facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 18, 2015, 05:56 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Default Support Taskin and Rubel with better fields

An earnest request to our captains in different formats. Have more faith in Rubel and Taskin. Don't go defensive if they concede two boundaries in one over. These guys are bowling top speeds with a lot of skill and control. Give them the slip, the short leg, if the opposition is 2 down put more than 1 slip, bring long off, long on up and challenge the batsman to hit these guys. Wickets will come! These two are our strike bowlers and can get us wickets at any stage. 4 catches went past the vacant slip cordon yesterday. Against a better team with experienced batting that lack of attacking intent could have cost us. In the end Taskin and Rubel got us breakthrough with their skills alone, without the support that could be provided by the appropriate field. Lets learn to go for the kill when we score such a mammoth total rather than playing the waiting game and hoping for the batsman to make the error. Australia, India and South Africa wont make the same mistake. Hell even Pakistan might not make the same mistake next game. #rant over

Old April 18, 2015, 06:24 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

True. I have faith in Mashrafe's field setting, but Shakib and Mushy need to be told by Hathuri I think.
Old April 18, 2015, 06:33 AM
Cricket Legend

And let them get a 4 or 5 wicket haul when they have the opportunity and done all the hard work! Let em have their glory, it ll only motivate them and make them hungry for more.
Old April 18, 2015, 09:21 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

কেনো ভাই বাকী বোলারদেরকে কি প্রতিপক্ষ ক্যাপ্টন সাপোর্ট দিবে ??

Depending on the match situation, all bowlers should get due support from the captain. Even after having 329 on board, if he goes defensive from 5/6 th overs, that's nonsense captaincy. He took away slips from the pacers too early and went into containing mode too early, that he also expressed in his interview, that we just had to contain....nope, any other team would have overtaken our total yesterday due to his containing strategy. I thought Shakib was a more aggressive captain, but these defensive attitude has sunk in so much in his brain, he I'm sure doesn't still appreciate our pacers much. That's why he also turned to part timers too early even without trying our main bowlers.

Mash is a far better captain than Shak. He understands both departments well. I will be pretty unhappy if Shakib gets captaincy after Mash...he just doesn't understand pace bowling. That's the reason he didn't bowl RUBEL his Quota against NZ in WC and we lost the match... He only understands SLAs & that one strategy that worked against NZ who doesn't play spin well. Not happy with Shaks captaincy at all.
Old April 18, 2015, 09:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Abul

Shakib is not an aggressive captain. Mash does give them slips. So no worries for ODIs. Mushfiq should be told the same for Tests.
Old April 18, 2015, 09:30 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

damn, I don't even know what long on & long off is.

Anyway I think MAsh does it best, Shakib does it from a spinner point de vue, under Sakib I don't see Rubel or Taskin improve much, but I'm hopeful abt MAsh's captaincy.
Old April 18, 2015, 09:56 AM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz

Mash is much more aggressive so pacers will be taking more wickets/get more chances so I'm hopeful.
Old April 18, 2015, 10:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Both Shakib and Mushy are very defensive. Honestly, I was shocked to see that at point Pakistan looked on course to chase down the total
Old April 18, 2015, 10:54 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

agree 100% with the opening post. I would love to see such field placement in tests especially.
Old April 18, 2015, 01:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Especially Taskin, can't count the number of times he missed out on wickets due to the absence of a slip during the CWC
Old April 18, 2015, 02:25 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

There are 2 main parts to field settings: save runs (A), get catches (B).

In terms of saving runs, field settings depends on bowler's strength and batmen's strong zones. To get catch, there are two factors too, planned (like short balls with fielder at square leg, slow balls with fielder at mid wicket, out swing and slip etc) or unplanned.

As you can see, it's gets like a chess board very soon. Of course, computer is there to assist with most cases, but that's not enough.

As a result reading the game state is very important. Making balance between saving runs and getting wicket is not always easy.

So, to me, the most important thing becomes the ability to calculate in your head, the risk vs reward of each pieces. That's not an easy thing to do. Some people are good at assessing risk vs reward, others are not. This has very little to do with technique itself. I think what Shakib does is puts less weight to reward and more to risk. But it's a natural instinct, this whole risk/reward thing. That's why some can be entrepreneur, others can't. Some can do good business others can't. I don't think there is any way to teach someone this.
Old April 18, 2015, 05:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Good thread! this goes for all FB's though not only Taskin and Rubel. I don't think India/SL have better FB's than these two (except Malinga). Other ones we have are also improving. A steady Mash, Al Amin or even Abul would do much better if they're given slip fielders in their first few overs.