facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports > FIFA World Cup Soccer 2014 (Archive)

Old June 11, 2014, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Default FIFA WC Soccer 2014 , GROUP A (Brazil, Mexico, Croatia, Cameroon): All previews, reviews and matches thread

Old June 12, 2014, 12:30 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin
Default Brazil versus Croatia

The quest begins with the hosts taking on Croatia. Brazil's under a lot of pressure to win it all and do it in style. I think they're more than capable of handling all that especially at home. That said, I have no idea how they'll start the tournament. Can't peak too soon but still gotta make your fans everywhere feel comfortable about your chances. I see a somewhat cautious approach with Brazil winning 2-0 with Neymar scoring at least one of those.

Team Profile: BRAZIL

Team Profile: CROATIA
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 12, 2014, 04:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

I like Brazil but i want the World Cup to start off with an upset and i think the Croats are more than capable of pulling it off. If the two Croatian maestros Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic can pull the strings in the midfield then i can see Croatia having the momentum in the game and also if Mandzukic can impose a threat in the box then don't count out Croatia. However Brazil might just have too much strike power up front with Fred and Neymar. To me i think Fred is one of the most underrated footballers in the world. His positioning and finishing in front of goal is second to none.
Old June 12, 2014, 05:09 PM
Cricket Savant

Good game! It's always good when Brazil goes down a goal early. That wakes them up and they stop effing around. You see the rhythmic wrath of Brazil as they come at you in waves with skilled players with lethal finishing prowess.

The penalty was very iffy. I would not have given it. But Brazil deserved to win anyway. Oscar was the best player on the pitch and Neymar, although he scored a goal and an penalty goal, was off. The weight on his passes was off as was the timing. Tragic, really, for player whose pace and skillset get him in all kinds of great positions to create goals for others. Hope he gets better with time in this tournament. When he does, he's the complete forward who also plays defense and wins balls. A complete player with astonishing accuracy in everything including vision.

Luiz was solid in front of Cesar who made some clutch saves. Marcelo's defensive limitations make him awfully close to being a defensive liability. Alves was ineffective and the Croats never even tried to seriously challenge Thiago Silva's perimeter. Good start MashAllah! One down six to go. Viva Brasil.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 12, 2014, 06:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Marcelo has always been a defensive liability. It's because he gets forward so much he almost plays like a winger.
Old June 12, 2014, 08:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Dani Alves was terrible: I don't mind the Brazilian wingbacks attacking, this has always been their forte; but Alves's crosses never found the strikers, and his moving froward left defensive gaps which moved Thiago Silva out of position. Personally, I'd like to see how Maicon does in his position.

Hulk rarely did anything of note. I'd like to see Willan or Bernard sub for him.

Paulinho was largely static in the midfield.

And Fred, of course, deserves an Oscar.

Let's hope all this was nerves; largely the same team played much better in the Confederations Cup, and will hopefully improve as we go further into the tournament.
Old June 12, 2014, 09:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Needs to get their defense sorted out, the Croats were able to penetrate it at ease many times in the match.
Old June 13, 2014, 12:35 AM
Cricket Savant

Having lived in California most of my life, I feel very close to Mexico. A country I've been blessed to visit to many times and absolutely love. The Aztecas have been getting stronger over the years and may emerge as genuine contenders during this World Cup, provided their strikers can bury whatever chances created by their excellent holding midfield. Finishing issues have plagued them in past World Cups. It would be nice to see them in the semis but I won't bet on it. Cameroon have quality and flair but often lack the cohesion of teams like Ghana and Ivory Coast. I see them losing this one 2-1.

Team Profile: MEXICO

Team Profile: CAMEROON
Old June 13, 2014, 01:12 PM
Cricket Savant

Good win by our Azteca brothers south of the border. What a clutch save from Ochoa to deliver this win. What a moronic miss from Hernandez. Way too close than this game needed to be. They better get better.

That said, they were organized and played beautifully. Layun has last pass issues but I loved his runs and hussle. Actually the whole team worked really hard. Dos Santos had a great game. Eto'o didn't. He still has the vision and knows what to do, but sadly lacks the pace or the shot he used to in his peak. Moukandjo (8) was impressive for Cameroon but they clearly lack the team cohesion other effective players like Assou-Ekotto (2) are used to at the club level. Sad to see them decline like this.

Last edited by Sohel; June 13, 2014 at 11:44 PM..
Old June 13, 2014, 02:19 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib

Good win by Mexico! They should have won with even bigger margin, referring hasn't been good so far. I'm glad Brazil made it through the first game ok. Not great, but much worse has happened to other favorite teams in the opening match. And Crotaia maybe the most powerful challenge they will face in group match. Mexico now has a good chance of advancing if they can hold off the Croatian attack. Should be an interesting match!
Old June 17, 2014, 01:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Brazil versus Mexico would be a great match. The Aztecas always play well against Brazil and are likely to put up a strong fight. Sadly for them, it won't be enough against a Brazilian side likely to play even better in their second match. Neymar, Oscar and Fred will score. 3-1 Brazil the way I see it.
Old June 17, 2014, 01:35 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Or 6-1, if Holland can then Brazil can double up.
Old June 17, 2014, 01:12 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Brazil
12 Julio César
02 Dani Alves
06 Marcelo
17 Luiz Gustavo
03 Thiago Silva
04 David Luiz
16 Ramires
08 Paulinho
09 Fred
11 Oscar
10 Neymar
Old June 17, 2014, 01:13 PM
Cricket Savant

Mexico
13 Ochoa
22 Aguilar
07 Layún
15 Moreno
04 Márquez
02 Rodríguez
06 Herrera
23 Vázquez
10 dos Santos
19 Peralta
18 Guardado
Old June 17, 2014, 01:37 PM
Cricket Savant

24 minutes to kickoff
Old June 17, 2014, 01:51 PM
Cricket Savant

players ready in the tunnel
Old June 17, 2014, 01:53 PM
Cricket Savant

khela besh jome uthbe asha kori
Old June 17, 2014, 02:16 PM
Cricket Savant

15 minutes gone .... 0-0
Old June 17, 2014, 02:35 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Ebhabe khelle to hobe na ...
Old June 17, 2014, 03:16 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Din sheshe raat to dekhi kufa'r dikei agachche...
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 17, 2014, 03:54 PM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

this brazil team is so bad.. Even 2010 team was far better than this
Old June 17, 2014, 04:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Much, though not all, of the problem lies in Scolari's continued use of Paulinho in the midfield. He is static, cannot distribute passes evenly, and prevents the effective buildup and flow from defense to offense. Unfortunately, he had a couple of goals (while still playing as horribly) in the Confederations Cup, so Scolari will probably stick with him instead of using someone more mobile and a better distributor like say, Fernandinho.

Another issue was that Hulk was injured. Even when he doesn't score, his size and pace force defenders to focus on him and creates openings for other Brazilians.

And we must give credit to the Mexican GK, Ochoa, He was absolutely amazing.

I think essentially the same Brazilian team was much more solid in the Confed Cup, so it might be matter of nerves or being rusty. Many WC teams don't peak till the knockout rounds. And while it's still too early to generalize from just one or two matches, I see this Brazilian team, if it persists in its current state, having a terrible time against the Dutch or Germany, or even against Italy's catenaccio defense.
Old June 17, 2014, 04:52 PM
Cricket Savant

unexpected goalless draw
Old June 17, 2014, 07:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad

And we must give credit to the Mexican GK, Ochoa, He was absolutely amazing.

best gk of the tournament so far.... i thought howard yesterday was good... this guy was amazing.
Old June 18, 2014, 12:42 AM
Cricket Savant

Ochoa stole this game. Happens more in hockey but we've seen this before in soccer also.