facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Old July 14, 2014, 04:58 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Neuer should have seen red either for his attempt to knock out Higuain
We need to change one of the basic rules of football then. Neuer made a clean connection first and his follow-through was natural. You are not supposed to directly challenge a goalkeeper if he is going to be the first one to the ball. That's not a foul on anyone, just an unlucky incident. It could be a straightforward red card if Neuer touched Higuain first.

Old July 14, 2014, 05:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

If Messi put that chance away, we would be having a totally different conversation right now. That moment would have placed him side by side with Maradona in terms of status. But he ****ed it up. Messi is clearly a class player, one of the best in the world right now but lets be realistic here, he had a more than decent team to work with. Yea sure maybe Di Maria would have allowed him to play better and also Higuain was playing poorly but he had Lavezzi and Mascherano playing alongside him and his team's defence is good. The problem is that the flaws that he has in his game are huge ones. Constantly drifting in and out of games. That is why some games you see him playing well and other games when the opposition have a lot of the possession than he barely touches the ball throughout the whole game. If you compare this aspect on his game to Ronaldo then Ronaldo smashes him big time. Ronaldo in those situations is the first one to be sprinting down when the counterattack is on. Messi is strolling around the field expecting the ball to come to him. The day you start seeing Messi working hard for the team is the day when you can say Messi is greater than Maradona.
Old July 14, 2014, 05:23 AM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
If Messi put that chance away, we would be having a totally different conversation right now. That moment would have placed him side by side with Maradona in terms of status. But he ****ed it up. Messi is clearly a class player, one of the best in the world right now but lets be realistic here, he had a more than decent team to work with. Yea sure maybe Di Maria would have allowed him to play better and also Higuain was playing poorly but he had Lavezzi and Mascherano playing alongside him and his team's defence is good. The problem is that the flaws that he has in his game are huge ones. Constantly drifting in and out of games. Not running the miles. Not doing the hard yards. That is why some games you see him playing well and other games when the opposition have a lot of the possession than he barely touches the ball throughout the whole game. He just isn't agile enough. If you compare this aspect on his game to Ronaldo then Ronaldo smashes him big time. Ronaldo in those situations is the first one to be sprinting down when the counterattack is on. Messi is strolling around the field expecting the ball to come to him.
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statist.../distance.html

Old July 14, 2014, 09:40 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib

I felt Argentina did better than expected in the final. In fact, they played good enough that Germany didn't look as threatening during most of the match. It's true Lavezzi was causing all sorts of problems for Germany in the first half but the Argentinean coach (Sabella) went for more attack in 2nd half exactly due to those opportunities and that was a turning point. Once Lavezzi was replaced with Aguero it seemed Messi had to do more work and the German back and midfield learned from the first half to stop Argentina's attacks effectively. Toward the end of regulation time you can see Germany attacking more and more and Argentina just defending well. It seemed that Germany can just wear down Argentina and eventually win. But in extra time there was a reverse of trend when Argentina nearly scored and Schwensteiger was injured. That's why Goetze's goal is so spectacular. Just when you think Argentina is nearing the end of extra time and is guarding well against Lahm-Schwensteiger-Muller offensive, here come Schurrer down the wing and gives a cross that was scored with a 1-touch shot. It was a spectacular goal in itself, but also showed how deep German offense goes and how they are a "total" team (reminds of 2002 Brazil team).

Truth is nobody knew how things wiould turn out in the end. The World Cup final is different from the rest. Germany's super offense didn't work that well against Argentina. And Sabella's offensive bunch could not score despite getting the better chances. I can't blame Messi and I felt he deserved the best player award. Robben was great but he didn't perform that well either when faced with strong defense like Costa Rica and Argentina. Mueller was not effective in the final. But Messi and the Argentine defense together carried them all the way to the finals.
Old July 14, 2014, 11:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

This last page discussion, EVERY SINGLE point made by different posters, were also made by me with the person i was watching the game with. It's freaky.

Couldn't agree with more.... with all of the above staring reverse swing explanation of what constitute a real foul..LOL

Only disagreement: I don't think Messi deserves it.. my personal opinion.
Old July 14, 2014, 12:45 PM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb

Couldn't agree with more.... with all of the above staring reverse swing explanation of what constitute a real foul..LOL
According to Law 12 of Football, the following conditions must be met for an offence to be considered a foul:
• it must be committed by a player
• it must occur on the field of play
it must occur while the ball is in play
These are the basic requirements. The 10 offences that constitute a foul are listed in Law 12. You can go and read them. In this case, Neuer made a clean connection first and the ball was not in play during the collision! Neuer technically won the ball but what followed was incidental contact.It was quite reckless, but not a foul to me.

Old July 14, 2014, 01:31 PM
Cricket Guru

ANy of the German players should have gotten the Golden Ball Award, if there was any Argentinian that deserved it, should have been Mascerano instead of Messi. Even Messi was reluctant to go receive that award
Old July 14, 2014, 10:05 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

the debate of Messi and the Golden Ball will never end ... ... ...

even i get confused ... ...
Old July 15, 2014, 05:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_swing
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statist.../distance.html
He played 2-3 games more than most players. Obviously he would have covered more kms than quite a number of players. But even that he still ranked poorly. He is ranked the lowest out of all players who have played at least 7 games. It just reiterates my point even further. Messi played 145mins of football more than RVP but RVP has covered almost the same distance as Messi... Now lets compare with his own team mates. Messi has played 122 minutes of football more than Higuain but Higuain has still covered 1km more than Messi... So that pretty much tells you the whole picture about Messi.
Old July 15, 2014, 05:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
He played 2-3 games more than most players. Obviously he would have covered more kms than quite a number of players. But even that he isn't even ranked that well. He is ranked the lowest out of all players who have played at least 7 games. It just reiterates my point even further. Messi played 145mins of football more than RVP but RVP has covered just 400m less than Messi... So that pretty much tells you the whole picture about Messi.
Bengalipagol, I think he was agreeing with you with that link. LOL.

I agree.... I saw him walking around on the field while watching the final and made the similar comment as you... and compared him with meuller who was grinding it out...

and the chart has speaketh....
Old July 15, 2014, 05:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Bengalipagol, I think he was agreeing with you with that link. LOL.
I couldn't tell bro. LOL