facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 2, 2010, 03:15 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib Al-hassan
Default Excellent lessons for BD playersd

Opening innings with Sehwag
has its own peril: Gambhir

Press Trust of India . Mumbai

Opening the innings with Virender Sehwag has its own peril since the right-hander makes batting look ridiculously easy but Gautam Gambhir believes he still manages to hold his own because he doesn’t try to match his partner shot by shot.
In an interview with PTI before leaving for the tri-series in Bangladesh, Gambhir shared his batting philosophy which revolves around his own strength, rather than his partner’s influence.
‘I just try to be myself. I know areas where I’m strong at and play accordingly, rather than thinking what Sehwag is doing at the other end,’ Gambhir said. ‘I have my own game, I have my own style. One good thing that happened with me is that I came to know my game much early in my career. I know my strength and I play according to it. That’s what I always try to do, rather than going out of my comfort zone.
‘I don’t try things I cannot do. You cannot take challenges which you are not upto,’ he explained. In recent times, Gambhir has evolved from just another swashbuckler from the Delhi stable to a batsman for all seasons and even though he has to vacate the opener’s slot in ODIs for Sachin Tendulkar, Gambhir said he relished the challenge of batting at number three which allows him to prove his versatility.
‘Batting at number three is the toughest job. There are times when you have lost an early wicket, and you’ve got to consolidate and at the same time, capitalise on the first 10-15 overs of the powerplays.
‘You also have to carry on the momentum. You should be able to play both the games ?’- to consolidate and carry the momentum. That’s why it’s tough,’ Gambhir said.
‘When you open, you have all the freedom in the world to go out and play your shots because there are other people who would take care of the rest. But at number three, you have to build a partnership and you can’t waste balls or time either.
‘In the past, I played one way. I just went in and started playing my shots. But I wanted to play the other way also to see if I can do that as well,’ he said.
Talking about his transformation, Gambhir said he realised soon that posturing in borrowed plumes doesn’t help.
In the past, I tried to be very flamboyant. But when you are trying to be more aggressive than you actually are, you are going to throw away your wicket. You may get 30-40 quickly but you are not going to get big runs which really matter. The more shots you play, the more chances you have of getting out,’ he said

http://www.newagebd.com/2010/jan/03/spt.html

Old January 2, 2010, 03:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Hope that his philosophy is going to be wrong this time.