facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old March 30, 2007, 12:26 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

that was a great video in the opening post......shanti pailam deikha

SHABBA!!

Old March 30, 2007, 12:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

t minus 20 hours...

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 30, 2007, 01:13 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Shock defeat does not haunt Australian captain

Ponting not worried about Bangladesh upset

March 30, 2007

Ricky Ponting has insisted Australia's shock defeat to Bangladesh two years ago won't be a factor when the two sides meet on Saturday in Antigua.

Australia, unbeaten in World Cup matches since their 1999 group match against Pakistan, are favourites to win the Super Eights clash. However, Bangladesh beat them by five wickets at Cardiff in 2005 led by a 101-ball 100 by Mohammad Ashraful. Before that game Andrew Symonds had been dropped from the Australian side after a late-night drinking session and Ponting said lessons from the extraordinary reverse had long since been learnt.

"We've worked it out. A lot's been said about it already," said Ponting. "It's long gone and forgotten about as far as we are concerned. We just didn't play at our best that day and there was a bit of other stuff happening around the ground.

"I had a few things on my mind during the course of the day. We lost that game, Bangladesh played well, we made a lot of mistakes and hopefully we are a better team tomorrow than we were on that day. I think we are.

"The cricket you've seen us play the last few weeks would indicate that tomorrow, the way we are going at the moment, that we should be able to play cricket good enough to win this game. That's all we've been focused on the last couple of days.

"We played a very good game against South Africa , an excellent game against West Indies . We feel we are very well prepared, we've played a game here we should know these conditions pretty well."

Australia beat South Africa by 83 runs and West Indies by 103 runs and have posted a record-total of 300 plus scores six times in a row.

Bangladesh beat India in the group stage and are no longer considered minnows by the rest of the teams including Australia. "They are in the Super Eights part of the World Cup tournament so you have to pay them the attention they deserve. We have spoken about it. They've probably used the minnow tag very well in their favour. I think they are actually a bit better than that.

"They have improved a lot, there's no doubt about that. They almost beat us in a Test match when we went straight there after South Africa last year. They've got some young players who are very capable on their day and we have prepared for them as we would a South Africa, a West Indies or a New Zealand game.

"We've seen some good young talent come out of Bangladesh and hopefully they continue to improve - just not tomorrow."

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc20...ry/288057.html
Old March 30, 2007, 01:19 PM
Club Cricketer

Now that you have proved that you are no longer a minnow its time to show your class in super 8 . Can BD repeat what Kenya and Zim did in the past, i.e qualify for semis?? Best of luck to Bangla Boys, but probably Aussies are just too much for you guys.Honestly, I will be looking into the margin of defeat.
Old March 30, 2007, 01:23 PM
Cricket Sage

this is our 153rd ODI...but the first of its kind...we have begun a new era

just like our first ICC game in 79, ODI in 86, WC 99, Test in 00, now super 8 in 07...

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 30, 2007, 01:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir/Taskin/Anamul/Sohag

Shahadat is included in the 12 men squad.

May be russel will have to make way for the quickest b'deshi bowler. well, when in-form, this guy can pose threats to any, i mean any, batsman in the world.

SR or SH?

Tallest of all bdeshi cricketers- a distinct advantage for a quickie, SH has been often regarded as our answer to Lee and Shoaib co. But, with little experience and injury prone physique, SH often failed to deliver the goods. Still he could force a place in the team whenever he is fit. In the test matches, he became an automatic choice but in ODIs where control and containment happen to be the prime, if not only, quality, he struggled right from the beginning. That paved way for Mr. Syed Russel, our version of Wasim Akram. Fore years, we have magnified our view trying to discover incoming deliveries from our left arm seamers, Manjurul, Bhikash, Anis, Morshed Ali Sumon and whoever came along with no result. And then came.... SR. this guy can move the ball either way, at will... he can drop the ball at suitable, if not perfect, places. Close to Six feet, his height too is not something which we can rue about. He lacks only one thing.... PACE!!!! International Batsmen are smart enough to come down the wicket and smother his would-be-swinging deliveries and smack him allover the ground. Agt stonger opposition, BD has always been looking for a better proposition who can keep the batsmen on the backfoot. Shahadat Hossain is the obvious answer.
And how did he respond to our WC expectations? He got battered in all four matches leading to the WC, that too agt weaker oppositions.
Result?
We fell back on SR. But he is someone whom the team do not trust for slog overs and playing with only two seamers, BD attack becomes too much spin dominated and wily opponents will hardly give us that much respect that we are used to against minnows. (If only Aftab could bowl half as good as he is capable of, half of our mid-over problems would have been solved)
Tapash?
Oh yes! Tapash is there. But at this point, we are not in a position to discuss possibilities of a bowler who still has an economy rate of 5.6 rpo.
Solution?
Ultimate solution is SH. With news from the Carribean claiming his improved and encouraging showing in the nets, axe may again fall on SR...
This is BD team now-a-days. You do not lose your place for not being in-form. The same happens if a better option is available.
Old March 30, 2007, 01:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
Now that you have proved that you are no longer a minnow its time to show your class in super 8 . Can BD repeat what Kenya and Zim did in the past, i.e qualify for semis?? Best of luck to Bangla Boys, but probably Aussies are just too much for you guys.Honestly, I will be looking into the margin of defeat.
bravo!!!!
these are remnants of past. We don't mind. Winning has become more of a habit of BD now-a-days. Still we have ppl who would find it very hard to expect a win from this young team.
Thank god! Tamim and Sakibs do not, i hope, see these...
They might have changed public opinion abt BD ckt, but some just prefer to be skeptic...
AUSSIES are a too difficult side to beat.... but there is no point thinking abt thinking of margin of defeat even now...
Tail of domestic animal will never straighten doesn't matter how hard one would try...
Old March 30, 2007, 02:21 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible
How many matches do Bangladesh have to win to get into the semis?
they should win 4 games to qualify semis
Old March 30, 2007, 02:28 PM
Club Cricketer

hablu urr aro aggressive captain hoaa uchit naile match jithaa jai naa r second power play ta shathe shathe naa diaa hotath kore match maskhaan diaa sile aro bhalo hobe amer mothe cuz aktaana dile batsman ra thokhon akta slog er flow te thake n run utai fale beshi but pore hotath dile flow ante antei 3 over chole jaabe.

inshallah kaalke BD fatabe puraa
Old March 30, 2007, 02:35 PM
Cricket Legend

If we beat Aus, NZ and SA our first 3 matches, then it will be easy for us in the next three matches to secure our spot for the semis. So we should take this opportunity we have with the match schedule.
Old March 30, 2007, 02:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadhat
they should win 4 games to qualify semis
BD has more to achieve from just getting into semis.
Definitely, semi final qualification will act as answer to thousands of questions.
But our very 1st objective should be to put up such a show in the next six matches that BD can bury stupid questions from stupid buggers all over the world abt our ability...
Old March 30, 2007, 02:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrounder
If we beat Aus, NZ and SA our first 3 matches, then it will be easy for us in the next three matches to secure our spot for the semis. So we should take this opportunity we have with the match schedule.
with Aus & NZ in sublime form, we may target SA among the big fishes. WI has a tendency to cave in every now and then. Eng are far away from their best form. Ire should not be big threat either....
Well, to be one of the top 4 in the world, we must be able to do that. There is no back door towards the semis just like indians pinned their hope on Ber to get into the s8 the other day.
Old March 30, 2007, 02:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Bashar:

"Sometimes when you play a team like India, if you think too much, plan too much, it is not going to happen. It's better to go out there with a positive mind and play whatever you can. Don't think too much, that's what we're planning to do."

And he said he'd be happy to see the likes of Iqbal going down the pitch to take on Australia fast bowler Glenn McGrath. "I hope so. That's what we're banking on."

Is this you hit I miss strategy what we should be trying in our path to become an elite cricket team?
Old March 30, 2007, 02:45 PM
Cricket Sage

3 pacers might work also...certain teams (NZ, SA, WI, ENG) are weak against spin and for them we need 3 spinners...but for australia...i would accept any attack i.e. they all seem (at the moment) equally attractive or not.

3 pacer
3 spinner

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 30, 2007, 02:50 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Good luck Tigers.
Old March 30, 2007, 02:59 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
3 pacers might work also...certain teams (NZ, SA, WI, ENG) are weak against spin and for them we need 3 spinners...but for australia...i would accept any attack i.e. they all seem (at the moment) equally attractive or not.

3 pacer
3 spinner
then.... kaake baaad diben?? 3 pacer r 3 spinner jodi nei..then ekta batsman ke baad dite hobe... but kaake?? bashar?
Old March 30, 2007, 03:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Nope it will be Razzak to be sidelined and give way to Shahadat.
Old March 30, 2007, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

why sideline razzak? he did pretty well when australia visited bangladesh. i don't see why razzak should take the chop, especially when his bowling's so different from that of shahadat. i'm not too sure i want to see shahadat in the eleven, but if he has to play it has to be at the expense of rasel.
Old March 30, 2007, 03:04 PM
Cricket Legend

We cannot sacrifice our batmen because even with the current batting lineup, we are unable to score 250 against the big teams. But in these batting pitch, whoever bowls short will get hit, ball has to be pitched in good line and length, have to pitch up and give hardly any width.
Old March 30, 2007, 03:09 PM
Test Cricketer

The play might be interrupted due to inclement weather, so I don't see that much hope of even including superstar pacer or superstar SLA. Can we check them and their runs thats matter most. I see atleast one pacer and two spinner, on the verge, of giving away 60+ runs on their quota.
Old March 30, 2007, 03:24 PM
Club Cricketer

I really wish BD does not play like Ireland in the super 8 stage and make this world cup a dull game of cricket to watch. Really they need to prove themselves they are not a minnow in super 8 stage and look towards giving a fight to other teams than just winning against Ireland. Serioulsy, cricket will be a big loser otherwise in WC 07.
Old March 30, 2007, 03:41 PM
Club Cricketer

As I mentioned before on other thread that we all know how strong the Aussie is. I am not expecting a win against them from tomorrow's game. As long as, our players show a good fight; I am happy with it. However, since cricket is a unpredictable game so anything could happen. At last, wishing good luck for our BD team.
Old March 30, 2007, 04:00 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Cricinfo's Andrew Miller previews the match :

Quote:
The Bangladesh squad is a picture of contentment at present. Nothing and no-one can rattle their sense of pride, achievement, and belonging, as they prepare to embark on their biggest adventure of all. If you saw the squad members milling around their hotel lobby, or sheltering from the rain on the steps of their dressing-room, you'd hardly imagine that the triple World Champions, Australia, are lying in wait for them tomorrow.
Read more >>

Also, here's a detailed report on Ponting's take for tomorrow's match.
Old March 30, 2007, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

confidence can do wonders. while i am completely aware of the situation in hand (australia being invincible at the moment, and taking this game seriously), it isn't going to prevent me from dreaming big tomorrow. in the end, however, results are secondary, and i am proud of our cricketers for having brought us so far in this competition.
Old March 30, 2007, 04:41 PM
ODI Cricketer

Was there a possibility for Bangladesh to win against Ind. I don't think so. Still we won the match just because of our self beliefe and determination. We can do that again.
The prability is almost the same here. If we count it by all the stats then it might be like 1 in 20 against Ind and 1 in 22 aginst Aus. Is there any difference that can make someone not hopeful if you were hopeful against them.

Lets not die before our death.