facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old September 25, 2007, 07:09 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta
Default Rakib gets FIDE approval of GM title!

Congrates to our fourth GM- Abdullah Al Rakib

Rakib gets FIDE approval of GM title

Tue, Sep 25th, 2007 (bdnews24.com)— Abdullah Al Rakib has been officially announced as a Grandmaster by the World Chess Federation (FIDE).

The third quarter presidential board meeting of the FIDE, held on September 13-14 in Mexico, approved Rakib's Grandmaster title, and the FIDE Elishta (Russia) office Tuesday confirmed it to the Bangladesh Chess Federation.

Rakib is now the country's fourth Grandmaster after GM Niaz Murshed (1987), GM Ziaur Rahman (2002) and GM Reefat Bin Sattar (2006).

"I went to meet with coach Igor Rausis Tuesday and heard the news from the office secretary of the chess federation," Rakib told bdnews24.com, adding that he felt good.

"I knew it would be approved by FIDE sometime, and I was not nervous," said the 26-year old chess player of Bangladesh Biman.

Rakib earned his third GM norm from National Chess Championship in April in 2007, his second norm from Leonine Grandmasters Chess tournament in Dhaka in 2004 and the first norm from 2nd Asian Individual Chess Championship in Kolkata in 2001.

Source

Old September 25, 2007, 07:20 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

That's a great news. Congrats to Rakib.
Old September 27, 2007, 03:08 AM
Cricket Guru

Rakib determined to scale new heights
Source: New Age,Dhaka

Raihan Mahmood
Abdullah Al Rakib, the fourth Grand Master of the country, is determined to scale new heights in chess. Rakib, who was confirmed as a Grandmaster by FIDE on Tuesday, categorically said he is ready to explore the unexplored horizon but he needs some support that is more than essential for a chess player of this part of the world.
Rakib, born on December 2, 1980, joins the elite list of Grand Masters of the country after Niaz Murshed, Ziaur Rahman and Reefat Bin Sattar who earned their titles in 1987, 2002 and 2006 respectively.
World Chess Federation (FIDE) at its third quarterly presidential board meeting in Mexico City on September 13 and 14 awarded him the game’s highest position. FIDE Elishta (Russia) conveyed the news to the Bangladesh Chess Federation.
‘I am happy to reach my goal. I firmly believed that I could reach the top, I worked hard to achieve it and feel proud to bring a laurel for the country,’ said Rakib.
Rakib, who resides in Narayanganj, earned his first norm at the 2nd Asian Individual Championship in Kolkata in 2001, the second from the Leonine Chess Club GM tournament in Dhaka and the third and final norm at the 33rd National Chess Championships, also held in Dhaka this year.
Rakib considers himself as a true professional chess player. ‘I have left my studies for the sake of chess, chess is my only obsession, being the Grand Master certainly boosts my motivation to go further,’ said Rakib.
But the new GM at the same time is apprehensive of the future of chess. ‘In our country chess players cannot earn their bread and butter by playing the game. Look at my predecessors, they failed to stay on the track firmly due to lack of support. I don’t know about my fate but definitely I look forward to going further. As long as I enjoy the game I will continue moving the pawns, queens and rooks,’ said Rakib.
Rakib is a believer in hard work and has a very clear idea on his own abilities and weaknesses. ‘In the tough world of top class chess, practice and exposure are the only ways to flourish. I definitely have some weaknesses, playing more international tournaments with top-grade players and some intensive training are required to improve upon the current level,’ said Rakib.
‘We need sponsors and support from the government to go up, I strongly believe one day the situation will change. If India can excel in chess why can’t we? I see a lot of potential players in the country,’ opined the new Grand Master.

Last edited by Nocturnal; October 2, 2007 at 10:15 PM..
Old September 27, 2007, 04:27 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Congratulations Rakib. Hopefully he will bring more glories for Bangladesh.
Old September 27, 2007, 06:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Ah, the second chess Grandmaster from Bangladesh who is not from my school. Niaz and Reefat were Josephites.
Old September 27, 2007, 07:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Congratulations to Rakib. He is so committed to chess, deserves every bit of it.....
Old September 29, 2007, 12:56 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: আশরাফুল

দারুন খবর।
Old September 29, 2007, 06:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Congratulations to Rakib. It's really a long wait(as long as 6 month) to get approved
Old October 2, 2007, 10:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Chess coach

Bangladesh's Latvian chess coach Grandmaster Igor Rousis moves a piece on the board to show his students GM Ziaur Rahman (L), IM Enamul Hossain Rajib (2nd R) and GM Abdullah Al Rakib (R) a trick of the trade during a training session at the Bangladesh Chess Federation yesterday. Zia and Rajib will represent Bangladesh in the World Cup Chess in Siberia next month. Photo: STAR

Old October 2, 2007, 10:37 PM
Cricket Legend

bapre, latvian grandmaster.... coaching for chess WC in SIBERIA..... hebby bepar dekhi.....

nice find Nocturnal bhai......
Old October 2, 2007, 10:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Congrats to Rakib!!!
Old October 7, 2007, 03:31 AM
Cricket Guru

I jave just read an interesting article about our new GM-Rakib. It's a prothom-alo link so wouldn't work tomorrow .
http://www.prothom-alo.com/fcat.news...10-07&fid=Ng==

off topic: when I copy and paste from prothom-alo it's looks like this, does anyone know the fix, it's fine when I open prothom-alo website in my firefox or IE.
গઝઘাਫমাઍটার হেয়েছন কিদন অােগ৷ োসিট োতা তঁার অােগই হেয়েছন বাংলােদেশর িতন দাবাড়ઓ৷ তেব একটা জায়গায় অাবদઓলઇাহ অাল রািকব ੂধઓ দাবায় নয়, বাংলােদেশর ਠઙীড়াਔেনই বઘিতਠઙম৷ োসই বઘিতਠઙমী রািকেবর সেਔই পিরচয় কিরেয় িদে੧ছন মাসઓদ অালম