facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 20, 2015, 07:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon4567
Look at the positives: We overtook Scotland in 1999, overtook Kenya and Zimbabwe in 2004-5. Our win against India in 2007 was only our 5th win against a g8 team. We have come a great distance since then. We have slowly, but surely improved, and I think if we keep up our WC form we are more than capable of overtaking West Indies in ODI ranking.
Agreed. It's silly to say we haven't improved in ODIs. Technical level of players, the mental aspect (though that still needs a lot of work), performance, and results all improved.

Test is where we're having trouble. We're improving at snail's pace.

With more and more better, technically decent players emerging, our T20 form should improve a little, but we won't be producing a bunch of big hitters anytime soon, and more importantly, experiences from leagues like the IPL are paramount for T20 success. Our players will only get such experience once we establish ourselves as a good ODI team. And to establish ourselves as such, we've to perform like a "top 9" team continuously for 2 years.

Old March 20, 2015, 07:16 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Porterfield,Mushy,Rogers

Forget the cricket, who let that idiot Kamal near the microphone. His moronic comments have probably done more harm to the BCB than 2 years of losses.

Dont know what it is but the BCB seem to go ape any time something goes against them. You're a professional board fgs, show some professionalism. Cant imagine the BCCI will look too favourably on the BCB, hell if you annoy them enough they might cancel a series or two
Old March 20, 2015, 07:32 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mash, Mushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donal C
Forget the cricket, who let that idiot Kamal near the microphone. His moronic comments have probably done more harm to the BCB than 2 years of losses.

Dont know what it is but the BCB seem to go ape any time something goes against them. You're a professional board fgs, show some professionalism. Cant imagine the BCCI will look too favourably on the BCB, hell if you annoy them enough they might cancel a series or two
Highly doubt India would have been keen to play Bangladesh at all in ODIs, so it doesn't matter.
Old March 20, 2015, 07:47 AM
Test Cricketer

It just affects our PR. Kamal said what he did as the ICC president, not the BCB president. And, like anon said, they weren't gonna invite us anyway. And they (and some other G8 teams) are probably less interested in playing us in BD as well because there's a greater chance of loss now. Losing to a team with only 75 or so points can really affect their ranking and is a prestige issue, and with us being a better team now (if we can keep the momentum and trend going), there are greater chances for upsets.

Agree on lack of professionalism. He could've still made the same points while being more diplomatic about it rather than whining and throwing a ruckus.
Old March 20, 2015, 08:07 AM

If you think cricket rules -
It's near impossible for Associates to beat Bangladesh at home and knock off the WCQ, unless there's a knock-out Semi final. Even if there is, that one off match would have very little chance for the opponent.

If you think money rules -
Bangladesh brings far more money than any of the other qualifier candidates. So ...
Old March 20, 2015, 08:16 AM
Test Cricketer

This thread should be renamed Might as well been Zimbabwe's last WC. Sadly, I think Zimbabwe lacks young talents. Ireland is proving to be a marginally better side at the moment. This is sad for us, because if we ever had a cricketing rival, it would have been Zimbabwe, but this world cup might have marked the beginning of their downfall, much like Kenya 2003.

Good news for us though is if we play sensibly, we should be able to set new batting records in SBNC ground in the WC qualifiers.
Old March 20, 2015, 09:30 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: many ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of BD
The manner of defeat in the last game has got me thinking about our chances for even qualifying for next WC. Sorry to say, but thanks to the spineless batting performance in 2nd innings, am having reservations. We are not addressing any key issues. We have lost to afghanistan and hong kong last year. And in world cup warm-ups, against ireland. Just a victory against hapless England, and people are going gaga. For last 5 years, we have been talking of overtaking Windies, but we havent yet. And in 2 years, if we don't, we play a qualifying round. Knowing Bangladeshi players, they'll crumble under pressure and fail to qualify for WC in one of knock-out qualifying matches. People are not seeing that at all. We had a great chance this WC, but we blew it. Young exciting talents like Taskin, Sabbir has always been there in our history, but as a team we just never progress. Shahadat created same hype. And what about Junaid Siddique. Remember guys? Please don't say these guys will turn around. In the process of turning a corner, we have been going round and round.
In short, next world might be without BD. And as we know, ICC doesn't give a rat's *** about Bangladesh. Only got ourselves to blame, and also this attitude of fans who are praising mediocrity from this team. Sometime I just feel indians and pakistanis are right in critizing their team even with good performances, because that allows to raise the bar higher. Here, we make one player a superstar only after a 50!

Excellent well said at least someone who understands the real deal
we are definitely not qualifying for next world cup
our batsmen and players dont improve over time they get carried away , Tamim will soon join the WASTED TALENT List just like [Asraful, Rajin Saleh, Nafees, Kapali etc]
WHo had Talent but failed to carry on .
Old March 20, 2015, 11:16 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by max410
Excellent well said at least someone who understands the real deal
we are definitely not qualifying for next world cup
our batsmen and players dont improve over time they get carried away , Tamim will soon join the WASTED TALENT List just like [Asraful, Rajin Saleh, Nafees, Kapali etc]
WHo had Talent but failed to carry on .
We have so many wasted talents.... Rajin Saleh, Mohammad Ashraful, Alok Kapali, Aftab Ahmed, Junaid Siddiqui, and more recently Abdur Razzaq... I hope Tamim does not enter this list, and can bounce back...
Old March 21, 2015, 01:16 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

Taskin looked like he was about to cry when Mas was yelling at him.
Old March 21, 2015, 02:42 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tendulkar & Jonty Rhodes

Quote:
The manner of defeat in the last game has got me thinking about our chances for even qualifying for next WC. Sorry to say, but thanks to the spineless batting performance in 2nd innings, am having reservations. We are not addressing any key issues. We have lost to afghanistan and hong kong last year. And in world cup warm-ups, against ireland. Just a victory against hapless England, and people are going gaga.
Your batting has some good talent now considering it isn't over reliant on Shakib and Mushfiqur. Tamim Iqbal needs to take a break and earn his place, tbh. He's a good batsmen, powerful hitter. Mahmudullah is playing the anchor role in your side now, which you never had. I mean, you never had a Dravid or Jayawardene in your side, ever, tbh. Sowmya Sarkar has grace and hopefully, he is able to keep himself out of controversy and I am hoping he isn't compared to a Brian Lara or Ganguly for at least the next 5-7 years, until he's scored at least 10 centuries. He's capable but he needs to prove it. Its a different thing being talented and playing consistently well. Prime e.g.: Vinod Kambli, in many ways, as talented as Tendulkar but lost it somewhere.

England weren't a depleted side at all. India lost to them (I also feel India were basically preparing for the WC and hence tried all sorts of combinations and frequently moved around the batsmen to gauge their role in the final squad and also in the process to take a bit of that focus off them)

Quote:
For last 5 years, we have been talking of overtaking Windies, but we havent yet. And in 2 years, if we don't, we play a qualifying round. Knowing Bangladeshi players, they'll crumble under pressure and fail to qualify for WC in one of knock-out qualifying matches. People are not seeing that at all. We had a great chance this WC, but we blew it.

This is very harsh on the team that has never qualified to be in the knock outs and when they did finally, you want them to lift the cup already. This is a lil unfair, cut them some slack.

Quote:
Young exciting talents like Taskin, Sabbir has always been there in our history, but as a team we just never progress. Shahadat created same hype. And what about Junaid Siddique. Remember guys? Please don't say these guys will turn around. In the process of turning a corner, we have been going round and round.
Tbh, your bowling has never looked this good. Period. This is the best you've got by far for as long as I can remember.

Quote:
In short, next world might be without BD.
Impossible being a test team

Quote:
And as we know, ICC doesn't give a rat's *** about Bangladesh. Only got ourselves to blame, and also this attitude of fans who are praising mediocrity from this team. Sometime I just feel indians and pakistanis are right in critizing their team even with good performances, because that allows to raise the bar higher. Here, we make one player a superstar only after a 50!
I agree that BD fans do sort of hype their team's talent a lil too much. Good or bad, I don't know. Since you cannot go into a match with a loser attitude but at the same time too much chess thumbing only builds up pressure and doesnt do any good to the team or their mental capability. No one gave them a chance right before the tournament to do well but they ended up qualifying for the knock outs, not good enough?

You do make players superstars overnight (Read: Asharaful and his numerous comparisons to Tendulkar, must have been hard on that poor kid back then. You should have just treated him as Ashraful and not Tendulkar. India started comparing Kohli to Tendulkar not because of his style of play but because of his consistency and of course his centuries (22! already!)

Also, I feel, India and Pakistan do criticize their team but they don't put them down completely. They are a lil more realistic than BD fans, just my personal opinion.
Old March 21, 2015, 02:46 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Enough with the 1st time knock outs..this the 2nd time we progressed beyond the 1st round..2007 super 8s is equivalent to 2015 knock outs
Old March 21, 2015, 08:27 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
Enough with the 1st time knock outs..this the 2nd time we progressed beyond the 1st round..2007 super 8s is equivalent to 2015 knock outs
2007 was a huge step forward for our cricket team. Our performance in the 2007 WC was marginally better than 2015 WC, Due to the fact that we beat 2 test playing nations (India on group stage, and SA on Super 8); but we also lost to an associate nation in the Super 8 (Ireland, a team that was composed of semi professional players).

It is ludicrous to compare 2007 WC squad to our 2015 squad. As be_friend_13 said, this is the strongest squad we ever had. We have come a huge distance since 2007.

I thought our performance in this WC was on a par with the Windies side if not better . We did very well esp against the NZ and Eng games. Look at Windies WC campaign- Huge loss to England in practise match 1, barely scraped a 3 run win against Scotland, avoiding humiliation, lost to Ireland on opening game. So don't be so negative, I have a feeling we might overtake Windies if we keep performing like we did in the WC and they keep performing like they did, in less than 2 years.
Old March 21, 2015, 08:44 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
The manner of defeat in the last game has got me thinking about our chances for even qualifying for next WC. Sorry to say, but thanks to the spineless batting performance in 2nd innings, am having reservations. We are not addressing any key issues. We have lost to afghanistan and hong kong last year. And in world cup warm-ups, against ireland. Just a victory against hapless England, and people are going gaga. For last 5 years, we have been talking of overtaking Windies, but we havent yet. And in 2 years, if we don't, we play a qualifying round. Knowing Bangladeshi players, they'll crumble under pressure and fail to qualify for WC in one of knock-out qualifying matches. People are not seeing that at all. We had a great chance this WC, but we blew it. Young exciting talents like Taskin, Sabbir has always been there in our history, but as a team we just never progress. Shahadat created same hype. And what about Junaid Siddique. Remember guys? Please don't say these guys will turn around. In the process of turning a corner, we have been going round and round.
In short, next world might be without BD. And as we know, ICC doesn't give a rat's *** about Bangladesh. Only got ourselves to blame, and also this attitude of fans who are praising mediocrity from this team. Sometime I just feel indians and pakistanis are right in critizing their team even with good performances, because that allows to raise the bar higher. Here, we make one player a superstar only after a 50!
I think you are being too negative and haven't had a a close look at the matches we played in this WorldCup. I would Even place the loss to NZ above both the wins in 2007. Infact the standard of 2007 team was shown to us by Irealand...and that those two win basically came due to their failure than our achievement.

As much you call England a helpless team, but that was a do or die match for Both the teams, while none of the 2007 win came in a do or die situation....so everything in this worldcup is way way different than 2007..

So, I think you have been a little OTT with pessimism.... if all this due to indian match... Then watch the most vocal critique of Bangladesh, #sidhu...according to him, if Rohit was given out at that point, India wouldn't have scored above 260 and that would be chaseable by Bangladesh...and he explains why...even as per my calculation until 35th over, India shouldn't have crossed 250/260

That's why I felt you totally went on to 1 win vs 2 win comparison without considering the match conditions...
Old March 21, 2015, 10:30 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: TaMotu, GoBoy, Mashrafe

Actually

2012 = BD performed well
2013 = BD performed well
2014 = Had so many close matches, and due to not having a Misbah like captain, we were not able to clinch win in many of those matches. This year was most heart breaking not because we were bad, but because of managing defeat from the jaw of victory multiple times.

We have started 2015 well. We will be having many home series. It is time that we show maturity like we had shown during ENG QF match and grab as many series win as possible. We need to be very clear about our goals, and there is no doubt that we can achieve those goals. We need a program to smarten our captains and toughen them mentally. Ideally, Mash should remain ODI captain at least for 2015.

History do not remember close fights. History operates in binary mode - 1 or 0. Hope we score many ones in 2015.
Old March 21, 2015, 10:45 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: TaMotu, GoBoy, Mashrafe

Regarding qualifying for next WC, I think we will qualify.

As for winning WC, I am not sure if we will ever win any.

After fifteen years of playing cricket, let alone producing greats, have we produced a dependable and consistent batsmen like Misbah? Have we produced a fast bowler who can consistently take wickets or a spinner who is a genuine turner?

The answer is no. Probably we will never win a WC. To win a WC in modern times, you need a team without any weaknesses. Look at present Aus or Nz team - they almost do not have any loophole. Bangladesh will probably always remain a somewhat good team who will possess moderate challenge in ODIs and almost no challenge in tests.
Old March 21, 2015, 11:34 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I agree with you on this point. We have to be positive. After this world cup, we can go home with heads held high BUT let us not forget the lessons learned and lessons not yet learned. Too often we let victory paper over our shortcomings and it's business as usual.

I am between the two of you - pessimistically optimistic.
That is called guarded optimism. I have guarded optimism about our short and long term future.

When I first joined here, back in 2004, we were all delusional. Ashraful, Shahadat, Enamul, and Aftab were going to lead us to be world class within 5 years. By 2009, reality was that we were a distant 9th up just a smidgeon from 11th (ODIs) and 10th in Tests.

But each successive generation has gotten better. We have now put up quarterfinal equivalent performances in 3 consecutive world cups (2011 we missed out on NRR and had equal wins to England and WI). Thrown in 2007 world T20, that's 4 global ICC events.

We won't be world class anytime soon, but I think we are on the verge of being right up there with teams ranked 5-8 in both formats of the game.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 21, 2015, 11:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by epitaph
It just affects our PR. Kamal said what he did as the ICC president, not the BCB president. And, like anon said, they weren't gonna invite us anyway. And they (and some other G8 teams) are probably less interested in playing us in BD as well because there's a greater chance of loss now. Losing to a team with only 75 or so points can really affect their ranking and is a prestige issue, and with us being a better team now (if we can keep the momentum and trend going), there are greater chances for upsets.

Agree on lack of professionalism. He could've still made the same points while being more diplomatic about it rather than whining and throwing a ruckus.
it's not the invite that is lucrative for BCB, it is the tour by an Indian team. for smaller boards, hosting India for a series can mean more earnings than the rest of the year's events, combined.
Old March 21, 2015, 02:47 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodrul
Regarding qualifying for next WC, I think we will qualify.

As for winning WC, I am not sure if we will ever win any.

After fifteen years of playing cricket, let alone producing greats, have we produced a dependable and consistent batsmen like Misbah? Have we produced a fast bowler who can consistently take wickets or a spinner who is a genuine turner?

The answer is no. Probably we will never win a WC. To win a WC in modern times, you need a team without any weaknesses. Look at present Aus or Nz team - they almost do not have any loophole. Bangladesh will probably always remain a somewhat good team who will possess moderate challenge in ODIs and almost no challenge in tests.
I agree with you. I totally agree I probably topped the list of the most delusional fans. Have been awakened.And yea, the reasons we will never win a WC because of us fans. The way our players just make a simple pre-KC match the Biggest ever?! That sucks really, They just say, but don't have the mindset to win a WC, and i doubt they want to. The players showed no disppointment. But look at Wahab Riaz. I didn't see that commitment from our players. And frankly speaking if we can't go into a WC without ambition of winning a WC, let us just stop playing cricket.

As for Pakistan, they are gonna whitewash us. I truly see no hope for the team. Talent will come and go. As a team, we just suck.
Old March 21, 2015, 03:24 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Sir Ash will be back... so I am not worried
Old March 21, 2015, 03:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Bangladesh will qualify 100 %.
Question is did the ICC make the destination so they we're not embarressed and bangladesh did not make it.
Zimbabwe has made many tours to bangladesh and some of their players play bangladeshi leagues.
Afghanistan players play in bangladeshi league.
The irish played 1 series here and lost 3 nil,apart from 1/2 players the grater majority of irish players don't play in bangladesh leagues.So ireland seem odds onto not to qualify for the 2019 world cup.
I firmly believe that the quallifier should have been played in a neutral country maybe not england because the irish play there,but somewhere neutral so no side has no advantage.
Also the icc missed an opportunity to take this not only to a neutral country but an associate country.
Old March 21, 2015, 04:59 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

2018 is a long ways away. Even with Taylor, Zimbabwe has failed to beat Ireland in 3 ICC events played over various conditions. With Taylor now gone, I have already written in BD and Ireland for the 2019 world cup. Even Afghanistan with their talent pool will give ZIM a serious run (2-2 draw in ZIM).

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 21, 2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
2018 is a long ways away. Even with Taylor, Zimbabwe has failed to beat Ireland in 3 ICC events played over various conditions. With Taylor now gone, I have already written in BD and Ireland for the 2019 world cup. Even Afghanistan with their talent pool will give ZIM a serious run (2-2 draw in ZIM).
Same thoughts here.
Old March 21, 2015, 08:46 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockley
Bangladesh will qualify 100 %.
Question is did the ICC make the destination so they we're not embarressed and bangladesh did not make it.
Zimbabwe has made many tours to bangladesh and some of their players play bangladeshi leagues.
Afghanistan players play in bangladeshi league.
The irish played 1 series here and lost 3 nil,apart from 1/2 players the grater majority of irish players don't play in bangladesh leagues.So ireland seem odds onto not to qualify for the 2019 world cup.
I firmly believe that the quallifier should have been played in a neutral country maybe not england because the irish play there,but somewhere neutral so no side has no advantage.
Also the icc missed an opportunity to take this not only to a neutral country but an associate country.
Zimbabweans need to be more patriotic, Kyle Jarvis retired from Zimbabwe first to pursuit a county cricket contract with Lancashire, and now Zimbabwe's best player since post Zimbabwe cricket crisis Brandon Taylor has followed suit. Sean Williams and Tendai Chatara are the only 2 players left who can do some damage. If Zimbabwe can't find some young talented players fast, this might have been their very last world cup, I would actually think Ireland and Afghanistan (even Scotland) has a greater chance qualifying...
Old March 21, 2015, 08:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Maybe so Nial o'brien,ed joyce,Kevin O'birne,John Mooney and Wayne Porterfield could be gone by 2019,so do not assume i expect Ireland to weaken over the years approaching 2018/19.
Scotland in a much better position to move up,and afghanistan,even tho afghanistan got a few 30 year olds in their side.
Zimbabwe i don't know what happens now,i don't even know if they can afford to keep dav whatmore on,let alone who will be left for zimbabwe,2 months is too far ahead for zimbabwe.
But its really slack bangladesh get the qualifier,they got the t20 qualifier,as well,talk about rigged.Yes it will get crowds but so would scotland and ireland.
Old March 21, 2015, 09:01 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
I agree with you. I totally agree I probably topped the list of the most delusional fans. Have been awakened.And yea, the reasons we will never win a WC because of us fans. The way our players just make a simple pre-KC match the Biggest ever?! That sucks really, They just say, but don't have the mindset to win a WC, and i doubt they want to. The players showed no disppointment. But look at Wahab Riaz. I didn't see that commitment from our players. And frankly speaking if we can't go into a WC without ambition of winning a WC, let us just stop playing cricket.

As for Pakistan, they are gonna whitewash us. I truly see no hope for the team. Talent will come and go. As a team, we just suck.
Reason #2 we don't win is some fans who are very negative, and tries to put down their team in every possible way. I think we might lose the ODI series, but I think we will most likely lose 2-1 against the current Pakistan squad playing at home conditions; who knows we might even win the series 1-2... I highly doubt that we are going to get white washed. And if we do get whitewashed, all 3 of Pakistan's wins are going to come at a very narrow margin.