facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 10, 2008, 03:32 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default BCCI - Make betting legal

What can I say, these board members at BCCI have no care for the game. Money is the only thing they know. Mr. Indrajit Bindra a SENIOR member has asked the Indian Govt. to legalize gambling. Where is his morals? There are other ways of stopping match fixing. and what makes him so sure that legalizing gambling can erade match fixing or corruption?

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=31704
Cricket

Make betting legal: Bindra

Reuters, Mumbai

Senior Indian cricket board official Inderjit Bindra has called for the government to legalise betting in the country to help rid match-fixing and corruption in the sport.

"When you regulate betting and the government controls it, you have better control and supervision over match-fixing," Bindra told Reuters on Thursday. "Have everything above the surface, that's better."

India, which is the financial powerhouse of the sport, has been at the centre of several match-fixing and illegal gambling scandals after several prominent players were named in an Indian federal police investigation into match-fixing in 2000.

In 2007, West Indies batsman Marlon Samuels faced an investigation from his national board over alleged links with a bookmaker during a one-day tour of India.

Old April 10, 2008, 03:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

valoi hobe!! BCCI will fix the match then. first round theke out hoar sob rasta bondo!
What next????
Old April 10, 2008, 04:04 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
What can I say, these board members at BCCI have no care for the game. Money is the only thing they know. Mr. Indrajit Bindra a SENIOR member has asked the Indian Govt. to legalize gambling. Where is his morals? There are other ways of stopping match fixing. and what makes him so sure that legalizing gambling can erade match fixing or corruption?

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=31704
Cricket

Make betting legal: Bindra

Reuters, Mumbai

Senior Indian cricket board official Inderjit Bindra has called for the government to legalise betting in the country to help rid match-fixing and corruption in the sport.

"When you regulate betting and the government controls it, you have better control and supervision over match-fixing," Bindra told Reuters on Thursday. "Have everything above the surface, that's better."

India, which is the financial powerhouse of the sport, has been at the centre of several match-fixing and illegal gambling scandals after several prominent players were named in an Indian federal police investigation into match-fixing in 2000.

In 2007, West Indies batsman Marlon Samuels faced an investigation from his national board over alleged links with a bookmaker during a one-day tour of India.
Tigers eye, were quick to pounce on this piece of news (if true ..never heard of Daily star)but you failed to catch the obvious that betting has been legal in England the harbinger of Cricket for some time.Ever tried Betfair (or someother sites ..dont remember the name).Infact Betting is done even in local clubs of England and Australia (yes even Australia, another protector of World cricket from the evil BCCI)

If anything India (or BCCI) has saved the 'sanctity' (sic**) of cricket for years by not making betting legal.

The reason that India does not make betting legal is purely religious.According to Islam betting is illegal and hence the law ...

Hail BCCI (India) for protecting the scanctity of Cricket, hope the other countries help it through (read BD,Pak and SL)

Hail BCCI
Old April 10, 2008, 04:43 PM
Test Cricketer

Spot on Bharat. Some people just jump at everything India does and try to find an evil angel with a magnifying glass.
Old April 10, 2008, 04:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

My respected friends from India,
1) Daily Star is Bangladesh's one of the most sold English papers. (They are not tabloids) I consider them a good source. I think 99% of bangladeshi BC members will agee with me.

2) Gambling is legal in many places in US, England and many other western countries. Some Asian countries may also have them legalized. However, I would not want India or any other country to pick up this bad habit to defuse another problem. Gambling will make many hard working people broke in matter of days. Mr. Bindra had no business asking Govt. of India to legalize gambling.

Sorry Surfer,
I had said nothing about India. Mr. Bindra is a senior BCCI official and a powerful one. Please, it would help if you reread my openning post. Do not try to attack the messenger. That will take you no where.

Do some more query on Reuter, Mumbai.
Old April 10, 2008, 05:01 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

And Some Indians just jump at everything that has India in it without reading the whole thing
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 10, 2008, 05:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
My respected friends from India,
1) Daily Star is Bangladesh's one of the most sold English papers. (They are not tabloids) I consider them a good source. I think 99% of bangladeshi BC members will agee with me.

2) Gambling is legal in many places in US, England and many other western countries. Some Asian countries may also have them legalized. However, I would not want India or any other country to pick up this bad habit to defuse another problem. Gambling will make many hard working people broke in matter of days. Mr. Bindra had no business asking Govt. of India to legalize gambling.

i.
Sorry abt Daily Star ..lack of knowledge here ...

But your point abt BCCI ..I am confused...I thought you attacked BCCI but anyways.

Gambling is a moral issue that plagues the Indian govt.I guess it is stuck in the limbo in here, it can neither control the illegal betting nor look away from the riches that gambling would generate.

My personal take ...India needs to go slow on legalizing gambling , needs to get people out of poverty, lest the poor might fall into ways of gambling..but again how about high stake gambling ( with high premiums so that the poor cannot afford it) and use the revenues for the poor ...hmm now I am really confused.

P.S- tigers_eye what abt your avatar ..is that Ash being bowled or is it Aftab? I am ok if it is Aftab but if it is Ash ..then ... how can you ..how can you?
Old April 10, 2008, 10:32 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Legalized gambling should take care of or at least minimize match fixing in cricket. The new era of high priced professionals for IPL should also deter a player from match fixing. Gambling will always be there. It exists in every society. Why not make it legal and govt should benefit from increased tax revenues. If a person has gambling issues, then he has to sort it out for himself and its not any gov't job if one can't control their own impulsions.
Old April 11, 2008, 04:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat
P.S- tigers_eye what abt your avatar ..is that Ash being bowled or is it Aftab? I am ok if it is Aftab but if it is Ash ..then ... how can you ..how can you?
its our beloved ash
Old April 12, 2008, 01:00 AM
Test Cricketer

There are certain evil that must be given space......thats how law enforcement has worked always. If you dont give the pigs some dirty gutter to live in, they will start dirtying clean places. Thats how police deals with prostitution all around the world. Thats why gambling is allowed in most places.
Old April 12, 2008, 01:56 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer
There are certain evil that must be given space......thats how law enforcement has worked always. If you dont give the pigs some dirty gutter to live in, they will start dirtying clean places. Thats how police deals with prostitution all around the world. Thats why gambling is allowed in most places.
Unfortunately, the difference between the west and Subcontinent is in the law enforcement & non transparency at every level.

here both will continue; like there will be gutters for pigs & at the same time they will also make the other places dirty, There is a place for prostitution and there is prostitution in every place etc etc

So if some one thinks that, legalizing betting will stop illegal bettings, they are dreaming, infact both will continue. So by legalizing betting, India will only help to strengthen it.

You can't stop wrong doings by permitting to do something wrong. I don't know how far even west was successful on this principal. Have they stopped prostitution or spread it further by legalizing it?
Old April 13, 2008, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat
Oh so all you come here for is talking about India then, eh? I see you haven't been to the Bangladesh Cricket forum in a long time.

I'm just kidding. This is what it's all about: http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=26414

So join in!
Old April 13, 2008, 03:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

I am eagerly awaiting the day when BCCI takes the initiative to make BATTING illegal, so that T20 style slogging is all there is.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old April 13, 2008, 03:46 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Takar gorom TE bhai......