facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 21, 2013, 08:37 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim
Default Graeme Swann retires from all forms of cricket!

"I could have made myself available for the last two Tests and maybe had a bit of a send-off from the Barmy Army. But that's no reason to hang on for two more games. I like to be the centre of attention -- but for the right reason by winning games of cricket."

Swann reportedly told his team-mates and coach Andy Flower of his decision at a practice session in Melbourne ahead of the Boxing Day Test, which starts on Thursday. He will leave the game as England's second-leading spinner behind Derek Underwood, who took 297 Test wickets.

"I hoped that form and fitness might allow me a crack at Underwood's record but that pales into insignificance after losing the Ashes," Swann said. "If I carried on playing just to try to beat individual records, I'd have become the kind of player I have always hated."

In an official statement released by the ECB, Swann said his decision had been made "after a great deal of consideration".

"This decision has been very difficult seeing as the England team has been my family for seven years now, but I feel that now is the right time to step down," Swann said. "I don't regret a single day of my career. Every high has been celebrated with verve and vigour and every low painfully accepted as a chance to learn and improve.

"My personal highlights include the three Ashes victories, of which I will cherish for the rest of my life, and the World T20 victory in the West Indies which ranks as my limited overs highlight. I have met, played with and against, and become friends with some magnificent people throughout my journey and feel truly privileged to have been given these opportunities.

"I'd also like to pay tribute to both Northamptonshire County Cricket Club for giving me my grounding in the game and Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club for turning me into the cricketer I wanted to be. Two Championship titles and my maiden one day final victory with the Outlaws are also achievements of which I am immensely proud.

"With two games to go in Australia and then a fiercely competitive summer against Sri Lanka and India I feel that it is a great time for someone else to strap themselves in and hopefully enjoy the ride as much as I have.
Graeme Swann, the England offspinner, has retired from all international cricket and first-class cricket with immediate effect.

Swann, 34, will not play in the final two Tests of the Ashes tour and will finish his career with 255 wickets at 29.96 from his 60 Tests. However, on a disappointing tour of Australia in which England have gone down 3-0 after the first three Tests, Swann has been one of the senior players who has failed to have an impact and has managed only seven wickets at 80.

"I came to Australia in the hope of winning our fourth Ashes series on the trot but that's now impossible," Swann, a regular columnist with the Sun, said in the paper. "So it's time for someone else to buckle in and enjoy the ride.
"Finally I'd like to thank all my England team mates for their non-stop support and camaraderie and of course wish Andy Flower and Alastair Cook all the success in the world for the future. First and foremost I am a fervent England fan at heart."

Flower said: "Graeme Swann has made an outstanding contribution to the England cricket team in all formats throughout an incredibly successful career and I would like to congratulate him on all that he has achieved. His commitment, competitive spirit and sense of humour have been recognised and admired by team mates and supporters alike and he has played a big part in England's success over the last five years. The dressing room will be a very different place without Graeme's unique personality and I would like to wish him all the very best for the future."

As well as his Test appearances, Swann will depart with 104 wickets from 79 one-day internationals and 51 wickets from 39 Twenty20 internationals. He has not ruled out the possibility of playing in the IPL.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashe...ry/702897.html

Respect to Swann. As a senior member of the team, he took the responsibility of the failure of his team rather than blaming on others. By no means was his slot under threat as he is still one of the best spinner in the world right now. He had a splendid career and will be remembered.

To some of our players, Shikho or kas theke...... kibhabe nijer bhul shikar kore, kibhabe nisharthohin bhabe desher jonno khelte....

Bye Swann!

Old December 21, 2013, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Hats off to Swann. He was one of the current bests. Good bloke!
Old December 21, 2013, 10:52 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

wonder who will be the next long term spinner for England. monty is still only 31 but he averages over 34 from 49 tests and has a strike rate in the mid 70s i really think they should be looking for someone better long term.

swann will be a difficult player to replace, world class spinner, good slipper, can bat.
Old December 22, 2013, 08:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

this is an overall difference between people of subcontinent & the Occidentaux , they know when to retire unlike us who push it too far.
They accept their mistakes and they know how to move on, we never accept our mistakes , instead criticize or blame others.
Look at our politicians, they will do politics untill their death, but the politicians from developped countries will not be seen much once they are not in power.

My respect to Swann.(although I wish he took a break & return, he is not old & has a lot more to give)
Old December 22, 2013, 01:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

I wish he finished the series out but it's his choice in the end. Still he's finished out as a great bowler for England and will be really missed.

I guess Monty is the best option in the short term but no doubt that's a big drop in quality. I wonder who will be the long term solution.
Old December 22, 2013, 04:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

yeah i don't like it when players retire mid series, either play the whole tour or don't play at all. damien martyn did the same thing.
Old December 23, 2013, 09:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Pretty spineless to retire during midseries, whoever you are.
Old December 23, 2013, 09:52 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
Pretty spineless to retire during midseries, whoever you are.
He has done a Rokibul.
Old December 23, 2013, 10:38 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier

Maybe Pietersen and Prior should retire... Both absolutely a unreliable as you could find as a batsman doing the rounds in international cricket right now.

Swann wasn't playing bad enough to retire. He could have just sat the last two matches out if short on confidence and try again in the next series. He was sensational in the last Ashes series only a few months ago.
Old December 24, 2013, 05:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahaz
Maybe Pietersen and Prior should retire... Both absolutely a unreliable as you could find as a batsman doing the rounds in international cricket right now.

Swann wasn't playing bad enough to retire. He could have just sat the last two matches out if short on confidence and try again in the next series. He was sensational in the last Ashes series only a few months ago.
Pietersen is still a match winner and has few years left in him I guess.
Old December 24, 2013, 01:48 PM
Cricket Guru

This guy, retires midway through the most important series for England, then has the audacity to take some cheap shots at his team mates. I'm suspecting there is more to this than just him feeling its 'time to call it quits'. He's only 34 and could have gone on for longer and still is one of the best spinners in the world, and just had one bad series. If he ends up writing an autobiography we might know then.