facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 6, 2007, 11:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Israel Planning Nuke Raid on Iran

Report: Israel Planning Nuke Raid on Iran Uranium Enrichment Sites

Israel has drawn up secret plans to destroy Iran’s uranium enrichment facilities with tactical nuclear weapons. Two Israeli air force squadrons are training to blow up an Iranian facility using low-yield nuclear “bunker-busters”, according to several Israeli military sources.

The attack would be the first with nuclear weapons since 1945, when the United States dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The Israeli weapons would each have a force equivalent to one-fifteenth of the Hiroshima bomb.

Under the plans, conventional laser-guided bombs would open “tunnels” into the targets. “Mini-nukes” would then immediately be fired into a plant at Natanz, exploding deep underground to reduce the risk of radioactive fallout.

“As soon as the green light is given, it will be one mission, one strike and the Iranian nuclear project will be demolished,” said one of the sources.

The plans, disclosed to The Sunday Times last week, have been prompted in part by the Israeli intelligence service Mossad’s assessment that Iran is on the verge of producing enough enriched uranium to make nuclear weapons within two years.

Israeli military commanders believe conventional strikes may no longer be enough to annihilate increasingly well-defended enrichment facilities. Several have been built beneath at least 70ft of concrete and rock.

However, the nuclear-tipped bunker-busters would be used only if a conventional attack was ruled out and if the United States declined to intervene, senior sources said.

Israeli and American officials have met several times to consider military action. Military analysts said the disclosure of the plans could be intended to put pressure on Tehran to halt enrichment, cajole America into action or soften up world opinion in advance of an Israeli attack.

Some analysts warned that Iranian retaliation for such a strike could range from disruption of oil supplies to the West to terrorist attacks against Jewish targets around the world.

Israel has identified three prime targets south of Tehran which are believed to be involved in Iran’s nuclear programme:

—Natanz, where thousands of centrifuges are being installed for uranium enrichment

—A uranium conversion facility near Isfahan where, according to a statement by an Iranian vice-president last week, 250 tons of gas for the enrichment process have been stored in tunnels

—A heavy water reactor at Arak, which may in future produce enough plutonium for a bomb Israeli officials believe that destroying all three sites would delay Iran’s nuclear programme indefinitely and prevent them from having to live in fear of a “second Holocaust”.

The Israeli government has warned repeatedly that it will never allow nuclear weapons to be made in Iran, whose president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, has declared that “Israel must be wiped off the map”.

Robert Gates, the new US defence secretary, has described military action against Iran as a “last resort”, leading Israeli officials to conclude that it will be left to them to strike.

Israeli pilots have flown to Gibraltar in recent weeks to train for the 2,000-mile round trip to the Iranian targets. Three possible routes have been mapped out, including one over Turkey.

Air force squadrons based at Hatzerim in the Negev desert and Tel Nof, south of Tel Aviv, have trained to use Israel’s tactical nuclear weapons on the mission. The preparations have been overseen by Major General Eliezer Shkedi, commander of the Israeli air force.

Sources close to the Pentagon said the United States was highly unlikely to give approval for tactical nuclear weapons to be used. One source said Israel would have to seek approval “after the event”, as it did when it crippled Iraq’s nuclear reactor at Osirak with airstrikes in 1981.

Scientists have calculated that although contamination from the bunker-busters could be limited, tons of radioactive uranium compounds would be released.

The Israelis believe that Iran’s retaliation would be constrained by fear of a second strike if it were to launch its Shehab-3 ballistic missiles at Israel.

However, American experts warned of repercussions, including widespread protests that could destabilise parts of the Islamic world friendly to the West.

Colonel Sam Gardiner, a Pentagon adviser, said Iran could try to close the Strait of Hormuz, the route for 20 percent of the world’s oil.

Some sources in Washington said they doubted if Israel would have the nerve to attack Iran. However, Dr Ephraim Sneh, the deputy Israeli defence minister, said last month: “The time is approaching when Israel and the international community will have to decide whether to take military action against Iran.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,242243,00.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never thought I'd see noocooler warfare in my lifetime. I know this is just Faux News, but if half of what's said here is true, this will look ominous for Iran. How can the International community defend this?

Old January 7, 2007, 01:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

i highly doubt that this will happen. iran has the power strike back, along with syria. israel wouldnt dare attack them i think.
Old January 7, 2007, 02:11 AM
Banned

I remember what the Iranian ambassador said in an interview to US media. He said, Pre emptive strike was not a monopoly.
Old January 7, 2007, 02:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
i highly doubt that this will happen. iran has the power strike back, along with syria. israel wouldnt dare attack them i think.
They sure have the power to strike back but not do anything decisive. It won't hurt them anymore than those Qassam rockets raining on Israel every now and then. Israel did bomb Iraq's nuclear facility before back in 1980s. Iraq didn't do a thing.

Iran's military is crippled heavily by Western embargo. But they are very innovative lots, like made their own fighter jets and missiles. Pity but thats how things are. Especially Arabs wont definitely help them.
Old January 7, 2007, 04:18 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Simply, in thier dreams.
Israel does not dare to stage a nuclear attack on Iran.
That would give a full-free pass with unlimited validity for the neighbouring Hezbollah(Lebanon), Hamas ( Palestine), Syria and most importantly Iran to do WHAT-EVER they want to do.

Even though they dont have military power as that of Israel, but the rampage they would create would be devasting for Israel. U can not wage a war on all frontiers...

It would send the whole world into a terrible chaos and we could easily be on the verge of a new crusade, ( not world war III).

War is a different thing, but no body wants radioactive nuclear stuff blowing around thier backyard. You think Pakistan, or even Russia would want such things to happen in Iran,?? i dont think so.

Mind you, all those people from the smaller ex-Soviet states like Ajerbaijan, Ukraine would flee north towards Russia for protection and that would create a huge problem for Cremlin....

Sure Putin has other things to worry about already....

Its all talk.... nothing else...
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old January 7, 2007, 04:22 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

LOL the US acts like they don't approve of it or know nothing about Israel's true intentions. In reality they are encouraging Israel to go ahead and will defend them for it. They would do it themselves if they weren't so occupied elsewhere. Iran probably has the balls to retaliate. Question is what can they possibly do to defend themselves, and reply with? If they attack Israel, they need to do more than landscape damage. Otherwise Israel will gain the full confidence to attack any other nation at will.
Old January 7, 2007, 04:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
Simply, in thier dreams.
That would give a full-free pass with unlimited validity for the neighbouring Hezbollah(Lebanon), Hamas ( Palestine), Syria and most importantly Iran to do WHAT-EVER they want to do.

Even though they dont have military power as that of Israel, but the rampage they would create would be devasting for Israel. U can not wage a war on all frontiers...

It would send the whole world into a terrible chaos and we could easily be on the verge of a new crusade, ( not world war III).

War is a different thing, but no body wants radioactive nuclear stuff blowing around thier backyard. You think Pakistan, or even Russia would want such things to happen in Iran,?? i dont think so.

Mind you, all those people from the smaller ex-Soviet states like Ajerbaijan, Ukraine would flee north towards Russia for protection and that would create a huge problem for Cremlin....

Dear Sydney,

Israel has smashed and silenced Arab countries in past 6 wars for over 60 years. Do you think Hezbollah, Hamas and Syria can do anything? And Israel has been used to fighting wars on multiple fronts. They did so the day after their nation was proclaimed in 1948. They did that again in Yom Kippur war when they hammered Syria in one front and Egypt on another.

Israel would love another war. They need to expand territory. Another chunk like Golan Height would do them good.

And Russia and Pakistan don't really care. And if Iran get bombed, there is no reason for people to flee to Russia of all places. I don't know where you got that from.

Everyone hates Iran. Arab countries won't do anything at all, except for cheering about shia Ayatollahs of Iran getting pounded by Israel. Iran has lot to worry about and should speed up their nuclear business quickly as possible before anything happens.

I know its all talks and I hope it stays that way.

Last edited by Alien; January 7, 2007 at 04:44 AM..
Old January 7, 2007, 04:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Iran's air force is made up of mostly old Soviet junks lacking spare parts. They don't have proper ability to deliver payload to Israel. Not to mention, aids and supplies will come flooding in to Israel's door from the United States of America. Courtesy of George Bush ofcourse.
Old January 7, 2007, 05:40 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
Simply, in thier dreams.

I agree. Its just mindgames. I doubt Israel will go ahead with a nuclear attack.
Old January 7, 2007, 06:06 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
Dear Sydney,

Israel has smashed and silenced Arab countries in past 6 wars for over 60 years. Do you think Hezbollah, Hamas and Syria can do anything? And Israel has been used to fighting wars on multiple fronts. They did so the day after their nation was proclaimed in 1948. They did that again in Yom Kippur war when they hammered Syria in one front and Egypt on another.

Israel would love another war. They need to expand territory. Another chunk like Golan Height would do them good.

And Russia and Pakistan don't really care. And if Iran get bombed, there is no reason for people to flee to Russia of all places. I don't know where you got that from.

Everyone hates Iran. Arab countries won't do anything at all, except for cheering about shia Ayatollahs of Iran getting pounded by Israel. Iran has lot to worry about and should speed up their nuclear business quickly as possible before anything happens.

I know its all talks and I hope it stays that way.
Dear Alien,

I can completely understand where you coming from. and you do have valid points.

BUT, going for a nuclear attack on another nuclear power plant is DIFFERENT from just having A WAR.

You will have wars on different corners on this planet. We humans just does not know how to live in peace.

just the word "nuclear" "atom bomb" is good enough to infuse a great state of fear and confusion among the people who live close by...

Arabs surely dont like Iranians, but i reckon even none of those oil-money-pumping, alcohol-drinking, busy-with-hookers, squandrelling-money-anywhere Arabs would not like a nuclear war on thier doorstep.

There is a something called the aftermath of such blasts...
im not big on physics, but those radioactive particles does flow on and spreads with air, ( or so i was told)...

An attack on Iran would therefore cause serious concern for neighbouring countries.
Even though the attacks carried out Israeliets could be planned and "supposedly" for minimal destruction, but go and tell that to the semi and half illeterate and panicked people who live few hundred miles from the radius.....and that few hundred miles could well reach the various neighbouring countries...

Panicking is a very contagious disease..even so more than the radioactive spores in the air...

Another Golan Height would certainly do good for the Jionists...but remember, GH was just A war, A very traditional War...

Offcourse Hamas, Hezbollah is nothing compared to the might of Israel, but all those little tiny components could create a bigger problem than anticipated...

and as i said before, a nuclear attack on Iran would just give them the much wanted free license to do anything.... they just need an excuse... and they will get it...

And about Iran's nuclear programme??
At this point, they also dont have ANYTHING.

Its all talk, both parties are trying to bully their way out of it..

But to survive, Iran must and should produce nuclear weapon...
and they better do it as fast as they can..its for thier own good...
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old January 7, 2007, 06:17 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

i dont think so it will happen as Iran have got Atomic Bomb,
I aver that if Israil attack to Iran it will be a big disaster for world,
Old January 7, 2007, 06:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Sydney,

I think you missed a key point. Israel is planning a to attack Iran's nuclear facility with a "low yield nuclear bunker busters", or whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. Read carte_blanche's first line of the report:

Quote:
Israel has drawn up secret plans to destroy Iran’s uranium enrichment facilities with tactical nuclear weapons. Two Israeli air force squadrons are training to blow up an Iranian facility using low-yield nuclear “bunker-busters”, according to several Israeli military sources.
Sounds like some low impact nuke thats enough to destroy deep rooted nuclear facility underground. Of course that won't generate enough radiation to send Iranians packing to Russia or other countries. When Chernobyl disaster took place, a lot of radiation was released and huge clouds of smokes loaded with radiation blew across europe. Today we hardly hear any health hazard except for neighbouring areas of Ukraine where Chernobyl was located.

There is no reason for Israel to attack Iran's civilian population with nukes. It would shatter Israel's relations around the world and will affect Israel more than Iran in the long run. Just like you said in your post, it would spell out Israel's own doom if they choose that path. And Israel being a smart nation has obviously done that homework.

Although I hate Israel and its Zionist population, I do have utmost respect for them. Their sense of community and togetherness and unity is what makes them stronger and defeat Arabs for last 60 years.

Its something we Muslims can learn from our enemies.
Old January 8, 2007, 09:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
They sure have the power to strike back but not do anything decisive. It won't hurt them anymore than those Qassam rockets raining on Israel every now and then. Israel did bomb Iraq's nuclear facility before back in 1980s. Iraq didn't do a thing.

Iran's military is crippled heavily by Western embargo. But they are very innovative lots, like made their own fighter jets and missiles. Pity but thats how things are. Especially Arabs wont definitely help them.

I agree completely.

This is how I see the situation;
This information is being leaked or disclosed to see worldwide reaction to it. They'll probably get a few more news items like this to spread to increase the threshold or tolerance level then strike. Next two years, the time reamaining for the current US administration, is crucial. If anything has to happen it'll happen during this time.
Old January 9, 2007, 02:13 AM
Test Cricketer

i dont think israel and america wants another war. america is already at war in iraq and afghanistan. they are trying to find a way to get out of iraq. because the truth is america is getting their butt kick in iraq and they dont know what to do. they want the easy way out. mojority of american wants troops out of iraq. if israel and america wants to attack iran in any way, it will lead to another war and america does not want that and neither does israel.
Old January 18, 2007, 05:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaoun
i dont think israel and america wants another war. america is already at war in iraq and afghanistan. they are trying to find a way to get out of iraq. because the truth is america is getting their butt kick in iraq and they dont know what to do. they want the easy way out. mojority of american wants troops out of iraq. if israel and america wants to attack iran in any way, it will lead to another war and america does not want that and neither does israel.
Both Bush and Blair are in their last term. So, they don't have the fear of not being able to regain the power. If you think in this way, then you cannot write this possibility off.

One more point is, they are gentlemen by their outfit but still they are invaders.
Old January 18, 2007, 05:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Israel Planning Nuke Raid on Iran?

I think its too risky for Israel to plan for a Nuke Raid. It may be wiser if they do Nude Raid instead, I mean they raid Iran with a bunch of Nude soldiers. That may be more stunning to Iran's current regime.
Old January 19, 2007, 08:11 AM
Cricket Legend

LOL.

But I am sure its against the ancient Jewish laws to fight nude. Maybe they should keep on banging their heads on the wall till Iran gives up.