facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 20, 2006, 12:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Bujhai jai je sha bangaali.. I mean who else but a bengali (advice/brainwash from parents) would go to school when a good business opportunity presents itself.
I don't think you are accurate by making a generalized assumption in this case. Trust me. I know a lit bit about Jawed and his dad. I talked with both of them. At that time he was already millioner from his pay-pal job, opened Youtube and decided to go for Graduate school.

Jawed was never pressured by his parents in terms of his education. Actually his dad mentioned to us (in a party) he always wanted his son to have a normal balanced life, was worried not be too much nerdy type of guy. For example, Jawed decided to join PayPal even before fininshing his degree. He seeked advice from his parents, but at the end, it was his decision. He already proved that he is not that kind of conventional brainwashed bengali type of boy. Then again, his going back to school, and sacrificing stocks was also his own decision, not his parent's. he seeked advice from his parents, but it was jawed who took the final decicion.

When he decided to give up his share and go back to gradualte school, the valuation of that company was already in the 100 Mil level. Ofcourse, he never realized how much he is going to loose, but he knew that he was going loose money in the millions of dollar level. And eventually as per him (in the interview), the money he end up getting makes it irrelevant how much more he could have been making.

The only think I can say is, based on my conversation with him,his dad and his uncle is he may be indirectly pressured by the facts that, both of his parents are PHds and very accomplised by their own fields. He may have felt, he need to do more than just make some money to make his parents proud.

Trust me, Talked with him, his dad and his uncle who lives in Viriginia. They (Jawed's family) are not like your typical Bangladeshi Family.

Last edited by Fazal; October 20, 2006 at 12:21 PM..

Old October 20, 2006, 01:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

thanks for sharing but still a very bad decision. There is always time to go back to school. And he should know how fast internet companies rise. And I do not agree that the money he will get is irrelevant since the deal was so big. I guess he is not so smart after all If you don't want the money, donate to poor ppl like Buffet but make it first.

Jaha bayanno tahai tipanno true but jaha bayanno billion tahai tipanno billion noi!
Old October 20, 2006, 02:20 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
thanks for sharing but still a very bad decision. There is always time to go back to school. And he should know how fast internet companies rise. And I do not agree that the money he will get is irrelevant since the deal was so big. I guess he is not so smart after all If you don't want the money, donate to poor ppl like Buffet but make it first.

Jaha bayanno tahai tipanno true but jaha bayanno billion tahai tipanno billion noi!
I know what you mean. You can say that : moniterily he may not be so smart after all, and that's a valid point. But my comment was based on your assumption that his Bangladeshi parent somehow brain washed him, and I think he was not brain washed by his parents. He is very unique but not necessarily perfect. If he made mistake and lots of people things he did (including his uncle); he did it all by his own.

He could have given couple of millions from the money he lost to his uncle in VA; and his uncle could have thrown some lavish parties; and I could have some free foods. All are lost now.
Old February 8, 2007, 04:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Poor Jawed... Details of distribution released.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/08/tech...reut/index.htm

he only got 64 million whereas his partners got ~330!

I bet Javed probably did more work I mean CHad isn't really a programmer.
Old February 8, 2007, 05:30 PM
Cricket Sage

True Jawed was kind of ripped off financially by Chad the graphic artist (from pay pal) in the team. They didn't kept their promise. Howeever Jawed will get his money much quicker than his partners who have some condition when they will be able to cash in and how long they need to stay with the you tube. basically they are stuck with you tube for a while (even though its been sold)

In the mean time Jawed already joined with the venture capital, Sequoia Capital, as one of the new partners. He is also having all kinds of business meetings with big shots like CEO of eBay and others, he is already planning to open a small start-up company in MN, his home town. This guy has full of ideas in his head. Now he has the money, credibility (that he can do it) and connection with all big shots in the silicon valley. The insiders already know who was the main brain in YouTube, and they are cutting the weed and directly talking with him to be the partner in his next project.

Compare to what lots of other successful people loose in their early life, javed kind of lost but end up having 64 mil dollare ricker in the process and people are linning up to be his next partner. next time he is not going to make the same mistake.

I say just don't forget his name yet, it will come back again and again in the timelight in the future... its just the begining of his career.

Last edited by Fazal; February 8, 2007 at 05:41 PM..
Old June 24, 2008, 10:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Jawed's interview highlight in cnbc talk breifly about one of his few new projects i.e. talkbox.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=776692906
Old June 24, 2008, 10:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

The reporter was on The Apprentice.

Cool ap. I will look into it.