facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 22, 2018, 07:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Sometimes a player starts off his career with a certain role, then in time adapts.

Does Soumya have the potential to fit in as an all rounder?

In other words in T20's or ODI bat at 7, and bowl. His role with the bat with then mean to throw it around, get quick runs. He seems to be quite underrated as a bowler. Very good with his yorkers, slower deliveries.

In fact one cant say Soumya is far behind Saifuddin with the ball.

Old March 22, 2018, 07:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Sarkar has no role in the T20 team.

He has some hope in ODIs and better chances at Tests.

Sadly he is one of those players who had an amazing career in front of him. But he is his own barrier!
Old March 22, 2018, 07:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
Sarkar has no role in the T20 team.

He has some hope in ODIs and better chances at Tests.

Sadly he is one of those players who had an amazing career in front of him. But he is his own barrier!
What if he is given the role of the last 5 over batsman with the license to hit.

And of course he develops his bowling, works on his pace a bit. As it is, he can bowl 125-130
Old March 22, 2018, 08:02 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wang Liqin

I was really impressed with his bowling capabilities. He can bowl yorkers at will. His slowers are good too, but he is a gentle med-pacer anyway.

As a batsman, he is a nervous starter, feet don't move at all under pressure. He also s**** at spin. Not good with rotation and running bet'n the wickets. He isn't a power hitter by nature, rather scores on his timing. I can't place him anywhere other than an opening batsman. But he needs to work on his footwork and against spin bowling. All BAN batsmen need to work on playing short balls and spin bowling. He can be an effective all-rounder in LOI cricket for BAN.

I stand against the current wave of "Drop Soumya" on social media.
Old March 22, 2018, 08:19 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Kohli

As a neutral observer without bias, I would say Soumya has underachieved considering he has some ability and talent. A little bit like Dinesh Karthik of India, his career has been neither here nor there. Laxman used to play like this initially when he was not sure of his place in the side.Once Soumya gains confidence, he would be a different player.
Old October 29, 2018, 09:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

So this may be an unpopular opinion, I did not like Soumya's century innings.

Let me first say that I value Soumya over Liton for our long term plans. Soumya has been good for the most part, only undone by one of the worst patches of form by any Bd batsman ever. So it is very much fixable, whatever he has, and with enough games he will be first good enough, and then great! Liton on the other hand, has been ups and downs the whole time he is here, and this is harder form trajectory to fix in my opinion.

Having said that, I thought Soumya's century consisted of mostly ugly shots. Completely cross batted, not too much footwork, he just got lucky as Zim's two bowling replacements were even worse than what they had for the 1st and 2nd ODI! Seems like Bd let Zim borrow its selectors for that game. lol. If this will be his batting mantra from now on, he will get found out pretty quickly.

I want the old Soumya back. My favorite innings of his so far is his 51 against NZ in the 2015 world cup.
Old October 29, 2018, 01:46 PM
Test Cricketer

I don't see that many cross-batted shots. Yes, there are too many lofted shots over mid-wicket and long-on regions mostly with the spin, some against the spin and few against pacers (one got him out). Once you're settled and feel like flying with confidence, you play wherever and whichever way you want as long as you're scoring runs quickly...

Old October 31, 2018, 10:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Somiya/Sumaya/Sumo Sarkar is a beast when he is on song!
Old November 1, 2018, 05:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Perhaps this is the turning point for Sarkar to get his confidence back. I hope he doesnt turn out to be a minnow basher.

The difference between him and Kayes when they both scored 100s were that Kayes shots were quite to fielders. It was also nice how he read the spinners and came down to them, but doing that against better quality spinners and he could get himself into trouble.

I hope he comes back to form
Old November 1, 2018, 10:42 AM
Test Cricketer

I want to see Tamim, Soumya & Imrul in top 3 in ODI's provided they carry on their consistencies. It will be simply majestic if all 3 go into WC in full form.
Old December 15, 2018, 07:24 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Soumya Sarkar's record at number 3 is impressive

Ave 43 SR 99

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting
Old December 15, 2018, 10:31 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Players like Soumya and Liton are probably the best timer of the cricket ball in world cricket right now. We often criticize both of them for the way they get out but that often happens due to mistimed shots or incorrect shot selection. By the same token, the same exact attempted shots if timed to perfection looks glorious and may go for four/six. Soumya/Liton will not score tons day in and day out but when they do, they will flatten any opposition in world cricket. something we have to live with i guess.

If they have a 33% match winning knock rate as opposed to 10% match winning knock rate(Ashraful). I'll take it. Ashraful is another player who relied on pure timing, but had less success than Soumya/Liton. Also, international Bowlers will try many variations and subtle change of pace more times than not, so it's very easy to see how these same guys can bully Domestics and still struggle in international cricket batting the same exact way.

During Ashraful's time, Mushfiq, Tamim and Shakib were present but not as mature as today batting wise. Ashraful had less senior guys to mentor him so that may be another reason. The opposition solely planned and targeted Ashraful. Today, opposition makes plans for not just one player but several players.
Old December 15, 2018, 03:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc

Ave 43 SR 99

I don't really understand why they tried him at 7. He is not a finisher at all.
Old December 15, 2018, 04:49 PM
Test Cricketer

I liked the hunger in his body language. But still not 100% sold on him as permanent no 2/3 bat. I saw a lot of on the air and risky/lucky shots.
Old December 15, 2018, 07:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

I was telling Rinat and Alfie, you have to let Soumya play his natural game. More you try to mold him, the more he will suffer. He can be kept at 3 as a good counter striker, the strategy which Eng employs.

I really want him to be the first Bd batsman to score a ODI 200. When he gets going, he shows no signs of gassing out. Will the day come where he bats 50 overs?
Old December 16, 2018, 02:15 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bura
I liked the hunger in his body language. But still not 100% sold on him as permanent no 2/3 bat. I saw a lot of on the air and risky/lucky shots.
And it’s those risky shots is what gets him out most of the time. But tbh Tamim used to be like this in his early days. Now do we allow him more time like we did with Tamim?
Old December 16, 2018, 02:20 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
And it’s those risky shots is what gets him out most of the time. But tbh Tamim used to be like this in his early days. Now do we allow him more time like we did with Tamim?
I think if any of the young batsmen are to be given more time, from a pure stats standpoint soumya is the pick in the odi format.
Old December 16, 2018, 02:23 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
I am with Roey on this. Soumya has to continue the way he has always played which is to be an aggressive batsman. The main selling point for him is that he can utilize the fielding restriction and if he stays on the wicket for 15 overs, we will be in a good position to win a match. Maybe he will become more matured and patient like Tamim is now some day and we will have to find him a different role then. But we will cross that bridge when we come to it.
Old December 16, 2018, 02:49 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib
I am with Roey on this. Soumya has to continue the way he has always played which is to be an aggressive batsman. The main selling point for him is that he can utilize the fielding restriction and if he stays on the wicket for 15 overs, we will be in a good position to win a match. Maybe he will become more matured and patient like Tamim is now some day and we will have to find him a different role then. But we will cross that bridge when we come to it.
There IS a solution. He can still time his shots and still play all around the ground. I have seen Mominul do this many a times in test cricket. He has to develop better judgement on when to play shots in the air and when not to..i.e. more strike rotation, where the field placements are and how the opposition is planning to trap you. This is something that comes with experience, maturity and wisdom after playing many more international cricket.

This may come with a price, his strike rate may suffer but probably not by much. same advice goes for Liton.
Old December 16, 2018, 02:51 AM
Cricket Sage

For me personally, the NZ tour is the ultimate litmus test for all the young guys. Any of the potential maybe's that score ANY 50+ innings in NZ soil get's a ticket to world cup in England.
Old December 16, 2018, 06:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Soumya, Liton and sabbir still remain the most talented after the seniors, for now, not much choice but to go with these guys since they are the ones who have the most experience after the seniors. Once WC happens if these guys are still inconsistent then a new batch can be started with in preparation for the next WC.
Old December 16, 2018, 12:34 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc

Ave 43 SR 99

And if you take out the last 2 games there, it's less than 28.
Old December 16, 2018, 12:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zura
And if you take out the last 2 games there, it's less than 28.
And why would you take out the last two games? Aren't those the best indicator of current form?
Old December 16, 2018, 01:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Won't be surprised if they play around with his position again.. Shouldn't be playing T20s in the first place.
Old December 16, 2018, 01:43 PM
Street Cricketer

Sarkar is a versatile cricketer. A handy player for us and deserve much more credit. His counterattack batting style can demoralise a good bowler and he is a good catcher of the ball too. Good fielding has so much positive impact on the game. I think Sarkar and Liton should be persisted for long time.