facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 8, 2012, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Default Bangladesh Internet down after submarine cable cut

Bangladesh Internet down after submarine cable cut

Millions of Bangladeshis have been unable to use the Internet or suffered slow connections after a submarine cable was cut off the coast of Singapore, an official said Thursday

The damage to the SEA-ME-WE-4 cable disrupted Internet services across Bangladesh from Wednesday afternoon, affecting private users and businesses including the country's key garment export sector.

"It may take a week for the system to return to normalcy," Monwar Hossain, managing director of the Bangladesh Submarine Cable Company, which operates Bangladeshi segment of the submarine cable, told AFP.

He said the cause of the cut was not known and no other countries were affected.
"Bangladesh does not have an alternate submarine cable or any other connection," Hossain said, adding the connection was snapped 60 kilometres (40 miles) from the coast of Singapore.

Bangladesh, a country of 160 million people, has nearly seven million broadband Internet users.

"Almost all Bangladeshi Internet users are facing difficulties in accessing Internet or sending emails overseas," said Akhtaruzzaman Monju, president of Internet Service Providers Association of Bangladesh.

more

Old June 8, 2012, 12:54 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Indians

Imagine this happens in the US, then what happens? i mean ya ppl r going to suffer but what kind of actions are going to be taken?
Old June 8, 2012, 01:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerEz
Imagine this happens in the US, then what happens? i mean ya ppl r going to suffer but what kind of actions are going to be taken?
US is the internet. It's not like there is only one cable feeding everyone in the US. There are multiple redundancies over redundancies. You cut one, ten will rear it's head. Bad planning and incompetency in Bangladesh is why we still have one real connection to the rest of the world.
Old June 8, 2012, 01:19 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Indians

thnx....btw everything is bad planning in Bangladesh....look how they made their buildings, one little 5.5 earthquake and everything is gonna be gone!
Old June 8, 2012, 06:57 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Does this mean, VoIP calls (phone card from US) are down too?
Old June 8, 2012, 07:01 AM
Administrator

They still have the vsat. I did make a few VOIP calls today - no issues.
Old June 8, 2012, 12:02 PM

I figured sth like this was up on Wednesday. Was pinging sgix.sg, and wasnt getting any ping response. Ping response from OpenDNS server in US was around 1100ms+.
Old June 8, 2012, 01:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
US is the internet. It's not like there is only one cable feeding everyone in the US. There are multiple redundancies over redundancies. You cut one, ten will rear it's head. Bad planning and incompetency in Bangladesh is why we still have one real connection to the rest of the world.
Not quite, For Network planning purposes, we ususally render 9 is to 10 redundancy here in USA. That is for 9 links we have one redundancy. This usually goes for HLR-STP connection planning - which is the heart of the Wireless Infrastructure. For SDH-SONET we do the same. If less than 9 active links we do n+1 redundancy planning. The OSPF/IP Rerouting protocols should take care of the Layer2-3 rerouting. For disasters, we dispatch a team to bring about the network back on line. Our 5ESS switches were 99.9999% reliable. Even they had 1+1 redundancy planning. Our Verizon Network's 5ESS switch was still active on battery power during the 9-11 crisis. The switch was at the WTC Basement. For the Katrina Hurricane the Company created ad-hoc umbrella cells on fly-by helicopter. Usually the Core infrastructure is done by WDM (Wavelength Division Multiplexing) optical lines, with redundancy. The federation of carriers would kick in for disaster recovery, that is if ATT Core is okay and VZ core is not, then they would share the link for nation-wide coverage. Before trivestiture, ATT owned submarine cable division ships usually docked at Baltimore. You could see them before and after you entered the tunnel. Then they were bought by Tyco.

For some reason Sharks would like to chew those cables, perhaps they were annoyed or attracted by the frequencies in those cables. So the ships did have to be dispatched, and there were ripped cables found.

Last edited by zsayeed; June 8, 2012 at 03:57 PM..
Old June 8, 2012, 04:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
I figured sth like this was up on Wednesday. Was pinging sgix.sg, and wasnt getting any ping response. Ping response from OpenDNS server in US was around 1100ms+.
Interesting, the 1100 msec does seem like a vsat link. The Geostationary orbit is 35786 km; hence the round trip time just from propagation itself would be 2X(35786 km/3e5 km/sec) = 238 m-sec (one way, from you to the gateway); ping is round-trip, so multiply that with two for the reverse link: you->satellite->gateway->satellite->you = 500 m-sec from propagation delay alone. The rest of the 600 or so m-sec sounds like congestion from the FiFos of overloaded switches/routers in between.

Heavy Satellite RTT+Overloaded switches. Plus you should see some dropped packets as well.

PS: In-fact I am getting average 550 m-sec ping time to sgix.sg; that path/server is bad! I don't think I am going over satellite.
Unless, Singapore itself is severed from RoW. Which I doubt.

Last edited by zsayeed; June 8, 2012 at 10:40 PM..
Old June 8, 2012, 05:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Zsayeed bhai onek bolsen ektu rest nen bhai.. apni ekta weird manush.
Old June 8, 2012, 08:30 PM
Cricket Savant

^^heidai*

*Not to be confused with "heydey" as in "Gopal in his heydey dosh hari mishti shabar kore dite parto..."
Old June 8, 2012, 10:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

The internet here has turned really slow.
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old June 10, 2012, 02:15 AM
Cricket Savant

Any updates? Is BD internet up and running?

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old June 10, 2012, 10:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

Still pretty slow. I wonder what happened to that much talked about second submarine cable linking project???
Old June 10, 2012, 10:17 AM
Cricket Legend

This is the link that got severed - BD's only line: SEA-ME-WE-4. Redundancy on the line would not cut it. BD apparently is trying to get SEA-ME-WE-5 as well.

Apparently we built it! "The SEA-ME-WE 4 cable system was developed by a consortium of 16 telecommunications companies which agreed to construct the project on 27 March 2004.[2] Construction of the system was carried out by Alcatel Submarine Networks (now Alcatel-Lucent Submarine Networks, a division of Alcatel-Lucent) and Fujitsu.[2] The eighteen month construction project was completed on 13 December 2005 with a cost estimate of US$500 million.[2][4] Segment 1 construction, running 8,000 kilometres from Singapore to India, was done by Fujitsu, which also provided the submarine repeater equipment for Segment 4.[4]" - wiki
Old June 10, 2012, 01:37 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Any updates? Is BD internet up and running?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
This is the link that got severed - BD's only line: SEA-ME-WE-4. Redundancy on the line would not cut it. BD apparently is trying to get SEA-ME-WE-5 as well.

[snip]

Apparently we built it! "The SEA-ME-WE 4 cable system was developed by a consortium of 16 telecommunications companies which agreed to construct the project on 27 March 2004.[2] Construction of the system was carried out by Alcatel Submarine Networks (now Alcatel-Lucent Submarine Networks, a division of Alcatel-Lucent) and Fujitsu.[2] The eighteen month construction project was completed on 13 December 2005 with a cost estimate of US$500 million.[2][4] Segment 1 construction, running 8,000 kilometres from Singapore to India, was done by Fujitsu, which also provided the submarine repeater equipment for Segment 4.[4]" - wiki
oh what i have done...

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old June 11, 2012, 02:26 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Things are working fine since this morning.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 11, 2012, 05:03 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Any1 who gives his best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
oh what i have done...
You are a teaser! you can bring the best out of anyone. hopefully :p

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)