facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 10, 2012, 08:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Default I've been living in Dhaka for the last few years. Ask me anything.

Hello, everyone! I told you all a few years ago that I would move back to Bangladesh from the US. Well, I did, and I have been in Bangladesh for the last couple of years.

I saw World Cup matches (featuring Bangladesh, of course) in the Mirpur Stadium. I've partied with Shakib and Naim (girls dig Naim. Who'da thunk it?). I've eaten in pretty much all the restaurants Fazal mamu used to (or didn't use to) rave about. I've visited Cox's Bazaar, gone scuba diving in St. Martin, been golfing in Dhaka. I've got stuck in traffic jams in cars, CNGs, buses, rickshaws (but never in bikes). I have been mugged. I have been defrauded. I have held a job that pays very well by Bangladeshi standards and a job that pays horrible EVEN by Bangladeshi standards (the one I have now). I've dealt with on-the-job politics (nothing you have EVER, EVER, EVER experienced in the US would even come close to the ferocity of most people here when it comes to office politics even in some of the most relaxed of professions). I've dealt with some very good-natured people, the kind we would always talk about when people say "Shonar Banglar Shonar Manush", and I've dealt with the kind of people - a lot of them, actually - that made Bangladesh kings of corruption for five straight years.

I've dealt with the kind of bureaucracy we used to associate with government offices back in the day in non-government institutions, and I've received swift, cordial service from government officials without offering them even an iota of bribe.

So, if you are thinking of moving back to Bangladesh, or if you have questions about my Bangladesh experiences, or if there's anything you would like to know about Bangladesh, please feel free to ask. I would try to answer all of your questions.

And oh, it's good to be back in BC.