facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 20, 2014, 01:13 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default How important is self determination, really?

In light of the ongoing Massacre of Gaza, this thought popped into my mind. Palestinians have been stateless for over 60 years. How important is statehood and independence? Even with viable statehood, Palestine will have significant obstacles to overcome. Good governance is rare in the Muslim world. Internal politics between Fatah and more Islamist elements may even result in armed civil war. What good would it do to have peace with Israel and be at war amongst yourselves? Would a Palestinian state even make the average Palestinians life better, financially and security wise?

I feel that independence and autonomy are one of those sentimental things like "democracy". Every one throws around democracy as if its some magic pill. North Korea even has the word in their official name, DRK. Democracy doesn't guarantee prosperity, human rights, or basic needs. Similarly, does self determination always guarantee something better than colonialism or occupation?

Note: I am not downplaying Israel's brutal and illegal occupation or massacre of Palestinians, but asking a philosophical question instead.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old August 4, 2014, 11:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Self-determination and democracy are not the same thing.

Middle Eastern culture demands a strong leader, if democracy is something they want then it should be a gradual movement towards it, by its own people, not exported imposed ideals from the British and Americans.
Old August 4, 2014, 01:08 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

If the Palestine unite they wouldn't need any other forces to be liberated and PROSPER. The entire subcontinent united against British rule. The entire Bangladesh united under Pakistani rule. Unity can solve all problems. Even at this point we the Bangladeshis are not united thus can't solve any issues.

Unity is stronger than Democracy!! History teaches us that. However, putting off egos, and ambition is not a small task. It needs sacrifices that most people do not want to do.