facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 14, 2012, 02:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Oh...ei pola matro ekush bosor boyoshe eto buira der moton penor penor kore?
Yeah Kabir, I think you are onto something. I too feel this way. Be my shrink.

Old December 14, 2012, 02:48 PM
Cricket Savant

Objection! Permission to treat witness hostile!
Old December 14, 2012, 02:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

Someone needs to take a chill pill here. By the way, when we start winning Tests, don't join our celebrations.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old December 14, 2012, 02:55 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Roey, let me share a personal story with you. During last year's Mirpur Test Match against Pakistan (17-21 December) I was, like many people, on Christmas break and traveling to Dhaka from Birmingham. It was a long journey, involving day-long stop overs in London, Berlin and Doha, and on each of those days, in each of those cities, I feverishly followed the match; on Cricinfo, BC and occasionally on online streams. I rode along the diminuendos and crescendos of the match, from the typical collapse of BD wickets to Shakib's magic double to Pakistan's slow grind and their stuttering race to a 107 against the fog and fading light --- I watched this opera, this epic, unfold over several sleepless nights and the experience was only heightened by the anticipation (and worry) after the close of play; the baited breath while watching the ball move ever so slightly during the morning dew.....it really is irreplaceable. The fact that you have to wait for it, whether it is a run, a boundary, a century or a wicket or five, makes it all the more valuable. The catharsis that can be achieved by watching a quality test match, even a hard-fought draw is unimaginable.

No matter how 'fast paced' the world becomes, I feel being deprived of such forms and traditions will leave us all the poorer.
Old December 14, 2012, 03:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Everyone needs to calm down and chill.
It does not speak highly about ourselves if we can’t agree to disagree in a reasonable manner.
Old December 14, 2012, 04:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by meazz1
Everyone needs to calm down and chill.
It does not speak highly about ourselves if we can’t agree to disagree in a reasonable manner.
Nahhhhh, you are looking into it too much. There is no bad blood. Don't be so emotional. The mods will step in if they feel anything is out of the line. Clearly, this isn't.
Old December 14, 2012, 04:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnaad
Someone needs to take a chill pill here. By the way, when we start winning Tests, don't join our celebrations.

I'm always chill. Nothing was out of line,so don't play "mod" when you aren't.

Not a matter of winning or losing tests, it's a matter of realizing the lack of relevance of tests.
Old December 14, 2012, 05:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

I watch all bangladesh test when espn360 was broadcasting them. funny thing is i stayed up all night and went to work the next morning, i had no issue. but i felt sleepy during the T20 match...

Those who doesn't know how to watch test cricket will think its watching t20 for 9 hours. where as the truth is u have to know how the trap is being set what the bowler is trying to do and what the batsmen is doing to counter that etc. if you don't understand that then to you it is like two man batting and one man bowling for 9 hours. i would suggest learn the art of the game before asking for such big things...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old December 14, 2012, 05:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

I actually get bored of test cricket when Bangladesh are playing. The dead tracks that they play on in test cricket is also a contributing factor. It just looks disappealing on tv. But when the big guns play ie Aussies, SA, Eng its easily the best format imo. The feel of Steyn ripping it into pitch with extra carry to the keeper leaving the batsmen lost for words. Or when Sanga is facing and sees a ball touch short and times a cover drive to perfection. I think this is where true cricket lies.

I wouldnt have followed ODI cricket if it wasnt for Bangladesh. ODIs is BD's best format so thats why i found ODIs entertaining cos BD have a realistic chance of winning. The top teams prioritise test cricket.
Old December 14, 2012, 05:49 PM
Club Cricketer

So you want BD to focus on ODI and do well. How do you think they can do well in ODI?
Old December 14, 2012, 07:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol

I wouldnt have followed ODI cricket if it wasnt for Bangladesh. ODIs is BD's best format so thats why i found ODIs entertaining cos BD have a realistic chance of winning. The top teams prioritise test cricket.
This makes sense. But of course, Bd is beginning to have a chance of consistently winning. This wasn't always so in the ODI.
Old December 14, 2012, 07:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

Unfortunate to see the thread opener being attacked than the topic actually being discussed.

Nobody can question the history or importance of test cricket in its role of the origin of the sport. ODI and T20 did not come up as an idea to kill or take away from Test cricket but as a necessity because test cricket was just not doing it for the majority of the audience anymore.

What should be being discussed is what can be done for Test cricket to be meaningful beyond AUS and ENG and at most the two other countries that seem to have a strong test team at the moment (currently SA)
Old December 14, 2012, 08:57 PM
First Class Cricketer

If it i between two fairly even teams tests are good...if not they are just prolonging he inevitable..ODI's i feel are losing the zippy factor.ICC must shorten it to 40 overs ..20 overs stuff like it or hate it...is the future if u plan to take cricket further to the working classes given the time frame..

Day-Night Tests..Now this is some i am interested to see...surely wont go through in BD given the due and all...but in AUS-SA-IND-NZ..It should be interesting..And yes..Daylight or daynight SL is a boring test side..not interested..
Old December 14, 2012, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02

We can't abandon Test just cause we aren't good at it. We should take this a challenge upon ourselves and invest on it. People still judge teams on tests records and that's why SL, NZ are still ridiculed, e.g. Rodney Hogg saying this SL attack is the worst that came to Aus shores. I don't agree with this Hogg guy but it just shows that to earn respect, you have to prove yourselves in the test arena.
can't agree with you. Malinga took 6/7 in BBL the other day. He earned the respect from aussies. everyone's talking about him. Gayle has earned respect for his 20/20 performances. Michael Bevan earned respect just by doing well in one day cricket. What about the world cup performances? Did people forget kapil Dev, Imran khan, klusener, Jayasuriya's performances? Or Afridi's for that matter? Its not the format, the performance that matters. When test cricket dies it even be easier to remember ODI performances. Playing a match for 5 days and still not getting a result sometimes is ridiculous to me. Test cricket is not a mainstream twenty first century sport. Its a fancy sport like golf for riches and retirees, not for masses. 50 overs matches should be the new longer version cricket and t20 the shorter version.
Old December 15, 2012, 01:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain

When people say T20 is the future I kind of get... worried i should say. Bangladesh played 5 ODis with the Windies and I woke up every single night (during tests as well) except the sole T20 which I only saw the latter half. I mean T20s just don't cut it for me not because, if someone may argue, we aren't good at it but because fitness and physique becomes the major deciding factor than 'cricket'. I would like to think cricket is still a game of strategy and technique than just muscle power.
Old December 15, 2012, 02:25 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
Okay. I need to tell y'all something. I know most of you are cricket purists and have been wanting Bd to play more tests. But with the busy schedule all year around (different cricket leagues, tournaments,series and cups), I honestly don't care if Bd never plays another test match again.

It's all about the ODIs baby! I never liked tests, even as a kid, they bore me, and I feel the format is heading towards extinction. A 5 day game in the 21st century is borderline ridiculous. Even golf lasts 4 days. So Bd should make a smart move, and focus on ODIS exclusively.

I know most of you love tests and will disapprove,but I just had to let y'all know that I"m not with you. That's all.
there are 100m sprints, 200 m sprints ......400, 800 ....marathons ..... tri-atholns....relay race .....

every thing has its own charm.
Old December 15, 2012, 05:08 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any smart *** spot fixers

Not all format has same number of viewers or spectators, dosnt mean we dont care about Test. T20s happens in prime time here as a evening entertainment event; Its just simply convenient for everyone to watch it without hampering your other business or office work or school. tbh I dont care if someone choose to sleep at that time in other part of the globe or watch some other popular programs in tv channels like Zee Bangla or Star Plus. Same way, unless its a holiday most viewers miss the 1st innings of ODIs. So its very understandable why test cricket has less viewers than other two.
A handful of haters & few deluded fans observing match results & tv viewers ratings can argue this on business pov, but in BD still its that same cricket-hungry fans who shows up constantly in very high numbers of spectators than anyone in the world regardless whoever the oposition or the format is; and IMO thats what count most. This aint a place where ppl just shows up to see celebrities like Sachin or Shakib; knows very well how pathetic our past record is. Small or big I'm proud of this crowd.
btw I'm also fine with those who only likes to see wins in a game cant tolerate supporting a dark horse side anymore, chooses to prefer T20 over ODI; IPL-BPL is meant for you.
Old December 15, 2012, 06:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
must have had unlimited time because when tests were first played there was no limit on how many days they played for, some test matches of yesteryear went on for 8+ days.
Ohh wow, really? Honestly speaking, even the most cricket fanatic fans have a hard time following a single ODI match with all the busy scheduel we have these days let alone a freaking TEST match ...

5 days for a game, 8 hours/day that's like 40 h on a test match. Hell that's full time job for most people!!! Who has time for this crap in the 21st century anymore?
Old December 15, 2012, 07:09 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla
Ohh wow, really? Honestly speaking, even the most cricket fanatic fans have a hard time following a single ODI match with all the busy scheduel we have these days let alone a freaking TEST match ...

5 days for a game, 8 hours/day that's like 40 h on a test match. Hell that's full time job for most people!!! Who has time for this crap in the 21st century anymore?
It's not necessary that every one has to go to watch the match....stadium can take only 25-40 thousand at a time. If you see in Eng and Aus, stadiums are full when they play tests....are they not in 21st century and busy??

Have people stopped taking holidays because they have too much work? Some spend holidays in resorts, some spend in stadiums.... And some people spend weekends in the stadiums, just like some people go on a long drive in weekends.....

This business and 21st century etc are all excuses....if you love test cricket, you will go there......just like some boys spend more than a series (Time Wise) infront of Rokeya Hall, because they love to be there...

So please don't show these time as a reason....just say, you like it or not....if you like, you will make time for it, if not, you will only come up with excuses....
Old December 15, 2012, 08:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
It's not necessary that every one has to go to watch the match....stadium can take only 25-40 thousand at a time. If you see in Eng and Aus, stadiums are full when they play tests....are they not in 21st century and busy??

Have people stopped taking holidays because they have too much work? Some spend holidays in resorts, some spend in stadiums.... And some people spend weekends in the stadiums, just like some people go on a long drive in weekends.....

This business and 21st century etc are all excuses....if you love test cricket, you will go there......just like some boys spend more than a series (Time Wise) infront of Rokeya Hall, because they love to be there...

So please don't show these time as a reason....just say, you like it or not....if you like, you will make time for it, if not, you will only come up with excuses....
No sir, you are misinterpreting what people like me and Godzilla are trying to say. Of course you will show up to an event you love, but what I'm saying is test cricket's long durations are putting an increasing burden on the fans, and even marketing wise it's almost a dead ball.

No one wants to find excuses, but that's how the world works, with excuses. You gave an example of your own,now my turn. A much simpler one than the Rokeya Hall analogy. You come home dog tired from work, and you just remember you had an errand to run. You are not gonna call that errand off, knowing how much lying down in bed means for you at that point of time?

So what's the difference between tiredness and boredom? Bottom line is test cricket is boring, die hard fans like you might manage to love it, but there is a large group of people out there(especially the newer generations) who love cricket because of Bd, not the other way around. And cricket is not their top priority either. But whenever the boys don the red and green, their hearts start to race in excitement. And I was making the point, that this group feels that test cricket is an unwanted branch, kind of like your pinky toe in 21st century with all the media,glamor,color,entertainment.
Old December 15, 2012, 08:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

Quote:
I'm always chill. Nothing was out of line,so don't play "mod" when you aren't.
Someone needs to take a chill pill here = Bhai take it easy.
Nobody was playing a "mod" here. If you can't defend your own cause, don't just pull something out of nowhere. And if you can't deal with criticisms well within limits, don't open such derogatory threads.
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old December 15, 2012, 08:47 AM
Cricket Legend

This is no derogatory thread. It's a very interesting thread which describes the deep seated frustrations of one( but really many as they are closeted), and lets the cricket loyalists take their side on the matter. Both useful and interesting.

Nowhere near derogatory. You know what is derogatory though? People feeling they are above a situation and telling others to take it easy/chill. Who's to say I wasn't? Even this isn't an acrimonious post, I'm just telling it like it is. Let the people dish it out and let the mods do their job.

No need to step in and play police.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:10 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Liton Kumar Das

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
if you love test cricket, you will go there......just like some boys spend more than a series (Time Wise) infront of Rokeya Hall, because they love to be there...
bhai...Rokeya hall-er shamne akhon dustbin banay felsee... 2 minute o darano jay na :@

Old December 15, 2012, 10:45 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

didnt want to click on this thread even but three pages of it - seriously?

Test match is here to stay, every other format can go extinct.
Old December 15, 2012, 11:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
This is no derogatory thread. It's a very interesting thread which describes the deep seated frustrations of one( but really many as they are closeted), and lets the cricket loyalists take their side on the matter.
So we need a kid to revolutionize world cricket? To help others come out of the closet?

No, thank you.

You're stamping your own thread as interesting. Hmmm...given that its three pages long, it may very well be. I've also seen monkey shows turn a few heads and stop a few passing by.