facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 13, 2009, 08:04 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul
Default The Everything About Mehrab Hossain Jnr. Thread

He might not be in the playing XI at the moment and he might not be the most scintilating player ever to grace the cricket ground but I have just become a fan of his. Not because of his cricketing ability but because of character, personality and courage.

I'm alluring to his new image...flowing dark beard and Sunnah "styled" wardrobe. It takes a great deal of courage, personality and confidence to express oneself freely. Specially, in islamic way in todays atmosphere. I am really impressed by this young cricketers choice, character and decesion making ability at such an young age.

As long as he doesnt have any rigid and extreme religious thoughts or tries to impose these on his fellow team mates, I think his will have a better influence on this young, up and comming and impressionable squad. At least, Sir Siddons will have one less Andrew Symo like worries.

Gone are the days when BD players would have been pretty pleased just to immitate foreign players. Now they are beginning to set trends and behave and express themselevs as a free man...start of a new chapter in BD cricket book- definitely. I wish Mehrab all the best on and off the cricket field. Hope he ups his SR a bit more and dosnt give up singing The young man is multi-talented...no doubts there!

Please leave your thoughts and views.

Old August 13, 2009, 09:06 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

lol, U may not find any of his fan here.
Old August 13, 2009, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omio
Jr. is a bc-fan, though....
Old August 13, 2009, 09:14 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Count me in. I believe one day he will be a prize asset of our Test team.
Old August 13, 2009, 09:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

If you mean, Mehrab the singer, count me as a fan, too.
If you mean beard, mustache, so-called islamic dress, it's his personal matter. Nothing to be a fan.
If you mean cricket, have to see his best yet. Wishing him good luck.
Old August 13, 2009, 09:19 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: tendulkar,Dravid,Ashraful

joke..pure joke !
Old August 13, 2009, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baundule
If you mean, Mehrab the singer, count me as a fan, too.
If you mean beard, mustache, so-called islamic dress, it's his personal matter. Nothing to be a fan.
If you mean cricket, have to see his best yet. Wishing him good luck.
I agree 100 % wid that.
Old August 13, 2009, 09:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
I think his will have a better influence on this young, up and comming and impressionable squad.
How?

Quote:
Gone are the days when BD players would have been pretty pleased just to immitate foreign players. Now they are beginning to set trends and behave and express themselevs as a free man...start of a new chapter in BD cricket book- definitely.
How it can be titled as new chapter in BD cricket?

Is not religious view is something which is a personal thing? Players come to our team from various back-ground, from various scio-economic status and from various religious view. Do we really want a "religious group" in our team which can lead to groupings and negative effect to be as a "Team"?
Old August 13, 2009, 10:09 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseer
How?

Players come to our team from various back-ground, from various scio-economic status and from various religious view. Do we really want a "religious group" in our team which can lead to groupings and negative effect to be as a "Team"?
Not at all! Im a great fan of Alok Kapali and if he practices his religion to the letter without imposing it on the others or dosnt adversely affect his game then Im all up for it too. In fact, I will encourage all religions and religiously inspired people. It has to be enlightened versions of religions though and not extreme or rigid ones. I'm refering to the very essence of religions/faith/spiritualities and not the mere run of the mill cultural or ritual practices.

I believe, if people understand the spirit and lofty ideals of their respective religions and leaves out the negative aspects it will make them better human beings. Hence, better social cohesion. Unity through diversity.
Old August 13, 2009, 10:13 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omio
Lol...people are fickle minded...one good knock from Mehrab and...
Old August 13, 2009, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not at all! Im a great fan of Alok Kapali and if he practices his religion to the letter without imposing it on the others or dosnt adversely affect his game then Im all up for it too. In fact, I will encourage all religions and religiously inspired people. It has to be enlightened versions of religions though and not extreme or rigid ones. I'm refering to the very essence of religions/faith/spiritualities and not the mere run of the mill cultural or ritual practices.

I believe, if people understand the spirit and lofty ideals of their respective religions and leaves out the negative aspects it will make them better human beings. Hence, better social cohesion. Unity through diversity.
If you are a fan of a cricketer not because of his cricketing knowledge or acheivements,ur thread must not be in the cricket forum at the first place. U could post it in the ''forget cricket'' forum.It has nothing to do with cricket.If you argue, pls dont forget to mention how his personal valuez and beliefz can benifit our cricket.
Old August 13, 2009, 10:20 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Sorry is this Mehrab fan thread or religious discussion
Old August 13, 2009, 10:28 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

this title should be everything official mehrab jr does

though he doesnt do any thing except showing his beard. i am sure, he will shave it at the end of the tour.

agree with miraz: hope he will be asset in test team
agree with baundule: everything. dont know how good singer he is, Isnt there 1 million singer in BD like him
Old August 13, 2009, 10:33 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

He is playing tomorrow.
Old August 13, 2009, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
He is playing tomorrow.
replacing whom?
Old August 13, 2009, 10:49 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz_ca
replacing whom?
Bangladesh in Zimbabwe, 2009
Mahbubul and Mehrab in for the 3rd ODI
13 August 2009
Bangladesh's problem with the pace bowling department is mounting as Nazmul Hossain became the latest casualty in the long list after suffering a thigh strain during practice at Bulawayo today.
Read the rest of the bulletin »
Old August 13, 2009, 10:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Oh. Mehrab Jr is playing. We can kiss a nice, breezy start goodbye. Why can't Naeem come open along side Tamim and Mehrab Jr. play down the order.
Old August 13, 2009, 11:14 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

BanCricFan

Do we have any Andrew Symo type worries in the squad? Not that I recall. Not anyone since Pilot left anyway. There is a big difference between a social sip or two ( like some of our players ) and flaming alcoholics like Symonds. And, there are some contradictions to your remark. On one hand you don't want him to impose his beliefs on the squad ( hopefully nothing rigid ), yet with the other hand, you wish it will influence the impressionable young sqaud. For the later to happen, it is impossible without being preachy somewhat. To me, a player in BD team has one job and one job only, and that is to perform and give it his best for the country. He can express himself anyway he likes without being detrimental to the sqaud. I wish Mehrab all the best. I do like his compact batting style and sharp fielding. To me there is no difference between him, or a Hindu player, or a flaming atheist, as long as the primary religion is the servitude of BD cricket. Saying that, sign me up in his fan club.
Old August 13, 2009, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycpro96
Oh. Mehrab Jr is playing. We can kiss a nice, breezy start goodbye. Why can't Naeem come open along side Tamim and Mehrab Jr. play down the order.

hope team management listen to u. its a bad decision. after 50 plus partnership, why breaking pair?

naeem should open, if mehrab plays.
Old August 13, 2009, 11:23 AM
Cricket Sage

As top batsmans in the lineup are relatively young and kind of settling down nicely (so far), its will be harder and harder for a new batsman to get the opportunity that they used to get in the past.

I hope Meharb Jr. Realize that and make maximum use out of that. If he miss this opportunity, next opportunity may not come so easliy.
Old August 13, 2009, 11:34 AM
Cricket Guru

Miraz,
Nice one!

Naz_ca,
Why all these MPUH?

Beamer,
If Meharb followed the Wahabi/Taliban kind of Islam then he should keep it to himself. Otherwise, no harm in sharing the best of religions with his team mates. If Alok or Tapash were in the team same would apply.

Mods,
Like wiseshah has suggested can we change the title to "Everything Mehrab....."?! Thanks.
Old August 13, 2009, 12:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

[quote=BanCricFan;959968]Miraz,
Nice one!

Beamer,
If Meharb followed the Wahabi/Taliban kind of Islam then he should keep it to himself. Otherwise, no harm in sharing the best of religions with his team mates. If Alok or Tapash were in the team same would apply.

So, Wahabi/Taliban is a branch of Islam? Are you conceding that? To me, they are a perversion of Islam, which is also divisive, violent, and above all, contrary and dismissive of the laws of the land. If he ( hypothetically ) is preaching that brand, keeping it to himself is not an option, but incarceration is.

How about not sharing of any beliefs? Its interesting how it starts with personal expression of freedom, to create positive impression on the impressionable, to outright sharing - all in a matter of hours
Old August 13, 2009, 12:16 PM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I am also a fan of Mehrab, technically as a batsman he is really sound, his footwork is also better than some of the other players in the team. I agree that his performance at the highest level is not up to mark but we also must remember that he didn't get enough opportunities like many other players to play for the team, although he was in the squad more often than not.

Now as a person he has changed himself dramatically, there was an article on Jugantor few months back about his transformation to a religious person. He prays five times a day and also involves himself in many other religious activities. His transformation is more surprising because he was an avid singer from his childhood and used to be a part of many cultural programs for his school Wills Little Flower. He did his O' levels and A' levels from Wills and had excellent results getting straight A's in O' levels. The article also said that he has decided to stop singing and will try to maintain a peaceful and religious life. Wish him all the best with his new lifestyle.
Old August 13, 2009, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Miraz,
Nice one!

Naz_ca,
Why all these MPUH?

Beamer,

Mods,
Like wiseshah has suggested can we change the title to "Everything Mehrab....."?! Thanks.
thanks. so nice of you.
Old August 13, 2009, 12:39 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Completely agree with you BCF bhai! Go Mehrab Go!