tabiur Rahman, was quoted as saying by the Daily Star newspaper.

WWF shows can be seen on satellite TV channels in the mainly Muslim country.

Dozens of demonstrators took to the streets of the capital, Dhaka, on Friday and Saturday calling on the authorities to cancel the event.

They warned the government that it would be responsible for the consequences if the women's competition went ahead.

"We are even ready to sacrifice our lives, if necessary, to protect our country from any kind of indecent sports," Moulana Mohiuddin Khan, leader of Jamiatul Ulama Islami warned.

Despite the threats, the sporting federation had hoped the tournament would take place, and even changed the venue, moving it from a national gymnasium to a women's sports centre in a residential neighbourhood.

Bangladeshi women regularly compete in sports such as volleyball, swimming, judo and hockey.

Source: BBC

[Edited on 4-7-2004 by rezwan1977]
Old July 5, 2004, 02:49 AM
Test Cricketer

I don't know guys, why the hell are u supporting this wrestling sports. Itz dangerous, and barbaric. It doesn't matter if women or men play it, itz just barbaric. I sometime see american wrestling, and see how much hatret (pretending or not) they pass to each other. Itz bad. Itz bad for mentality of people. The people who participate, including fans, doesn't look normal to me. They all look mentali handicap to me.

Now about women's wrestling in Bangladesh. I come from an educated family. In our family women are educated. So I know that wrestling is not for women. I am not a radical but from a educated and religious family. Not everything of men is for women, and vice versa. Surely women should participate in sports, but they could participate in different type of sports. I don't want to see my bengali sisters revealing thenselves in a barbaric sports. I usually don't support Islamic political parties in Bangladesh, because they do politics using Islam. But in this point, I do support them. This will not backen Bangladeshi women from progressing. Now still if you say that wrestling is for women, then will you answer this, will you be happy to see your mother, sister, wife or daughter to wear such a tight clothing and participate in such a sport like wrestling?

[Edited on 5-7-2004 by TigerFan]
Old July 5, 2004, 06:40 AM

To me, the point is not the wrestling here.
If this sports dose not fit us, let the people chose it.
Surely not most of all will chose to play wrestling.
Wearing tight cloth is not that odd, if you get used to it.
Those who are living abroad, their family having dressed like that,
and doing sports like that without any hesitation.

The question is, today they are talking against wrestling,
but there is no assurance that they will not talk against woman football, hockey,
volleyball or etc. some day. And if we step back this time because of their protest,
Next time we have to take PERMISSION from them when we need to take
a new sport for women or something like that.
Like big faces Iranian Islamic council or whatever they call, decides all the thing in view of Islam.
Old July 5, 2004, 08:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

TigerFan, seems like you have hard time to differentiate between WWF type wrestiling and the wrestling which is played in summer olympic games..."There is a misunderstanding. They might have thought that it would be a tournament like WWF [World Wrestling Federation], but we can assure them there will be nothing like that because we are fully aware of our religious sentiments."

Personally I also dont like any kind of wrestling or any sport that physically attacks the opponent. But as Beamer and PoorFan told that the point is not "wrestling" itself here. It is women sports in general for which we raise our voice against some hedonic pompous fools who catagorically want women to cover in veil and lock them up in the kitchen. In a developing country like Bangladesh where women in these days are trying hard to take part and compete every aspect of our socio-economomic activities, we should not allow the Mullahs to come up with mouthfull of malignant fatwas against any women issue.

And no wonder it is your so called patriarchal manhood that makes you utter "wrestling is not for women". What is for women then? Ludo and carrum??

[Edited on 5-7-2004 by Navarene]
Old July 5, 2004, 03:12 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Those who are living abroad, their family having dressed like that,
and doing sports like that without any hesitation.
Not quite. many families I know in foreign countries are practicing Islamic dress code and practicing Islam and they are successful in their fields, Alhamdulillah.

Quote:
The question is, today they are talking against wrestling,
but there is no assurance that they will not talk against woman football, hockey,
volleyball or etc. some day. And if we step back this time because of their protest,
Next time we have to take PERMISSION from them when we need to take
a new sport for women or something like that.
Like big faces Iranian Islamic council or whatever they call, decides all the thing in view of Islam.
When base is not right, it does not take much time for a structure to crash down. Fighting for wrestling will not be a right path for progression for women, IN MY OPINION. We are Muslims, so first we should follow Islamic values and use them for progression of both men and women. Islam never fails-that we muslims believe, there are ofcourse hardship but Islam prevails all the time Insh Allah.

Quote:
And no wonder it is your so called patriarchal manhood that makes you utter "wrestling is not for women". What is for women then? Ludo and carrum??
You are funny. Wow, I didn't play Ludo and carrum for a long time. The thing is Navarene bhai, sure women will participate in sports. In my opinion both MUSLIM MEN AND MUSLIM WOMEN should participate in sports, which's any rule does not contradict Islamic rulez and regulations. Bhai, we are Muslims, and thats how we have to go ahead. But don't get me wrong, I don't support Islamic Parties of Bangladesh, all I am saying is what I just said.
Old July 5, 2004, 11:58 PM

>Not quite. many families I know in foreign countries are practicing Islamic dress code and practicing Islam and they are successful in their fields, Alhamdulillah.
----
Right! but nobody force them saying what they should do or what they should not!

>When base is not right, it does not take much time for a structure to crash down.
We are Muslims, so first we should follow Islamic values and use them for progression of both men and women.
-----
It's certainly take time to get into the right position even it was wrong from the beginning.
Sometime even need a painful sacrifice when a wrong structure already has been built.
Finding progression from Islamic values, both for man & women is a huge range you talking about.
I cant imagine what could the REAL output, and how it could help ( may not be helpful though ), if we
always try to valuation the things that way.

[Edited on 6-7-2004 by PoorFan]