facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 9, 2006, 10:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara
Default Google buys Youtube.

i dont know if its the best decision or not cause google video is really bad. but still those 3 youtube founders are really reach now. google bought it for $1.6 bl US. whoa thats a lot of money. and one of the founders dad is Bangladeshi.

heres a small part of a report on that in bbcnews.com. to read the whole thing go here

The two companies will continue to operate independently, Google said as it announced the news on Monday.
YouTube, launched in February 2005, has grown quickly into one of the most popular websites on the internet.
It has 100 million videos viewed every day and an estimated 72 million individual visitors each month.

Old October 10, 2006, 01:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

What do you mean one of the founders' father is Bangladeshi. but the kid isn't bengali?

It amzes me that goog share goes up when it acquires. I am pretty sure, youtube (short clip viewing and interaction) is definitely the way we will be entertained (it basically replacing TV viewing)....

But still Goog FAILED with their own videos. So they should have been punished for htat.
Old October 10, 2006, 01:44 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
.....his dad was a briliant student in Momenshahi Cadet College....
Hello all. Please read the bold. It should be Mirzapur Cadet College. Thank you very much. Nasif, tumi koi? ektu buk chapratey tho paro? Shob kisu amar upor cherey diley hobey ki korey? Ar ekta pagol to notun close-up one niye basto. Moin Khan, hasib if you guys read this, post a line or two here. Afterall, We are all MECA members.

Go MCC!!

P.S. Thank you Fazal for the news. Feeling a little proud now.
Old October 10, 2006, 01:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

test
Old October 10, 2006, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Default Where is Javed?

Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jawed_Karim

and

http://www.jawed.com/
Old October 10, 2006, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jawed_Karim

and

http://www.jawed.com/
I posted this after oprhy's but it showed up here. Ok. We are working on to resolve this thread issue.
Old October 10, 2006, 03:04 PM

kid is paki.
Old October 10, 2006, 04:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

wat just happened here. i see qoutes of posts before they are posted. is there any problems.
Old October 10, 2006, 05:14 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
"Time for our fund raisers to contact him

Google just agreed to acquire YouTube for $1.65B in stock to expand its ad inventory and shore up its video sharing site. Cofounder Jawed Karim will no doubt soon be judging the Miss Bangladesh pageant like a Bangla Sabeer Bhatia He appears to have a Bangla dad and a German mom.
Like Marc Andreessen, Karim (adviser) and cofounder Steve Chen (CTO) went to Urbana-Champaign. Karim graduated in CS/Engineering two years ago. He’s now a CS master’s student at Stanford (resume). Cofounder Chad Hurley (CEO) attended Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
Estimates of how much the three cofounders will make range from $100-200M each, pre-tax."---dristipath
Old October 10, 2006, 06:16 PM

thanks for the clarification Fazal. A few days ago I came across somewhere that he is pakistani. Apparently my source was wrong.

this is the first video uploaded on youtube... pretty unremarkeable video, but as it turns out, historic now

Old October 10, 2006, 08:24 PM
Cricket Sage

Old October 10, 2006, 08:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Where is Javed?
Here he is dancing....

Old October 10, 2006, 08:56 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Goon on them guys, who started the YouTube thing.
Goes to show how a simple idea could turn out to be a brilliant one.

Damn, they are freakishly rich now.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old October 10, 2006, 09:15 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

This is a good move by both party. Google has the expertise and resources to expand Youtube, while Google video sucks and now Youtube will provide a better, unified service for its audience. As long as the service remains free and uninterrupted, it's all good.
Old October 10, 2006, 10:03 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
kid is paki.
No..he is not a Paki..... I Talked with that Kid in Minnesota a few years ago. His Name is Jawed Karim. He is most likely 26-27 years old.

His Dad (Naimul Karim) is from Bangladesh .....his dad was a briliant student in Momenshahi Cadet College....his mom is from Germany. Both of his parents have Phds. Dad is a scientist for 3M and Mom in Univ of Minnesota. His Dad has atleast a dozens of Patents (in his name).So looks like he got his Dad's gene.

He was born in Germany... migrated to USA while he was high school. Graduated from Univeristy of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Joined Pay Pal even before he garduated. Made Millions out of stock options and then all three friends from paypal/eBay(I guess) opened this company. Currently he is doing his MS in Stanford.

He never lived in BD. But he visied Bangladesh 3/4 times with his parents. He is the eldest out of the two. I was told that younger one (12th Grade) is much more talented (in Maths and CS) than him. But he wants to be a musician.

Any way his Dad's grand-parents are from Comilla. So I guess we can claim he is also from Comilla.

Any way I am really happy for him. He is really a nice person.
Old October 10, 2006, 10:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Where is Javed?
Old October 11, 2006, 07:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
What do you mean one of the founders' father is Bangladeshi. but the kid isn't bengali?

It amzes me that goog share goes up when it acquires. I am pretty sure, youtube (short clip viewing and interaction) is definitely the way we will be entertained (it basically replacing TV viewing)....

But still Goog FAILED with their own videos. So they should have been punished for htat.
His name is Jawed Karim half banglaeshi, half German. Graduated from stanford.

Old October 12, 2006, 07:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Yes Fazal you are right about Jawed, he was in couple of my CS classes at university of illinois. Infact he just graduated only a year before me(2004).

He has been to Bangladesh and you can check out the pics from his trip at:
http://www.jawed.com/pictures/bangladesh/

Nice guy, I hope he does something for Bangladesh..
Old October 13, 2006, 01:22 AM
Cricket Legend

He looks more German than Bangladeshi.

But anyway, does anyone know how much he is worth now?
Old October 13, 2006, 04:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Mr. Karim, who is 27, became visibly uncomfortable when the subject turned to money, and he would not say what he stands to make when Google’s purchase of YouTube is completed. He said only that he is one of the company’s largest individual shareholders, though he owns less of the company than his two partners, whose stakes in the company are likely to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars, according to some estimates. The deal was so enormous, he says, that his share was still plenty big.
“The sheer size of the acquisition almost makes the details irrelevant,” Mr. Karim said
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/12/te...Ya32k73ha5j0/g
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolf_hitler

Last edited by imtiaz82; October 13, 2006 at 04:06 AM..
Old October 13, 2006, 08:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

Based on news (Inidan web site - cannot get the link), Jawed gave away 50% of his share to goback to school (Stanford) for MS/Phd. But still holds 10% of the YouTube. That makes him 165 Million (before tax). Plus he was already millioner (2-3 millions) from his Paypal stocks.

Based on that news:

Sequoia Partners --the venture caspitalist -- gets 30% of the share
Chen gets - 20%
Hurley gets - 20%
jawed gets - 10%
Rest of the 65 employee gets 20%

Please note these are all speculation. As Jawed or the other owners are not opening their mouth about their share.
Old October 18, 2006, 02:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Young Turks on the dark side of the moon
Naeem Mohaiemen

"I'm not actually from India, you know," said Samad.
Poppy Burt-Jones looked surprised and disappointed. "You're not?"
"No. I'm from Bangladesh."
"Bangladesh..."
"Previously Pakistan. Previous to that, Bengal."
"Oh, right. Same sort of ball-park, then."
"Just about the same stadium, yes."
[White Teeth, Zadie Smith]
The American mediascape is agog about Google's $1.65 billion acquisition of YouTube.com this week. The central "wow" factor is the insanely high valuation for a company that is only a year old, representing a return to the "irrational exuberance" of the first Internet mania (from which I carry battle scars). Much has been made about "Web 2.0," which is supposed to represent the new model of Internet startups -- steady leadership, bottom line focused, and no more crazy parties. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen, but the zero-to-hero trajectory of YouTube has everyone using cliches like "paradigm shift" once again.

Discussing YouTube on San Francisco radio, I focused on the third co-founder of the company -- 27 year-old Jawed Karim, a graduate student who made a fortune as the third-highest equity holder. He also generated instant clout with his track record (he was an early member of PayPal, which was bought by eBay). The youth factor is also an immense lure for an age-obsessed media cycle. More important for my own intervention purposes are Jawed's Bangladeshi-German roots. DNA is not destiny (far from it) and nurture is the real determinant, but you can still spin this as a story of another Bengali doing quirky, unconventional projects.

While the US media is ga-ga over YouTube (the New York Times lead Business story -- with photo -- was about Jawed), there has been little coverage of the story in Dhaka. No doubt that will change in the next few days, but it's interesting to note a seven-day lag on this story with a Bangladesh link in the Bangladeshi media, long after the CNN canines have chewed the story dry.

In a comparable high profile story involving an Indian, the Indian and Indian-American press runs at light speed to cover it. Kiran Desai winning the Booker, DJ Rekha's album release, Raju Narisetti becoming Deputy Editor of Wall Street Journal, Gautam Malkani's Hounslow rudeboys in Londonstani, Jagdish Bhagwati's nomination for Nobel Prize, Rana Dasgupta's shimmering ephemera in Tokyo Cancelled, Indra Nooyi becoming CEO of Pepsi, Shashi Tharoor's nomination for UN Secretary General, Jhumpa Lahiri's Pulitzer, Fareed Zakaria's tenure as Newsweek International editor, Sabeer Bhatia's founding of Hotmail, Rajat Gupta's time as head of McKinsey -- every single one of these stories has been celebrated (often to excess) in the Indian press.

This can even lead to over-extending, as with front page stories celebrating Norah Jones' multi-Grammy sweep (her father is Ravi Shankar), even though Jones herself does not (publicly) claim a primarily South Asian identity. The NRI bloc has been so critical in molding India's global image, even crusty citizenship laws have been changed to create a new category of PIO (Persons of Indian Origin) passports. An excess of "India Shining" may lead to nausea in the audience, and the intersection with Indian superpower designs are a potential danger. But on a simpler level, the focus on diaspora accomplishes a limited goal of instilling optimism.

By contrast, the Bangla media are slow on the uptake to talk about the widespread younger diaspora. Deeder Zaman (Asian Dub Foundation), Akram Khan (Sacred Monsters), Moushumi Khan (Muslim Bar Association of NY), Farook Shamsher (Joi), Aziz Huq (former clerk for US Supreme Court), Sham Miah (Vol de Nuit), Sam Zaman (State of Bengal), Abeer Hoque (Olive Witch), Aladdin Ullah (Port Authority Throw Down), Shazna Nessa (Milky), Monami Maulik (DRUM), Fariba Alam (Bangla East Side), Shireen Pasha (Roti Eaters), Monica Ali (Alentejo Blues), Chaumtoli Huq (Taxi Workers' Alliance), Dishad Husain (Viva Liberty), Ivan Jaigirdar (3rd I), and many others are not covered comprehensively or quickly.
When the voracious Chernobyl virus invaded the Internet, a young student of BUET programmed an anti-virus in 24 hours. If he had been an Indian student of IIT, the Consulate would have ensured that he was on CNN by live satellite link within hours. But I had to wait two years until the BUET wunderkind came to graduate school in the US to meet him. Living inside the New York media frenzy, I look at the wall-to-wall coverage of Indians in the media and think that Bengalis are the little engine that could travel really far -- if only the Bangla press would wake up.
I am always wary of excessive nationalism because it can quickly lead to chauvinism and exclusion. We only need consider our horrendous record in Chittagong Hill Tracts to see the dark side of nationalism. There is also a deep contradiction in gaining domestic applause after validation from a Western power structure. But at the current crisis crossroads, we could do with an injection of optimism and inspiration from unconventional locations. A decade ago, Mahfuz Anam gave a heartfelt lecture at Columbia University about the Bangla diaspora. But The Daily Star and others have been slow to follow the lead of those words.
Media profiles do not have to focus only on middle class professionals, or the sons and daughters of "established" people back home (the latter would only re-inscribe hierarchies and local elites). There are many other stories to track down -- the near monopoly of Bengalis in Brooklyn's brownstone renovation business, the Bengali head cheese buyer at Balducci's, the huge bloc of Bengalis in the pugnacious taxi drivers' union, the Sylheti clan's dominance of "Indian" restaurants in London and New York, the packed-to-the-gills Belgian bar-restaurant and trendy East Village hotspots, the new young Bengali activists in New York's immigrant rights battle, and the men who commandeered a signature campaign for International Mother Tongue Day.
We can also attempt, emotionally and politically, to embrace a pan-Bengali identity and take the success stories of West Bengalis as part of our mosaic. The network can extend to projects that have a Bangla link, such as My Architect (we failed to build on the buzz around that film's Oscar nomination), and Telling Nicholas (HBO documentary about 9/11 that features a Bengali family).

Current politics is a death-bound roller coaster, and the passengers can't disembark. People are always banging on about the resulting short supply of optimism. Dr. Yunus's Nobel Prize will bring a new rush of energy into the national psyche. Many more role models are also needed. The stories are there, inside and outside the borders -- vested with the tireless activists, Young Turks, and culture agitators.
http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/10/...0191502102.htm
Old October 19, 2006, 08:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Whats funny is that in the video where the owners talk about the youtube sale, Jawed is not there. This news has hit the newspaper here aswell, none show him or mention him anywhere....only Hurley and Chen.
Old October 20, 2006, 11:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Whats funny is that in the video where the owners talk about the youtube sale, Jawed is not there. This news has hit the newspaper here aswell, none show him or mention him anywhere....only Hurley and Chen.
Bujhai jai je sha bangaali.. I mean who else but a bengali (advice/brainwash from parents) would go to school when a good business opportunity presents itself. His education just cost him 200 million dollars.

eitehr way, his current wealth just popped up by 8% thanks to Google (goog). Google just amazes me.
Old October 20, 2006, 12:10 PM
Cricket Guru

So Orpheus u saying he is going to school evening winning all those greens.