facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 7, 2013, 01:56 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReZ_1
Hotat kore tuki mare ese raag kore abar chole gelo... he should have know bc have full of ipl haters..
lol it's not just in BC. If you go some other neutral forums, or hell, even a non-cricket forums and mention something that you don't like about the IPL, they will jump out of no where and cast you as a IPL hater, instead of reading what you have to say or provide with a proper point.

Old April 7, 2013, 02:01 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

IPL can provide great match-ups like Gayle vs Steyn. Or a mix of Sachin and Ponting batting together, which I'm yet to watch. But until they make it about THOSE things, and those things only, and get rid fugly yellow bollywood stained ****, neutral fans will never like the IPL. Good thing there are a gazillion Indians or else "IPL haters" would've out numbered the fans by now.

I tried my best to not waste my time on a thread titled under IPL, but thanks to him, I've got myself into a yet another old IPL argument.
Old April 7, 2013, 02:08 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Dillu, stop complaining. Stop comparing.

You dont have to "get it", cuz surely they have "figured it out".
You better try to figure out how they got it.
Its a billion dollar domestic tournament, successfully running into its 6th year.

Its just not an apple v apple, if you are comparing it with other domestics leagues around the world.
I dont follow NBL or MLB, so I dont know how many games they run every day/week.
But you seem to be leaving out the most basic and important factor, ie, commercial value of the media right.

The very foundation of survival for any sport is the commercial value it receives from the tv and other media rights, which depends on the number of viewership coupled with consumer purchase power and other factors.

Now if you compare an US or European league with that of India, just remember US has a per capita income of approx USD 48,000, compared to USD 3600 for an Indian. That is 13 Indian for every American, while the population in India is roughly about 3.5 times than that of US.
In America, where they can sustain a league with simultaneous multiple games might not be the scenario in India. IPL needs a much bigger audience than that of US or Europeans to sustain their billion dollar tag.

Another factor is strategic. During session 1, IPL was much shorter and finished much quickly. But as they have become more stable and grown in stature, they have in de-facto, created this IPL window in the international cricket calender and now simply exerting that power.
None of the major cricket teams have any international schedule during the IPL session, with only England V NZ test by the end of it, in mid May.

Like it or not, so far, it is working just fine for them.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old April 7, 2013, 02:09 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any smart *** spot fixers

Why cant BPL organisers arrange few super over matches involved with Rangpur!? Seeing this IPL, they seems have good boost up planning for help out new comer like Sun risers.
Old April 7, 2013, 02:32 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Dillu, stop complaining. Stop comparing.

You dont have to "get it", cuz surely they have "figured it out".
You better try to figure out how they got it.
Its a billion dollar domestic tournament, successfully running into its 6th year.

Its just not an apple v apple, if you are comparing it with other domestics leagues around the world.
I dont follow NBL or MLB, so I dont know how many games they run every day/week.
But you seem to be leaving out the most basic and important factor, ie, commercial value of the media right.

The very foundation of survival for any sport is the commercial value it receives from the tv and other media rights, which depends on the number of viewership coupled with consumer purchase power and other factors.

Now if you compare an US or European league with that of India, just remember US has a per capita income of approx USD 48,000, compared to USD 3600 for an Indian. That is 13 Indian for every American, while the population in India is roughly about 3.5 times than that of US.
In America, where they can sustain a league with simultaneous multiple games might not be the scenario in India.

Another factor is strategic. During session 1, IPL was much shorter and finished much quickly. But as they have become more stable and grown in stature, they have in de-facto, created this IPL window in the international cricket calender and now simply exerting that power.
None of the major cricket teams have any international schedule during the IPL session, with only England V NZ test by the end of it, in mid May.

Like it or not, so far, it is working just fine for them.
Sure, it's very successful, based on cricket standards. I never tried to deny it. But that doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with it. They stretched and stretched and stretched just to make it long. I don't know what all the comparison between economical status between the US and India relation to this. But you can't tell me they couldn't have started Pune vs Punjab and RCB vs Sunrisers game today at once.

Quality/quantity.
Old April 7, 2013, 03:23 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Sure, it's very successful, based on cricket standards.
It is a domestic cricket league in India, what do you prefer its comparison should be based upon, snowboarding in Hawaii ?

There are no other domestic cricket league you can compare IPL with, and no other sports in India that it can domestically challenge with. So much is its impact in India, that even Bollywood does not release any blockbuster movies during IPL session in fear of box office failure. And you'd think that those Indians are pretty crazy about their happy dancing Bollywood cr@p.

Quote:
But that doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with it. They stretched and stretched and stretched just to make it long.
Ofcourse it is not perfect. It can have failures too, but don't think not having simultaneous multiple games would be one of the factors causing it. As a matter of fact, it might quite be the opposite.

Quote:
I don't know what all the comparison between economical status between the US and India relation to this. But you can't tell me they couldn't have started Pune vs Punjab and RCB vs Sunrisers game today at once.

Quality/quantity.
Which part of simple economics you didn't get ?
Yes, they could have started not just two but 5 games at once, today and every day.
What stops then ?

Revenue from viewership and sponsors.
ROI is higher for the investors when the viewership is uncontested, uninterrupted and undivided. That means IPL can charge more for each game compared to what it could have if there were 2 games at a time.
So much is the power of this uncontested viewership in the Indian media industry, the super annoying "purposely sent from hell" indian channel Star Plus is spending a whopping INR 50 Crore on IPL advertisement with their boundary line digital billboards and prize money at the end of each game where the prize is being paid by one of their numerous soap opera stars.

Why ? Because the prime time TV slot will be dominated by IPL for the next two months and this is their strategic move to be in touch with their viewers with a constant reminder to come back to them after the IPL show ends.

Quality/Quantity ? The number of matches does not change if the frequency of match increases. So it doesn't have any impact on it.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old April 7, 2013, 05:43 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
It is a domestic cricket league in India, what do you prefer its comparison should be based upon, snowboarding in Hawaii?
I'm not disagreeing compared to other cricket leagues IPL is the most successful one. But Modi dared to even go as far as to compared it to Nba, Nfl. He even said its already more succesful compared to EPL at its early days. So lets...

But we all know the obvious answer to that. And that's not what I'm arguing.

Quote:
Ofcourse it is not perfect. It can have failures too, but don't think not having simultaneous multiple games would be one of the factors causing it. As a matter of fact, it might quite be the opposite.

Which part of simple economics you didn't get ?
Yes, they could have started not just two but 5 games at once, today and every day.
What stops then ?

Revenue from viewership and sponsors.
ROI is higher for the investors when the viewership is uncontested, uninterrupted and undivided. That means IPL can charge more for each game compared to what it could have if there were 2 games at a time.
So much is the power of this uncontested viewership in the Indian media industry, the super annoying "purposely sent from hell" indian channel Star Plus is spending a whopping INR 50 Crore on IPL advertisement with their boundary line digital billboards and prize money at the end of each game where the prize is being paid by one of their numerous soap opera stars.

Why ? Because the prime time TV slot will be dominated by IPL for the next two months and this is their strategic move to be in touch with their viewers with a constant reminder to come back to them after the IPL show ends.

Quality/Quantity ? The number of matches does not change if the frequency of match increases. So it doesn't have any impact on it.
I don't think we understand what I was getting at. I am not saying running more than one game will make it better or worse, I frankly don't care about what would be best for IPL. That was never the point I was trying to make. I only want them to speed up the schedule.

But since you wanna talk about whats best, running multiple games won't hurt them either. If they run 4 games, then IPL will run on 4 different network instead of one, they can dominate prime time on more than one station. Instead of one, 4 stations will pay to broadcast matches, and more ch also means more room for commercials. More games a day = more sources for money.

But again, IDC about any of that though. My point is when a mini league like this runs for over 2 months, it says something about the slowness of the schedule. You talk about that window, they shouldn't be allowed such a long window, just so they can run one game a day.
Old April 7, 2013, 10:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: rahul dravid

Today 8pm
Rajasthan Royals
Vs
Kolkata Knight Riders
Old April 8, 2013, 09:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Kolkata Won The toss & elected to bowl first
Old April 8, 2013, 09:35 AM
MLC World Series I

Watson doesn't look confident. My fantasy team is doomed.
Old April 8, 2013, 09:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Overseas players:
KKR - Jack Kallis,Eion Morgan, Bret Lee and Sunile Narine.
RR - Shane Watson, Shaun Tait,Brad Hodge,Kevon Cooper
Old April 8, 2013, 09:43 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

what a shot by Watto

and he's gone next ball
Old April 8, 2013, 10:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Very Good Spell From Bret Lee 3 Over Just 13 Run 1 Wkt
Old April 8, 2013, 10:43 AM
Cricket Legend

what happened to Watto's bat?
Old April 8, 2013, 11:02 AM
Cricket Legend

B.lee
4 over 20 run 1 wkt
# respect
Old April 8, 2013, 11:05 AM
Cricket Legend

17 Run From Sunil Narine's last Over
11 from his first 3 over
Old April 8, 2013, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Brad Hodge is the man, probably the second best T20 batsman in the world.
Old April 8, 2013, 11:15 AM
Cricket Legend

RR 144/6
20 OVER
GOOD BATTING FROM 46*(31 BALL)
TARGET For KKR IS 145
Old April 8, 2013, 08:31 PM
Cricket Guru

So, kkr could not chase modest target of 145 with this batting line up !
Old April 9, 2013, 04:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Credit must given to rr bowlers
Old April 9, 2013, 04:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Today @ 4 Pm
RCB VS SRH
(GAYLE AB KOHLI DILSHAN MURALI)
VS
(STYEN SANGAKARA C.WHITE PERERA VIHARI)
Old April 9, 2013, 04:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Srh had won the previous game against rcb.
Old April 9, 2013, 07:14 AM
Cricket Legend

SRH Finishes with 161/6
Old April 9, 2013, 07:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Cameron White 52 (34) 3x6 3x4

Thisara Perera 40 (24) 1x6 4x4
Old April 9, 2013, 08:25 AM
Cricket Guru