facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old October 25, 2004, 04:06 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿
Default Match Thread: Bangladesh v New Zeland Second Test

Another knockout or a close finish ? Which will it be ? Couple of changes made to the team but it still remains a very young, very vulnarable side with everything at stake. If they perform, they can avoid further chops from the team ad maybe silence the critics for once. If they don't, it will become another of those forgotten encounters and the fans will put this behind them and ok forward to the next series.

Let's talk about the second test in this thread. The match will start in about 19 hours or so but we have so much to discuss.

Links:
Web: CricInfo Live Scores
IRC: BanglaCricket Live Chat with CricInfo scores

Edited on, October 26, 2004, 12:35 AM GMT, by nasif.
Reason: Links added

Old October 25, 2004, 04:09 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿

I'll start off with this news from theDailystar.net. If this is true and we do win the toss, what are the odds that batsmen will apply some common sense and bat deep into lunch/tea of the second day and take the match to NZ ? I'll be an optimist and say that that's exactly what they will do. Here's the report:

Toss vital for 2nd Test
Cu Correspondent

Bangladesh certainly had missed a golden opportunity to put pressure on New Zealand despite winning a good toss in the first Test in Dhaka last week. But the Tigers might get a second chance to make a turnaround here at the MA Aziz Stadium provided that skipper Khaled Mashud calls the coin correctly on Tuesday and his top-order for a change put up a decent total on the board.
"The team that wins the toss and chooses to bat first might establish control over match as the first two days will promise a lot of runs," observed Khokon, the curator of MA Aziz Stadium, ahead of the second Test starting on October 26.

"Even the pace bowlers would not be able to get any assistance during this time. The wicket will only take a little turn on the third day while the fourth and fifth day will definitely belong to the bowlers," said Khokon adding that this wicket would be similar in nature like the one in Dhaka.

"Maybe the only difference will a slight change in bounce," said the curator.

Bangladesh suffered an embarrassing innings and 99-run defeat in the first Test against the Black Caps. The match turned into a no-contest after Dav Whatmore's boys lost three wickets on the first morning and eventually were bowled out for 177. But observes feel that had the batters applied themselves then a score of 250 to 300 was possible. It would have made the game interesting because Stephen Fleming's side would have had to bat on the third and fourth day in difficult conditions.

Meanwhile, the Tigers spent four hours in the nets at the country's second Test venue.

As the players trained all eyes however were on two local boys of the port city -- Nafees Iqbal and Aftab Ahmed.

Nafees, who narrowly missed a half-century on debut in the second innings of the Dhaka Test, said that he was keen to make up for the mistake.

"I know this wicket better than anybody else and I want to leave my mark in front of fans here," said the 20-year-old opener.

Another Chittagong boy Aftab, who got his first Test call-up, said that he was excited at prospect of playing on the big stage provided he is in the final eleven.

"I have been included in the squad and if given a chance to play I'll try to cement my place," said Aftab, who got the nod after Bangladesh captain Habibul Bashar was forced to withdraw from the 13-member squad due to a thumb injury.
Old October 25, 2004, 05:09 AM

Accidentally ( if our luck is in favor ) we may able to get some runs in first innings, say around 300.
And the second innings? we all know what will happen,
another disaster as usual and the match will over within 4th day.
So the result may come as a defeat but not with innings. BD officials has nothing to say,
but "we did better than first test"
because we avoided innings defeat which will boost our players morals in coming series and so and so ( as usual ).
Finally as a fan we will focus on coming series after bashing someone or our fate as usual too.
That's why we call ourselves as fan and we have nowhere to go
and live with broken dreams for ever. ( I don't know how long ).
As a matter of fact, I call myself PoorFan as a nickname,
because we all the fans here are so desperate to see some improvement,
but had to see destruction of the team over and over.
I thought I will be able to change my name in near future when I register here 4 months ago, but I was so wrong.
Now it seems like, I will never be able to do that forever, even though some says 10 or 20 years it may take.
However, I am not giving up my hope yet and will stick to BD as a fan.
Besides, once I started as PoorFan, like to see the end, how long have to remain as a real poor fan.
So again as a fan, accidentally we may finish the match close or even more! who knows?
Old October 25, 2004, 05:49 AM
Cricket Legend

I think an aim for pushing it to day 5 or late on day 4 is a legitimate goal.
Old October 25, 2004, 05:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I wud like to see Rajin score a fifty for a change & take it from there...Just dunno wot happens to him every time he crosses the forty mark...
Old October 25, 2004, 05:56 AM
Cricket Legend

I wud like to see Rajin score a fifty for a change & take it from there...Just dunno wot happens to him every time he crosses the forty mark...
Old October 25, 2004, 06:05 AM
Cricket Legend

I like your repetition Shehwar. But I would also like to see Rajin with a 50 and maybe even a 100. he deserves it and is good enough to do it. Just needs patience. Take 2 days to do it the fans wont care as long as we make runs.
Old October 25, 2004, 06:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Thanx bourny3...Even though the repetition was a silly mistake..But i'll take it....Yeah...I completely agree with you..I'm a great fan of Rajin.....I have been ever since that series against Pakistan.....He has the strength, stamina & the technique to fight it out in the middle....I just feel he needs one big innings which will get him going.....Lets hope for the best..take care mate...
Old October 25, 2004, 06:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Rajin has a seriously case of Chopra-itis
Old October 25, 2004, 06:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Pardon me but wots a Chopra-itis ?
Old October 25, 2004, 06:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Getting out in the forties...Akash Chopra is best known for it
Old October 25, 2004, 07:01 AM
Cricket Legend

LoL...Ok..got that....thanx....
Old October 25, 2004, 07:34 AM
First Class Cricketer

Rafique and Haque Jr What a combo to at least make the 2nd test a competitive one. once again i hope the batsmen bat sensibly, man are they getting on my nerves, never has the batting clicked apart from the two occasions we scored 400+.

with no sarkar who will open? omar & ash??

PS: Leave off Rajin!! he will show the bangla spirit
Old October 25, 2004, 07:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Akash Chopra is also known for his unbeleivably slow scoring rate.
Old October 25, 2004, 07:36 AM
Cricket Legend

fy288 I think that Omar and Nafis will open. Hopefully Nafis will make a 50 like he missed out on in the 2nd innings of the first test.
Old October 25, 2004, 08:30 AM
Test Cricketer

i was watching the last match live. the recovery from 5/3 to 105/3 is a marvellous one. both rajin and ashraful played very sensible. their concentration, shot selection, determination..... yeah, very admirable. but, they seems to lost their concentration suddenly when they crossed 100 runs partnership. it was clearly readable such a message from their body language that we did our part, so now can relax. i had some innerfeeling that time that they will get out soon and it happened soon. that kind of feeling not generated from any anticipation/fear or something like that, but i dont know it developed seeing the way that they lost their rhythem.
and i would like to say that was the second turning point of the match, after that ridiculous score of 5/3.

the match came again in the hand of bd, but maccullm did extra ordinary to take away the match again. lot of missed opportunities and the long stay of maccullam again proved pilot's thinking was wrong. failure of seam bowlers and pilot's hesitation to depend on part time bowlers like rajin, ashraful, kapali and why not hannan? captain supposed to take more risk, if the game is slipping-out of the hand.

then the unfortunate dismissal of rajin saleh in the second innings. tv replay clearly showed he was not out. unfortunate continues..... nafee's runout... i repeat (already pointed-out in many threads) nafees should develope his maturity level little more. there was no need to hurry for a second run, when he was in 49 and importantly the team is in trouble and there was lot lot of time left in the match.

bd should think more on those points and importantly should try to take maximum cathces. catches win the matches. im still optimistic that if the things click in order, bd will create history. they lack something, but just one victory put them on top and they would be real tigers thenafter.
Old October 25, 2004, 09:53 AM
Cricket Legend

I don't expect the second test to be competitive at all, Bangladesh usually performs worse in Chittagong than they do in Dhaka (no stats, sorry, if someone can statistically prove me wrong I will stand corrected, this is just my perception). Why do they perform worse in chittagong ? These players hardly play any cricket there anymore other than the occasional test/odi. The chittagong wicket is slower and lower. Vettori has a shot at a 10-fer.
Old October 25, 2004, 10:05 AM
ODI Cricketer

I expect the match to last 3 days.......3.5 at max.

Karo upor borosha korar moto keu nai.
Old October 25, 2004, 10:16 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Habibul_fan
wel.. H_fan.. Rajin was probably given out caught behind wrongly in this match.. he was probably not out.
Old October 25, 2004, 10:44 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by crickethorizon
Quote:
Originally posted by Habibul_fan
wel.. H_fan.. Rajin was probably given out caught behind wrongly in this match.. he was probably not out.
That wrongfully given out just prevented any scope to expose his chopra-itis syndrom, cuz he was way behind being in forties, and I don't think H_fan was mentioning about the 2nd innings.
Old October 25, 2004, 01:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

we desperately need a score of 300 even it takes 200 overs to get it...our batsmen should just friggin learn to wage a war of attrition...in particular i'm talking to nafees. lets say our batting order is as follows:

javed (30 runs)
nafees (50)
aftab (20)
rajin (45)
ash (75)
rana (30)
mushfiq (25)
mashud (20)
rafique (25)
tapash (10)
enamul jr. (5)
Extras (15)

that brings us to a total of 350 runs...each of the players are capable of those numbers. however if the top order clicks they will get at least that many runs about. the tail, rafique on down will do one of two things in all likelyhood: score less than projected or more. if they score 30 runs less, we still have score of 320.

the next most important thing is not to let any NZ players settle at the crease...we need to take regular wickets. 139-5 should yield a max of 220 all out. then we need to hit for at least 250 in the second innings...the classic ingredients for a drawn test.
Old October 25, 2004, 03:20 PM
Test Cricketer

Ground Name: MA Aziz Stadium, Chittagong (1999/00-current)
Chittagong Stadium (-1998/99)
End Names: Pedrollo End, Ispahani End
Home Team: Chittagong Division
Old October 25, 2004, 03:21 PM
Test Cricketer

MA Aziz Stadium, Chittagong - Highest Partnership for Each Wicket in Test cricket

1 126 ME Trescothick & MP Vaughan England v Bangladesh 2003/04 f47023
2 131 Javed Omar & Habibul Bashar Bangladesh v South Africa 2003 f46794
3 429* JA Rudolph & HH Dippenaar South Africa v Bangladesh 2003 f46794
4 70 Younis Khan & Yousuf Youhana Pakistan v Bangladesh 2001/02 f45823
5 116 N Hussain & R Clarke England v Bangladesh 2003/04 f47023
6 123 CB Wishart & DA Marillier Zimbabwe v Bangladesh 2001/02 f45678
7 73 Alok Kapali & Enamul Haque Bangladesh v West Indies 2002/03 f46470
8 99 Yousuf Youhana & Saqlain Mushtaq Pakistan v Bangladesh 2001/02 f45823
9 36 Khaled Mashud & Manjural Islam Bangladesh v West Indies 2002/03 f46470
10 34 Khaled Mashud & Mohammad Sharif Bangladesh v Zimbabwe 2001/02 f45678
Old October 25, 2004, 03:23 PM
Test Cricketer