facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 28, 2012, 10:33 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Default Ponting Announces Retirement

It's up on CI twitter update, but no news yet. He'll be announcing his retirement in a bit.

https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/cricket-on-twitter

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Rick...ng%22&src=tren

Old November 28, 2012, 10:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Typo in the thread title.

And it was expected though. This retirement debate has been going on for a long time now. Good to see that he is not being as stubborn as Tendulkar.
Old November 28, 2012, 10:40 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

it's official now. I think it's the best move. If Aus have any chance of getting that Ashes back it has to be without him. It would've been very selfish move if he hang around to play that series. Now the team can prepare better.
Old November 28, 2012, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting. Two down, one to go.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old November 28, 2012, 11:07 PM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australi...ry/594213.html

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old November 28, 2012, 11:18 PM
ODI Cricketer

Ricky Ponting in my opinion is the greatest batsman of his generation along with Brian Lara. At his best he did not just score runs but scored them at such a pace that took the opposition out of the game. His 140 in world cup finals is an innings that none of his contemporary greats have come close to matching. And he will retire as a cricketer who has achieved more than anyone else in the history of the game. 3 world cups to his credit with 2 as captain. He is also one of the greatest fielders in the history of the game and one hell of a competitor, will be missed greatly. This for me is truly the end of an era.
Old November 28, 2012, 11:19 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Ricky Ponting announces retirement. #cricket #punter #legend
— Cricket Australia (@CricketAus) November 29, 2012

it's official now. I think it's the best move. If Aus have any chance of getting that Ashes back it has to be without him. It would've been very selfish move if he hang around to play that series. Now the team can prepare better.
Hats off to Dravid and Ponting ,it's not easy leaving at the right time but they have done the best they can. Punter has done what's best for the team, a true team player.
Old November 28, 2012, 11:27 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Dravid, Lara, Ponting. Two down, one to go.

Fixed. Don't even mention that stats hogging, personal milestone hunting guy in that group.

Plus now it's all #3 now.
Old November 28, 2012, 11:29 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

I thought Ponting's time was up a while ago. But part of me did want to see him score again. I think everyone did. Australia wanted him around with the younger players, also help Clarke set up his team. So he hang around for a little longer. But had he waited for the Ashes, then it would've been too, too late.

I hope he scores a 100 in his last test. That would be an awesome way to leave. (But then people might start questioning his decision)
Old November 28, 2012, 11:44 PM
ODI Cricketer

Last time I shed a tear during a cricket match was when The Prince of trinidad played his last match in 2007. And Perth test would probably be the last time, there's just no one left from the old generation that made me love this game so much (Wasim, Ambrose, Warnie, Gilly)
Old November 29, 2012, 12:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
Ricky Ponting in my opinion is the greatest batsman of his generation along with Brian Lara. At his best he did not just score runs but scored them at such a pace that took the opposition out of the game. His 140 in world cup finals is an innings that none of his contemporary greats have come close to matching. And he will retire as a cricketer who has achieved more than anyone else in the history of the game. 3 world cups to his credit with 2 as captain. He is also one of the greatest fielders in the history of the game and one hell of a competitor, will be missed greatly. This for me is truly the end of an era.
Agreed! What a legend of the game! For me Punter was the last reason to root for the Aussies. Not sure I can continue doing that any longer.
Old November 29, 2012, 12:08 AM
MLC World Series I

Though he might have been an arrogant prick, he is one of the best batsman of our generation.

Australia and Cricket will undoubtedly miss him. True Legend!

Farewell!
Old November 29, 2012, 12:44 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Sad way to go... should have done it while he was still in form. Champion player for Australia and stood out as the best even among the likes of Gilchrist, Hayden etc
Old November 29, 2012, 01:18 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

The end of an era. One of the greatest batsmen and fielders ever. One of the most complacent captains ever but unlike HaBa and Mushfiq, he had a team full of champions and leaders who made his captaincy look good.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old November 29, 2012, 01:31 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Liton Kumar Das

farewell...he's the reason i could rationalize my dirty habit of nail-biting! not any more ..

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old November 29, 2012, 02:24 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Champion Cricketer, didn't give an Inch.

Denied us the victory of all victories at Fatullah.

Strangely, Shahadat Hossian used to give him fits
Old November 29, 2012, 02:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

One of the greatest cricketer of Australia and World Cricket as well. Just because of he is arrogant, he is not supposed to be criticized. He deserves to be Arrogant. Some people tried to prove that he was not a good captain. But he was definitely the Best during his era. Even he is one of the best captain of all time.

Because, in international level result is the ultimate judgment criteria. Without success whatever your tactics are, you will not be judged as a good captain even. He was definitely successful with his team.

All the best for future Ponting
Old November 29, 2012, 03:58 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Funny how everyone is saying "the last one" "era is over"... helloooo? Kallis? Boy do people overlook him!
Old November 29, 2012, 04:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

End of an era. Even though I want South Africa to win Perth test, I also want Ponting to do very well in this test.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

i was following how Ponting was going in domestics before the test matches started and he was in blazing hot form. He was topping the run charts as well. I was confident that he would be scoring good runs against the Saffers but i was really shocked that he hadnt found his feet yet in the test series. But his career will be remembered for all those highs and he is truly a legend of the game. Hats off to Punter!
Old November 29, 2012, 04:22 AM
MLC World Series I

^ Yeah it's a sad thing. Was in good form with the bat for Tasmania but hasn't converted that into Tests. A shame, really!

But like someone said, legends know when to retire and to hang up their boots. And Ponting has made the right call.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I hope he makes a double in Perth - really want to see him leave on a high.

Old November 29, 2012, 09:12 AM
Cricket Sage

This offically marks the end of an Era. Ponting and Lee were the last ones standing from that team dominated the world for a long time. Good uck ponting. I hope he scores a century in this test.
Old November 29, 2012, 09:15 AM
Banned

Default A tribute to Ricky Ponting

Can’t say didn’t see this coming but still so hard to accept like Peter Siddle, “We don’t accept your retirement”. Was planning to watch Ponting play in a test for the last time at MCG against Srilanka on Boxing Day but that’s not going to happen now.

Ponting will be remembered by Australian cricket fans more for his contribution as a leader than his batting stats and tactical captain. He fought hard to prevent a downward slide after the retirements of McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist, Hayden and Langer. He wasn’t very successful in doing so but the Australians got to know what he is made of. He has been such a selfish leader, always put the team before him. It’s a known fact in Australian cricket that he helps the young players immensely in the nets even when he is out of form. In last summer against India Michael Clarke got injured during ODIs. Ponting took over the captaincy without hesitation although he was struggling for form. That got him dropped from the team eventually. We couldn’t see that type of selflessness from many players notably Tendulkar. In the words of Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland, “My respect for Ricky has actually gone up since he stepped down as capt” and in his own words, I’ve given cricket my all”. No wonder he was assured of retaining his place until next Ashes by the selection panel.

His passion and dedication for the game is unmatchable. At 37 Ponting is still one of the best fielders in word cricket. And he is always the last person to leave practice. Ponting mentioned many times that the only reason he was still playing because he wanted to go to England next year and regain the Ashes. Now that his Ashes dream is shattered he announced that he would still play out the season with Tasmania and Hobart Hurricanes as promised.

He has been a fierce competitor but an honest and humble human being. Even gracious at his exit, “Based on performances on this series, not good enough output for an Australian batsmen”. I remember during a test match in BD when police were beating journalists he ran out to them with bottle of water. The Ricky Ponting Foundation established by him raises money for young Australians with cancer.

Australian cricket team will never look the same without Ponting. It was heart wrenching to see someone like Michael Clarke breaking down in tears during the press conference today. Social media have been flooded with tributes from players he played with and against. The MPs in the parliament were throwing mud at each other. But as soon as they got the news of Ponting’s retirement they stopped bickering for a moment and the Prime Minister paid tribute to the legend.

It’s disappointing that Ponting won’t be a part of the Australian team to regain Ashes as he wished for but hope his team mates can give him the send off he deserves by beating South Africa in WACA and reclaiming the number one ranking. The great man will make his last test appearance today at the same ground he made his debut.

Some facts about Ricky Ponting:

 Ricky Ponting is the only cricketer to have participated in more than 100 test match victories for his side.
 Ponting spent 76 Tests as the top-ranked test batsman in the world ratings.
 Ponting has hit the winning run in a test record nine times.
 Ponting has the most test victories as captain: 48.
 Most consecutive test victories won as captain: 16, shared with Steve Waugh.
 Ponting is the only batsman in the history of cricket to score both centuries in his 100th test match - achieved against South Africa in 2005 scoring 120 and 143*.

(source:@cricketicc)
Old November 29, 2012, 09:19 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

We almost won the Fatullah test, but Ponting took that away from us. He is a great player but still think that this decision came out a bit late.

Hope he gets a 100 on his last match..He deserves to retire with a bang