facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old January 18, 2009, 05:51 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: iqbal,ishant,southee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseshah
double thread
double expectations
double century =century + century
double strike
double fun
double excitement
double victory--- in a row
lol
that will never happen

Old January 18, 2009, 06:16 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sean Williams

i think you guys are over confident even though you played well against sri lanka

i think tomorrow will be another close game which most of the games between Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are
Old January 18, 2009, 06:23 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

I am taking nothing for granted. I wouldn't be surprised if Zimbabwe manage to take the lead tomorrow.
Old January 18, 2009, 06:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

well I hope our players are not taking this series as a piece of cake after having neck to neck fight against Srilanka, they should take it as to revive their form and look at it as their playing against any other top teams. Make it habit of playing according to the situation instead underestimation or overestimation the opposition.
Old January 18, 2009, 06:33 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

don't worry guys.BD will win all 3 games inshallah.....

Last edited by Nadim; January 18, 2009 at 06:43 AM..
Old January 18, 2009, 06:38 AM
Banned

hoping for a clean sweep
Old January 18, 2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
I am taking nothing for granted.
Agreed. Untill the match finished, wern't winner!

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Zimbabwe manage to take the lead tomorrow.
I would be surprised, really, Miraz Bhai.
Old January 18, 2009, 07:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Goodluck BD ..JOY Bangla let's make up for that heartbreak.
Old January 18, 2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimfan
i think you guys are over confident even though you played well against sri lanka
You should be, too as you beat us ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimfan
i think tomorrow will be another close game which most of the games between Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are
I hope not!
Old January 18, 2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunda
Goodluck BD ..JOY Bangla let's make up for that heartbreak.
Don't see any sign of heartbreak though...seems you are in tripple Love...!!!
Old January 18, 2009, 08:51 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

It won't be that easy.
Zimb got a very good bowling attack & we got top order batting problems.
Hope for the best.
BTW,will it be broadcasted or any link?
Old January 18, 2009, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
It won't be that easy.
Zimb got a very good bowling attack & we got top order batting problems.
Hope for the best.
BTW,will it be broadcasted or any link?
yuppp there will be ppl who will broadcast this match
Old January 18, 2009, 10:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir/Taskin/Anamul/Sohag

insha Allah, we vl win 3-0
Old January 18, 2009, 10:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

I really want to see Tamim make a BIG score.
Old January 18, 2009, 11:08 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Here's a BC bulletin

Bangladesh ready for Zimbabwe challenge

18 January 2009

Bangladesh captain Mohammad Ashraful is moving up the order to number three in a bid to regain his form and lead the team from the front as Bangladesh prepare to face a resilient Zimbabwe side in the opening match of the three- match GrameenPhone ODI series on Monday. Zimbabwe defeated an undercooked Bangladesh side in the opening match of the recently concluded tri-series and Bangladesh is desperate to avenge the defeat with a resounding win the first match of the ODI series.

Both Bangladesh skipper and coach admitted that they were confident in the first match of tri-series and failed to switch to ODI style from Test mode which led to their downfall. "We were really confident against Zimbabwe but the first game was a slip up. I think coming off Test cricket into one day cricket we were not ready. We were not ready for the tempo and momentum of one day cricket. It is a faster pace and we needed to score quicker but our guys were in the mood of letting balls go" said Siddons in the pre-match press briefing.

"But we picked ourselves pretty fast and I didn't think we'd get the bonus point but we got that and in the final it was amazing. Everyone thought we had it and we did not do too much wrong but Murali took it from us", he added.

Bangladesh captain Mohammad Ashraful is hoping for a clean sweep and solid contributions from the top-order to achieve the feat. "We are all expecting it to be 3-0 if we play good cricket in all three departments. We will go into it match by match. The confidence is up after our performance against Sri Lanka in back to back matches".

"Here I would like to see a hundred in each match from one of the top order batsmen and hopefully I will make runs too if I get going" said Ashraful.

Zimbabwe skipper Prosper Utseya also vowed to win the series convincingly and threw challenge to his Bangladeshi counterpart. "We want to win every match convincingly. That's how we approach every game we play. I guess 200 can be a competitive score if you bowl and field well."

Bangladesh (12): Tamim Iqbal, Zunaed Siddique, Mohammad Ashraful (Captain), Roqibul Hassan, Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim (Wicketkeeper), Naeem Islam, Mahmud Ullah Riyad, Masrafe Bin Mortaza, Mahbubul Alam, Rubel Hossain, Nazmul Hossain

Zimbabwe (From): Prosper Utseya (Captain), Elton Chigumbura, Graeme Cremer, Keith Dabengwa, Hamilton Masakadza, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Christopher Mpofu, Tawanda Mupariwa, Forster Mutizwa, Raymond Price, Edward Rainsford, Vusimuzi Sibanda, Tatenda Taibu (Wicketkeeper), Malcolm Waller, Sean Williams

Match starts: 9:00am Bangladesh Standard Time (0300hrs GMT)

Match Referee: Alan Hurst (Australia)

Umpires: Zameer Haider (Pakistan) & Nadir Shah (Bangladesh)

TV Umpire: Enamul Hoque Moni (Bangladesh)

4th Umpire: Anisur Rahman (Bangladesh)

Old January 18, 2009, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
I am taking nothing for granted. I wouldn't be surprised if Zimbabwe manage to take the lead tomorrow.
Our batting is a major concern; especially with Ashraful coming in at #3 tomorrow and given his record against Zimbabwe, we might practically be three down even before the game starts.
Old January 18, 2009, 11:26 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

yeah ash will bat at number 3
http://www.tigercricket.com/viewNews.aspx?newsID=647
Old January 18, 2009, 11:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

Ash at #3 is a mistake. Mark my words.
Old January 18, 2009, 11:45 AM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro1249
Ash at #3 is a mistake. Mark my words.
Marked.
Old January 18, 2009, 11:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Bangladesh v Zimbabwe, 1st ODI, Mirpur

Bangladesh look to build on improved showing

Cricinfo staff

January 18, 2009

Match facts

January 19, 2008
Start time 09.00 am (03.00 GMT)
Big Picture

Bangladesh failed to beat Sri Lanka in a thrilling tri-series final in Mirpur but an improved performance in their last two ODI's - including a win against Sri Lanka in the group stage - will give them the edge going into the three-match series against Zimbabwe.

The hosts were upset by Zimbabwe in the first match of that tri-series but were able to raise their game when it mattered. Bangladesh had relied heavily on Shakib Al Hasan in the recent Test series against Sri Lanka, and while he continued his good form in the tri-series, his team's better show in the tournament was the result of a more collective effort.

Shakib was well supported by spin partner Naeem Islam and the fast bowlers rose to the occasion. Mashrafe Mortaza and Rubel Hossain took seven wickets between them in Bangladesh's win in the league match against Sri Lanka, and Nazmul Hossain took three wickets in the final to help reduce Sri Lanka to 6 for 5. However, their top three batsmen struggled, managing only 46 runs between them in three games, and Zimbabwe will be keen to capitalise on their lean run.

Zimbabwe won their first ODI against a Test-playing nation in over a year when they beat Bangladesh in the tri-series opener, but their batsmen capitulated for 80 against Sri Lanka. They had run Sri Lanka close in three of the five ODI's in their home series prior to the tour of Bangladesh but squandered winning positions in each of those three games. They also struggled against the spin of Ajantha Mendis and Muttiah Muralitharan, and subsequently against Shakib and Naeem, who took three wickets each in the tri-series opener. Zimbabwe won their tour match against Bangladesh Cricket Board Academy comprehensively, but their batsmen failed once again and were bowled out for 89 in the first innings.

Both teams were inconsistent, and had their highs against Sri Lanka in recent encounters, but Bangladesh peaked at the right time and their impressive performance against a quality outfit will give them the confidence and the momentum going into the ODI series.

Form guide (last five completed ODIs, most recent first)

Zimbabwe LWLLL
Bangladesh LWLLL

Watch out for

Ed Rainsford took seven wickets in his last three ODIs, including two successive three-wicket hauls against Sri Lanka, and will spearhead Zimbabwe's pace attack. He's taken 10 wickets at 36.20 against Bangladesh and will want to improve upon that. He also took 3 for 27 in the first innings of the tour match to bowl out BCB Academy for 59.

Nazmul Hossain performed well in the tri-series final, taking 3 for 30, and shone against Zimbabwe in the tour-match, capturing eight wickets. However, he would want to reduce his economy-rate of 5.54 and support new-ball partner Mashrafe Mortaza before Shakib and Naeem are brought on to bowl.

Teams

Rubel Hossain took four wickets in Bangladesh's win against Sri Lanka in the league stage of the tri-series, and despite proving expensive in the final, he's likely to be retained in place of Mahbubul Alam. Bangladesh, however, made a change to the batting order with Mohammad Ashraful moving up to No 3.

Bangladesh (probable) 1 Tamim Iqbal, 2 Junaid Siddique, 3 Mohammad Ashraful (capt), 4 Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), 5 Shakib Al Hasan, 6 Raqibul Hasan, 7 Mahmudullah, 8 Naeem Islam, 9 Mashrafe Mortaza ,10 Nazmul Hossain, 11 Rubel Hossain.

Zimbabwe were yet to announce their 12 for the match. Despite the flop against Sri Lanka, they might retain the winning team that beat Bangladesh.

Zimbabwe (probable) 1 Vusi Sibanda, 2 Hamilton Masakadza, 3 Tatenda Taibu, 4 Stuart Matsikenyeri, 5 Sean Williams, 6 Elton Chigumbura, 7 Keith Dabengwa, 8 Prosper Utseya (capt), 9 Ray Price, 10 Tawanda Mupariwa, 11 Ed Rainsford.

Conditions

The pitches during the tri-series produced a series of low scores with an average of 18.60 per wicket in the last four ODIs. The side winning the toss chose to field each time, so the pace bowlers will look to utilise the favourable conditions in the morning to take some early wickets.

Stats and Trivia

* The average runs-per-wicket at the Shere Bangla National Stadium is 26.49, significantly higher than the 18.60 in the four matches in the tri-series. Bangladesh average 26.97 per-wicket here in 17 matches

* Zimbabwe enjoy a 19-15 win-loss record against Bangladesh. Since 2006 though, they have won five and lost 11 against them.

Quotes

"We want to win every match convincingly. That's how we approach every game we play. I guess 200 can be a competitive score if you bowl and field well."
Zimbabwe captain Prosper Utseya on what a competitive score might be.

"We are all expecting it to be 3-0 if we play good cricket in all three departments. We will go into it match by match." Ashraful expects a clean sweep.

© Cricinfo
Old January 18, 2009, 12:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Its time for our tigers to show why there is a huge GAP between us and Zim.

Anything less than a big win is pathetic.
Old January 18, 2009, 12:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Bangladesh v Zimbabwe, 1st ODI, Mirpur

'I am worried about the batting' - Siddons

Cricinfo staff

Jamie Siddons, the Bangladesh coach, has singled out his team's batting as the main worry ahead of the three-ODI series against Zimbabwe, beginning in Mirpur on January 19. Bangladesh were bowled out for 152 in the tri-series final against Sri Lanka, and fell short chasing 205 in the first game against Zimbabwe. Their top-three batsmen managed only 46 runs between them in three games.

"We are not playing reckless shots any more and we are not losing wickets to bad shots. It is just that the boys are unable to find a way to score when the pressure is on them", Siddons said on the eve of the first ODI. "In the first game [against Zimbabwe] their spinners bowled in the right spots and our batsmen should have been smart enough to know how to score four runs an over under pressure. So that was a big learning curve. I am worried about our batting."

The opening partnership between Tamim Iqbal and Junaid Siddique failed to reach double figures in all three ODIs and Mushfiqur Rahim's promotion to No.3, after a good performance in the Tests, was a failure. Siddons said Ashraful might replace Mushfiqur at that position.

"The two guys at the top Tamim and Imroze [Junaid Siddique] haven't made runs for a while now and haven't put up a big score," Siddons said. "I can see how well they are practising and they are the two best guys for the job. No one has really put a hand up to take their spot. They are two talented youngsters who are going to do well in the future. We just got to persevere with them and if Ash [Mohammad Ashraful] starts to step up then the top four would look a lot better."

Zimbabwe's 38-run win upset Siddons but he felt his team was still adapting to the ODI format after a two-Test series against Sri Lanka. "We were really confident against Zimbabwe but the first game was a slip up. We were not ready for the tempo and momentum of one-day cricket. It is a faster pace and we needed to score quicker but our guys were in the mood of letting balls go.

"We picked ourselves up pretty fast and I didn't think we'd get the bonus point but we got that and in the final it was amazing. Everyone thought we had it and we did not do too much wrong but Murali took it from us."

Mohammad Ashraful, the Bangladesh captain, expected the top-order to come good and said he was looking forward to batting at No.3. "Here I would like to see a hundred in each match from one of the top-order batsmen and hopefully I will make runs too if I get going.

The reason I had opted to bat at No 4 was because I thought it was better for me if the ball was a bit older. But for the team combination I will bat at No 3 and I hope to make use of that opportunity."
Junaid is called Imroze?
Old January 18, 2009, 12:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
Its time for our tigers to show why there is a huge GAP between us and Zim.

Anything less than a big win is pathetic.
definetly because if we struggle against Zimbabwe, we cant move forward in international cricket. we have to destroy the Zimbabweans. i thought we did that a few years ago but batting is in such a slump that its really hard to predict what is really going to happen out in the middle
Old January 18, 2009, 12:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangla-red
Junaid is called Imroze?
i just figured that out a few seconds ago too.
Old January 18, 2009, 12:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Its time for the openers to put up a big score!