facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 24, 2004, 02:02 PM
Retired BC Admin

Default Mahmud walks off as a man

The born fighter has decided to call it quits yesterday. He may be small in stature, but the lion-hearted Khaled Mahmud chose the right moment to sign off from international cricket after seeing the highs and lows of Bangladesh cricket.
"I think it is the right time to say goodbye to international cricket. It is not that I've just been dropped from the Test squad, but to avoid any further embarrassment," said the 32-year-old to The Daily Star Sport on Saturday in the evening.

Mahmud, who led the Tigers in three series since being named captain on April 24 in 2003, lost his place in the Test team when the selectors announced a 16-member tour party for Zimbabwe.

Mahmud, who attended his last training session at the Bangabandhu National Stadium in the morning, took only an hour to make the biggest decision of his cricketing career after a meeting with Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president Ali Asghar at his Gulshan office.

Although he did not wish to elaborate about his meeting with the BCB boss, however, Mahmud told this correspondent that it had certainly helped him to take the painful decision.

"I've tendered my resignation and hopefully the Board will accept it," said Mahmud adding that he has submitted the letter at around 4pm.

"I have been feeling the pinch of non-belonging during the training for the last few days. I was not getting enough chances to bat in the nets and also I noticed that the bowlers were acting funny whenever it was my turn," said Mahmud who made his international debut in 1998 against India.

"This is not the way to behave with a captain who should always command the respect of his teammates. And if this trend continues Bangladesh will never get a good captain in the future," said the hero of Bangladesh's last one-day victory against Pakistan in the 1999 World Cup in England.

"I admit that I have shortcomings and I'm average too. But can anybody tell me how many consistent performers are there in the team right now? I have failed in the home series, but it is unfair to judge one when everybody should share the blame. Another thing they seemed to have forgotten is that how the same set of players performed well in both Australia and Pakistan," remarked Mahmud, who has played 12 Tests since making his debut against Zimbabwe in November 2001 at the Bangabandhu National Stadium.

"I love the game very much and I always treasured self-respect above everything throughout my career," said the often outspoken Mahmud, who turned down the offer of taking over the captaincy from Aminul Islam during the 1999 World Cup.

Known for his great team spirit, Mahmud picked up the pieces of the disastrous 2003 World Cup campaign and mould it into a disciplined and fighting team on the ground. His leadership quality was never questioned despite nine Test and 15 one-day defeats during his reign.

The father of two sons, Mahmud's decision was wholeheartedly supported by his life partner Romana.

"We may suffer financially but I always wanted him to live with dignity and pride and that's why we have always stood by him," she said.

Asked to choose his finest moment Mahmud had this to say: "The greatest moments in my career came when I walked to toss with my idol Steve Waugh in Australia and the triumph over Pakistan."

Mahmud's parting shot also exemplifies the character of a true leader as he walked out of Bangladesh cricket like a man defying all sorts of temptations in a midnight meeting with the Board officials.

Source: Daily Star
Old January 24, 2004, 02:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Boy ..did he seem bitter or what ? I think it was right decision on his part to leave with some dignity by the way of resignation. All these talks about him in the media primarliy, commanding respect from teammates also seem untrue now, since he said himself sensing a pinch of non-belonging. Don't know whether thats true or not but do expect a rebuttal coming out soon. Maybe he was too emotional when he spelled those comments. His unavailability for the ODI squad won't have any significance either. He is easily replaceable and will be. Mushfiq and Rana are better all-rounders anyway at this point in time.
Old January 24, 2004, 02:16 PM
Cricket Legend

This article makes no sense. If Mahmud had self-respect and could fathom how useless he was on the team, he would have retired with dignity after the England tour. He didn't, forcing the grotesque show to continue. When they finally dropped him from the team, he resigned - from what? We hate to read that players started to show him disrespect - they shoudn't. If the Board's decision making showed any semblance of logic, and if Mahmud could better understand reality, then neither parties would be in the position they are in now. Instead of cricketers receiving the warm farewell that they deserve (ref. Bulbul), the Board and the cricketers together create these unhealthy situations. I guess that is the Bangladeshi way.

[Edited on 24-1-2004 by rafiq]
Old January 24, 2004, 02:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
We may suffer financially but I always wanted him to live with dignity and pride and that's why we have always stood by him,"
I believe he is lined up with banking job so I don't know if there will be a serious finanacial hardship. Anyway, we hope the best for him and his family financially.
Old January 24, 2004, 02:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

rafiq
I agree with you what you have said. he should have resigned a long ago so this fiasco could have been avoided. His parting shots were more towards the fellow players I sensed. He does realize though his shortcomings as he stated clearly. then whats the problem ? Its typical of bangladeshi character. nobody ever wants to resign for incompetence, be it a player or montri or shochib saheb. You have to forcibly do it and only then they will resign to recover dignity.
Old January 24, 2004, 02:38 PM
Cricket Legend

But I am afraid all dignity is lost by the time you make your exit. These people foolishly think they are restoring dignity by their "resignations" and "retirements" after they have already been sacked.
Old January 24, 2004, 02:49 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

Quote:
"This is not the way to behave with a captain who should always command the respect of his teammates. And if this trend continues Bangladesh will never get a good captain in the future," said the hero of Bangladesh's last one-day victory against Pakistan in the 1999 World Cup in England.
Little to harsh aint it??? if he had walked off after the Paki series now that wud have been something to boast abt... He was unwanted even then... come on man he was Booed... what self respect is left for him to walk off with??? seriously...
Old January 24, 2004, 03:25 PM
First Class Cricketer

I was a little confused by the headline "Mahmud walks off as a man". After reading the article, I felt more like "Mahmud walks off as a whiny, bitchy, jumpy little boy". The selector found better 16, and there was no room for him. He should have accepted that. I have no objection about him not quiting earlier. He was trying to fight for his position in the team. He gave his best and his best was not enough. Accept it and move on with your life.
Old January 24, 2004, 03:53 PM
Retired BC Admin

Well it was a right decision at the wrong time. I really don't like to blame him much knowing very well that it's truely hard to come out of our mental closet that we develop inside our psychi watching, living and learning all arround us every moment.

I just hope our next generation will learn the crucial timing fast enough. Anyway, now that Mahmud is gone, let's put him in our praise just a little longer.
Old January 24, 2004, 03:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Never thought that our posters had so much cricketing hatred for Mahmud!
Old January 24, 2004, 05:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Its not hatred for Mahmud!

But this whining is terrible. Rafiq bhai is right, he should have resigned, he didnt, and the board dropped him. End of discussion.

Now, did he have to have a parting shot? I mean, couldn't he leave a little more gracefully. Like saying it has been an honor to represent and lead my country in Test cricket and I wish my successor and the team all the best for the future. This question about who in Bangladesh is performing consistently is just stupid. Who cares what the others are doing, bottom line is, you don't deserve a place in the Test side so don't expect one! And plus, he was the captain, of course he should be held to a higher standard. If he hadn't realized that, I don't know what he was doing as our captain for the last 8 months.

It just irritates me that in Bangladesh, we seem to have a really hard time being graceful. Anyway, best wishes to Bashar and I hope he proves all his detractors wrong, myself included, by being an excellent leader of men.
Old January 24, 2004, 06:59 PM
ODI Cricketer

[Edited on 6-11-2004 by Nascer]
Old January 24, 2004, 07:56 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

Quote:
I cud write a book man... believe me when I say that...
Old January 24, 2004, 08:37 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by radicalsami
Quote:
I cud write a book man... believe me when I say that...
lol sami...

Well, I disliked him too but one must praise his leading abilities. He was a great captain but not a good player.

[Edited on 25-1-2004 by ehsan]
Old January 24, 2004, 10:06 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

A captain leads by example... he is a good PR guy... he can manage public relations well... that qualifies him as a manager at most... not a captain... I never liked his game... and oh! he speaks good english... boy was I surprised when he gave his reaction after the paki game, the one we won... damn that seems so far away, that was the last game we won right???... ok back to my story... i was almost abt to cover my ears as he started to speak... but then I sat baffled when he was making perfect sense in english... it was as unbelievale as the win itself...
Old January 24, 2004, 11:18 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

I am also surprised at all of your reactions like Kalboishakhi. Were you all getting a bit too emotional that you should have been? Anyway, forget it, let me make my argument in the next paragraph.

Mushfique and Rana are still youngsters, in particular, Mushfique had a very poor time the last time when he went to Zimbabwe. i don't see how he can fill in Khaled Mahmud's place as the match winner in the side. A good performer with both bat and ball? Yes, that he can do, he is in good form. But he also struggles on wickets that has bounce.

I am getting a bit worried now that Habibul Bashar won't get some sort of support from Khaled Mahmud during the one day series (that is, if the board does accept Khaled Mahmud's resignation, I am still hopeful that the board will do the right thing again like the selection process this time and will not accept Mahmud's resignation). I am worried that all this had to happen when we desperately want to win an ODI or a Test in Zimbabwe. If Mahmud does go to Zimbabwe (still being hopeful that he will go to Zimbabwe for the sake of winning a match or two), then he will be able to help Bashar even by being there, as the former captain.

As I said in another thread, we are in the process of losing a match-winner - we can't let that happen. IF WE DO LOSE HIM, THERE GOES OUR CHANCE TO WIN A MATCH IN ZIMBABWE!
Old January 25, 2004, 05:41 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Sorry - like Kana-Baba in another thread, not Kalboishakhi.
Old January 25, 2004, 06:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful
Default sami

English is Bangladesh's second language. It shouldn't be a surprise that few ppl here and there speak fluently. Actually most people who went to higher education should be able to communicate in English! Not to mention the ones who actually go to English Schools!

Oh yeah... to be ON topic!

Good decision Mahmud! I don't know what the hell you guys talking about. He should have retired after England series and He did. This is AFTER England series, is it not? He was great in Pakistan. Why would he resign after that?

[Edited on 25-1-2004 by Orpheus]