facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 8, 2005, 10:09 PM
Retired BC Admin

Default Kenya inching backwards?

Comments from former coach, Andy Moles:

WorldCup 2003 "had a negative effect and led to the disintegration of the cricketing structure in the country."

"They were very talented cricketers but when they qualified for the semi-finals, one or two got a little bit too big for the game in terms of attitude, and didn't work as hard as they should have done."

"They all thought they were at a higher standard than they actually were, some believed they were the fourth best side in the world and sadly they were not."

"The players would not take on a team culture, they weren't prepared to explore new training techniques, as every other side in the world does, and their time keeping wasn't very good."

BBC: Moles happy to make fresh start >>

Looks like there are many sides of the coin when it comes to Kenyan cricket.

Old March 8, 2005, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

this is sad. really bad for the development of cricket. if teams like kenya become arrogant and lose it altogether in the process of turning into a respected opposition in the eyes of other test teams, it really hampers the globalization of the game.

Edited on, March 9, 2005, 3:28 AM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.
Old March 8, 2005, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

give us a couple of odi wins (let alone a place in a semi final in the world cup) and we will probably do the same thing (example - duleep, first two odi's against zim).
Old March 8, 2005, 10:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Not only players...kemyan cricket authority is equally liable. How come they do not pay the match fee and portion of other world cup rewards to the players. They held the money for over a year saying that they need to take care of the tax regulation issues before distributing the money.

I guess thats what you get when you have corrupted players as well as thieves in the cricket board.
Old March 8, 2005, 11:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Kenya played superbe in WC 2003 but now its all downhill, just like Zimbabwe except Zimbabwe can play (for 2 days of a test....LOL)
Old March 9, 2005, 11:23 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

mate don't laugh cause that might happen with us (2 day lose in england)
Old March 9, 2005, 12:37 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Well.. this is the coach's story.. and he is supposed to come up with some explanation for failures.But I don't think this downfall of Kenyan can only be the fault of the players alone.

Before and during the WC2003, Kenya became a really fast-rising side in cricket. But what happened next? They have their ODI status.. but does it give them enough exposure and International matches which they can develope themselves both in terms of Quality and Finance? How many matches do they play each year? Considering ICC's current mode of gameplanning..I doubt if they will be given Test Status any time soon...

To be frank... I assume that even the progress of Bangladesh Cricket would have met the same fate if ICC had left BD with the ODI status and delayed BD's Test Debut a few years more. Because BD would get the tiny amount of matches to play against the Quality Nations(just like Kenya now)... and sponsors wouldn't have been interested in our cricket and BCB itself wouldn't hav had any money to afford High profile coaches or High budget Age group trainings or tours!

And without playing regular matches against Quality Sides... how are the players supposed to know their actual level or standard?
Old March 9, 2005, 01:05 PM
Test Cricketer

its sad to see what is happening to kenyan cricket. they had some quality players like tikalo maurice odumbe, thomas odouyo. i thought ICC should have given them chance to play more international match after 2003 world cup. but their cricket board should have used the sucess of the world cup to strengthen there cricket structure in kenya. they were very close to getting test status but now they are falling back again.
Old March 9, 2005, 02:07 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by crickethorizon
Well.. this is the coach's story.. and he is supposed to come up with some explanation for failures.But I don't think this downfall of Kenyan can only be the fault of the players alone.

Before and during the WC2003, Kenya became a really fast-rising side in cricket. But what happened next? They have their ODI status.. but does it give them enough exposure and International matches which they can develope themselves both in terms of Quality and Finance? How many matches do they play each year? Considering ICC's current mode of gameplanning..I doubt if they will be given Test Status any time soon...

To be frank... I assume that even the progress of Bangladesh Cricket would have met the same fate if ICC had left BD with the ODI status and delayed BD's Test Debut a few years more. Because BD would get the tiny amount of matches to play against the Quality Nations(just like Kenya now)... and sponsors wouldn't have been interested in our cricket and BCB itself wouldn't hav had any money to afford High profile coaches or High budget Age group trainings or tours!

And without playing regular matches against Quality Sides... how are the players supposed to know their actual level or standard?
I don't read the same into the same article and in the audio interview. Did you read the same one? He comments on some players and on equal problems with the authorities. He says they did not have enough high standard cricket and that players did have legitimate complaints about their treatment. However he didn't agree with some saying they would strike the day before a game or before getting on a plane. I think he is just extremely relieved to be away from it all, including threatening phone calls.

Edited on, March 9, 2005, 7:15 PM GMT, by Trueblue.
Old March 9, 2005, 02:30 PM
Retired BC Admin

Trueblue, how's he doing with your team? I heard you guys were very excited to have him. Hope he can truly turn things around towards your test quest.
Old March 9, 2005, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

yeah...the scotties' one day status is around the corner, isn't it? hope he does a good job in britain.
Old March 9, 2005, 03:01 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Trueblue
I don't read the same into the same article and in the audio interview. Did you read the same one?...
no u got my point wrong..
I din't read it in the story.. rather wrote what other reasons might also have affected cricket development and players mentality in Kenya..
Old March 9, 2005, 05:19 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by chinaman
Trueblue, how's he doing with your team? I heard you guys were very excited to have him. Hope he can truly turn things around towards your test quest.
Hey, thanks for the interest.

Mr Moles has just started as the coach. He is now the first full time coach Scotland have ever had but he is only in contract until September. So he has got a pre-season warm-up planned, part of which includes the squad going up into the snow in the Scottish Highlands for some bonding!

As for being very excited, well it's a bit more complicated. Our previous Australian coach was only part-time. He is the coach for a top club side. He took a lot of criticism from some in the couple of years he was involved. Almost as much as a Bangladesh coach. However by the time he left a lot thought that he had done a good job and should stay. After all in our last four games we have beaten Bangladesh (sorry), Derbyshire, Kenya and Canada. Also the team is not expected to change for the World Cup qualifiers. Why change things?

But our problem is money. Our players are amateurs and play in their holidays. The full-time position of new coach has been created through a sports grant. and is paid like this. So should we have said no to that offer from the sports authorities? We don't get much support like that after all. The previous coach did not apply. One reason was that he did not see what a full-time coach could do with part-time players.

Still I think we have a very good team spirit and so it will be hard for a new coach to upset things and a different perspective may give some players an edge. Lets hope so!

As for one day status I have my doubts. Scotland does not have the right characteristics for a new cricket nation and an insufficient profile. For example we often get missed out of a list of possibles. Nor are we a 'new' and sexy location e.g. Holland or USA. We are too close to England. I think this means that we would need to win everything and some high profile games as well.

So do you want to play us again this summer?

Edited on, March 9, 2005, 10:25 PM GMT, by Trueblue.
Old March 9, 2005, 05:33 PM
Retired BC Admin

That was a nice summary. Your players are talented and ready to give it all. But yeah, sponsorsip and professionalism do count as much. Good luck to you guys and please keep us posted.

About the summer, I don't know, may be one is good for few years
Old March 9, 2005, 09:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

I doubt BD can loe in 2 days but you are right it could happen. Of course if opposition bat first they will take up most of the first day and some of second. And we will almost be past 2 days. LOL
Old March 10, 2005, 03:50 AM
Cricket Legend

How could making the world cup semis have a negative effect.
Old March 10, 2005, 03:52 AM
Cricket Legend

I dont understand how this would disadvantage the players.
Old March 19, 2005, 06:26 PM
Test Cricketer

ICC announces investigation into crisis

Kenya to lose ODI member status

Cricinfo staff

March 18, 2005

Percy Sonn: will assist ACA in dealings with Kenyan cricket © Getty Images

The ICC executive has decided to recommend to its annual general meeting in June that Kenya be stripped of its status as an ODI member and will revert to being as associate member. The executive, who have been meeting in Dubai, also announced that the Africa Cricket Association (ACA) would be looking into the ongoing crisis in the country.

The ICC accepted an offer by the ACA to travel to Kenya to speak with the parties involved in the current dispute to see if a resolution to the current impasse is possible. The ACA will be assisted by Percy Sonn, the ICC's vice-president, and will report to the executive on the findings of this visit and its view on whether the current issues can be resolved.

At the same time, the ICC will continue with the initiative of an independent commission to develop a new constitution for cricket in Kenya. This commission, which was established last year, has been in limbo since the announcement of the formation of Cricket Kenya in January.

Another blow to the Kenyan Cricket Association came with the news that that suspension of the special funding from the ICC would continue, although the executive did agree to release the $54,000 associate member entitlement to help "deal with the pressing financial obligations of the KCA."

Kenya's loss of one-day membership almost exactly two years after they reached the World Cup semi-finals will be a bitter pill to swallow and is clearly a result of the bitter in-fighting which has blighted Kenyan cricket for so long. But it will retain its one-day status for matches against Test-playing countries and also against other members of the top six associates.

Source: CricInfo
Old March 19, 2005, 06:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Trueblue...what exactly was Peter Drinnen's role?
Old March 19, 2005, 07:21 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Habibul_fan
Trueblue...what exactly was Peter Drinnen's role?
Another good question. Peter Drinnen was a summer coach/professional in Scotland with a club side for about nine years where apparently he did a good job in youth development. Then he took a job in charge of youth development for Scotland e.g. youth programmes etc. He was in that for about nine months before there was a decision to have a Scotland Technical Director for cricket. Another new position which again was supported by the national sports authority. We have to keep them happy and take advantage of any support offered! He applied, got interviewed by Bob Woolmer (from the ICC) amongst others, and got the job and has been in it for about a year. So he oversees the purely cricket aspects for Scotland e.g. in charge of those responsible for youth development, liasing with the Scotland coach who was part-time remember, running and giving coaching courses for players and coaches in the clubs, the hierarchy of national teams, starting an Academy squad, sorting out the backroom support and facilities, player selection, supporting women's cricket, etc, etc, etc.

So as usual a complicated answer, or more simply there has been no change in his role. Of course being in Brisbane you probably know of his cricket work there. Have you spotted the influx of Scotland players?He has placed them in a cricket academy there and they are playing grade cricket. I think there are about six or seven now plus a district U19 tour arriving in a couple of weeks.

Now admit it you really didn't want to know all that did you. Has Bangladesh got a Technical Director or equivalent?

Edited on, March 20, 2005, 12:44 AM GMT, by Trueblue.
Old March 19, 2005, 07:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Quote:
Peter Drinnen was a summer coach/professional with a club side for about nine years where apparently he did a good job in youth development
Yeah, I trained under him in that time
Old March 21, 2005, 09:18 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by akabir77
wont happen mate coz BD team will have 12th man on pitch with them, thats the huge expat sylheti BD crew!!!
Old March 21, 2005, 01:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally posted by fy288
Quote:
Originally posted by akabir77
wont happen mate coz BD team will have 12th man on pitch with them, thats the huge expat sylheti BD crew!!!
Well wish you golden sylheti crew GOOD LUCK