facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 22, 2005, 12:14 AM
ODI Cricketer

Aftab may eventually turn out to be a good batsman but he failed miserably in all the games against Zimbabwe. I think the BD selectors (specifically Farrukh Ahmed) are clueless. When Rafiq+Mashraffe were dropped due to health issues, they should have chosen a seasoned all-rounder (Like MI Rana) and Hannan Sarker (sound batsman). I also think Talha Zubair would have done a better job than Nazmul Hossain.

Also, I don't understand why they did not bring Tapash earlier to bat. As usual, Tapash was in full command (a running machine) but he did not get the chance to get the job done on time.

Old January 22, 2005, 12:22 AM
ODI Cricketer

Laxman has a good technique otherwise he could not have scored 4 centuries against Australia( two in tests two in ODIs) in one tour last season.Do not tell me that the Australians can allow a batsman with poor technique to score so heavily against them.

As for Aftab, I think he suffers from the same problem as other BD batsmen viz. resting on his laurels after one good showing. The hunger for continuous success is missing in him as well as in his other batting colleagues.

Edited on, January 22, 2005, 5:24 AM GMT, by cricketfan.
Old January 24, 2005, 11:16 AM
Cricket Sage

Aftab for Vice Captain
Old January 24, 2005, 03:37 PM
Cricket Sage

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bashar was particularly worried about Aftab. ‘He is undoubtedly a talented batsman but his inconsistent form is definitely making the team suffer, I hope he will wake up to serve the team,’ concluded Bashar. source
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So it looks like, Aftab will be the next scape goat. I know Aftab is not performing well resently. But single-ing out one of the youngest member for the team's overall failure is not called leadership or wisdom by captain Bashar.

Edited on, January 24, 2005, 10:27 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old January 25, 2005, 03:11 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

At first, I came to this thread thinking to bash at Aftab (Aftab should be dropped blah blah blah) and now after reading Fazal's post, I'm feeling like bashing Bashar.

Anyway, I do think that our senior batsman are not guiding Aftab in the proper way as he should be guided, especially against Zimbabwe. I used to think the same way about Ashraful - Kapali when they first started their career. Now Ashraful-Kapali doesn't need guidence from other senior players in the middle; but it is Ashraful, Rajin, Bashar who needs to guide same aged, but inexperienced players like Nafees and Aftab.

But how is that possible (possible for Rajin to guide Aftab) when Rajin plays at the top order?

For me, the best solution at the moment, without harming anyone is dropping Aftab Ahmed down to number 6 or 7, (or the other way around - as in to promoting him to number 3).
Old January 25, 2005, 01:14 PM
Club Cricketer

Aftab will be scape goat?
that's so funny....
If somebody is considered scapegoat after failing 10 or more outings then what is there to say?
How about keeping Aftab in the team for the next 2 years for all the matches no matter how he performs? Let's gurantee his position ok? Let's just seal it down.
Someday he will play a good innings right? Lets hope for that. Let's make national team a place for Aftab to look for his form.
I never knew there is so much aftab sympathy floating around. God bless Aftab.
Old January 25, 2005, 01:38 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by scorpion32
Aftab will be scape goat?
that's so funny....

I never knew there is so much aftab sympathy floating around. God bless Aftab.
You are missing the point.

Aftab is not performing now, its plain and simple. If he is dropped I am not going to complain, so many of the fans here.

But as a Captain in press meeting, Bashar single-handedly picked up one of the newest member and say what he said for team’s failure, is not called leadership.

If he needed to be dropped, just drop him, there is no need to portray him as if he is the only reason for our failure.