facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old May 12, 2011, 03:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Here's the game 7 preview.

Quote:
Wings try to complete comeback vs. Sharks
Dave Lozo - NHL.com Staff Writer

Big story -- Teams grind through an 82-game season for one major reason -- for home-ice advantage in a Game 7. That’s what the Sharks earned by grabbing one more point than the Red Wings in the regular season. They'll need every edge they can get to stave off this Red Wings rally. Down 3-0 in the series, the Wings have won three straight, including victories in the last two games after trailing in the third period. The Vancouver Canucks showed during the first round that just because a 3-0 lead disappears, it doesn't mean the faltering team can't regroup for a Game 7 victory .The Sharks are hoping the same can happen for them while the Red Wings are hoping they can be the fourth team in NHL history to win a series after trailing 3-0.

Team Scope:

Sharks -- They didn't have Ryane Clowe (upper body) for Game 6, and it appeared to hurt them. Coach Todd McLellan was forced to shuffle his lines, and the Sharks were unable to muster any sort of sustained attack during the first two periods. They grabbed a 1-0 lead when Logan Couture scored early in the third period, but for the second straight game, were unable to hold the lead.

The only reason the Sharks had a chance to win was Antti Niemi's brilliance over the first two periods. Otherwise, it was a game the Sharks could have easily lost by three or four goals.

"We didn't play very good. The score should've been 5-1 or 6-1," Couture said. "Nemo gave us a chance to steal one and we let him down. So we're gonna have to move on from this. And we've got one way to save our season, to continue to play. I know no one in this room that wants to end their season next game. So we better fight a lot harder than we did tonight."

Red Wings -- Having experience, leadership and toughness is great. But it appears the Red Wings also have a wounded animal mentality -- they're at their most dangerous when they feel threatened.

Trailing in two straight third periods, the Red Wings amped up their play in both situations. In Game 6, it was Valtteri Filppula who rose to the occasion, assisting on Henrik Zetterberg's tying goal and scoring the winner a couple minutes later off a great feed from Pavel Datsyuk. There's an air of calm around the Red Wings, and it's paid off as they've faced elimination for three straight games.

Now they have to gather themselves, refocus, and do it one more time to make history.

“We’ve been taking the one-game at-a-time approach since we were down 3-0 and that’s going to be our same approach for Game 7,” captain Nicklas Lidstrom said. “We’ve just got to go out there and win one game. That’s it. That’s totally our approach. We can’t relax because every game has been so tight and so close. We’re not done yet. That’s going to be the same approach for Game 7."

Who's hot -- Couture has 3 goals in 3 games and 6 points in the series. … Datsyuk has 1 goal and 7 assists in the series and points in 9 of 10 games during the playoffs.

Injury report -- Clowe missed Game 6 and will likely be a game-time decision at best for the Sharks. He did not fly with the team to Detroit after taking a massive, clean hit from Niklas Kronwall in Game 5. Clowe did not come out of the game, and the Sharks say the hit has nothing to do with the injury. … Detroit’s Johan Franzen (ankle) gutted out his injury for five games before sitting out Tuesday night. It's possible he could come back for Game 7, but it's more likely the Red Wings will once again go with Mike Modano.

Stat pack -- Teams losing the first three games of a series failed to force a Game 7 in 112 consecutive series between 1976 and 2010. Beginning with the Philadelphia Flyers breaking that streak last year against Boston, three teams have done it in the past seven opportunities (Philadelphia, vs. Boston; Chicago vs. Vancouver; Detroit vs. San Jose).

Puck drop -- “Before this series started, you think, ‘These two teams, they’re two and three (in the West) and it’s probably going to go six or seven,’ so it’s no surprise it’s going seven. It’s been a great series so far. You know, 25 other teams would love to be in this position, to be honest with you. It’s too bad we couldn’t finish, but we’re going to try and do it in front of our fans at home.” -- San Jose captain Joe Thornton

LINK
LET'S GO RED WINGS!
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Old May 12, 2011, 09:40 PM
Cricket Savant

Good 2nd period from our guys. Zetterberg puts us on the board and we trail 1-2 in game 7. Cleary's down at the moment and that's a serious concern especially after Bertuzzi left in the 1st. Their Pavelski-Setoguchi-Couture line can still ask questions our second line cannot answer.

Niemi made some good saves.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 12, 2011, 09:53 PM
Cricket Savant

Other than the PP early in the 2nd forcing Howard to make a couple of good saves, it has been all Red Wings in the period. Steady diet of Zetterberg and Datsyuk with a couple of players down and that lifted others. Sadly, Niemi was there also. We need to keep it going in the 3rd until he's solved. Won't be easy with their second line.

1-2 Wings after 2.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:28 PM
Cricket Savant

Nemesis-in-Chief Setoguchi fires, Marleau bangs it in, trailing 1-3.

Last edited by Sohel; May 12, 2011 at 11:29 PM..
Old May 12, 2011, 10:30 PM
Cricket Savant

Datsyuk scores! 2-3 Wings!!!

What a backhand shot!
Old May 12, 2011, 10:33 PM
Cricket Savant

We get a PP with 5:03 left in the game. Great opportunity to tie the game.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:39 PM
Cricket Savant

Great PK from the Sharks with key blocked shots.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:47 PM
Cricket Savant

I had a nightmare we lost 2-3 just before I woke up to watch the game this morning. Well, we lose 2-3 as the Sharks advance. One of the best playoff series I've ever seen. Falling just 1 goal short of OT in game 7 in their building -- after being down 0-3 in the series, all by a single goal -- makes it just a little less painful. Great effort from our guys, proud of them as always, and we'll be back next year InshAllah.

I won't be surprised if Niemi wins his 2nd Cup in a row. Watch out for Pavelski-Setoguchi-Couture making life hell for their opponents. Watch out for BJ Thorton winning faceoffs and making passes. Watch out for Boyle, perhaps the most underrated elite D man in the league. Won't be surprise if they bring the Cup to the Bay Area for the first time. It's Northern California's time after the Ducks brought it to Southern Cal.

Last edited by Sohel; May 12, 2011 at 11:18 PM..
Old May 13, 2011, 09:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Sorry for your loss. But, great effort indeed. Its so hard to beat a team four games in a row. But, the Wings came darn close. Niemi saved the Sharks. He had to deal with constant goal scoring threat all over the ice. I watched the last two games, and its clear that Datsyuk is on a different plane, come playoff time. Tremendous skill set. Yeah, Wings will be back again next year. How can they not with that core?

Dan Boyle is a gifted D man. Cup winner too. Our Kris Letang reminds me of him. But, he has ways to go. He is also lot younger. But, they have the same size, skills, skating ability and the right shot, though Kris misses the net way too often. Maybe, one day he can become like Boyle.

I also thought that the Sharks younger forwards of Coture-Setguchi-Pavelski were the difference makers. Pretty soon, they will have to make a decision on who to keep. I can see them trading Marleau away. Sharks are a contender for sure.
Old May 13, 2011, 09:51 AM
Cricket Savant

Thanks bro, much appreciated.

Having been a Red Wings fan for 31 years, I can handle this. I just feel a little worse than usual about Nick not winning his 5th because he's likely to retire now. Datsyuk will probably get the captaincy after the announcement. BTW, he plays like that every game, not just in the playoffs, and is a treat to watch for all hockey fans. Hopefully you'll watch us more from now on

Here's that backhander:

FYI: I used to make it a point to watch the Pens when Jagr was there and make it a point to watch 'em now because of Malkin and yes, Kris Letang. SO happy to see him emerge as an elite player this year.

Rooting for the Sharks (home team after all) in the West and Boston, an old favorite, in the East.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:43 AM
Cricket Guru

Man, its difficult to watch other teams. First up, they are not shown in local TV, plus if I add more sports to my calendar of 82 Pens game, a full Steelers season, Man United games- wifey will kick me out and I will have to sleep in the yard. Its difficult as it is : ) However, thanks to NHL Network, I do catch the highlights almost every night on "NHL on the Fly". Plus, Wings are on the West ( which I don't understand ), so even less game exposure in our market.

I am sure Datsyuk plays like that all the time. I said what I said because I can only watch the playoffs games, and not many regular season games. He does have a terrific backhand, which is comparable to maybe one other player, who plays for us. No, he is not Matt Cooke : )

I am hoping that the nightmare that derailed our season this year will be a thing of past. When healthy, we are always a contender, and I expect us to be back next year.

I am gonna root for any Western team that advances to SCF. Soooo glad that Cryers and Craps are sitting at home.
Old May 14, 2011, 01:22 AM
Cricket Savant

That's a lot of sports bro. I just follow the Bangladesh cricket team and the NHL, and Barcelona albeit less regularly. Since the Giants won the World Series last year, followed them from NLCS, I'm getting more interested in MLB again.
Old May 14, 2011, 01:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

RIP Boogaard
Old May 14, 2011, 09:29 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
That's a lot of sports bro. I just follow the Bangladesh cricket team and the NHL, and Barcelona albeit less regularly. Since the Giants won the World Series last year, followed them from NLCS, I'm getting more interested in MLB again.
Oh yeah. Add BD games as well. How could I forget? So, plate is pretty full. I don't like basketball or baseball, thankfully. Used to be a big boxing fan, but MMA has taken that sports down. Sad.

Yes, RIP Derek Boogard. What happened?
Old May 14, 2011, 10:18 AM
Cricket Savant

RIP Boogaard. Hate to see a young guy cut down like this

He was found dead in his Minneapolis apartment yesterday, and cause of death was unknown. An autopsy is scheduled for today.

Quote:
Rangers forward Boogaard dead at age 28

The New York Rangers are very saddened to announce the passing of Derek Boogaard.

"Derek was an extremely kind and caring individual," said New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather. "He was a very thoughtful person, who will be dearly missed by all those who knew him. We extend our deepest sympathies to his family, friends and teammates during this difficult time."

Boogaard began his NHL career with Minnesota and appeared in 255 career games with the Wild from 2005-06 – 2009-10. He joined the New York Rangers on July 1, 2010, appearing in 22 games in the 2010-11 season.

Throughout his career, Boogaard sought to make a difference in the communities he played in, taking part in numerous charitable endeavors. Boogaard was a supporter of the Defending the Blue Line Foundation, a non-profit charitable foundation whose mission is to ensure that children of military members are afforded every opportunity to participate in the great sport of hockey. While with the Rangers, he created "Boogaard's Booguardians," hosting military members and their families at all New York Ranger home games. In addition, he made multiple appearances with partner organizations of the Garden of Dreams Foundation, the non-profit charity that works closely with all areas of Madison Square Garden, including the New York Knicks, Rangers, Liberty, MSG Media, MSG Entertainment and Fuse "to make dreams come true for kids facing obstacles."

The Saskatoon, Saskatchewan native was originally Minnesota's seventh round choice, 202nd overall, in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.

LINK
More from the NYT.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:30 AM
Cricket Savant

Rooting for Boston, an old favorite of mine. Actually, I have a soft spot for 5 of the Original 6 teams.

Outplaying Tampa is possible with a combination of your tight defensive locks and back-checking. A Crosby and Malkin-less Penguins team proved that this year up to a certain point. The Bruins gotta stay intense, aggressive and smart one shift at a time and not take LeCavalier and St. Louis for granted in any shift. That way they won't do too much damage. Stamkos can be handled but gotta crowd him early. Their Swedish D-men, Ohlund and Hedman can and probably will handle Boston's top line but once they're off the ice, their other lines can generate scoring opportunities with good forechecking. Good thing that the qualitative difference between your their and 2nd lines is not that substantial.

There will be loose pucks around the board and the Bruins have the bodies the get them out of the scrum and pepper Roloson. Tim Thomas is a better goalie and will always keep Boston in the game.

My money's on Boston in 7.
Old May 14, 2011, 08:40 PM
Cricket Savant

Tampa's leading 3-1 with 8 left in the 2nd. Boston's not generating good chances up close and Roloson has been up to the task stopping shots from and around the blue line. The LeCavalier-St. Louis-Stamkos line has been tough to handle.

PP for Tampa now.
Old May 14, 2011, 08:43 PM
Cricket Savant

Tampa couldn't get anything going on the PP itself but a decent chance came right after Boston killed off the penalty.
Old May 14, 2011, 08:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Thomas robs Downie.
Old May 14, 2011, 08:49 PM
Cricket Savant

Boston won't score on Roloson unless they get good traffic in front of him. Hasn't been the case so far.
Old May 14, 2011, 09:08 PM
Cricket Savant

Looks like Atlanta instead of Phoenix is moving to Winnipeg next season. But our decade-long request to be reallocated to the eastern Conference is likely to be set aside, again, despite this move.

Last edited by Sohel; May 14, 2011 at 09:50 PM..
Old May 14, 2011, 09:38 PM
Cricket Savant

LeCavalier draws a penalty, very smart to draw that dumb retaliation. Possible turning point here.
Old May 14, 2011, 09:41 PM
Cricket Savant

4-1 Tampa with that crucial PPG. Boston's done here.
Old May 14, 2011, 09:51 PM
Cricket Savant

Gagne scores the ENG, 5-1 Tampa. Horrible faceoff from Boston, pond-league stuff!
Old May 14, 2011, 09:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Boychuk scores with a minute left in the game. 5-2 Tampa.