facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 3, 2007, 02:57 AM
Alien's Avatar
Alien Alien is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: July 19, 2006
Location: Vladivostok
Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan
Posts: 2,965
Default Hasina decided to pull out of election

I saw the news in Google News.

Bangladesh's grand alliance not to go to polls: leader

Bangladesh's grand electoral alliance led by Awami League (AL) will not join the national election, announced grand alliance leader and AL chief Sheikh Hasina on Wednesday, saying conducive environment for a clean and credible election was not yet created by the caretaker government.

The announcement was made at a press conference attended by alliance leaders including former military dictator and Jatiya Party (JP) Chairman Hussain Muhammad Ershad at the last day for withdrawal of nominations set by the Election Commission (EC) and 20 days away from the planned elections.

Hasina said, "We will not join the election as environment for a free and fair election was not created yet by Iajuddin Ahmed. Keeping Iajuddin as the head of the caretaker government, no election will be clean. We will not go to the polls so long Iajuddin holds the post of chief advisor of caretaker government."

"In the voter list, AL voters were absent. Unless the caretaker government corrects the voter list, we cannot go to the polls," Hasina said.

Hasina said her alliance has already asked its candidates, who have submitted nomination paper to withdraw their candidature by Wednesday.

Reuters
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old January 3, 2007, 03:34 AM
Alien's Avatar
Alien Alien is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: July 19, 2006
Location: Vladivostok
Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan
Posts: 2,965

billah bhai, calm down. Otherwise Chinaman will be here soon.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 3, 2007, 03:35 AM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,583

This is bad indeed !!!!!!! This election would in essence now be a one party election if you can call it an election if the Alliance dont go for polls. I dont think such an election will give us a credible government. Please note that the words "credible" and "one party election" are relative to the Bangladeshi political situation and far far away from the dictionary meaning of the words.

As I have been shouting and hoping for.... the only solution for BD is the rise of a third party with balls not one that would join any Alliance.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old January 3, 2007, 03:46 AM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
billah bhai, calm down. Otherwise Chinaman will be here soon.

Well, since you mentioned Chinaman I was contemplating opening a thread about him closing that other thread with the news about BAL and the Fatwabaz's MOU. Chinaman bhai take this as an open letter from me.

You closed that thread saying people are trying to show one single party in bad light and trying to use the situation into giving another party some leverage for the election. That thread was discussing a MOU that took place which is a fact. How can discussing about a fact give leverage to one party and show the other party in a bad light? It's not like someone was making up stories and using that as a propaganda against one single party. This MOU happend in real life and even if we are not allowed to talk about this in BC it will show one party in bad light (ppl read newspapers you know). I felt your closing of that thread stunk of your own preference for a party and was not objective. I saw absolutely no valid reason for closing that thread. It was a biased decision on your part as there was no malicious untruthful stories being discussed on that thread. Yes, people were bashing one party but the reason was there for everyone to see( the MOU). Also you said that Banglacricket maintains political nuetrality and the posts in that thread were obviously(to you) not politically nuetral. My question is does all the posts in Banglacricket represent Banglacricket's thoughts? Isnt it supposed be like Banglacricket does not endorse the views on the posts and they are all individual opinions. ( not only this political but all posts in Banglacricket) If not then you guys have a weird policy which needs to be given another round of thoughts.

On a more lighter note, russell peters would say to you in this case:" Be a man do the right thing". The right thing would be to reopen that thread for discussion.

Last edited by layperson; January 3, 2007 at 03:53 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 3, 2007, 04:18 AM
Arnab Arnab is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 20, 2002
Location: BanglaCricket.com
Posts: 6,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
On a more lighter note, russell peters would say to you in this case:" Be a man do the right thing". The right thing would be to reopen that thread for discussion.
I think you need to stick to cricket, Anthony in cricket forums, tap-some-bong in FC.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 3, 2007, 04:32 AM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
I think you need to stick to cricket, Anthony in cricket forums, tap-some-bong in FC.

Do you think what I say in FC is rubbish? Dare I ask, what your reply is to my reasons, for the closing of the thread being unreasonable?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 3, 2007, 04:47 AM
billah billah is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: September 5, 2003
Posts: 5,364

Well, I'm glad at least a few more members have a clear view of the kind of discussion board we are a part of. As for Chinaman, I've experienced all of them already, with disappearing threads, and posts, all of it...

Last edited by chinaman; January 3, 2007 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 3, 2007, 04:52 AM
Alien's Avatar
Alien Alien is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: July 19, 2006
Location: Vladivostok
Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan
Posts: 2,965

Back to the topic, what does it mean if the opposition pulls out of election? Does BNP automatically comes to power again (given minority parties wont stand a chance)??

If thats the case then I hope BAL does it every election. :p
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 3, 2007, 04:57 AM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
Back to the topic, what does it mean if the opposition pulls out of election? Does BNP automatically comes to power again (given minority parties wont stand a chance)??

If thats the case then I hope BAL does it every election. :p
Then whats the point of democracy? We might as well give the country to BNP then. The best part would be BAL not being in power but the worsst part which is far heavier than he best part is democracy ( whatever little of it we have) will vanish from BD politics.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 3, 2007, 07:42 AM
Arnab Arnab is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 20, 2002
Location: BanglaCricket.com
Posts: 6,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
Do you think what I say in FC is rubbish? Dare I ask, what your reply is to my reasons, for the closing of the thread being unreasonable?
Do you think you know more than the admins on what threads to close in FC?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old January 3, 2007, 09:02 AM
gatekeeper gatekeeper is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 1, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
Back to the topic, what does it mean if the opposition pulls out of election? Does BNP automatically comes to power again (given minority parties wont stand a chance)??

If thats the case then I hope BAL does it every election. :p
It would probably mean this sad little experiment in democracy has blown up in our face. As disgusted as I am at the two mafia families controlling the country, they are the only choices we have and if there's to be democracy, there'll have to be elections.

Barring any military coup or some sort of armed revolution we are stuck with either on of the families.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old January 3, 2007, 11:03 AM
chinaman chinaman is offline
Retired BC Admin
 
Join Date: August 14, 2003
Location: pc near u
Posts: 8,021

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
... During the BC Canada meet I got to know of some more stuff about AL right after 1972 and they only made my hatred towards this party grow manifold.
Need I say more to reply your open letter? I'll just quote Arnab's reply here (Could not have said any better myself):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
... You can single out AL on this one, but that just means you're with the other kind of bhondos.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old January 3, 2007, 12:23 PM
pagol-chagol's Avatar
pagol-chagol pagol-chagol is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: September 19, 2003
Location: Web
Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv
Posts: 4,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
It would probably mean this sad little experiment in democracy has blown up in our face. As disgusted as I am at the two mafia families controlling the country, they are the only choices we have and if there's to be democracy, there'll have to be elections.

Barring any military coup or some sort of armed revolution we are stuck with either on of the families.
Couldn't have said it better. "Mafia" is the correct word, but don't think that the next family who could replace them won't be mafia either.
__________________
Ashraful is like the Eids. Lots of fun twice a year.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old January 3, 2007, 12:39 PM
Kabir's Avatar
Kabir Kabir is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: September 3, 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger
Posts: 11,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
It would probably mean this sad little experiment in democracy has blown up in our face. As disgusted as I am at the two mafia families controlling the country, they are the only choices we have and if there's to be democracy, there'll have to be elections.

Barring any military coup or some sort of armed revolution we are stuck with either on of the families.
I disagree. The reason Ershad has been charged now, after so long, is because he is with the opposition now. He has a growing popularity...and if he alone faces BNP, I won't be surprised if he gets 45% seats.

But after all these discussions...we're back at square one. A few (not two) mafia groups controlling the country. So in such a case, the last option is a military coup. And to be honest with you, only a military coup can save this country at this moment. Yes there'll be mass murder...but IMO, there's not gonna be much of a difference than right now. And of course, mass murders will involve both good and bad people, with a major chunk of it being the bad ones. I might sound like an idiot promoting atrocities...but trust me, this is the only possibility currently.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old January 3, 2007, 12:48 PM
billah billah is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: September 5, 2003
Posts: 5,364

I don't think Ershad will ever get 45% of the seats in Bangladesh, unless one of the parties manipulates the elections.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old January 3, 2007, 12:52 PM
Kabir's Avatar
Kabir Kabir is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: September 3, 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger
Posts: 11,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
I don't think Ershad will ever get 45% of the seats in Bangladesh, unless one of the parties manipulates the elections.
Well we'll never know unless he can go on election. But from what it seems, even an average person understands that these two ladies are of no help anymore. So I won't be surprised if he gets 40 to 45% of the votes.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old January 3, 2007, 01:16 PM
Arnab Arnab is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 20, 2002
Location: BanglaCricket.com
Posts: 6,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Well we'll never know unless he can go on election. But from what it seems, even an average person understands that these two ladies are of no help anymore. So I won't be surprised if he gets 40 to 45% of the votes.
That's just ridiculous. You must be really detached from BD.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old January 3, 2007, 02:18 PM
sensible sensible is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: December 28, 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 423

If Ershad do really gets 45% seats in the parliament, that would be a SAD day for the country and for us as a nation. It'll be like Yahia Khan regaining power in Bangladesh. i don't think this will happen ever in Bangladesh unless one of the two parties gives support to him and in that case, I don't think it'll be fair call it support for Ershad.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old January 3, 2007, 02:20 PM
Kabir's Avatar
Kabir Kabir is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: September 3, 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger
Posts: 11,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
That's just ridiculous. You must be really detached from BD.
Although I want to resist myself from getting into a debate here, which part do you find ridiculous?

And detached from BD? I don't think so.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old January 3, 2007, 02:40 PM
Special 1 Special 1 is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: December 10, 2004
Posts: 971

A good move by BAL and Mohajot. They would go to the elections and lose under iajuddin. So, why bother.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old January 3, 2007, 04:07 PM
gatekeeper gatekeeper is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 1, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
I disagree. The reason Ershad has been charged now, after so long, is because he is with the opposition now. He has a growing popularity...and if he alone faces BNP, I won't be surprised if he gets 45% seats.

But after all these discussions...we're back at square one. A few (not two) mafia groups controlling the country. So in such a case, the last option is a military coup. And to be honest with you, only a military coup can save this country at this moment. Yes there'll be mass murder...but IMO, there's not gonna be much of a difference than right now. And of course, mass murders will involve both good and bad people, with a major chunk of it being the bad ones. I might sound like an idiot promoting atrocities...but trust me, this is the only possibility currently.

Don't want to get into a chicken or egg argument but the point is this stalemate/impasse is the doing of politicians, from both parties. There has to be accountibility or we're going nowhere. If this accountability can only be achieved through a military coup then be it.

I'll give you an exapmle of what I mean by accountability-if one party calls for hartal and because of that there's loss of human life then they (party bosses) should be held accountable or if there's financial loss the same should apply (for any party). Unfortunately our political culture has become such as that we've come to accept these losses as more or less 'collatoral damage'. This is sad. But what I see is that whims and egos taking over instead of real politicall ideas or agendas. This is criminal.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old January 3, 2007, 04:07 PM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
Do you think you know more than the admins on what threads to close in FC?
Its not about knowing because even if I did I dont have the power to implement it on BC. What makes you think your decisions are right just because you are admins? Yes, your decisions are final but not necessarily the right one. I on my part just suggested my opinion of the closure. If that is too hard to digest then that is not my problem.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old January 3, 2007, 04:21 PM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,583

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman
Need I say more to reply your open letter? I'll just quote Arnab's reply here (Could not have said any better myself):
First and foremost, since you quoted Arnab, just because people were singling out BAL does not mean they are with the other kind of BHondos. That is just generalizing to make life much easier saying if you are not with BAl then you are with the other party. There are other options you know. I can speak for myself when I say I am not with any. If I was supporting a party I would acknowledge it openly. I not the one to hide things. I say what is on my mind. Finally it was a thread on a deal between BAL and Khelafot so naturally people would be discussing about BAL and not the other parties. How is that singling out BAL? So if some other party made a dubious deal and people were discussing them you would close that too saying one party is being singled out?

You quoted one line from my post. Well that was my personal opinion and I said "my hatred towards the party". HOw does this show that I was using the thread as a means to put BAL in bad light? I did not say that everyone should start hating them just because I do !!! I also did not say anything to imply that everyone hates them either. The deal was about an issue that itself put the party in a bad light. Discussing that doesnt mean people are using that as a propaganda. I for one am not a supporter of any political party in Bangladesh. Nothing you or anyone else says can change this. "Propaganda" is usually using some incident and adding colour to it to make it look worse. The deal itself made the party look as bad as it could and it was a fact. There was no propaganda involved there. This is where I think your personal preference might have come in for closing the thread.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old January 3, 2007, 05:14 PM
Miraz's Avatar
Miraz Miraz is offline
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 27, 2006
Location: London, United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Posts: 15,722

Kabir bhai, forget 45%, Ershad will not get even 10% of Parliament seat.
__________________
You only play good cricket when you win/draw matches.
I am with Bangladesh, whether they win or lose . http://twitter.com/BanglaCricket
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old January 3, 2007, 05:21 PM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,583

Yeah I have to go with the rest on Ershad. Kabir bhai is suggesting they might win 120-135 seats in parliament which is extremely unlikely. I think miraz bhai's number looks more close, about 30 seats. However I am no expert on this and this is just conjecture based on the last election.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket